November 2021 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,884 Member
    @martaindale I don't blame you for moving your run to tomorrow. I wouldn't want to run in cold rain either. Sounds like both you and your husband are doing great!

@SummerSkier I have done a lot of running on the treadmill in the past and haven't had any issues and the shoes I am wearing are fairly new and hadn't given my any problems before. I think I have just really aggravated it over several months/years and it is taking a while to get over it. I have been using the heating pad for a long time, thinking it was normal aging. Now, I don't think it is. It'll get there. I'm confident. And I'll be better for it.

@katharmonic I'm glad the sun melted the snow quickly and you didn't fall or have any big slips. I understand not wanting to run in the cold wind. Hopefully, the weather will be better for you tomorrow.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    @rheddmobile I hope you can get an appointment soon, and good news from the cardiologist.
  • quilteryoyo
    @rheddmobile That is cool that the albino raccoon has blonde cousins. I hope you get a picture to share. I also hope you can get in to see your cardiologist on Monday and get good news. Not knowing and worrying about what it might be is the worst. Hang in there.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,373 Member

@quilteryoyo I still think it's the treadmill or your shoes which are making your back hurt. I always felt like I was pounding away whenever I was on a treadmill in the past. Glad you are experimenting with it and hopefully it will get better soon.

@quilteryoyo - when I read your post about running on the treadmill and your back tightening, I thought the same thing as @summerskier. When I have had back issues in the past myy back would hurt when I ran on the treadmill but not on the street or trail. Is there anyway you could try a short run outside but close to home?

• SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,747 Member
    what drives me crazy about getting older is that my body is no longer as forgiving. Things I could do just 5 years ago - like wear a pair of shoes until they fell apart - just don't happen anymore. That's why I mentioned the treadmill or shoes. But @quilteryoyo it sounds like you have done that experiment already ... I do know backs take forever to get better. I compressed a vert and broke my butt one year falling off my horse. The butt healed in a few weeks but the compressed vert took almost a year before I could wake up and feel normal when I sat up.

I ran in my "rain" shoes yesterday. It's crazy to me how AWFUL they felt after using my normal shoes for weeks and weeks. It was like there was no bounce. And it's funny because I know folks who prefer that shoe for all their running. Sometimes I wonder if they tried my other shoe they would feel the difference? A few years ago I googled all the BEST women's running shoes for the year. Then I bought 5 pair (of the last year model so not really pricey). That was how I discovered Hoka. All the others were awful. Personal pref of course plays a large part. But I have never been afraid to try something different in shoes I just always end up back with Nike. (sigh). Of course I did not discover my Rocket shoe (my name for it) until my coach told me about it. Wow. Those took almost 30 to 40 sec per mile off my time (some sort of plate in them). Felt like if I raced I would be cheating. LOL.

@rheddmobile I hope you can get in to see the cardio tomorrow. Back in 2012 I think it was or 11 I was having chest pain and anxiety attacks. I did not know that's what it was. I went to the ER. Nope - no heart attack. Went to the Cardiologist. He did not find anything but I ended up getting an echo. Nothing there either. It wasn't until I did a stress echo they found a mitral valve prolapse which can cause anxiety out of nowhere. The chest pain was most likely from not eating enough or eating right. (for me that happens - remember your heart is a muscle so it needs nutrition). You sound like a pretty complex case. At least they ruled out the heart attack. ....... hugs....

Summer...
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,373 Member
    For those of you who run in the dark or with your pup in the dark, NOXGEAR is having their CyberMonday sale with everything 46% off.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,951 Member
    shanaber wrote: »
    For those of you who run in the dark or with your pup in the dark, NOXGEAR is having their CyberMonday sale with everything 46% off.

And the new Noxgear Tracer2 is even better than the original.
  • quilteryoyo
    edited November 2021
    Great running everyone.

@SummerSkier and @shanaber Thanks for your thoughts on my back. It is getting better. I did run on the road today and could feel it tightening up before a mile was up, but I kept going and it felt better. It's just a little tight tonight. Fingers crossed it is almost better.

Nice race @sweetdaisy13 ! It sounds like you did your running club proud.

I did run an easy 2.0 miles on the road today, ending at mom's for lunch. It felt pretty easy and my back is holding up pretty good. I can feel it tonight, but I think that is more from watching movies while lounging on the couch all afternoon. Not the best thing to do when your back is bothering you. I averaged 12:16 min/mile and ran the last 0.2 mile at a 10:09 min/mile pace. That felt fairly easy too, but I was on a level/downhill part of my route. Still, I was pleased with the run today.

On the way to church this morning, we saw 5 deer on a hill near my house. One of them was black. I've never seen a black one before. Poor quality pictures under the spoiler - they were fairly far away.
    bwz9dsxgjcg8.jpg
    Shows how far away they were from us.
    k7wtuawouzpg.jpg
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Great running everyone.

@SummerSkier and @shanaber Thanks for your thoughts on my back. It is getting better. I did run on the road today and could feel it tightening up before a mile was up, but I kept going and it felt better. It's just a little tight tonight. Fingers crossed it is almost better.

I did run an easy 2.0 miles on the road today, ending at mom's for lunch. It felt pretty easy and my back is holding up pretty good. I can feel it tonight, but I think that is more from watching movies while lounging on the couch all afternoon. Not the best thing to do when your back is bothering you. I averaged 12:16 min/mile and ran the last 0.2 mile at a 10:09 min/mile pace. That felt fairly easy too, but I was on a level/downhill part of my route. Still, I was pleased with the run today.

On the way to church this morning, we saw 5 deer on a hill near my house. One of them was black. I've never seen a black one before. Poor quality pictures under the spoiler - they were fairly far away.
    bwz9dsxgjcg8.jpg
    k7wtuawouzpg.jpg

I hunted deer for 50 years and, although I saw some white ones, I never saw a black one. Melanism among deer is very rare.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Tramboman wrote: »
    Great running everyone.

bwz9dsxgjcg8.jpg
    k7wtuawouzpg.jpg

I hunted deer for 50 years and, although I saw some white ones, I never saw a black one. Melanism among deer is very rare.

I looked it up and that is a very unusual deer! Not only is melanism rare in deer, in the photos I could find, none of the melanistic deer had a white throat, they were all solid black. So I was wondering if it was darker without being actually black, but all the darker colored deer I could find had lost the throat marking as well. Nifty deer @quilteryoyo !
  • quilteryoyo
    @rheddmobile I didn't even notice the white patch on the deer's neck. That would make it piebald, which is still rare, but not quite as rare. Since there was only that small area, I'm still calling it black. :wink: I hope you get to see the cardiologist soon. Glad your run was uneventful.