Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    SModa61 wrote: »
    Here's my 5 min on mfp today. Was listening to the radio this AM while walking the cats. This particular show host is fully against vaccines which has caused me to limit whether I bother to listen to him. This AM he was recounting which catagories of people are most avoiding vaccinations. He mentioned the usual list of ethnicities and the like, but then he added that PhD's are highly avoiding vaccination (I do remember seeing such a headline but did not bothered to read). He was touting it like that was a more relevant point than I personally would give it credit to be. He continued on saying how all these "highly educated" people are avoiding the vaccine and that that should be indicative to us, the listeners. My thought is that that point might be more valuable if they were MD or select PhD with a pertinent knowledge base that were avoiding the vaccines. IMM does a PhD in dramaturgy really have greater insights into vaccine safety than a general population individual? Those are my thoughts for the day, and I found it annoying that the talk show host thinks we are too stupid to not see the flaw in his argument.

Back to cleaning and packing the house........

I'm resting from packing myself (we are moving in a few months - you?) and was able to verify the hesitancy among PhD's but have not been able to find more details. When it says "by May PhD’s were the most hesitant group" I don't know if that means among education only or among all groups.

https://www.cmu.edu/dietrich/news/news-stories/2021/july/covid-hesitancy.html

...The largest decrease in hesitancy between January and May by education group was in those with a high school education or less. Hesitancy held constant in the most educated group (those with a PhD); by May PhD’s were the most hesitant group. While vaccine hesitancy decreased across virtually all racial groups, Black people and Pacific Islanders had the largest decreases, joining Hispanics and Asians at having lower vaccine hesitancy than white people in May.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Here's my 5 min on mfp today. Was listening to the radio this AM while walking the cats. This particular show host is fully against vaccines which has caused me to limit whether I bother to listen to him. This AM he was recounting which catagories of people are most avoiding vaccinations. He mentioned the usual list of ethnicities and the like, but then he added that PhD's are highly avoiding vaccination (I do remember seeing such a headline but did not bothered to read). He was touting it like that was a more relevant point than I personally would give it credit to be. He continued on saying how all these "highly educated" people are avoiding the vaccine and that that should be indicative to us, the listeners. My thought is that that point might be more valuable if they were MD or select PhD with a pertinent knowledge base that were avoiding the vaccines. IMM does a PhD in dramaturgy really have greater insights into vaccine safety than a general population individual? Those are my thoughts for the day, and I found it annoying that the talk show host thinks we are too stupid to not see the flaw in his argument.

Aren't there doctors in Florida protesting(or threatening to protest) due to the unvaccinated? Looking on a map and I noticed Florida, along with some other SE states are inundated with Covid again. :(
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Had to come back.

Just got real for me an hour ago. Got news of the first people, whom I personally know, to die of COVID. The husband and wife of a family run small florida restaurant both died in the same day (Yesterday I think). Their son and their niece (waitress) both have COVID as well. I am shocked and devastated. They were beyond lovely people and during the first COVID wave continued to pay their staff despite the restaurant's forced closure.

I'm so sorry. :( {{Hugs}}
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    It's actually easy here in Tx to get a booster. I was just talking to one of my friends yesterday morning about it (she is immuno compromised) and got her 2nd shot in Feb I think. She was able to walk right in to the pharmacy and get her booster yesterday afternoon. It will be interesting to see if she has any reaction to the 3rd. So far all reports I have heard are just arm soreness and nothing like the 2nd shot. She got Moderna I think. (and looks like that poster was quite successful in getting the other thread shut down).

On another note maybe MORE people will be encouraged to and will be able to get the antibodies now that our Governor has made them more in the news again.

I don't think that was a "booster". I think she got a regular shot which are widely available to walk into any pharmacy and get. So she got herself a third shot, but not necessarily a "booster". Per the CDC, boosters won't be available until the fall after full FDA approval (which happened yesterday August 23). From what I've read, these won't be just walk in and get...you will get a notification that you are eligible as per the date of your 2nd shot. It will go in the same order that the original shots were prioritized.

This is per the CDC on 8/20/21...so not really sure what your friend got here...maybe it was a booster and they were just starting before the official announcement of FDA approval or something. I won't be eligible to get mine until Dec as my 2nd shot was April 2 per the CDC.

Not speaking for SummerSkier or her friend here, but immunocompromised people are eligible for actual "booster" vaccinations now, officially, and at a shorter time horizon than planned for regular people later. (It's 28 days after the 2nd shot, for this group, and applies to Pfizer and Moderna.)

It appears that the rules and conditions for getting this vary locally/regionally, possibly especially now, as I think this was a quite-sudden announcement, not one that was preannounced as is happening for the regular booster situation. I think the bureaucracies are playing catch-up on this rule, maybe.

Details:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/recommendations/immuno.html

Details about what is meant by "immunocompromised", in this context, are at that link.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    It's actually easy here in Tx to get a booster. I was just talking to one of my friends yesterday morning about it (she is immuno compromised) and got her 2nd shot in Feb I think. She was able to walk right in to the pharmacy and get her booster yesterday afternoon. It will be interesting to see if she has any reaction to the 3rd. So far all reports I have heard are just arm soreness and nothing like the 2nd shot. She got Moderna I think. (and looks like that poster was quite successful in getting the other thread shut down).

On another note maybe MORE people will be encouraged to and will be able to get the antibodies now that our Governor has made them more in the news again.

I don't think that was a "booster". I think she got a regular shot which are widely available to walk into any pharmacy and get. So she got herself a third shot, but not necessarily a "booster". Per the CDC, boosters won't be available until the fall after full FDA approval (which happened yesterday August 23). From what I've read, these won't be just walk in and get...you will get a notification that you are eligible as per the date of your 2nd shot. It will go in the same order that the original shots were prioritized.

This is per the CDC on 8/20/21...so not really sure what your friend got here...maybe it was a booster and they were just starting before the official announcement of FDA approval or something. I won't be eligible to get mine until Dec as my 2nd shot was April 2 per the CDC.

Not speaking for SummerSkier or her friend here, but immunocompromised people are eligible for actual "booster" vaccinations now, officially, and at a shorter time horizon than planned for regular people later. (It's 28 days after the 2nd shot, for this group, and applies to Pfizer and Moderna.)

It appears that the rules and conditions for getting this vary locally/regionally, possibly especially now, as I think this was a quite-sudden announcement, not one that was preannounced as is happening for the regular booster situation. I think the bureaucracies are playing catch-up on this rule, maybe.

Details:

Details about what is meant by "immunocompromised", in this context, are at that link.

Ah, that makes sense.

All I've heard from our state DOH is that we will be notified when we are eligible for our booster and that we will not be given it if we just go to the pharmacy without proof of eligibility, though you can still just walk in and get your initial doses. I just hope that doesn't confuse people here who are unvaxed and now think they have to wait again for eligibility.

It will be easy to walk in and get it when eligible, but you can't just walk in now and get it unless you're in the group that is currently being prioritized. The post made me think that in Tx for some reason, any old someone could just walk in and get their booster regardless of where they are in line.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I'm resting from packing myself (we are moving in a few months - you?) and was able to verify the hesitancy among PhD's but have not been able to find more details. When it says "by May PhD’s were the most hesitant group" I don't know if that means among education only or among all groups.

https://www.cmu.edu/dietrich/news/news-stories/2021/july/covid-hesitancy.html

...The largest decrease in hesitancy between January and May by education group was in those with a high school education or less. Hesitancy held constant in the most educated group (those with a PhD); by May PhD’s were the most hesitant group. While vaccine hesitancy decreased across virtually all racial groups, Black people and Pacific Islanders had the largest decreases, joining Hispanics and Asians at having lower vaccine hesitancy than white people in May.

@kshama2001 I will be honest, as I said I saw a headline mentioning PhD's but I have no idea what source. I was on my computer, but have no further details as I did not open the article. My reason for bringing it all up is that I just found the claim made by the talk show host to be self serving for his show. Lots of people make convenient statements hoping no one will look at the quality of the data behind it. In this case stating "PhD's......" like every PhD is better informed about COVID than other people, or any topic for that matter. In contrast, there are many well informed people here in this group (note that I am not including myself in this list) and I bet they do not all have "phD's". Hope my point is making sense.....

Thanks for the article. If I were to poll within my own family, every PhD is vaccinated (along with all the MD). The primary vaccine refusers in my family are two with chiropractic degrees and a wife of one. There are two others, but they did have COVID and claim they are delaying their vaccine. Not sure where to rank them.

Moving? Passing papers on a down sizing townhouse this friday. Have had painters and contractors in my house 6 days a week from July 12 -Aug 15. Packing, decluttering, giving away and dumping. We hand house to real estate for listing the Friday after. I have since said that for the time, I am just going to die in my house. At the moment it sounds preferable.....
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options

I'm nearly certain there was no difference between the first and second shot for the two-shot vaccines, and my impression has been that the third shots that are already being given (in the U.S.) to especially vulnerable individuals are no different from the first and second shots (as far as I can tell, the boosters at this point are only for folks who got Moderna or Pfizer, not the one-shot J&J). So if you get yourself a third shot, you have gotten a booster, even if the pharmacist didn't know it was a third shot.

Maybe you were looking at something different, or perhaps using different terminology, but the CDC guidance on boosters that I see is not tied to full FDA approval (which I take to mean non-emergency authorization?), but to a separate investigation of the efficacy and safety of a third dose.

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2021/s0818-covid-19-booster-shots.html

and on booster shots for the vulnerable

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options

Details:

Ah, that makes sense.

All I've heard from our state DOH is that we will be notified when we are eligible for our booster and that we will not be given it if we just go to the pharmacy without proof of eligibility, though you can still just walk in and get your initial doses. I just hope that doesn't confuse people here who are unvaxed and now think they have to wait again for eligibility.

It will be easy to walk in and get it when eligible, but you can't just walk in now and get it unless you're in the group that is currently being prioritized. The post made me think that in Tx for some reason, any old someone could just walk in and get their booster regardless of where they are in line.

But there's no paperwork (other than an ID) required to get your first dose, and nobody is getting an indelible stamp when they get their initial doses, so all anybody who wants a booster has to do is go into a pharmacy and lie if asked about whether they've had a vaccination yet, right?

I know the info about vaccinations in our state and at least some others is supposed to be uploaded to a central database, but I don't think they check it for each person coming in before administering the vaccine, do they? I was vaccinated in a sort of pop-up clinic at a church, so I don't know what it's like for covid vaccines administered in an actual pharmacy. Nobody was putting data into a computer in real time until the end of the line (after vaccination) when they were helping people who needed help sign up for the second dose. Maybe it's different at a pharmacy. I haven't been able to get confirmation of my vaccination from the state database, just from the database run by the pharmacy that staffed the clinic. So maybe people who are trying to jump queue could just go to a different pharmacy chain or other provider from where they got the original doses.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options

Details:

Ah, that makes sense.

But there's no paperwork (other than an ID) required to get your first dose, and nobody is getting an indelible stamp when they get their initial doses, so all anybody who wants a booster has to do is go into a pharmacy and lie if asked about whether they've had a vaccination yet, right?

I know the info about vaccinations in our state and at least some others is supposed to be uploaded to a central database, but I don't think they check it for each person coming in before administering the vaccine, do they? I was vaccinated in a sort of pop-up clinic at a church, so I don't know what it's like for covid vaccines administered in an actual pharmacy. Nobody was putting data into a computer in real time until the end of the line (after vaccination) when they were helping people who needed help sign up for the second dose. Maybe it's different at a pharmacy. I haven't been able to get confirmation of my vaccination from the state database, just from the database run by the pharmacy that staffed the clinic. So maybe people who are trying to jump queue could just go to a different pharmacy chain or other provider from where they got the original doses.

This did not work for my husband and I. They saw that we had been vaccinated, and the pharmacist would not vaccinate us again. This was just before all this current discussion on boosters. And it was not the same pharmacy we used before. So now we wait :).