WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2021

Replies

• sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 945 Member
    Some pictures from our trip.
    69vzbwlicmkj.jpg
    View from our bure
    d3hw1og2uoea.jpg
    Waterfall up river -- 30 minute boat ride each way, with bailing all the way!
    jejgtujqq24t.jpg
    View of the ocean from the lobby with the infinity pool in the foreground.

I’m wondering how the entry/exit process went with respect to COVID. We are considering going in February.

Tina in CA
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,331 Member
    M – love the new glasses

Called the sleep study place. Seem my MD ordered a split study which means that I’ll have to spend the night there. When Vince had his he did it at home. So I’ve sent the MD a message asking if there was a specific reason he requested a split study saying that if I have an at-home study I can get it sooner. We shall see……

Have a load of laundry in. I waited to do it today so that I could throw in my BK shirt. I have to remember to ask the other manager if I could have another one. Got home early today since there were some things I didn’t have to do, I’d done them in anticipation of the weekend. I suspect I may get home earlier tomorrow, too. If so, I’ll go to the post office.

Flea – so happy you had such a good time

Allie – I know that one of the cats wakes Vince up during the night. For some reason, she doesn’t wake me up.

Well, we just got confirmation that Denise won’t be here for christmas, even the week before or the week after. I knew it in my mind, but seeing it in black and white when she told Vince made me very sad. PJ has never been to our house, in the 13 years we’ve lived here, Pete has been here 3 times. The reason? Denise’s car needed a new battery and Pete’s car was leaking transmission fluid so they need to put down a few thousand for a new (used) vehicle for him. Vince did text her that they wouldn’t have to pay for a hotel they’d stay here. All their meals would be provided. So the only expense they’d have is gas, and that is less than $100. Even if we were to offer to pay for the gas, I know that there’d be another excuse. One time they were going to rent a car so they wouldn’t put the miles on her car! Cars need to be driven a long distance sometimes, not just stop and go around town. That’s hard on the transmission.

Vince says he knows that I’m going to be sad Christmas Eve. I just can’t help it. But I don’t want Jess to feel guilty. I know that she would be here if she could and she did tell us months ago that she couldn’t. Plus, she’s been here many times before.

On the bright side – I won’t have to do as much cooking which translates into less work for me and less money we have to spend.

I ordered a few toys for PJ (thanks KJ for the suggestion of the magnet-things). I also got him a rug you can play cars on and a set of cars/trucks that go when you pull them back. Vince texted Denise saying that we’d probably see them in the spring. One year until we can see PJ! Katla – I know that you can relate. Those of you who have your grandchildren near you and you can see them and talk to them, treasure it.

Went to ceramics tonight and picked up my anchor. Originally, this was going to be a housewarming gift for Denise and Pete. I was going to put their house numbers on it. However, the townhouse has the numbers on it so I decided to keep the anchor and put it on the pergola.

Debbie – my mouth is watering. How do you make your fudge? I can never get the consistency like you get in a store

Michele NC

sweaqq9zfecm.jpg
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,558 Member
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »

I’m wondering how the entry/exit process went with respect to COVID. We are considering going in February.

Tina in CA

Lots of paper work. We each carried a folder of all of our documents -- I think there were six different things. Timing the Covid test was the trickiest for us, and we weren't sure we had done it correctly -- 72 hours? 3 days? Because of the time our flight was leaving, getting it actually within a 72 hour window would have been nearly impossible, because they required a PCR test. I think we were technically at 75 hours, but the Fiji Airways clerk just saw 3 days, and said we were fine. You must have arranged CareFiji approved housing for at least 3 days in country and CareFiji approved transportation directly to the resort. (And have proof of such before you can board -- some people had trouble with this at LAX). Once your approved transport has taken you to the resort, we had to quarantine at the resort for three days. Which was fine with us because we really just needed rest. On the third day, we had a rapid test (a hotel room was reserved for medical testing). Once we tested negative, we were able to leave the resort. That next day we took the village/river/waterfall tour. Which was probably the riskiest thing we did, but it didn't seem that risky because everyone is fully vaccinated and tested and we wore masks in the van/bus. All foreign tourists have to go through everything we did, and every business that was following the CareFiji guidelines had a sign on their window/door that said "100% vaccinated."

Anyway, I'm getting everything out of order because there was so much stuff. We each had to download the CareFiji app on our phone and have blue tooth enabled for contract tracing, and show such to Fiji Airways before boarding. We scanned in and out of some places, although not everyone required it, apparently.

To get back into the US, we found out, literally as we were flying over, that we had to have a form completed for the US government and get a rapid test 24 hours (1 day) before boarding our flight. Again, they did that right at the hotel. The Fiji security people at the airport checked that form, kept it, and we never had to show it again. To get back into the US at LAX, all I did was show my passport and walk through. My husband, because he has global entry, didn't even have to show his passport. That didn't fill us with great confidence.

On the planes everyone is masked, but I was most uncomfortable on the domestic flights between LAX and PDX. But we really did have uneventful flights, all legs. No rude or disruptive people, and everyone wore their masks properly, which the attendants thanked all of us for. The flight home to PDX from LAX was booked solid. It was weird to be that close to so many people, knowing that not everyone had to be vaxxed.

We were one of the earliest flights from LAX (not the first, so we didn't get the marching band and dancers at the airport in Fiji), so the flight attendants all wore PPE, the whole flight. I had a little panic walking onto the plane, because I don't see people dressed like that except when I had chemo treatment, but I got over it. Apparently they must have figured out that that wasn't a good look because there was no PPE (just masks) on our flight back to the US.

Once there it was amazing, and the people were so thankful. For almost everyone we saw, it was their first week back to work in over 18 months. I can't express how grateful to see us they were. People waiting for buses or just walking down the road would wave and greet us, knowing we were tourists, well because we're white, but also because we were in a taxi or a tour van.

Lots of trouble getting the paperwork together, but well worth going.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,504 Member
    Uuuuuu
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,903 Member
    <3
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,811 Member
    <3
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,931 Member
    exermom wrote: »
    M – love the new glasses

Called the sleep study place. Seem my MD ordered a split study which means that I’ll have to spend the night there. When Vince had his he did it at home. So I’ve sent the MD a message asking if there was a specific reason he requested a split study saying that if I have an at-home study I can get it sooner. We shall see……

Have a load of laundry in. I waited to do it today so that I could throw in my BK shirt. I have to remember to ask the other manager if I could have another one. Got home early today since there were some things I didn’t have to do, I’d done them in anticipation of the weekend. I suspect I may get home earlier tomorrow, too. If so, I’ll go to the post office.

Flea – so happy you had such a good time

Allie – I know that one of the cats wakes Vince up during the night. For some reason, she doesn’t wake me up.

Well, we just got confirmation that Denise won’t be here for christmas, even the week before or the week after. I knew it in my mind, but seeing it in black and white when she told Vince made me very sad. PJ has never been to our house, in the 13 years we’ve lived here, Pete has been here 3 times. The reason? Denise’s car needed a new battery and Pete’s car was leaking transmission fluid so they need to put down a few thousand for a new (used) vehicle for him. Vince did text her that they wouldn’t have to pay for a hotel they’d stay here. All their meals would be provided. So the only expense they’d have is gas, and that is less than $100. Even if we were to offer to pay for the gas, I know that there’d be another excuse. One time they were going to rent a car so they wouldn’t put the miles on her car! Cars need to be driven a long distance sometimes, not just stop and go around town. That’s hard on the transmission.

Vince says he knows that I’m going to be sad Christmas Eve. I just can’t help it. But I don’t want Jess to feel guilty. I know that she would be here if she could and she did tell us months ago that she couldn’t. Plus, she’s been here many times before.

On the bright side – I won’t have to do as much cooking which translates into less work for me and less money we have to spend.

I ordered a few toys for PJ (thanks KJ for the suggestion of the magnet-things). I also got him a rug you can play cars on and a set of cars/trucks that go when you pull them back. Vince texted Denise saying that we’d probably see them in the spring. One year until we can see PJ! Katla – I know that you can relate. Those of you who have your grandchildren near you and you can see them and talk to them, treasure it.

Went to ceramics tonight and picked up my anchor. Originally, this was going to be a housewarming gift for Denise and Pete. I was going to put their house numbers on it. However, the townhouse has the numbers on it so I decided to keep the anchor and put it on the pergola.

Debbie – my mouth is watering. How do you make your fudge? I can never get the consistency like you get in a store

Michele NC

sweaqq9zfecm.jpg

the fudge is super simple- 1lb choc. chips(or choc wafers/melting choc), one can of sweetened condensed milk. Melt the choc, in the microwave, stir in milk then add what ever you want to it or just keep it plain.
    I made - Almond joy(almond and coconuts), Rocky Road(marshmallows and walnuts) Mocha almond (sliced almonds and instant coffee),Peanut butter, 3C's-(cashews, dried cherries and dried coconut), dried blueberries and pecans, Pina Colada( white choc., dried pineapple and dried coconut)New one this year is maple-using maple flavoring with white chocolate
    I am sure there were a few others, Very tired after this weekend plus just got home from Zumba class.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,189 Member
    Kim - I'm so glad you had a memorable time with your nephew and his girlfriend. Those moments are super precious. <3
    Love to you, especially over the Christmas season. Look after yourself.

I love the 'needy child' idea. What a great and fun thing to do! <3 I always buy a Christmas dinner with shelter and services for a homeless person. You can write an anonymous card for them. I look forward to doing it every year. :D

Love you all, Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Michele – I am home from my travels with DH. We had a great time and were able to spend time with our grandchildren. The oldest is will turn 4 right before Christmas. The youngest is a few months old. I hope you’re enjoying your trip to Kentucky.

Kim – I agree with your comment to Barbie. I also feel the support of this group and our combined strength.

Barbara –I like your ideas for training. I am planning to get a new pup in the coming year. Training will be an adventure. We took Schooner to a class with other dogs and it was very helpful. He grew up to be a very good boy and we still miss him.

Margaretturk – I hope your pup is better soon. I hope there is good progress next Friday.

Allie – I use a calendar that hangs beside my desk to keep track of appointments and such. It works well. Our power company sends the calendars to their customers and they have good photos of local places on the top page and spaces to rite below.

Michele – I am impressed that you’re putting out the Christmas decorations. I haven’t done anything yet.

Heather – We have a few neighbors with cats. They are housecats and we don’t see them outside.

Machka – Our Christmas decorations are in the garage attic. I haven’t started decorating yet.

Barbara – Our hummingbirds are Annas Hummingbirds & year around residents. We put sugar water feeders on our windows all year long. The feeders draw the birds & it is fun to watch them. If the water level in a feeder gets a bit low, they sometimes look in the windows to see if we have figured out that they’re hungry.

I have many pages to catch up on, but it is late and I’ll stoop by again tomorrow.

Katla in NW Oregon
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    I’ll stop by, and hopefully not stoop by.😳
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,286 Member
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    This year I got her grandson (my nephew Kyle) and his serious girlfriend to come to my house to help with the cookie event. It was great to spend time with them and they did help but not as much as I had hoped as it really ended up being cooking school as they really knew nothing, but I am building future help. The one thing they did do which thrilled me is put my tree in it’s stand, and fully decorated my house. I will do a few tweaks but I love that it’s done. They did it while I made dinner and did a few loads of dishes. It was perfect. Then we sat up and talked about all sorts of life issues. I only got about 4 hours in my bed last night but I was so glad to have that time.

Headed to bed early.
    Thinking of everyone.
    Smiles Kim in N. California

Any chance you can make cookies a couple of more times this year with your nephew and his girlfriend so they will know what they are doing next Christmas when you are rushed? Maybe Easter cookies and 4th of July cookies or cookies for a couple of peoples birthdays or something like that.

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,811 Member
    Today was a schmozzle! In my head, I would attend all the meetings (mostly online) and do a few things I had planned and that would be that.

Instead, I got to about half the meetings while the few things I had planned blew up in my face one by one. I spent the day trouble-shooting.

I had to lie on the sofa for a little while when I got home and I'm heading to bed now.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,811 Member
    Tomorrow (Wednesday), I have 3 meetings scheduled and 3 things to attempt to resolve.

Today was all systems going down and organisations complaining about the data we sent (one of the problems was that they sent 2 differently worded requests for the same data) and people demanding I drop everything to send them their data this minute. One of those days!

But if I'm left to focus tomorrow there's the potential I could get some stuff done.

M in Oz
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,353 Member
    Good morning, afternoon or evening, as the case may be.

Katla - thank you so much for that reminder of hummingbirds! They were my mother's favorite and will forever remind me of her.

Machka - As Robert Burns once said, "The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men gang aft agley." It sounds like that was a good description of your day. Hoping for a better tomorrow for you. Oh, and the glasses are lovely!

Kim - it sounds like you, Kyle and the GF had a wonderful evening. It fascinates me how so many members of the subsequent generations don't learn to cook. I was cooking at 5 years old--my mother kept box tops from Imperial Sugar, and redeemed them for My First Cookbook. I was so tiny at the time, I would burn my knees on the open oven door while pulling my cookie sheets out of the oven. Not sure if anyone else remembers these, but the pic is in the spoiler:
    I'm pretty sure I still have mine in my scrapbook my mother made for me, just too lazy to go look for it. :blush:fnagckyjw4ru.png

Terri - congratulations on achieving your goal!

Margaret - I hope Drew is feeling better.

Michele - I'm so sorry that you won't be able to see PJ for Christmas, nor your daughters. Lots of hugs, my dear.

Far too little sleep last night. Just aches and pains of a misspent life, I think.

Hope everyone is having a good day.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,798 Member
    Too sleepy still! Off to work!

RvRita
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,677 Member
    Morning ladies
    Well i got up ,fed the dog( he didnt eat yet) threw a load of laundry in and got dressed..got the trash together and will go get Homer out and hang with the pups for a little bit over there.. with Homer flirting with 16 we just dont know how much longer we will have him so we make the time we have count..
    Texted with my girlfriend's this morning the ones im going with Saterday to the show..bless them they all chipped in and bought my ticket which was very sweet
    I am truly blessed with some of the best friends ever..
    Will come home afterwards and do more crocheting on Tracys afghan
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    :)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,189 Member
    We got a text this morning to say that Bea and Edie have got to stay home from school because they have 'runny tummy'. :| Oh dear. We are both very disappointed. My son said it's best we stay well clear. :o

In recompense I rang my friend G for a natter. She had her eye op last week and is trying to stay away from people because she is scheduled to fly to Singapore on the 21st. Going to see her son and granddaughter etc. Lots of hoops to jump through.

I also spent yesterday evening harvesting photos of my old lover from the Internet, plus obituaries. It prompted some ideas for a poem. I think I'm a bit clearer about what I want to write for the next book.

Congratulations on maintaining your weight so well, Terri! o:)

Much love, Heather UK xxxxxxxx