Coronavirus prep

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    https://youtu.be/20DxL8KhvgA

Starting at 23:40 is a detailed report from MS (USA).

In the first part Dr. Campbell covers the research of extra long term protection for those that get Covid-19 before or after being fully vaccinated. The pandemic should be moving to endemic mode when all are vaccinated and/or actually have Covid-19.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    I worry mostly about the children who haven't reached the right age yet to be vaccinated. And about the children whose parents are making choices for them that might not be making the best choice. :( Children pretty much have very little say.
    If adults don't want to vaccinate, then that's on them if things turn out badly. :( But I loathe thinking of all the ones whom they may infect along the way. :(

A question about Texas and schools reopening.....I have a nephew whose 2 children are back in school and masks haven't been mandated yet the Numbers are climbing terribly. Why no mandates? Last year, their school didn't require masks either; in fact, my nephew's 2 children were the only 2 children in their class picture, wearing masks.

Here, I know they're at least going into the year masking up and seeing how it goes.

In Texas, there are legal battles because the Governor has said schools cannot require masks, and some school districts have required masks. It then comes to a question of whose authority holds more weight. Last I heard, the Texas Supreme Court is allowing school districts to make mask mandates if they want, but only until the cases are decided. Wasn't this a similar legal issue in the Des Moines, Iowa public schools last year?
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    edited August 2021
    I think the Des Moines issue was in person vs online. She said so much percentage of classes had to be in person. (Don’t remember the exact percentage) Our governor signed a bill the end of May that schools cannot do a mask mandate. Schools start here on Tuesday.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,855 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    OK - I know I am going to get my normal 3 disagrees but here is my unpopular opinion.

I think requiring proof of vax or negative covid test to attend large events is useless in halting the spread of covid here in Tx.

Esp if the vax is >6 months old. Right now it's blooming like algae here and a lot of the vax are >6 months. The latest studies out of Israel seem to point to Pfizer protection dropping off radically after that time period. My guess is the others are similar. Why the CDC is coming out with 8 months seems a too conservative to me.

I understand that if you are vaxxed you are less likely to get seriously ill or hospitalized but with so many not vaccinated the spread continues. Esp with kids back in school this week.

Just today on my next door a poor gal was saying her kid was sick and she was unable to NOT go to work (to feed hundreds of people). She was having trouble getting him tested. Her situation is horrific for her. She has no insurance and can't afford to miss work. So will she be a spreader? most likely. Most of the stories I am seeing are younger kids getting the "stomach" virus. The ones that do get tested are mostly positive. Our positivity rate here is thru the roof. Usually after the kids get it the rest of the family does also. Because I mean what parent can isolate from a sick young child?

Will this never end?

Remember that each report that comes out is not yet peer reviewed like we normally expect them to be. While the numbers coming out of Israel suggest a drop off, data coming from other countries is very different. The difficulty for public health officials is they know the data can be misleading but they can't wait til it's thoroughly vetted because in the meantime people could get sick and die. They also have to balance in the unequal distribution of vaccine and healthcare access and keeping records on who's been vaccinated with what and how many times and who gets which side effects where.

Looking at previous pandemics, it takes several years to study the new virus, work through the data, and come up with the most effective prevention, treatment, and return to a new normal. It doesn't make it easier to get through in the moment, but we have actually learned a lot about this virus and created baseline vaccines and treatment protocols in a stunningly fast manner.

Your neighbor is in an unfairly tough situation. It's awful that in this day and age people don't have paid time off to care for family and access to affordable wellness care and testing. I'm sure it's a big contributor to a lot of the spread and vaccine hesitancy in working class communities. I read somewhere that many people w/o health insurance hear that the vaccine is free but assume that's only for people with insurance. And some of the chain pharmacies ask for your insurance card even though it's not necessary and scare uninsured people away.

This is all super stressful and scary, I'm sure moreso for people who have children or are at very high risk. I think we're going to have to get thru a tough fall and winter before the medical, public health, and research communities can really put all the pieces together and also get enough people properly vaccinated. :disappointed:

I don't mean to be a pollyanna, but I know the news is always focused on the bad stuff and I hope I'm reminding people that there are a lot of people working really hard behind the scenes to get us through this and it's a messy process that rarely gets reported accurately. Hang in there.

I agree with you about what a shame it is if uninsured people are scared away by being asked for an insurance card, but my impression is that pharmacies or doctor's office are allowed to charge the insurer for the cost of administering the vaccine, although not for the vaccine itself (think of it as parts v. labor when you get your car worked on). But they're not allowed to charge uninsured individuals for administering the vaccine (labor).

This is what I understand. They are free to the patient, but who pays (government of insurance) can vary. Interestingly, hubby had COVID test due to symptoms two weeks ago. Clearly stated insurance was to be presented upon arrival, but then they never asked for it. It was a chain pharmacy so maybe our data was in their system. We did not ask. For our vaccinations, we did give our insurance cards.

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    SModa61 wrote: »
    OK - I know I am going to get my normal 3 disagrees but here is my unpopular opinion.

I think requiring proof of vax or negative covid test to attend large events is useless in halting the spread of covid here in Tx.

Esp if the vax is >6 months old. Right now it's blooming like algae here and a lot of the vax are >6 months. The latest studies out of Israel seem to point to Pfizer protection dropping off radically after that time period. My guess is the others are similar. Why the CDC is coming out with 8 months seems a too conservative to me.

I understand that if you are vaxxed you are less likely to get seriously ill or hospitalized but with so many not vaccinated the spread continues. Esp with kids back in school this week.

Just today on my next door a poor gal was saying her kid was sick and she was unable to NOT go to work (to feed hundreds of people). She was having trouble getting him tested. Her situation is horrific for her. She has no insurance and can't afford to miss work. So will she be a spreader? most likely. Most of the stories I am seeing are younger kids getting the "stomach" virus. The ones that do get tested are mostly positive. Our positivity rate here is thru the roof. Usually after the kids get it the rest of the family does also. Because I mean what parent can isolate from a sick young child?

Will this never end?

Remember that each report that comes out is not yet peer reviewed like we normally expect them to be. While the numbers coming out of Israel suggest a drop off, data coming from other countries is very different. The difficulty for public health officials is they know the data can be misleading but they can't wait til it's thoroughly vetted because in the meantime people could get sick and die. They also have to balance in the unequal distribution of vaccine and healthcare access and keeping records on who's been vaccinated with what and how many times and who gets which side effects where.

Looking at previous pandemics, it takes several years to study the new virus, work through the data, and come up with the most effective prevention, treatment, and return to a new normal. It doesn't make it easier to get through in the moment, but we have actually learned a lot about this virus and created baseline vaccines and treatment protocols in a stunningly fast manner.

Your neighbor is in an unfairly tough situation. It's awful that in this day and age people don't have paid time off to care for family and access to affordable wellness care and testing. I'm sure it's a big contributor to a lot of the spread and vaccine hesitancy in working class communities. I read somewhere that many people w/o health insurance hear that the vaccine is free but assume that's only for people with insurance. And some of the chain pharmacies ask for your insurance card even though it's not necessary and scare uninsured people away.

This is all super stressful and scary, I'm sure moreso for people who have children or are at very high risk. I think we're going to have to get thru a tough fall and winter before the medical, public health, and research communities can really put all the pieces together and also get enough people properly vaccinated. :disappointed:

I don't mean to be a pollyanna, but I know the news is always focused on the bad stuff and I hope I'm reminding people that there are a lot of people working really hard behind the scenes to get us through this and it's a messy process that rarely gets reported accurately. Hang in there.

I agree with you about what a shame it is if uninsured people are scared away by being asked for an insurance card, but my impression is that pharmacies or doctor's office are allowed to charge the insurer for the cost of administering the vaccine, although not for the vaccine itself (think of it as parts v. labor when you get your car worked on). But they're not allowed to charge uninsured individuals for administering the vaccine (labor).

This is what I understand. They are free to the patient, but who pays (government of insurance) can vary. Interestingly, hubby had COVID test due to symptoms two weeks ago. Clearly stated insurance was to be presented upon arrival, but then they never asked for it. It was a chain pharmacy so maybe our data was in their system. We did not ask. For our vaccinations, we did give our insurance cards.

Got a couple letters from our insurance company saying if we got bill from a doctor for $1,065 each we should contact the insurance company and they would hold up harmless and fight the bills for us. We looked at the dates of service and realized it was when we go Covid tests (our tests were done at a "free" county health dept drive through clinic).

We had the tests back in January and never received any bill but apparently some had.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member

Will this never end?

That's a good point. Maybe it's the way it's asked, or just that uninsured people are already jumpy about getting stuck with a bill and even an innocent question scares them away and starts the rumor mill up!