WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2021

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Flea- You have a generous heart to send money to a former student in need. You are a remarkable woman. I am happy that you were able to take your family trip to Fiji. :star:

Rebecca – You have some good Christmas memories. It sounds like your step father was a good person. A hula hoop would make a spectacular wreath.

Meg - Happy day two. You have been missed and it is good to see you again.

(((Rori ))) – Grieving takes its own time and crying is sometimes the only thing to do. Stay well. :heart:

Karen – It is good to know that CBD oil has helped your Yorkies. We used it on our old dog, Schooner, when he was having pain. We both miss that dog and will be looking for another in the New Year.

We had a grinchy sad Christmas several years ago and brought a very old aluminum tree down from the garage attic that my parents bought years ago in the eaalrly1960’s. We still have it but haven’t set it up again.

This year I am planning to use our living Alberta Spruce tree. It is a comfortable size for the place I have in mind in front of the window and it survived being inside before in past years. :star:

Have a good morning, afternoon, evening, or night. :wink:

Katla in NW Oregon
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,835 Member
    Options
    My travels over the past almost 4 years ...

2g6gghnfnp00.png
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,835 Member
    Options
    Machka - As Robert Burns once said, "The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men gang aft agley." It sounds like that was a good description of your day. Hoping for a better tomorrow for you. Oh, and the glasses are lovely!

Kim - it sounds like you, Kyle and the GF had a wonderful evening. It fascinates me how so many members of the subsequent generations don't learn to cook. I was cooking at 5 years old--my mother kept box tops from Imperial Sugar, and redeemed them for My First Cookbook. I was so tiny at the time, I would burn my knees on the open oven door while pulling my cookie sheets out of the oven. Not sure if anyone else remembers these, but the pic is in the spoiler:

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

Thank you, Lisa ... and thank you all about my new glasses. I'm getting used to them because they are a different configuration from my previous ones, but one really nice feature is that I can see my computer screens!

Regarding cooking ... my grandmother loved cooking, my mother did not. So she didn't want to inflict the process of learning to cook on me.

I tend to assemble food rather than cook it and I will take the easiest possible route.
    For example, 90 second packaged rice in the microwave rather than actually cooking rice.
    And for the beekeeper group Christmas party on Sunday, we picked up cookies from the grocery store bakery. When I could pick up a dozen shortbread cookies for $3.50, I wasn't about to go through the whole process of making them!

M in Oz

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,687 Member
    Options
    Well i crocheted alot today and watched some programs i wanted to watch..
    Did the laundry
    Tomorrow i take Carmine to late opening school and will get the garbage out.
    Its unseasonably warm here in the northeast
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,905 Member
    Options
    :)Katla, The blankets I have knit recently for Project Linus measure approximately 45 inches across and 56 inches long. I got the suggested measurements from our local Project Linus website. I buy yarn online for several reasons. When I was actually going into stores (Wal Mart, JoAnn Fabrics, Michael's) I couldn't always find colors I liked or a sufficient amount even if I found a color I liked. When I stopped shopping in stores (March 2020), it became absolutely necessary for me to shop online. Now I have many choices and can buy as much as I want and I have it come to my door or my mailbox.

<3 Barbie

vqu8d79ffxzq.png

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,526 Member
    Options
    6e32qn6wey15.jpeg
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,336 Member
    Options
    Terri – you SHOULD be happy with that weight loss I’m so very happy for you.

Katla – I think you have me confused with someone else. I’m not going to Kentucky. We recently went to see Jess is Iowa. All the outside decorations are done, Vince is working on the last of the Christmas trees. He enjoys decorating. We really had to scale back this year (like we didn’t put up the arches and there are fewer ornaments on the trees) since we went to Iowa. Since Jess graduates in May, I’m thinking that we’ll be able to do more next year

Wrapped the presents we have for Denise, Pete and PJ. Just going to put them with the slide I have for him and we’ll give them to them when we go up next. Still waiting for a gift card to a restaurant near them then I’ll send them their card. Most of the restaurants by her wouldn’t mail me a gift card! One wanted to keep it at their bar and it can be used when they go there. Ah...no. There’s no way they’re going to remember that they have a gift card. Also, online Ruby Tuesday didn’t have any gift cards, but Publix here did. Go figure!

Messaged my neurologist to ask if there was a specific reason he wanted the sleep study where you are there (I forget what it’s called) and not the home study. Really, his answer didn’t answer the question. So I messaged him again saying that my husband did the home sleep study, was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea and got his CPAP a few days later. If I were to do the home study, I could get my CPAP even before the next available appointment for the sleep study you need to go there for. Actually, that isn’t the total truth. The truth is that it would be much easier for me to do it at home.

Worked then went to Dollar General. They didn’t have any holiday dishtowels (surprise, surprise) but they DID have distilled water for Vince so I got three. Then went to the post office to mail a towel to Steve and one to Ming. Then stopped on my way home at CVS and told them that I totally forgot my coupon when I bought the Regenerest yesterday. The gal said that she couldn’t just give me the $5 since it had already been purchased (huh? ok). So I asked her if I could return it and then repurchase it using my coupon. I took one off the shelf but when she scanned my receipt and the item, the register had a note that the item was not found. HUH??? She had it right in front of her. So I called CVS headquarters. Some of the questions the gal asked me were off the wall. Like she asked me for the expiration date. What does the expiration date have to do with a refund?

Allie – I was thinking of you earlier. Wasn’t there something about Homer having doggie dementia? How did that turn out? Lexi has dementia. I feel so sorry for her.

KJ – great that you got a new computer and even better that you can still use your old one. Multiple computers are a real god send

We were at ceramics tonight and the gal who runs it was saying to us that every Christmas Eve or Christmas Day they go out for Chinese food. Vince was talking about going out on Christmas Day so that’s an idea. I’m wondering if we should ask Ken and Lynette over for Christmas Eve mainly to keep my mind off the fact that Denise gave us such a poor excuse not to come down here. Have a great trip! How exciting!

Rori – we’ve been having weird weather, too. Today the high was in the 50’s. By Saturday it’s supposed to be in the 70’s. My sinuses are not liking this at all. Sounds like you are doing a lot but still (((HUGS))). I wish you could be here for Christmas Eve.

Well, the neurologist said that I could have the home sleep study but if there is sleep apnea he wants me to get a CPAP titration rather than an auto CPAP. Not sure what a CPAP titration is, tho

Michele NC
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,445 Member
    Options
    Katla, my step father literally saved my Mom and I. We were not enjoying life, that was for certain. It was interesting watching my Mom get wooed by him, he was very careful trying to do everything "right". He made my Mom laugh which was a thumbs up from me. He grew and tended bonsai trees on our deck, watching him was mesmerising. He was more like my father than my own father. It was only after I left to live on my own, that I realized that. Great memories!
    Rebecca
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Hey, Machka. I forgot to tell you that I also love your new glasses. They look amazing.

I'm sure there are other things I've forgotten.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • hotwire77
    hotwire77 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi all! New here today as doctor says I need to lose weight and reduce my glucose levels. Getting a knee replacement soon so no exercising until Spring probably. Hopefully I can made some changes using diet only.
    Kittymom
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    hotwire77 wrote: »
    Hi all! New here today as doctor says I need to lose weight and reduce my glucose levels. Getting a knee replacement soon so no exercising until Spring probably. Hopefully I can made some changes using diet only.
    Kittymom

welcome and good luck with your upcoming surgery

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,814 Member
    Options
    <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,196 Member
    Options
    Karen - Yes, it was him, because his name was in the closing credits. But we spent the whole programme debating whether it was, or not. I was 90% sure it was as he looked so much like DH. :o There are very few blood relatives on DH's side, because of the adoption and men are not the best at keeping in touch.
    I am always fascinated by family resemblances, both physical and mental. I recognised so many mannerisms!
    I would love it if DH explored his blood roots. He has very little clue who his father was, but won't do any DNA testing.

Hair trim today and girlfriends Zoom.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,483 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Accountability:
    Chose well: Monday: BP, SWSY, dogs to powerline. Tues: BP, dogs to powerline twice.
    Bonus: Monday: cooking marathon including megavegprep, spicy maple pecans and (KJ’s adult) salted caramel fudge. Tues: 40 mins vacuuming, started one load laundry, called Corner Drug and eye Dr re: Joe’s rx, Stout Mountain Railway and Chetco with T, gas.
    Just one thing:
    Do good December
    14: Share a happy memory or inspiring thought with a loved one. Rail memories and gratitude for Papa and Mama with T.
    15: Contact an older neighbor and brighten their day.

This is for Katla and Rita and everyone else who suffers from seasonal darkness, a little light to brighten your evening ;) It’s a FB watch so hope you can see it. https://fb.watch/9Tcc5_qTqs/

Macha :love: both your glasses, the bronze to blend with your hair, the teal to bring out the sparkle in your eye. Well done! Sounds like two doggoned many meetings and brush fires. The Lockdown Passport made me laugh out loud.
    Lisa sounds like your mom was both resourceful and effective.
    Flea so glad your Fiji trip was just what you needed. Bless you for using your experience and resources to help those others. Well done!
    Meg welcome back! Hate mail for posting that her spouse died of C-19? I just don’t understand that. Your story of Aurora Boreal-mus and Bella Beagle remind me of my Pyewacket and George. Pyewacket could jump onto countertops and even open cabinet doors. One time he batted out a box of brown sugar and a bag of flour, which George promptly tracked all over the floors and furniture. Partners in crime!
    Vicki so sorry for the loss of your friend. Fingers X’d the cardiac rehab brings your DH some relief. Good job signing up at the gym!
    Katla if you every want to sell that 1950’s aluminum tree, please pm me. I used to set it up even in the summer whenever I needed a spot of Christmas. Don’t know what happened to it but probably succumbed to one of Mama’s purging frenzies. Neither have I done any decorating, and so far have only made one batch of fudge and one of spicy maple pecans. Can I blame the pandemic for eroding my energy and enthusiasm?
    Pip what is that owie on Yogi’s nose?
    Allie afraid you’ll be shocked at the cost of a sheet of plywood, but it is a good idea.
    Sue agree those suffers of KJ are nutz.
    Debbie Always impressed by your treat making weekends. I couldn’t accomplish that much in a month! Sorry to hear your mum’s hurting.
    Tina gorgeous pics, especially the infinity pool to ocean.
    Michele :cry:
    Kim great to hear from you. :love: your “…building future help” approach.
    Terri Bravissima! I am so beyond happy for you.
    Margaret my friend T was telling me about a friend whose pup wasn’t doing well on the chicken and rice regime prescribed by her vet. She changed vets who told her not all dogs can tolerate chicken, so switch to pumpkin and very lean hamburger. Pup turned the corner and thrived. That was back in the day when you could change vets relatively easily. Neither of the vet clinics in our town are accepting new patients at all. :cry: Not sure there is anything you can say, but maybe take her out for a coffee or a walk and let her talk?
    Rebecca I can just hear the laughter from your wreath memories.
    KJ a month long Amtrak National Parks tour sounds wonderful!
    Rori ((hugs))
    Heather hope you avoid the runny tummies :sick: Your “due to personal reasons…” meme made me laugh out loud too! I wish I’d been able to see some family resemblances or mannerisms when I met bio mum and two half sisters, but alas, no click of recognition. Can understand Johnny. Hesitate to do the DNA thing as if my guess as to biosire is correct, he was married and had four daughters already when I was conceived. I doubt I was the only by blow and cannot imagine his surviving daughters being thrilled to meet “…yet another”. They all take after their mother, so maybe those resemblances I wanted were to him. ;}
    Karen, not a snake oil salesman at all. CBD helps some, not others. Every body’s different.
    Welcome @hotwire77 Kittymom! There are chair/upperbody exercises you can do to help your metabolism while you wait for knee surgery, but healthy eating is the first and most important piece. Good luck!

Continuing Magic Hand and Shadow is getting really good at catching the kibble as it drops, Tumble not so much. They both have started initiating play, Shadow with a tennis ball, and Tumble with a squeaky tug dolly. We are cautiously optimistic about Shadow's leg, she’s been 24 hours without the ComfyCone and so far so good.

Lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW
    giik78p2lt4m.gif
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,196 Member
    Options
    Barbara- he heard second hand gossip that his father was married with 3 children . Those children are most likely dead or very old. I expect it would be a generation down that may give a genetic clue. Might have to triangulate. I wouldn't be able to let it lie, but he is a very different person to me. >:)

Fiddling with a poem and a few paragraphs this morning.

Love Heather UK xxxxxx
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,372 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Morning, afternoon or evening, all,

My morning started at 2am, when Egg head-butted my hand to get me to pet her. It brought me just to the surface of being awake, and I gently moved my hand back under the cover.

When she realized that I wasn't going to pet her more, she stomped over to my bedside table, and within a few moments, it sounded like the apocalypse had begun--I still don't know whether Egg deliberately pushed my metal water bottle off onto the floor, or whether her tail was the culprit.

Either way, it was loud, crash, bang, boom as the metal adult sippy cup ricocheted off the side of the end table and the bedframe and, of course, rolled under the bed. (Murphy's Law). So I had to quickly go to the laundry room and grab my little pinchy reach extender and my phone (for the flashlight) and fetch the cup from under the bed.

The adrenaline wouldn't let me go back to sleep, so I wandered into the living room and got comfy in my recliner. Tried to place the phone on my end table, and it started a domino effect of about ten things that I had on the surface that apparently needed to jump off the edge. Between me and Egg, it was not my night for sleeping, apparently. So I just picked up what fell off the end table and stayed up.

So, basically, Egg-induced insomnia.

Reading about your lives, as always, and grateful for the parts y'all play in my life.

Love y'all
    Lisa
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,687 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Yes plywood is astronomical im going look for a piece that is discarded
    Michelle- Inspire i think is the auto Cpap,it is implanted under the skin.. you might have seen it on TV.. im thinking they want you to get a normal Cpap machine..I know the Phillips machine has been recalled i know that mine is a Resmed..
    Taking Carmine to school and have to get Homer outside and pick up some distilled water.
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    <3
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,822 Member
    Options
    👽🌵☃️