• Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    :)
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,373 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Allie - Hope your friends will lift your mood and you have a lovely day with them.

Heather - Love the pictures of the sea's various moods. Did see the heart shape, which makes me think of my mother, and makes me smile.

KJ - Javier is so sweet... you sure get beautiful grandsons! Glad you'll be traveling to see him soon.

Katiebug - Well done on the inch of waist lost! And it is so awesome when something fits that didn't before.

Cold as ice here, got down to 18 degrees last night, and frosted every blade of grass. Blue skies and sunshine look beautiful. And cold.

Made bread, got the first rise done, and then shaped into sandwich rolls for its second rise in a warm oven. I do love baking bread, and the scent of it is just blissfully glorious. Commercial bread and buns simply disintegrate when I make Corey's lunch sandwiches with them, but homemade ones hold up fine.

That's pretty much the only ambition, except flinching when I pick up one more insanely expensive ten-day set of the steroids I'm taking. And I keep forgetting! The VA supposedly is shipping a 40-day supply sometime next week. Don't know what they'll charge me for a copay, but doubt seriously it will be more than the $1,200 the same amount would cost me at a local pharmacy. Plus one refill is posted, and the combination will get me through to seeing the gastroenterologist on Feb. 15, and will discuss with him if there are any alternatives.

Off to check on my bread,
    Later y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa in AR
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    This is Sunday Morning, December 12. Yesterday we had the lighted Christmas “ships” Parade visit our town. It was a treat that we haven’t seen since the pandemic hit the world. It was great to see a longtime event return to our part of the river. After the parade, the city provided a hot meal at the docks for those who participated in the lighted parade. I expect they will stay at the city docks until this evening and then parade up the Multnomah Channel to Portland.

Heather – I envy your proximity to your grandchildren. It is wonderful that you and Johnny are able to take care of them while mom and dad get their booster jabs.

Barbara- Our favorite cheese is Tillamook Red Cheddar Cheese. YUM! I envy your wood stove. A cast iron woodstove is the best, ever. Our previous home had a wonderful cast iron fireplace insert. This house has a natural gas fireplace. It is lovely to watch but doesn’t give the kind of heat that a wood stove provides. Re knitting - I knitted blankets for our baby grandsons and they were fun for me and cozy for our grandson in the past & his baby brother now. I am ready to jump into knitting some baby blankets that can be given to the mothers of brand-new babies. Barbie and Cheri both do this kind of giving and I am planning to get moving in that direction.

Lisa – I am so happy for you! You are healing yourself, a bit at a time. You deserve this happiness. :heart:

Allie – Happy for you and Alfie, and especially pleased for Tracy. :star:

Karen in VA – I am so sorry to hear that your brother is suffering in the hospital with a serious foot infection. I hope they’re able to vanquish the infection.

Pip- Congratulations on your run. You are an amazing athlete.

Betsy in NW WA – I’m sorry to hear that a former coworker had her house flattened by a tornado. Scary for the community and a huge loss for your friend.

Evelyn – I am delighted to hear that your recliners will be delivered soon.

Allie- Your community seems to be full of people who like to give advice or criticize. Embarrassing a pregnant mom by comparing her to Santa is about as rude as I can imagine.

Barbie – Your dog walking is wonderful for you and Sasha.

I am just finishing my first cup of coffee. It seems to be a good start for the day.

Katla in NW Oregon
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Katla ~ It looks like you have found your way back into the chat! :)
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    1517250z4gubl5w52.png
  • Katla49
    Options
    Rebecca – Portland is a place that we avoid lately. St Helens, where we live, is a delight for us. Yesterday we had the treat of the Christmas Ship’s Parade. They were lighted and paraded in front of us and down river to Columbia City. Today they are resting here, and this evening they will head upriver to Portland along the Multnomah Channel. RE: Whidbey-We travelled there and considered moving there some years ago. It is a lovely island paradise. We decided not to move there because it would have been difficult for us to see our adult kids.

Rita - You have the heart of a caring teacher. The students you work with are lucky to have you.

Barbie – I’ve had some challenges with travel and some challenges finding my way back to this group. DH & I rarely travel by air and we were a bit scattered by flying across the country to Virginia & back. I have been able to get back to the group and am very happy about it.

Lisa – Knitting vs crocheting — my mom taught me both. I find knitting easier than crocheting. Gripping the crochet hook is harder for my hands than holding onto knitting needles.

KJ – The changes on the community page knocked me for a loop. I’m happy to be back.

Allie – I am sorry to hear that you feel worn out. You’ve had a lot on your plate with health issues. I hope things are getting better for you.

Karen in VA – I hope things go well for your brother and the doctors are able to return him to good health.

Allie – I am amazed at the poor judgement of people in Walmart. Asking any woman if she was playing Santa Claus is mean spirited, in my opinion.

Karen in VA – Sending good thoughts for your brother. I hope the hospital is able to heal his foot infection.

Dr. Katie – Thanks for the moral support. I needed it. :smiley:

Barbara – I envy your dogs and I miss mine every day. We are hoping to get a new pup in the new year. Our last was born in July. I hope the next will be available sooner than that.

Peach – I am happy to be back.

Katla
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,445 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!
    Stayed up until 11 pm last night. A rare thing! Watched some old John Denver concerts, some Andy Williams Christmas specials. Just smiling and enjoying.
    Woke up at 9:30am to Lee playing "Harper Valley PTA" (really loud) country song from his room next door, LOL! He does that most weekends, wake me up with songs. Listening to the original (1968), then the Dolly Pardons version in 1969. Then Lee found one that Loretta Lynn did on some variety show. She was giggling, coming in the wrong times. She was reading from cue cards. Nowadays country stars wouldn't be caught in that embarrassing situation, they would have practiced, and taped it. Back then it was more important to be seen, to promote yourself, even your human side, where you make mistakes and can laugh about it, no big deal.
    Today was SUPPOSED to be pinto beans soup but I never took the ham hocks out so they're in the fridge for tomorrow. I will make chicken fried rice today instead. My meals these days have been quite labor intensive! On Friday it was fluffy tapioca, and yesterday was cube steak, cheesy scalloped potatoes and corn. I spoil my guys, but they always oogle and ahh over it, so that makes me happy.
    Have a nice Sun, or Monday y'all!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    WA
    idgne11ec21l.png
    Isn't this tree magnificent? I would most likely have it out all year, putting different holidays on it. It just looks so elegant.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,905 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    :) My Sunday morning walking friend is in Texas visiting with her family so I had the morning off. I used it to vacuum all the carpeted parts of the house--a job I have been putting off for much too long. Vacuuming is on the bottom of the list of things I choose to do. Jake can't do it because of the combination of his heart and breathing problems. Right now he is cleaning the kitchen in anticipation of fixing lunch for both of us.

:)Katla, How great that you got to see the lighted ships parade. Now I am nudging you to start knitting again. The blankets I knit are always the same easy pattern so I don't have to think much while I knit. I knit in colors that I like so I enjoy it more. Right now I am knitting blankets large enough for teen-agers so they take longer but they keep me warm as I knit on these cold winter days.

:)Allie, I know that you like being with your friends so the event should be fun for you. It wouldn't be fun for me because I prefer being alone and staying home.

:)Lisa, your homemade bread sounds wonderful especially because it's for your husband and his lunches.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,527 Member
    Options
    Stat for the day-

Housecleaning etc- 3hrs 7min 19sec, vacuum, dust, laundry fold and put away, wash/clean filters of vacuums= 865c
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,527 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your kind comments on our pics of yogi and our recent run. :0) your
  • Katla49
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Barbie – I plan to start knitting again as soon as I can. I need to get to a yarn store so that I can get moving in the right direction. I will likely drive to JoAnn’s in Beaverton where I found the yarn for my most recent baby blanket. I knitted the blanket and shipped it to our daughter-in-law in Virginia. Our new grandson is now snug and warm in it.

I’m curious about your new challenge, knitting blankets for teenagers. How big are the blankets likely to be? I’ve thought of lap-robes for elderly in care homes. Still thinking. Walmart here has some yarn, but not anything I want to use for a blanket. This is not a full-sized Walmart. I like your comment about choosing yarn colors that you enjoy. Color makes a huge difference for me and choosing something I like to work with is important. :star:

The Christmas Ships visited our part of the Columbia River for many years, then the pandemic came along, and everything seemed to change. We didn’t see the Christmas Ships group for a couple of years. Yesterday evening the group was here for the first time in a long while and gave us a wonderful show. Each boat is decorated with lights, and some also played music. DH & I enjoyed the parade. It was a delight. They’re resting here today and will head up the Multnomah Channel to Portland this evening.

Katla in NW OR
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    Options
    I've just found out that another one of my old lovers died this year, in April. He was a very well known scientist and a wonderful poet. I knew from a previous Internet search that he had gone into a nursing home with dementia. I had written a couple of poems about him.
    I'm not grief stricken, as it was not that kind of relationship, but it makes me think I had better hurry up getting my next book written. Life moves on so quickly.

Heather UK, feeling thoughtful. Xxxxxxxx
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,046 Member
    Options
    Recovering from clearing 20 inches of snow yesterday. At son's house the neighbors brother parked in front of my son's house and did not move it in time for the plows. He did get a ticket. He almost got towed. Still I do not have access for any parking spots in front of my home because the snow is too deep. In the past I went ahead and shovelled. This time I did ask that the brother shovel my spots. Their side is clear because the neighbor moved their cars. Fortuantely if he fails to do this we are going to have a warm up and I should be able to park again by the end of the week. I just want him to learn not to do it again. At least I asked and did not stew and refuse to clean up the mess his car left behind. In the meantime I have to park in front of other neighbors houses.

At our home a neighbor helped with their snowblower shovel out the first 10 inches. Our snow blower did not work. I keep forgetting to check it in the fall to make sure it is good to go.

I did finish up the sidewalks today and got a lovely surprise concert. Carolers came to sing to a shut in and they sang Polish Christmas carols it put me in the Christmas spirit.

I got plenty of exercise this week.

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,445 Member
    Options
    Katla, how wonderful that your ship parade started up again! I miss the coastal attitudes during the winter months. Every business is nicer, because they know your patronage is valued, and you're their bread and butter so to speak. Only the hearty folk live on the coast all year around. That made me feel kinda special.💖. Whidbey is wonderful, no doubt, and we're able to live in a big home. Having Lee attend the gym daily is good for him. Me not so much, I went for the social aspect, and since its literally empty, it is incredibly boring. I would rather just walk around the neighborhood. I like being able to use the base clinic for appointments, that's convenient. Then the commissary saves us money. So there are not so great things. Not convenient to visit middle son. Haven't made any friends here, not like I've been looking. Strangely, I love my solitude. I will probably go bonkers once eldest leaves for Guam in February. We could put all his stuff in a storage unit, and get a place on the coast of Washington. We do like not having to pay state tax. So many things to consider, we will most likely just remain here. Son has to store a vehicle here.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    WA
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,046 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Rita I have story for your students how important it is to pay attention to your enviroment and to speak up if you see something is wrong. On Wednesday this week the church I go to caught fire. It was a six year old girl coming out of the school next door who noticed flames coming from the roof. Due to her observation and her father's quick action the fire did far less damage because it was caught quickly and no one was hurt in the fire. It had started in the roof by the library. We were able to have church today because it did not get to the sanctuary. They interviewed our pastor, and he was more concerned the effect this will have on the preschool that runs out of our building. Again because it was caught so quickly the impact will be far less. Even a child can save a life.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,687 Member
    Options
    Evening ladies
    Im back home and in jammies with the firplace on the TV lol
    and crocheting...
    After me saying i didnt want to go out. We had a lovely time.. we had a private room that overlooked the vineyard.. and there was only 4 of us.. they had lovely christmas piano music on.but Heather I think you would have liked it ,wasnt loud but nice in the background.. we had a couple of appetizers and then got small meals,i just drank water they had wine.. Trudy is quite the storytellet so she was telling Myrna some of her crazy stories.had her in stitches..
    Its always great to laugh with good friends..
    So im glad i went
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,336 Member
    Options
    Did Jillian Michaels Burn Fat Boost Metabolism DVD. Work tomorrow. Bowling and at night ceramics

Barbara – I know I can get the dry ice at this one store about 10 miles away. The thing is that right after I get it, I need to ship the box of food. Maybe Tuesday.

Just tried to get a gift certificate to Ruby Tuesday for Denise and Pete. Do you know that physical cards are out of stock on the website but I know that I can get one at Publix. We need to stop there anyway after ceramics tomorrow night. I just need to be sure that it can be used at any RT, not just here in NC

Made the sausage cheese balls for this week and some chocolate chip cookies to send to Jess, for this week and also for our Christmas Eve.

Speaking of Christmas Eve, Vince texted Denise that he would think they’d come in her car since it’s OK, she doesn’t have to pay for a hotel, she doesn’t have to pay for her meals. He hasn’t heard back from her (no surprise there). I ordered a gift card for one place there and it will be mailed to me and then I’ll buy the RT gift certificate. That and the things I have that I won’t ship but will probably take up with us the next time we go should be enough. Should by some miracle she come down here, I can give them to her. Or else I'll just mail the gc's and the other things I'll take up there when we go next, hopefully in June. I'll have Amazon deliver toys to PJ and if they're late, they're late.

Allie – have a good time update; seems you did, I’m so happy for you

Went to WalMart this morning mainly because I needed gas and the gas station wasn’t open. However, they didn’t have some of the things I needed so I went to the other WalMart. But first I stopped at Big Lots, haven’t been there in a long, long time. Really, they didn’t have much at all. The got my gas and just the shrimp at walMart.

Heather – I'm sorry to hear about your ex-bf

Margaret – that’s awful about your church. It reminded me of when our church burned to the ground when I was little. I remember my mother’s funeral was held in the auditorium of the school because the fire had occurred only a few months prior. But they did rebuild exactly the way the church was before the fire.

Put the popcorn on three of the trees, Vince has garland on three others, still need to put the popcorn on the last 3. Will get to that another day.

Michele NC
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,815 Member
    Options
    :)