Options

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    baconslave wrote: »
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    Pfizer just announced that their vaccine is testing at 90% effective. That would be fantastic.

Also, BTW, Pfizer did not partake in Operation Warp Speed because they didn't want to obligate themselves to what taking public funds would mean. They did this pretty much on their own without help. Just in case you hear certain parties/people taking claim that "they alone" solved Coronavirus, that would be 100% false.

In addition they will do the distribution themselves because they have suppliers already lined-up. They know how to do it, and I think that they don't trust the ability of the government to keep the vaccine as such low temperatures as it is needed.

Word of caution: Pfizer just run what is called an interim efficacy analysis. They are still continuing with the study since not all participants have completed the second shot and the f/up vigilance phase. The company still needs to do the interim safety analysis (due toward the end of November), before they can apply for an FDA expedite approval. If everything is good.

We got good news from the company but please people don't count your chickens until all the eggs have hatched. Disappointments are hard to swallow.

Right.
    And it's very important to remember that they are saying they'll have enough vaccine for only 25 million people. The CDC has said that health care workers are first in line. Then the elderly. "Widespread" vaccine availability for everyone won't be until next year. Masking and distancing will remain our reality for the rest of this year and most of next. Even then everyone won't get the vaccine at once, many require 2 doses, and coverage of the populace won't be 100% b/c sadly many won't take any vaccine no matter what.

We should all go forward knowing this will be over, but we still have quite a way to go. That's what is.

Regardless of vaccine status, we are locked into this path right now crafted by consequences we've courted for 8 months. There will be suffering. Even if everyone started following guidelines right this moment, we would still have a rough month and a half ahead. A vaccine isn't a point-n-click solution either. And I hold out zero hopes that we'll get much better mask/distancing compliance at this point.

There is a light!!! But the tunnel is still long. :disappointed:

Sorry to be a downer, but like Mike said, we've had enough disappointment. Let's be real and not hurt ourselves more than the wounds we're already accruing here. I do hope at some point soon the leadership of this country, whomever that ends up being, will have this talk with the American people. IMO, we'd do better to frame this as a "war time" effort.

The U.S. government is buying 100 million vaccines, not 25 million. Yes, healthcare workers get priority. We expected that as it was discussed months ago. Still, 100 million should be enough for healthcare workers plus some for people at higher risk. We need more for the rest of the country yet, but don't know how many more. I know some people won't take it and others won't need it because of a recent infection. At $1,950 per vaccine (this is what the federal government will pay Pfizer... they will be free for actual recipients), let's hope for a price discount on the 2nd order.

Place where I used to live in IA is a small town with a prison. Last week's numbers showed 365 new infections at the prison... the capacity is 1,000 and I have heard they are at about 900 now, so 365 cases means about 40% got sick just on the same week. I anticipate the other 60% will be reported in the next 2 weeks. While some may not care about inmates, these are people also. They have families and friends, and some of them also have underlying health conditions to consider. I sure hope they give them masks, but am not convinced of that with how fast it has spread there.

They may be buying 100 mil, but it will only be available for 25 million people (50 million doses, 2 each required per person) this year.

"Pfizer has estimated it could have 50 million doses available globally by the end of 2020, enough for 25 million people." https://apnews.com/article/pfizer-vaccine-effective-early-data-4f4ae2e3bad122d17742be22a2240ae8

That's by the end of 2020 and those 50 million doses are for the entire world. The reporting on the U.S. 100 million doses doesn't have a date attached.

From the article you linked:
    But in July, Pfizer signed a contract to supply the U.S. with 100 million doses for $1.95 billion, assuming the vaccine is cleared by the FDA.

But I suppose if it takes 2 doses per person, then only 50 million Americans will get it unless another order is placed. And cost is nearly $4K per patient. Either way, we are looking at several months before this becomes available to most of us.

Yep. All of that's what I'm sayin'. :smile:
    So if the Pfizer vax is only providing 50mil doses end of year GLOBALLY, how many are the US going to get "immediately" when they are ready?
    The "doom" of that thought aside, there are other vaccines on the way. I don't have specifics on how that's still tracking, but HHS says 300mil but with "initial doses" available in January 2021. Whatever that means. Maybe someone else reading knows more. Let's hope these are also as highly effective.

So, yeah. Still def not point-n-click, unfortunately.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,058 Member
    Options
    This (link below) is all kind of early speculate-y arm-wave-y vapor, but interesting to think about, so I'm sharing.

https://www.engadget.com/nasal-spray-prevents-covid-19-infections-204611720.html

Don't read too much into my posting it: Not boosting/advocating, rather posting more in the spirit of " . . . hmm, wonder what strange but helpful avenues might remain unexplored as yet" (whether this turns out to be one, or not)
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    This (link below) is all kind of early speculate-y arm-wave-y vapor, but interesting to think about, so I'm sharing.

https://www.engadget.com/nasal-spray-prevents-covid-19-infections-204611720.html

Don't read too much into my posting it: Not boosting/advocating, rather posting more in the spirit of " . . . hmm, wonder what strange but helpful avenues might remain unexplored as yet" (whether this turns out to be one, or not)

I saw that today on Linkedin as well Ann. Looks interesting. Anything can help, that's for sure.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    @kimny72 and others following vaccine research closely - how do they get that 90%? Are they exposing the test subjects? That seems unethical, but if they are not, how would they know the subjects didn't get Covid because they simply were not exposed to it?

https://www.statnews.com/2020/11/09/covid-19-vaccine-from-pfizer-and-biontech-is-strongly-effective-early-data-from-large-trial-indicate/

...The companies said an early analysis of the results showed that individuals who received two injections of the vaccine three weeks apart experienced more than 90% fewer cases of symptomatic Covid-19 than those who received a placebo.

Once there are enough numbers, they decide it's an effect, not random chance. Statistics. (It's too long since I did any advanced stats, so I'm literally incapable of explaining the details, but it's a standard protocol.)

I don't know enough about this study to know the control/treated matching protocols (how detailed), but the answer is still statistics.

There are some challenge studies (where people are intentionally exposed) but I don't personally know whether Pfizer did any. It's not unethical to expose test subjects who sign up for the study with full knowledge (informed consent) that they are going to be intentionally exposed to the disease. Volunteers are solicited, and brave, generous people sign up for it, in the hope of speeding vaccine availability . . . if the vaccine they're helping test pans out.

I don't think this you meant to imply the volunteers' effort isn't worth it if the vaccine they're helping test doesn't pan out, but just want to clarify that even if that particular vaccine doesn't pan out, the courage and generosity of volunteers still helps to speed vaccine availability, because researchers and testing infrastructure can be reallocated to a new vaccine candidate more quickly than would be possible if testing had to wait for sufficient data under non-challenge conditions == assuming the choice is between a challenge test and a test in a population without significant community spread.

Right now I would think there are plenty of spots in the U.S. and some other parts of the world with enough community spread not to have to do a challenge test, but I guess one of the problems is that community prevalence bounces up and down with the adoption and abandonment of masking and distancing and capacity practices, maybe it's hard to pick a place to recruit test participants.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    @kimny72 and others following vaccine research closely - how do they get that 90%? Are they exposing the test subjects? That seems unethical, but if they are not, how would they know the subjects didn't get Covid because they simply were not exposed to it?

https://www.statnews.com/2020/11/09/covid-19-vaccine-from-pfizer-and-biontech-is-strongly-effective-early-data-from-large-trial-indicate/

...The companies said an early analysis of the results showed that individuals who received two injections of the vaccine three weeks apart experienced more than 90% fewer cases of symptomatic Covid-19 than those who received a placebo.

The last podcast I listened to dropped before the Pfizer news so I'm anxious to hear what they have to say about it. But I'd suspect there's some tried and true statistical extrapolation going on to arrive at that 90% figure. I think the most important thing though is they are starting to see proof that they understand the virus and are able to target it effectively, both with medications and now with vaccines.

A downside of the Pfizer vaccine is it must be kept significantly cold, which will be a shipping challenge and might limit vaccination locations. But it's a proof of concept that suggests all the other vaccines are most likely on the right track as well and we might end up with several good vaccines by next summer making it easier to get more people some kind of protection.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,058 Member
    Options

Once there are enough numbers, they decide it's an effect, not random chance. Statistics. (It's too long since I did any advanced stats, so I'm literally incapable of explaining the details, but it's a standard protocol.)

I don't know enough about this study to know the control/treated matching protocols (how detailed), but the answer is still statistics.

There are some challenge studies (where people are intentionally exposed) but I don't personally know whether Pfizer did any. It's not unethical to expose test subjects who sign up for the study with full knowledge (informed consent) that they are going to be intentionally exposed to the disease. Volunteers are solicited, and brave, generous people sign up for it, in the hope of speeding vaccine availability . . . if the vaccine they're helping test pans out.

I don't think this you meant to imply the volunteers' effort isn't worth it if the vaccine they're helping test doesn't pan out, but just want to clarify that even if that particular vaccine doesn't pan out, the courage and generosity of volunteers still helps to speed vaccine availability, because researchers and testing infrastructure can be reallocated to a new vaccine candidate more quickly than would be possible if testing had to wait for sufficient data under non-challenge conditions == assuming the choice is between a challenge test and a test in a population without significant community spread.

Right now I would think there are plenty of spots in the U.S. and some other parts of the world with enough community spread not to have to do a challenge test, but I guess one of the problems is that community prevalence bounces up and down with the adoption and abandonment of masking and distancing and capacity practices, maybe it's hard to pick a place to recruit test participants.

Yes, poorly written. I meant that the volunteers sign up in the hope of speeding availability (i.e., they put themselves at higher risk, via intentional exposure, in the hope that a challenge test will produce faster results than a normal community-spread test (administer vaccine, tell everyone to play it safe with exposure, and see who gets Covid anyway). They do speed overall progress even if their particular trial vaccine doesn't work, but I expect their hope is that it *will* work and speed delivery of that specific working vaccine to the rest of the population.

Thanks for clarifying my thought.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    So I'm a veteran (but please don't thank me for my service.) Every year I look forward to seeing the list of freebies that businesses are offering and usually get a free meal somewhere. Where I currently live, there are hardly any national chain restaurants near me, but the ones that are are only offering the discount for dine-in only. WTF? I've always gotten take out in the past. I haven't eaten in a restaurant for 10 months and have no intention of eating in one any time soon.

Even Dunkin Donuts says "in store only." I'm sure if I went to the drive through they'd give me my free donut but I find the insistence on making me come inside the store from every place I've checked very disconcerting. (I'm also sure local chains would let me get takeout but there aren't many close enough to bother and now I'm annoyed.)

https://news.dunkindonuts.com/news/veterans-day-2020

https://www.blogs.va.gov/VAntage/80347/veterans-day-2020-discounts/

If they really are in-restaurant only and aren't just wording it badly, how ridiculous. You should try the takeout just to see what they say (plus isn't DD a MA staple?). Sorry, couldn't resist!

I'm with you that I'm not going in a restaurant any time soon, although I've tried to use takeout to support local places, and been buying a lot with pickup from my neighborhood stores (most are currently open but limited the # of people allowed within). I recently did a pickup order from a spice place and the number within were below the posted (small) limit, but the whole area (the shopping/social area of Lincoln Square) was lots of youngish adults and their kids being maskless and drinking coffee and hanging out in close proximity to each other and with zero concern about distancing from anyone else, so I think the being outside is totally fine thing might be being abused in urban areas. I'm sympathetic to the view that getting back to normal is important, and the weather here has been unseasonally great for a while until tonight, but currently cases are exploding here.