Coronavirus prep

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,819 Member
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    For those who will have family/college kids staying with you over the holidays, how are preparing your homes?

We bought this last year for one daughter’s bedroom because she complained of allergies. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VGIGVY
    DH thinks it’s all placebo and actually does nothing. It purports to have UV radiation in addition to hepa filter. My dentist put them in all his exam rooms after reopening. I’m wondering if it would help to have one in each person’s room, just to minimize circulation of anything that they might exhale. When anyone in our family had to quarantine during the summer, they spent ALL their time in their room or outside. (With room service provided by moi.) we also worked on making outdoor spaces better for colder weather.

What do you guys think? Do the stand alone air filters make a difference?

Im also interested in how you’re preparing mentally.

I'm interested in the answers about air filters. I've been hearing about them being used in schools, etc.

I was very sick with chemical sensitivity 20 years ago and bought two very expensive ones, which may have helped with chemicals, but I also developed noise sensitivity and could not stand the fan noise :(

I found one when I was cleaning out Mom's barn and was wondering if I should hang on to it and if I can get a filter for it that would do something for the coronavirus, but can't imagine a situation where I'd actually use it - we're just spending the holidays with my mother and brother, with whom we've been maskless around this whole time (and we are not out in the world much at all.)
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    'Rona messes with your head even when you're not thinking about it. It's running in the background. My priorities have changed. The small things don't matter and don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep. We've got more important things to do than worry our heads over things that will not matter two weeks from now.

QFT.
    "Running in the background" is so true.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,045 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    For those who will have family/college kids staying with you over the holidays, how are preparing your homes?

We bought this last year for one daughter’s bedroom because she complained of allergies. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VGIGVY
    DH thinks it’s all placebo and actually does nothing. It purports to have UV radiation in addition to hepa filter. My dentist put them in all his exam rooms after reopening. I’m wondering if it would help to have one in each person’s room, just to minimize circulation of anything that they might exhale. When anyone in our family had to quarantine during the summer, they spent ALL their time in their room or outside. (With room service provided by moi.) we also worked on making outdoor spaces better for colder weather.

What do you guys think? Do the stand alone air filters make a difference?

Im also interested in how you’re preparing mentally.

I'm interested in the answers about air filters. I've been hearing about them being used in schools, etc.

I was very sick with chemical sensitivity 20 years ago and bought two very expensive ones, which may have helped with chemicals, but I also developed noise sensitivity and could not stand the fan noise :(

I found one when I was cleaning out Mom's barn and was wondering if I should hang on to it and if I can get a filter for it that would do something for the coronavirus, but can't imagine a situation where I'd actually use it - we're just spending the holidays with my mother and brother, with whom we've been maskless around this whole time (and we are not out in the world much at all.)

My understanding is the filter isn't effective on viral particles but the UV radiation is. I would not like the fan noise, either, but my daughters learned to prefer white noise for sleep when they lived in dorms. I hope your holidays are nice with your small crew. :flowerforyou:
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Question about COVID risk assessment...

I have an opportunity to be an Election Judge on Tuesday. Indoors all day, and I would be wearing a mask, but masks can't be mandated for voters, and there can't be health checks/temperature screenings. Social distancing would be encouraged, but I imagine if you're helping someone with a voting machine, there's only so much you can do to stay 6 feet apart.

I live in an area where mask-wearing is very common and expected everywhere, so I doubt there would be many (if any) un-masked people there to vote. I am not in a high-risk group, but I have family members (not in my household) who are. I guess I'm most worried about the length of time in an indoor space with potentially thousands of different people. Our COVID positivity rates have been spiking in the last few weeks.

It's a dilemma for me, because I want very much to do what I can to help people vote. But, I'm also very nervous about the risks.

I'll obviously have to make my own best decision on this, but just curious as to what you all would do.

This would personally be too much risk for me, but I can also see the value in helping others vote and I wouldn't think someone else was being foolhardy if their priorities led them to make a different call.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member

I have an opportunity to be an Election Judge on Tuesday. Indoors all day, and I would be wearing a mask, but masks can't be mandated for voters, and there can't be health checks/temperature screenings. Social distancing would be encouraged, but I imagine if you're helping someone with a voting machine, there's only so much you can do to stay 6 feet apart.

I live in an area where mask-wearing is very common and expected everywhere, so I doubt there would be many (if any) un-masked people there to vote. I am not in a high-risk group, but I have family members (not in my household) who are. I guess I'm most worried about the length of time in an indoor space with potentially thousands of different people. Our COVID positivity rates have been spiking in the last few weeks.

It's a dilemma for me, because I want very much to do what I can to help people vote. But, I'm also very nervous about the risks.

I'll obviously have to make my own best decision on this, but just curious as to what you all would do.

I would do it. I actually was thinking seriously about doing it, but ended up having a work conflict on Tuesday.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member

Personally, I wouldn't do it... but I'm in a high risk group medically. If I wasn't, I would probably see if I could find a mask that is N95 to wear for my protection and then put a fashionable cloth mask over it for additional good measure and appearance.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member

I normally do this every year for the past almost 20 years. This year will be a no for me. The risks outweigh the benefits for me. Not only because of covid but anything else that might pop off.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    I would not do it-- either- I am in the age risk category for CoVid and too many people ignore the risk to others-. Maybe next year but not this time-- too many hours in an enclosed building esp. if you don't know about the ventilation of the building
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,664 Member
    I would do it if I just had myself to worry about. I thought about volunteering when I heard that there were concerns about having enough election volunteers. However, with a high risk spouse, I have to be cautious.
  • domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member

Personally, I wouldn't do it... but I'm in a high risk group medically. If I wasn't, I would probably see if I could find a mask that is N95 to wear for my protection and then put a fashionable cloth mask over it for additional good measure and appearance.

That's a great idea with the masks, I usually just wear a N95 mask and my cloth mask gets neglected.
  • domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    Buy those ten packs of toilet paper!
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member

You said, "....... but masks can't be mandated for voters, and there can't be health checks/temperature screenings." Why not?? There's no public place I can enter now without a mask, and most of those places will also do temperature checks and hand sanitizer at the entrance.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,948 Member

This would personally be too much risk for me, but I can also see the value in helping others vote and I wouldn't think someone else was being foolhardy if their priorities led them to make a different call.

Ditto ^^ . I would even admire anyone who wasn't in a high-risk group or living with someone in a high-risk group for being an election judge. Well, I admire election judges even when we aren't in a pandemic. It's something I've thought doing when I'm finally retired.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,948 Member
    TonyB0588 wrote: »

You said, "....... but masks can't be mandated for voters, and there can't be health checks/temperature screenings." Why not?? There's no public place I can enter now without a mask, and most of those places will also do temperature checks and hand sanitizer at the entrance.

Different states, different laws.