Coronavirus prep

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    mockchoc wrote: »
    mockchoc wrote: »
    NY just ordered all gyms and restaurants closed at 10pm on Friday. No more take out liquor. I'm having a sad.

So update on that... the governor meant a 10 o clock curfew on gyms and restaurants. Makes no sense since most gyms already close by that time and restaurants have to close by midnight.

Our state numbers are up to 2.9% positive. Arbitrary rules make no sense to me.

Does he not realise the virus is active 24 hours a day? Unbelievable. Also if they stop take out liquor some that are desperate will start smashing there way into the shops to get some.

1) I expect the behavior of people still in bars and restaurants from 10 p.m. to midnight is different from people during the hours that dinner is normally served. Those people are much more likely to be there just to drink, which loosens inhibitions, and likely loosens compliance with protocols like wearing your mask when you aren't actually eating or drinking, and staying at your own table rather than going around the room trying to chat up good-looking strangers. (I've occasionally had to try to find someplace for dinner at nine-ish when traveling for business, and pretty much any sit-down place that is open at that hour isn't serving meals anymore.)

2) the alcohol restriction is just for restaurants with liquor licenses on carryout and delivery orders after 10 p.m. You can get food delivered, but you can't get alcohol delivered from a restaurant after 10 p.m. It's nothing to do with "shops" that sell alcohol, so no need for people to start smashing their way in.

1) I was thinking of gyms mostly but of course I get what you are saying about bars etc...

2) Good to hear about the alcohol. We never have been able to get alcohol delivered from restaurants until recently so to me I carry out to me means a different thing. We don't use those terms here usually.

Sorry, I totally missed the gyms. Completely agree with on the stupidity of a curfew for gyms. People need to be active for their health, and if a gym can afford to staff itself for longer hours, that means usage can be spread out over more hours and the gyms hopefully won't be pushing up against whatever capacity limits are in place.

Yeah, takeout drinks from a restaurant -- especially cocktails in plastic cups with lids -- is a new thing here (mid-Atlantic coast U.S.), too. It's only been the last few years that they started letting you take an unfinished bottle of wine home (which probably cuts down on DUI, since people don't feel compelled to finish off a bottle in the restaurant just to keep from wasting money). I haven't taken advantage of it, but I think it's a good idea, and lets people support the bartenders at their local spots.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    I ordered an oximeter from Amazon but it seemed very inaccurate. Would read my husbands, but not mine. Sent it back. Got one from Walmart that seems a lot better.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited November 2020
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    WTH I was all set to get back to helping my sister on Monday when dh's test came back(assuming it came out negative). Now instead of 2-3 days, they told him it'll be 5-7 days. :(

And I agree Diatonic, either allergy or teething germs used to run amok through out my daycare. :neutral: We'd all catch them

That's a bummer. I feel for you. The first time my daughter tested was after a confirmed exposure this summer, and her results took 14 & 16 days (tested twice 2 days apart, as 2 negs were recommended before normal contact back then). The exposure was 5 days prior to her first test, so both results came after her quarantine was over. Totally useless. And because it was useless, a waste of testing resources. Also a wasted effort was her 2 weeks of isolation and 3 other family members' 2 week quarantine. Really, a modicum, of project management could make the whole testing situation so much more useful.

Wow, talk about putting your life on hold. :(
    It's frustrating to go through all that but then see photos of people everywhere, no proper masking, groups of a lot of people together, etc. Looking at our local paper this a.m., there were quite a few photos of sports teams, masks around their neck, hugging and jumping, I just do NOT understand. And this, after over 90 positive cases just a couple of weeks ago, all stemming from a hockey game. SMH Everybody says 'but you can't shut schools and sports down'. Well, if something drastic isn't done soon, I feel it'll happen eventually anyways. :(

I have a question though: dh tested this a.m. and received a bunch of information. I read through it all and still cannot figure out if *I* can go get groceries or not?? It only mentioned if a person tests positive or has been around anyone testing positive, from what I can see. He has not tested positive, has not been around anyone(that he knows of) that tested positive, AND he feels better today with no fever. Figures huh?? :/ I mean I'm glad he's acting fine today, I really am :) but still life is on hold. I always wear a mask, keep my distance and use hand sanitizer. Now I'm realizing how NOT stocked up we are.

Might be a good week to have groceries delivered just to be on the safe side (if you have that option near you). If not, think about asking a friend.

I'm glad he's feeling better! Likely all the years at the high school helped him be exposed to everything under the sun. I hope you stay well.
  • lokihen
    lokihen Posts: 382 Member
    I checked the Sam's Club site to see the status of paper goods. Out of paper towels but toilet paper was still available online, although not at the local store.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    NY just ordered all gyms and restaurants closed at 10pm on Friday. No more take out liquor. I'm having a sad.

So update on that... the governor meant a 10 o clock curfew on gyms and restaurants. Makes no sense since most gyms already close by that time and restaurants have to close by midnight.

The argument for bars/restaurants that serve alcohol makes some sense to me, based on the idea that as people linger and drink more it's harder to enforce the rules. The gym thing is just bizarre.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    WTH I was all set to get back to helping my sister on Monday when dh's test came back(assuming it came out negative). Now instead of 2-3 days, they told him it'll be 5-7 days. :(

And I agree Diatonic, either allergy or teething germs used to run amok through out my daycare. :neutral: We'd all catch them

That's a bummer. I feel for you. The first time my daughter tested was after a confirmed exposure this summer, and her results took 14 & 16 days (tested twice 2 days apart, as 2 negs were recommended before normal contact back then). The exposure was 5 days prior to her first test, so both results came after her quarantine was over. Totally useless. And because it was useless, a waste of testing resources. Also a wasted effort was her 2 weeks of isolation and 3 other family members' 2 week quarantine. Really, a modicum, of project management could make the whole testing situation so much more useful.

It's frustrating to go through all that but then see photos of people everywhere, no proper masking, groups of a lot of people together, etc. Looking at our local paper this a.m., there were quite a few photos of sports teams, masks around their neck, hugging and jumping, I just do NOT understand. And this, after over 90 positive cases just a couple of weeks ago, all stemming from a hockey game. SMH Everybody says 'but you can't shut schools and sports down'. Well, if something drastic isn't done soon, I feel it'll happen eventually anyways. :(

I have a question though: dh tested this a.m. and received a bunch of information. I read through it all and still cannot figure out if *I* can go get groceries or not?? It only mentioned if a person tests positive or has been around anyone testing positive, from what I can see. He has not tested positive, has not been around anyone(that he knows of) that tested positive, AND he feels better today with no fever. Figures huh?? :/ I mean I'm glad he's acting fine today, I really am :) but still life is on hold. I always wear a mask, keep my distance and use hand sanitizer. Now I'm realizing how NOT stocked up we are.

My sister's SO was notified that he had been exposed and got tested on Wednesday. The test is supposed to come back tomorrow, and I hope it does. She's self quarantining and not going to the grocery or anything.

(She doesn't have a car so is stressing about how to get tested if the other test does come back positive, but most likely here there are testing places in walking distance and she can call to ask how to do it.)
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited November 2020

Found this:

Common question
    What if I have been around someone who was identified as a close contact to a person with COVID-19?

If you have been around someone who was identified as a close contact to a person with COVID-19, closely monitor yourself for any symptoms of COVID-19. You do not need to self-quarantine unless you develop symptoms or if the person identified as a close contact develops COVID-19.

Nov 5, 2020

Coronavirus (COVID-19) frequently asked questions | CDC

That said, might not be a bad idea to act like you have it.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    edited November 2020
    @MikePfirrman Re the oximeter, yes, I am just watching for my normal daily (have relatively controlled asthma) instead of watching for a particular number, so will watch for big variation. The one that didn't work would read a number for husband, but would not even give me a number.
    The 12-15 yr age group seems to be really hit right now here.

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

The argument for bars/restaurants that serve alcohol makes some sense to me, based on the idea that as people linger and drink more it's harder to enforce the rules. The gym thing is just bizarre.

It's just seems too little too late... lingering during the summer I saw. Lingering around outside during a NYC winter I do not see.