WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2021

Options

Replies

• OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I forget if I told you all that we are scheduled to go to Fiji next Sunday for a week--5 days in country. We are holding our breaths. We scheduled this trip before Covid, and we have had to push it three or four times. Fiji is supposed to open up December 1, but with this new variant on the rise, we shall see. They could still shut it down. I don't think the airlines will let us push it again. We really do not want a refund because we got incredible deals on the airfare. I was initially thinking I wouldn't be able to do anything, but I am beginning to feel like I may be able to do some kayaking and light hiking. No ocean swimming, of course. We need this break after the last six months that we have had, and to prepare for whatever is to come.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR

Advice about Fiji, from Australia's perspective ...

https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/destinations/pacific/fiji

Scroll through the Overview, Safety, Health, etc.

I have a work colleague from Fiji and I think the last time she went home was in December last year when things eased up a little here. But then she had 2 weeks of quarantine on the way back.

M in Oz

Got it! Covid tests ordered. Travel/health insurance purchased. Arranging approved transportation to the resort. We aren't planning to island hop. We will stay on the island we fly into. There are a couple other things my husband is trying to get arranged, just to be sure that we have everything we need. Thankfully my husband is on the ball, so we weren't expecting to just show up and fly over.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,445 Member
    Options
    Rebecca - In my first marriage, we used to be friends with a couple of which the husband looked remarkably like mine. Same mannerisms and voice too. He was a bit shorter!
    One day I was playing with my first son, who was about 6 months old, in the living room, when the baby heard the sounds of his daddy approaching the door. When the door opened, it was the friend who came in.
    I have never forgotten the look on my baby's face. Delight....Doubt.....Confusion.....Fear.....Howling terror and tears!
    <3:o<3:p

Going to start my Christmas cards today. I will enclose a slip, telling those I didn't get round to notifying, about my broadcast. It's available for 29 days afterwards! Got to type one up. I know I missed a few who would have liked to listen.
    Otherwise, Saturday is newspaper day. Supposed to be cold and very windy. I was thinking of going to the fish market, but it's on the harbour, so ........ :#

Love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Priceless story💖👍😊! Today Athena took us by the hand here and there about her house. The look of "I have power to lead adults" was so cute! She likes to hide in closets with people and say, "aaah spooky"!
    Rebecca
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,445 Member
    Options
    Home now, tomorrow laundry, balancing checkbook, opening all my pen pal letters and starting to write them back. So tired, but so grateful! Love my family! Will chat more after a good nights sleep! Have missed you ladies!
    Rebecca
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Barbie – Thanks for your kind words. Today things are going very well. We had a good day with our adult kids and our grandsons. We’re getting ready to fly back to PDX in the next few days.

Flea – I hope you have a good experience and an enjoyable trip.

Rebecca – Athena sounds like a grand little girl.

Tracey - What fun to have your daughter and granddaughter to help you decorate for Christmas. I love the photos. :star:

We went to Colonial Williamsburg today with our son, daughter-in-law and children. We had a grand day with one another. There were shops and demonstrations, plenty to look at in shops and toys for a little boy. We’ll be leaving for home in a few days.

Katla
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    Machka - Like you, I just don’t answer my phone to unfamiliar numbers.
    Have you said you thought you might have ADHD? My daughter was diagnosed this year and one of her biggest symptoms is sensory overload.

Not ADHD but possibly what used to be known as Aspergers. I think it's called high functioning autism now.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/autism-and-sensory-overload-259892

"Unlike people with typical sensory systems, people on the spectrum may not be able to ignore or selectively filter out something like sounds like car alarms or the clamor of a crowd at a sporting event.

This condition is referred to as sensory processing disorder (SPD).
    SPD can be triggered by any stimulus that interferes with the stability of the person's environment. In some cases, the person can be so hypersensitive that they react to sensations others may not even notice.

Examples include:1
    • Sounds, particularly persistent sounds such as lawnmowers, washing machines, ticking clocks, dripping water, or traffic noises
    • Sights, including fluorescent lights that flicker or curtains that flutter
    • Smells, including heavy or distinct smells such as cleaning supplies, new carpets, perfumes, and foods
    • Textures, including eating slippery foods or touching goopy gels"

Under sounds, I include barking dogs and laughter ... sounds that can drive me up the wall. Also the crowd noise when watching games on TV, like football games and hockey. I'm OK when I'm there in person but the crowd noise on TV sounds like really loud static to me which is another sound that drives me up the wall.

And that textures one ... I won't eat mushrooms or things like oysters because they are completely the wrong texture. I also hate getting stuff on my hands. Hand cream is one of the worst. I'll put it on and about 10 minutes later, I've got to wash it off. But I also hate it when there's one little bit of stickiness on my hands. With gardening, it took a while before I was willing to touch dirt but I've discovered that the texture of dirt isn't too bad and as long as I can wash my hands (usually 2 or 3 times after I come in from the garden) I'm OK.

Fortunately for my husband, I hate going into crowded, noisy places. Since his accident, he becomes completely overwhelmed in those conditions ... and quite frankly, so do I. So we avoid them.

At work, I listen to ABC Classics (classical music) because it's usually relatively calm and predictable. It can help me focus rather than being distracted by chatter and conversations around me.

Meanwhile I've just been to the optometrist and my eyes have improved. That would be why I'm having trouble seeing my screens at work which has been giving me eye strain. Hopefully my new glasses will help.

M in Oz
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,815 Member
    Options
    <3
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,483 Member
    Options
    November: leaner/stronger/kinder than October.
    Accountability:
    Chose well: BP, dogs to powerline, livestream church, draft minutes to chief
    Bonus: Freddie’s, played tug with Tumble
    Just one thing:
    29: Enjoy new music today. Play, sing, dance or listen. Listen to Sarah Gorrell’s Sussex show on BBC Radio while reconciling Part B invoices and EOBs.

Oh Julie. So sorry to hear of your lost phone, broken computer and stolen scooter. Your neighborly herbal apero and nibbles sound delightful. “Hide paper mess in way i can find it again!” This is so me! Recent worksurface archeology unearthed a birthday card intended to be mailed Nov 11. [sigh]
    Carla, sad your family will lose the house on the lake. How long had it been in your family?
    Allie what you said about precious time and little things. Amen, sister, amen!
    Lisa thanks for the Guardian article.
    Debbie your “miss my metabolism most” meme made me laugh loud enough to wake Joe. Thanks!
    Flea fingers crossed REAL TIGHT for your Fiji trip. Sounds like just the rx. Prayers continue that those tiny, vertebral spots simply disappear.
    Machka :love: your wish for the week ahead, especially “May you practice kindness because that’s the world you want to live in.” Thanking you, and meaning it ;)
    Tracey that battery theft/thank you tickets/home burglary trend is appalling! What you said about how hard such folk work for evil is what I always think when hearing about identity thieves. Why is it so hard for them to do honest work? SMH. :love: the decorations, your GD’s outfit, the lights but best of all the smiles!
    Katla hope your trip has been all you hoped and nothing that worried you. Safe travels!

Poor Joe! Totally ignored him all day (shopping, church, minutes, dogs). He must have felt really slighted when I took time away from the computer to play tug with Tumble but never stopped in to sit with him. I WILL do better tomorrow.

Lighter, lovelies!
    https://us.v-cdn.net/5021879/uploads/editor/5a/f8qt1s098sxm.gif Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK ❤️
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    I'm processing the photos from our trip to Maria Island and must show you these ones ...

0z2boi5wja9p.png
    078wctxnzd5p.png
    j86nem31j78q.png

The story is written and is just waiting for me to finish illustrating it. I'll be selecting a few photos from the massive collection I've got here:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/machka-bb/albums/72157720182692278

And I'm not finished processing photos yet ... there will be more. :)

M in Oz
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Tracey ~ Love all the photos of you, your daughter, and granddaughter! The decorations are beautiful!

Katla ~ Your trip to visit son and family sounds like it turned out to be a wonderful experience that I know you had looked forward to for such a long time.

Flea ~ So glad to hear good news from you. Enjoy your time in Fiji and stay safe.

Lisa ~ Feeling better and better is so good to hear.

Prayers and good thoughts for all who are facing difficulties of any sort!

Carol in GA
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    lol - "I miss my metabolism the most" - Yep!

"pack the right attitude" - words of wisdom

Karen in Virginia
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,528 Member
    Options
    Picks from our thanksgiving get together
    2uzikj2agpbz.jpeg
    csvyrf2jy9p0.jpeg
    ci5x1ni5xpkg.jpeg
    pmyajj7uwspt.jpeg
    5uf519bj4bwk.jpeg
  • Peach1948
    Options
    Pip ~ Looks like a great gathering of people and good food!

Carol in GA
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    Options
    Tracey- Lovely photos. <3

Katla- I'm so happy that you are happy 😊

Lisa - Hoping for a great December for you. :)

Flea - great news!!! <3

Pip - Yummo!!! :p

Love Heather UK xxxxxx
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,687 Member
    Options
    Awesome Heather we have a celebrity in our midst..
    I pulled the trigger and bought myself a apple watch on cyber Monday.. it has the bells and whistles and if it can help with my heart and all even better..
  • Peach1948
    Options
    Heather ~ Great Job!