Coronavirus prep

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    It's actually easy here in Tx to get a booster. I was just talking to one of my friends yesterday morning about it (she is immuno compromised) and got her 2nd shot in Feb I think. She was able to walk right in to the pharmacy and get her booster yesterday afternoon. It will be interesting to see if she has any reaction to the 3rd. So far all reports I have heard are just arm soreness and nothing like the 2nd shot. She got Moderna I think. (and looks like that poster was quite successful in getting the other thread shut down).

On another note maybe MORE people will be encouraged to and will be able to get the antibodies now that our Governor has made them more in the news again.

I don't think that was a "booster". I think she got a regular shot which are widely available to walk into any pharmacy and get. So she got herself a third shot, but not necessarily a "booster". Per the CDC, boosters won't be available until the fall after full FDA approval (which happened yesterday August 23). From what I've read, these won't be just walk in and get...you will get a notification that you are eligible as per the date of your 2nd shot. It will go in the same order that the original shots were prioritized.

This is per the CDC on 8/20/21...so not really sure what your friend got here...maybe it was a booster and they were just starting before the official announcement of FDA approval or something. I won't be eligible to get mine until Dec as my 2nd shot was April 2 per the CDC.

Not speaking for SummerSkier or her friend here, but immunocompromised people are eligible for actual "booster" vaccinations now, officially, and at a shorter time horizon than planned for regular people later. (It's 28 days after the 2nd shot, for this group, and applies to Pfizer and Moderna.)

It appears that the rules and conditions for getting this vary locally/regionally, possibly especially now, as I think this was a quite-sudden announcement, not one that was preannounced as is happening for the regular booster situation. I think the bureaucracies are playing catch-up on this rule, maybe.

Details:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/recommendations/immuno.html

Details about what is meant by "immunocompromised", in this context, are at that link.

Ah, that makes sense.

All I've heard from our state DOH is that we will be notified when we are eligible for our booster and that we will not be given it if we just go to the pharmacy without proof of eligibility, though you can still just walk in and get your initial doses. I just hope that doesn't confuse people here who are unvaxed and now think they have to wait again for eligibility.

It will be easy to walk in and get it when eligible, but you can't just walk in now and get it unless you're in the group that is currently being prioritized. The post made me think that in Tx for some reason, any old someone could just walk in and get their booster regardless of where they are in line.

But there's no paperwork (other than an ID) required to get your first dose, and nobody is getting an indelible stamp when they get their initial doses, so all anybody who wants a booster has to do is go into a pharmacy and lie if asked about whether they've had a vaccination yet, right?

I know the info about vaccinations in our state and at least some others is supposed to be uploaded to a central database, but I don't think they check it for each person coming in before administering the vaccine, do they? I was vaccinated in a sort of pop-up clinic at a church, so I don't know what it's like for covid vaccines administered in an actual pharmacy. Nobody was putting data into a computer in real time until the end of the line (after vaccination) when they were helping people who needed help sign up for the second dose. Maybe it's different at a pharmacy. I haven't been able to get confirmation of my vaccination from the state database, just from the database run by the pharmacy that staffed the clinic. So maybe people who are trying to jump queue could just go to a different pharmacy chain or other provider from where they got the original doses.

We are required to show the text or email or by mail paper work from our state DOH indicating we are eligible for a booster to the pharmacy. It is also recommended to bring your vaccination card, though the text or email from the DOH is sufficient documentation that you are eligible. Our DOH is rolling this out much in the same way they did the initial doses and they want to make sure things stay orderly and there isn't a run on vaccine.

With the initial vaccine rollout, they did the same thing...you couldn't get a shot until you received a text from the DOH that you were eligible and your shot was available and ready...it was this way until eligibility was everyone. This completely avoided the "southwest airlines" cattle call to get vaccinated...you simply waited to be notified and went to the testing facility they told you to go to at that date and time.

Our DOH handled the rollout of the initial vaccinations. Mass vax centers were all run by our DOH and data was input real time and I can look it up online as well as get a replacement card if I need one. I just had my annual physical this morning and one of the first things my Dr. said was, "ahhh...good...you had your COVID vaccine." So it's definitely uploaded and has been disseminated to Dr.s and such because I didn't say a word about it and was never asked.

Yes, as indicated up thread, things are different from state to state.

Yes, I was just responding to your questions like...
    But there's no paperwork (other than an ID) required to get your first dose, and nobody is getting an indelible stamp when they get their initial doses, so all anybody who wants a booster has to do is go into a pharmacy and lie if asked about whether they've had a vaccination yet, right?

and
    I know the info about vaccinations in our state and at least some others is supposed to be uploaded to a central database, but I don't think they check it for each person coming in before administering the vaccine, do they?

• ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,370 Member
    33gail33 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    SModa61 wrote: »
    Here's my 5 min on mfp today. Was listening to the radio this AM while walking the cats. This particular show host is fully against vaccines which has caused me to limit whether I bother to listen to him. This AM he was recounting which catagories of people are most avoiding vaccinations. He mentioned the usual list of ethnicities and the like, but then he added that PhD's are highly avoiding vaccination (I do remember seeing such a headline but did not bothered to read). He was touting it like that was a more relevant point than I personally would give it credit to be. He continued on saying how all these "highly educated" people are avoiding the vaccine and that that should be indicative to us, the listeners. My thought is that that point might be more valuable if they were MD or select PhD with a pertinent knowledge base that were avoiding the vaccines. IMM does a PhD in dramaturgy really have greater insights into vaccine safety than a general population individual? Those are my thoughts for the day, and I found it annoying that the talk show host thinks we are too stupid to not see the flaw in his argument.

Back to cleaning and packing the house........

I'm resting from packing myself (we are moving in a few months - you?) and was able to verify the hesitancy among PhD's but have not been able to find more details. When it says "by May PhD’s were the most hesitant group" I don't know if that means among education only or among all groups.

https://www.cmu.edu/dietrich/news/news-stories/2021/july/covid-hesitancy.html

...The largest decrease in hesitancy between January and May by education group was in those with a high school education or less. Hesitancy held constant in the most educated group (those with a PhD); by May PhD’s were the most hesitant group. While vaccine hesitancy decreased across virtually all racial groups, Black people and Pacific Islanders had the largest decreases, joining Hispanics and Asians at having lower vaccine hesitancy than white people in May.

@kshama2001 I will be honest, as I said I saw a headline mentioning PhD's but I have no idea what source. I was on my computer, but have no further details as I did not open the article. My reason for bringing it all up is that I just found the claim made by the talk show host to be self serving for his show. Lots of people make convenient statements hoping no one will look at the quality of the data behind it. In this case stating "PhD's......" like every PhD is better informed about COVID than other people, or any topic for that matter. In contrast, there are many well informed people here in this group (note that I am not including myself in this list) and I bet they do not all have "phD's". Hope my point is making sense.....

Thanks for the article. If I were to poll within my own family, every PhD is vaccinated (along with all the MD). The primary vaccine refusers in my family are two with chiropractic degrees and a wife of one. There are two others, but they did have COVID and claim they are delaying their vaccine. Not sure where to rank them.

Moving? Passing papers on a down sizing townhouse this friday. Have had painters and contractors in my house 6 days a week from July 12 -Aug 15. Packing, decluttering, giving away and dumping. We hand house to real estate for listing the Friday after. I have since said that for the time, I am just going to die in my house. At the moment it sounds preferable.....

@SModa61: Hopefully this move is my last move and I will die there, as did my grandfather, and as is the plan for my mother.

On the plus side, our soon-to-be-former house was only on the market for FOUR DAYS before we accepted a very good offer. 63% of the people who saw it put in offers, all over ask.

The pandemic has made the real estate market insane where I am, like the list price tells you nothing about how much something will sell for, you are basically bidding blind.

I tried to buy a property last week, bid 20% over asking, and wasn't even close (it sold for almost 70% over asking). Twelve offers so I knew it would go over, but no idea it would be that much.

It's the same thing at my end of the province. I have several friends whose kids are trying to buy first homes and even the starter/fixer-upper houses are going for crazy ridiculous prices.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    It's actually easy here in Tx to get a booster. I was just talking to one of my friends yesterday morning about it (she is immuno compromised) and got her 2nd shot in Feb I think. She was able to walk right in to the pharmacy and get her booster yesterday afternoon. It will be interesting to see if she has any reaction to the 3rd. So far all reports I have heard are just arm soreness and nothing like the 2nd shot. She got Moderna I think. (and looks like that poster was quite successful in getting the other thread shut down).

On another note maybe MORE people will be encouraged to and will be able to get the antibodies now that our Governor has made them more in the news again.

I don't think that was a "booster". I think she got a regular shot which are widely available to walk into any pharmacy and get. So she got herself a third shot, but not necessarily a "booster". Per the CDC, boosters won't be available until the fall after full FDA approval (which happened yesterday August 23). From what I've read, these won't be just walk in and get...you will get a notification that you are eligible as per the date of your 2nd shot. It will go in the same order that the original shots were prioritized.

This is per the CDC on 8/20/21...so not really sure what your friend got here...maybe it was a booster and they were just starting before the official announcement of FDA approval or something. I won't be eligible to get mine until Dec as my 2nd shot was April 2 per the CDC.

Not speaking for SummerSkier or her friend here, but immunocompromised people are eligible for actual "booster" vaccinations now, officially, and at a shorter time horizon than planned for regular people later. (It's 28 days after the 2nd shot, for this group, and applies to Pfizer and Moderna.)

It appears that the rules and conditions for getting this vary locally/regionally, possibly especially now, as I think this was a quite-sudden announcement, not one that was preannounced as is happening for the regular booster situation. I think the bureaucracies are playing catch-up on this rule, maybe.

Details:

Details about what is meant by "immunocompromised", in this context, are at that link.

Ah, that makes sense.

All I've heard from our state DOH is that we will be notified when we are eligible for our booster and that we will not be given it if we just go to the pharmacy without proof of eligibility, though you can still just walk in and get your initial doses. I just hope that doesn't confuse people here who are unvaxed and now think they have to wait again for eligibility.

It will be easy to walk in and get it when eligible, but you can't just walk in now and get it unless you're in the group that is currently being prioritized. The post made me think that in Tx for some reason, any old someone could just walk in and get their booster regardless of where they are in line.

I know the info about vaccinations in our state and at least some others is supposed to be uploaded to a central database, but I don't think they check it for each person coming in before administering the vaccine, do they? I was vaccinated in a sort of pop-up clinic at a church, so I don't know what it's like for covid vaccines administered in an actual pharmacy. Nobody was putting data into a computer in real time until the end of the line (after vaccination) when they were helping people who needed help sign up for the second dose. Maybe it's different at a pharmacy. I haven't been able to get confirmation of my vaccination from the state database, just from the database run by the pharmacy that staffed the clinic. So maybe people who are trying to jump queue could just go to a different pharmacy chain or other provider from where they got the original doses.

In theory, and I've thought about that, that you could just go to a pharmacy and pretend to be getting a first shot. But IME (I also did not get the first one in a pharmacy, but I have gotten the flu shot there), they ask for insurance information (you could lie and say you don't have any, but I could see them checking that) and the state supposedly has a database that I could see a pharmacy checking. So it seems risky or at least with a high embarrassment potential and if they find out you have insurance and it's not a legit covid shot but an unauthorized booster, maybe a bill. Dunno.

I got my shots through some appointments that were given to our alderman in the ward to schedule. All the aldermen seemed to be using different criteria (ours prioritized teachers but after that anyone eligible). My sister and a friend drove to another part of the state where they had excess, since the overall vax rate was lower.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member

Details:

Ah, that makes sense.

We are required to show the text or email or by mail paper work from our state DOH indicating we are eligible for a booster to the pharmacy. It is also recommended to bring your vaccination card, though the text or email from the DOH is sufficient documentation that you are eligible. Our DOH is rolling this out much in the same way they did the initial doses and they want to make sure things stay orderly and there isn't a run on vaccine.

With the initial vaccine rollout, they did the same thing...you couldn't get a shot until you received a text from the DOH that you were eligible and your shot was available and ready...it was this way until eligibility was everyone. This completely avoided the "southwest airlines" cattle call to get vaccinated...you simply waited to be notified and went to the testing facility they told you to go to at that date and time.

Our DOH handled the rollout of the initial vaccinations. Mass vax centers were all run by our DOH and data was input real time and I can look it up online as well as get a replacement card if I need one. I just had my annual physical this morning and one of the first things my Dr. said was, "ahhh...good...you had your COVID vaccine." So it's definitely uploaded and has been disseminated to Dr.s and such because I didn't say a word about it and was never asked.

Yes, as indicated up thread, things are different from state to state.

Yes, I was just responding to your questions like...

and
    I know the info about vaccinations in our state and at least some others is supposed to be uploaded to a central database, but I don't think they check it for each person coming in before administering the vaccine, do they?

Thanks. Sounds like your state is well prepared to prevent people from jumping queue on booster shots.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member
    ythannah wrote: »
    Here's my 5 min on mfp today. Was listening to the radio this AM while walking the cats. This particular show host is fully against vaccines which has caused me to limit whether I bother to listen to him. This AM he was recounting which catagories of people are most avoiding vaccinations. He mentioned the usual list of ethnicities and the like, but then he added that PhD's are highly avoiding vaccination (I do remember seeing such a headline but did not bothered to read). He was touting it like that was a more relevant point than I personally would give it credit to be. He continued on saying how all these "highly educated" people are avoiding the vaccine and that that should be indicative to us, the listeners. My thought is that that point might be more valuable if they were MD or select PhD with a pertinent knowledge base that were avoiding the vaccines. IMM does a PhD in dramaturgy really have greater insights into vaccine safety than a general population individual? Those are my thoughts for the day, and I found it annoying that the talk show host thinks we are too stupid to not see the flaw in his argument.

I'm resting from packing myself (we are moving in a few months - you?) and was able to verify the hesitancy among PhD's but have not been able to find more details. When it says "by May PhD’s were the most hesitant group" I don't know if that means among education only or among all groups.

...The largest decrease in hesitancy between January and May by education group was in those with a high school education or less. Hesitancy held constant in the most educated group (those with a PhD); by May PhD’s were the most hesitant group. While vaccine hesitancy decreased across virtually all racial groups, Black people and Pacific Islanders had the largest decreases, joining Hispanics and Asians at having lower vaccine hesitancy than white people in May.

@kshama2001 I will be honest, as I said I saw a headline mentioning PhD's but I have no idea what source. I was on my computer, but have no further details as I did not open the article. My reason for bringing it all up is that I just found the claim made by the talk show host to be self serving for his show. Lots of people make convenient statements hoping no one will look at the quality of the data behind it. In this case stating "PhD's......" like every PhD is better informed about COVID than other people, or any topic for that matter. In contrast, there are many well informed people here in this group (note that I am not including myself in this list) and I bet they do not all have "phD's". Hope my point is making sense.....

Thanks for the article. If I were to poll within my own family, every PhD is vaccinated (along with all the MD). The primary vaccine refusers in my family are two with chiropractic degrees and a wife of one. There are two others, but they did have COVID and claim they are delaying their vaccine. Not sure where to rank them.

Moving? Passing papers on a down sizing townhouse this friday. Have had painters and contractors in my house 6 days a week from July 12 -Aug 15. Packing, decluttering, giving away and dumping. We hand house to real estate for listing the Friday after. I have since said that for the time, I am just going to die in my house. At the moment it sounds preferable.....

@SModa61: Hopefully this move is my last move and I will die there, as did my grandfather, and as is the plan for my mother.

On the plus side, our soon-to-be-former house was only on the market for FOUR DAYS before we accepted a very good offer. 63% of the people who saw it put in offers, all over ask.

The pandemic has made the real estate market insane where I am, like the list price tells you nothing about how much something will sell for, you are basically bidding blind.

I tried to buy a property last week, bid 20% over asking, and wasn't even close (it sold for almost 70% over asking). Twelve offers so I knew it would go over, but no idea it would be that much.

It's the same thing at my end of the province. I have several friends whose kids are trying to buy first homes and even the starter/fixer-upper houses are going for crazy ridiculous prices.

Welcome to 2004. :smile:
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited August 2021
    I'm not a big fan of queue-jumping and don't have any plans to try to do it myself, but I have a hard time getting massively upset at someone who does it, given that we have vaccines expiring in the U.S., and no apparent plans to do the thing which would be at once most humane and most productive, which is to ship extra vaccine to countries that have never had enough vaccine to get a significant percentage of the population vaccinated.

If we're just going to let vaccine expire because vax resisters won't take it, it's better that it go in somebody's arm, even if it's only providing an incremental boost in protection to someone who's already better protected than billions of people around the world.

Yeah, 100% agree. Don't know current figures on wasted vaccine, but here are some ones from earlier in the month. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/01/us/covid-us-vaccine-wasted.html
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    https://news.yahoo.com/u-data-show-rising-breakthrough-181525317.html

Being vaccinated still gives us an edge to decrease the health care burden.

Locally death is increasing interest in getting vaccinated and of course some are glad to point out the vaccine protection is fading fast.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    ythannah wrote: »

Welcome to 2004. :smile:

Not sure where you are but housing is much worse here now than in 2004. Average house price in Ontario has tripled since then, wages have increased maybe 60%.
    Despite the fact that I have a ton of equity in the homes I own I hope that prices drop. I want my city to be livable for young people and new immigrants to be able to afford their own homes, not just us older folks sitting on millions of dollars of real estate at their expense. I don't know what is going to happen but the inequity in that is frightening to me.

My point is that in 2004 (and some period around that -- I think it lasted until 2007) in most of the U.S., homes routinely were selling in the first day they were listed with multiple offers significantly above asking. And you could have done the same look-back comparison at that time showing housing prices had increased several multiples over what wages had increased since some year 15 to 20 years back.

Skip forward to 2008-2010 and prices had plummeted and people were losing their homes because they had bought with ARMS or balloon mortgages and they had negative equity (aka they were "upside down"). So if this is a bubble, which it certainly looks like, you'll get your wish and prices will drop and you can then feel sorry for all the young people and new immigrants who stretched themselves too far to buy now.

I'm in Canada, as is the person you were responding too, so I was referring to the situation here. Our housing market didn't crash the same way as the US one did in 2007, due to various factors (that I won't get into due to already being wayyyy off topic for the thread.)

I do know some young people and new immigrants who have stretched themselves to buy this past year. And I will feel bad for them if they lose their homes/equity in a price drop situation. But not sure that the other scenario of the average home in my area maintaining a value of over 1M is any better. Someone is going to lose either way and it is tragic really.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Looks like antibody testing is getting more available as well, at little to no cost similar to the regular covid tests.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member

I'm not sure how those notifications will work since that data isn't always in a single place (aside from the paper vaccine card).

I got my 1st dose of Moderna in TN, then moved to TX and got my 2nd dose at a pharmacy here. In May, the county where I lived in TN called me wanting to know if I was going to schedule my 2nd shot. There is no single national / international database with all of those records for each individual.

ETA: The original shots were also not prioritized in a uniform fashion. This was also a state decision. This is part of the reason I was able to get it in TN in March. I knew I would be moving soon and TX considered Type 1 Diabetics in the "healthy" group while TN put us in the "comorbidity" group. I agreed with TN and made sure to get my first when able. I got it the same week they opened it up to residents with 1 comorbidity. I was able to schedule a 2nd dose in TX only because I had already received my 1st dose.

In my state, those records are held by our state DOH and we will be notified by our DOH when we are eligible and that record will have to be provided to the pharmacy. This is to avoid a run on vaccine and vaccine shortfalls. Our state is simply following the 8 month CDC guidance for when to send notifications. This keeps everyone in the same order as the first go around.

That's great for people who got both doses in the same state and there are consistent records. For those of us who got our 2 doses in 2 different states, the systems you described functions to prevent me from ever receiving a booster.