Anyone cutting after a bulk?

Options

Replies

• steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Several weeks of seeing weight gain has my debating going back to keto to control my cravings!

I am at 170 again which has been several years since i was previously at that weight.

It has not helped that I have dealt with a lot of work issues, long hours and travel. Damn you margaritas!!

I bet you like different now at 170 then a few years ago at 170 though!

But Same here. I decided to just maintain what I am at right now. I am not UNhappy with where I am. But I want to be. I am strong and fit and heck even took my shirt off at the gym the other day.

I was thinking about this yesterday morning; I remember before I started lifting I was in the mid-high 170s and absolutely hated how fat I perceived myself to be. I was 178.6 yesterday (before a calorific and carbtastic day celebrating my son's birthday has me back over 180 today) and though I certainly prefer to be leaner being at this weight now is certainly different than it was in 2015.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Several weeks of seeing weight gain has my debating going back to keto to control my cravings!

I am at 170 again which has been several years since i was previously at that weight.

It has not helped that I have dealt with a lot of work issues, long hours and travel. Damn you margaritas!!

I bet you like different now at 170 then a few years ago at 170 though!

But Same here. I decided to just maintain what I am at right now. I am not UNhappy with where I am. But I want to be. I am strong and fit and heck even took my shirt off at the gym the other day.

That is certainly true. While my weight gain is largely in my stomach, my chest, arms and legs are more defined.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Anyone else a huge proats lover?

arwm7u4jc3je.jpg
  • alexandramosenson
    alexandramosenson Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I am IN on proats!!! They are delicious and I eat them everyday for breakfast! For the past.....3 years?? LOL.

I finally dropped my work travel/vacation weight and am pleasantly surprised to see I can maintain on about 80-150 more calories than previously thought! However we have 3(!!!!) work dinners/parties this week so I think I'll run what my previous calories were for at least the week.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I am IN on proats!!! They are delicious and I eat them everyday for breakfast! For the past.....3 years?? LOL.

I finally dropped my work travel/vacation weight and am pleasantly surprised to see I can maintain on about 80-150 more calories than previously thought! However we have 3(!!!!) work dinners/parties this week so I think I'll run what my previous calories were for at least the week.

Good luck. You can always drop a bit of calories before those dinners or try to fast a bit on those days. That is generally what i "try".
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Anyone else a huge proats lover?

arwm7u4jc3je.jpg

As I’m uk based what exactly is proats??
  • alexandramosenson
    Options

Good luck. You can always drop a bit of calories before those dinners or try to fast a bit on those days. That is generally what i "try".

Thanks! I usually find this just backfires. I probably will fast for the first dinner since it starts earlier. The others....well....it's the holidays....
  • steveko89
    Options

Thanks! I usually find this just backfires. I probably will fast for the first dinner since it starts earlier. The others....well....it's the holidays....

Fasting never works well for me either, though I'd probably eat lighter and ensure I get some form of workout in. We always used to do a 10K benefitting our local food bank on Thanksgiving morning; made for a nice tradition and felt like I had free reign for dinner. Each of the last two years my wife and I have gotten up early to lift before our son was up for presents and breakfast but he's not sleeping nearly as late anymore so we'll see if that tradition continues.

I'm seeing some decent downward scale movement and seeing a similar elevated TDEE at the end of last year's bulk ~2800/day. Definitely still some room for improvement, too. Working on getting my sleep/training schedule locked in and migrating my food routine back down from bulk mode.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    watts6151 wrote: »

I'm in the US and have never heard that term, but, it looks like it's nothing more than oatmeal with something added for protein, thus protein+oats=proats.
  • alexandramosenson
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »

Fasting never works well for me either, though I'd probably eat lighter and ensure I get some form of workout in. We always used to do a 10K benefitting our local food bank on Thanksgiving morning; made for a nice tradition and felt like I had free reign for dinner. Each of the last two years my wife and I have gotten up early to lift before our son was up for presents and breakfast but he's not sleeping nearly as late anymore so we'll see if that tradition continues.

I'm seeing some decent downward scale movement and seeing a similar elevated TDEE at the end of last year's bulk ~2800/day. Definitely still some room for improvement, too. Working on getting my sleep/training schedule locked in and migrating my food routine back down from bulk mode.

So I ate more than intended, but I also found that I moved a little more this day and that standing for the entire event, made me quite hungry by the time I departed. We have another dinner tonight, and I probably will do something similar. Honestly, I think I had only about 2600 cals yesterday, including my single glass of red wine, which is quite on par with the higher side of a bulk. (about 2200-2300 maintenance cals). I am not mad. If I only have 2-3 more days like this during the holiday season, success. My only regret is that this type of day leaves me quite sleepless.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    GaryRuns wrote: »
    watts6151 wrote: »

I'm in the US and have never heard that term, but, it looks like it's nothing more than oatmeal with something added for protein, thus protein+oats=proats.

You are correct. It's a term that means protein oats.

So for example, that is:

60g old fashioned oats
    1 1/3 cup almond milk
    1 scoop PEScience chocolate cupcake protein
    1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
    2 tbsp sweetener
    Lily's chocolate chips
    1 Quest protein bar
    Peanut butter
  • psuLemon
    Options
    It saddens me to say, i respond very well to a keto diet. Weight is doing well, no cravings and no more stomach issues!!! Damn you! I want more carbs.

I might try to do a cyclical keto diet like UD2
  • alexandramosenson
    Options
    It saddens me to say, i respond very well to a keto diet. Weight is doing well, no cravings and no more stomach issues!!! Damn you! I want more carbs.

ahhh what stomach issues did this resolve? I am having a bad bout right now.
  • psuLemon
    Options

ahhh what stomach issues did this resolve? I am having a bad bout right now.

I was bloated and fairly nauseous. Fiber wasn't much different either.
  • alexandramosenson
    Options
    well...i just contracted a virus so i have to take some antivirals...so at least i won't be drinking this holidays season. weight is back to normal and stabalized despite 3 parties last week.
  • steveko89
    Options
    Welp, I've been under the weather with a pretty nasty sinus infection after dealing with seasonal allergy-related congestion for probably the last month (darn mold and leaf PM). My terrible sleep habits finally got the better of me and our weather has been bonkers which never helps matters. I woke up with a slight cough from drainage Thursday morning and it's only escalated from there. Was able to get prescribed some antibiotics this morning. Hoping the antibiotics work fast and I'm back to normal-ish by week's end. Turns out I'm mildly allergic to Delsym, which made things worse Saturday night. At least it's not 'rona but I missed training Thursday & Friday, cut a make-up attempt on Saturday short and had no illusions of training yesterday or today. Weight has been noisy but certainly not losing like I was intending.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Well the plan to start cutting on January 1st might be out the window if the uk decides to close the gyms again 🙄
  • psuLemon
    Options
    well...i just contracted a virus so i have to take some antivirals...so at least i won't be drinking this holidays season. weight is back to normal and stabalized despite 3 parties last week.

Sorry to hear that. Feel better
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Welp, I've been under the weather with a pretty nasty sinus infection after dealing with seasonal allergy-related congestion for probably the last month (darn mold and leaf PM). My terrible sleep habits finally got the better of me and our weather has been bonkers which never helps matters. I woke up with a slight cough from drainage Thursday morning and it's only escalated from there. Was able to get prescribed some antibiotics this morning. Hoping the antibiotics work fast and I'm back to normal-ish by week's end. Turns out I'm mildly allergic to Delsym, which made things worse Saturday night. At least it's not 'rona but I missed training Thursday & Friday, cut a make-up attempt on Saturday short and had no illusions of training yesterday or today. Weight has been noisy but certainly not losing like I was intending.

Hope you feel better too
  • alexandramosenson
    Options

I feel like I could have written this. Cheers I hope we recover soon. If it makes you feel better, when I had rona, I did not train for SIX WEEKS and I literally weighed the same and got my muscle definition back in 3 weeks.