WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2021

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,904 Member
    :) I decided to forgo my evening walk. I have more than 10,000 steps for the day so that will suffice. We went out in the late afternoon to do some errands (post office, library, pharmacy drive-through) and the wind was so bad that we could feel it in the car.

:)Katla, the yarn I bought online is a brand and weight that I've used before. Ordering online gave me more choices of color and the assurance that I could order as much as I wanted.

:) Today the owners of our manufactured home park provided a "grab and go" holiday meal for everyone. In years past they have had sit down meals either in the clubhouse or at a restaurant. It was a good meal with meat, mashed potatoes, roasted veggies, salad, roll, and apple pie. There was enough food for each of us to have two meals and a snack. Jake gave me his roll and I gave him my apple pie.

:) I am reading Ruth Ozeki's newest book. I've read her first three and loved them. They are quite different from the usual cozy mysteries and police procedurals that I read, that I'm surprised at how much I love her books.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,331 Member
    Worked then went to one store to get dry ice to ship the pierogi to Jess.

After getting the dry ice, took the package to the UPS store then went to Aldi. Stopped at WalMart to get a few things

I was talking to this one lady at Newcomer bowling tonight and she said that she and her hubby don’t have any plans for Christmas so I’m thinking that I will ask them to come over. Now I wish I hadn’t sent so many of the pierogi to Jess. I’ll give her a call tomorrow . Hopefully they’ll come and this will help me get out of my funk about no one being here

kittymom – welcome.

Debbie – that fudge looks so good. That is, except for the nuts. It’s interesting, I love nuts, but not nuts in things.

Short today. Been busy all day.

Michele NC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    I had contact with a cousin who lives across the Columbia River from us. It was a good telephone visit and I am happy that I called her. ❤️ When the pandemic first began she advised us to get vaccinated. We did. We’re still separated by the river, and the telephone still works. I am happy I got to talk with her today. ❤️😘❤️😘
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,439 Member
    Helped my neighbor get rid of her tree that was cut down by the city. I posted a pic on FB for sale site saying free and had someone get most of it in 20 minutes. Then another guy came about an hour later. Only the big pieces left and those will be picked up tomorrow and chain sawed first to puck up.
    rbeqccpwp0ix.jpg
    ns503xa0lg3w.jpg
    Sometimes technology is really helpful!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    wA
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,932 Member
    Debbie -- your treats look beautiful and delicious. I am impressed you can get so much done in such a short amount of time.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR

Thank you- with the fudge. I use the very basic recipe which is just a pound of chocolate and a can of sweetened condensed milk- then add what ever you want. This year I made:
    Almond Joy, Pina Colada, Mocha Almond, Mocha, Cashew/Cherry/Coconut, Rocky Road, Choc. Peanut butter and Maple

Previously I did pecan blueberry, pistachio cranberry

It is a lot of fun to come up with new combinations.

Caramel corn is simple but takes an hour to bake

Toffee bars- also very simple and quick

I took little boxes of treats to everyone at Zumba tonight- they all loved it- added a home made ornament and a bell necklace

Boxes shipping out to Indiana in the morning.

Now just need to find where I put the cards so I can send them out.

Debbie
    Napa Valley, CA
  • Katla49
    edited December 2021
    I brought our living Alberta Spruce tree into the garage to begin adjusting to the temperature changes from outside to inside.

I plan to climb up into the garage attic tomorrow to get ornaments down to decorate the tree.

Next step after that is to bring the tree into the living room and decorating the tree.

I think the tree will be okay for two weeks or so indoors if I keep the temp in the living room cool enough for the tree. I am getting excited to get the process going.

Katla
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,817 Member
    So sad in northern Tasmania. :(
    A bizare jumping castle incident resulted in 4 children losing their lives, 4 children in critical condition, and 1 in serious condition.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-12-16/jumping-castle-incident-at-tas-school-hillcrest-primary/100706108

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-12-16/jumping-castle-hillcrest-primary-school-children-die/100704754
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,482 Member
    Accountability:
    Chose well: BP
    Bonus: phone chat w/M, massage, Post Office, Freddie’s.
    Just one thing:
    Do good December
    15: Contact an older neighbor and brighten their day. Aha! Just the motivation I need to make goodies.
    16: Look for something positive to say to everyone you speak to.

Binding Tumble’s bangs up so she can see has quite improved her catch game. Both are really starting to follow the Magic Hand. Shadow excels at “Get it” and “Come back.” Wimped out on power line and dog group as it was pouring down rain, blustery and cold.

Thankful for good neighbor with chainsaw and heavy weather gear. He cleared the clump of alders that fell over onto our lane so you’d never know it happened.

Skimming as I’m sleepy, but Machka oh that is so sad. :cry:

Lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW
    pu8b6w1nm2xh.gif
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,817 Member
    On the weekend of November 19-21, we went to Maria Island, and that was lovely. I have the story written, I just need to finish illustrating it.

After that, life has been flat out.

The footpath. Organising the most popular annual cycling event we hold with the biggest turnout we've ever had to the event. A cycling organisation national committee meeting. 3 Brain Injury Association meetings. Optometrist appointment and getting new glasses. My husband's cardiology appointment. A couple Christmas events. Cycling a 50 km event. Christmas decorations. Being incredibly busy at work. And more.

I haven't had a decent night's sleep in the past 12 nights because I've had to be up early and going every day.

And tonight is the first chance I've had to unpack from our Maria Island weekend!

This weekend is a 3-day weekend and finally a chance for me to catch up on things. Maybe we'll finish the footpath! Perhaps we'll pick up some beekeeping equipment. I might even paint the top of the beehive and plant more flowers. If all goes well, there's the possibility I might finish the Christmas decorations I've started making.

And sleep.

I am tired!!

M in Oz
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    :)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,904 Member
    :)Terri, Your lights are wonderful. How great that they are on in the morning. There are many holiday lights on houses in my neighborhood. I walk in the early evening to see them. Only some of them are on in the morning when I walk with my friend and my dog. I am grateful to the people who have timers that put their lights on early in the morning. They make our walk more fun.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,678 Member
    Morning ladies
    Im awake and just checking in...
    Except for taking Carmine to school and hanging with Homer ,i didnt do much..
    Today is Tracys day off from work..this coming Tuesday will be 37 weeks 2 weeks and then here comes the little guy.. she is getting a fetal stress test today.. I remember having one a long time ago but for the life of me cant remember what it is.. she is also getting an ultrasound so im guessing that is to figure out the weight of the baby..
    The poor girl is so tiny and her belly is so big..
    Im going to hop in the shower and get dressed and have some toast and tea.. and finish Tracys afghan.. almost there..
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,190 Member
    edited December 2021
    Lovely lights Terri. It is pitch black in the morning here when I bring DH his cup of tea at 7 am.

Our big news is that DH's daughters' Christmas plans are all cancelled. Heard this morning that no travel to France is allowed, apart from very pressing reasons. So his daughter, his ex wife and old friend can't fly out to see his other daughter who now lives there. Flights were booked for Christmas Eve.
    DH got an email from the older daughter who is very sad. She lives alone. Haven't heard yet from the younger one, who was making the trip.
    Our only cancellation might be Christmas Eve with the kids if anyone tests positive. No idea yet if my son is still going ahead with merging 4 households on the day. They are getting their booster next Tuesday.

Otherwise, I am gathering ideas for my next book. Somebody says something on the radio, or on a podcast, and I think, "Oooohhh, that's good! Must write that down!" Thoughts accumulating all the time. I'm also reading new material for research. I heard that a woman called bell hooks died yesterday. I had never heard of her, but clearly many valued her enormously. I have downloaded a book of hers, "All About Love" to read. I am playing with an idea of knowing a behaviour is compulsive and neurotic, but it also being numinous and joyous. Dialectics.

Waitrose delivery this afternoon. DH did fresh fruit and veg shop this morning. <3
    Salmon and spinach tonight.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,803 Member
    Exhausted but only today and tomorrow to go. Rewarding but stressful 3 weeks!

RvRita
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,101 Member
    <3 Mary from Arizona/Minnesota
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,781 Member
    Machka--I read about the jumping castle incident. How sad for all those involded. I know the weather here yesterday was bizare. Tornado's and high winds and rain. It was crazy and today there is a lot of damage all over the state. We were lucky and do not have damage and things that blew away can be replaced if not found. On the way into work this morning saw a tampoline in a pine tree.

Teri--Very pretty lights. I love looking at Christmas lights.

I have an lunch today for employee who have been here 30 years or more. I had forgotten about it until this morning. My eating yesterday was out of control, so really need to think about and before I put things in my mouth.

Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE <3
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,678 Member
    Morning again ladies
    I heard from my daughter, grandson not gappy at all with the stress test,and nurse and the ultrasound not great because of that and tech didnt want to stress him out any more she is talking with dr now.. then she has to pick up Carmine for her first vaccine.. and then hopefully a little rest until Carmines guitar lesson..
    Will drop off her afghan and nursing pads i got for her off later
  • Katla49
    Heather – Congratulations on the success of your story! January is only a few weeks away. It is almost here. :star:

Barbie – I am in awe of your organizational skills. Ordering yarn online is a great idea compared to driving 60+ miles round trip to go to a yarn store. I have always liked to touch and see what I’m buying, but ordering is more practical.

Debbie – My mom used to make fudge using a can of sweetened condensed milk and Hershey’s cocoa powder. It had a lovely flavor and texture.

Machka - I am so sorry that 4 children in Tasmania have lost their lives in a jumping castle, and 4 additional children are in critical condition, and 1 in serious condition. My heart breaks for the families who have lost their children, and for the children who have been injured.

Barbie – In past years we put many outdoor lights on for the Christmas season. This year we are doing far less outdoor decorating than we did last year. Our neighbors seem to be doing less with outdoor lights as well.

Rita – I hope you will get needed rest over the Christmas break.

Today I plan to bring in our Christmas tree and decorate it. That will involve climbing into the garage attic to get decorations down. We have a pulley system there that will be helpful. I am hoping that DH will help.

Katla in NW Oregon
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,355 Member
    edited December 2021
    Hello, my dears,

Machka - Such a horrible accident. I cannot imagine the families' grief. :'(

Terri
    - The lights are so lovely.

My brains are all flappy; my allergies have kicked in with all the weather fronts moving through the area. My nose and eyes are itching like mad.

Blood draws this morning at 7 a.m., then stopped at the grocery store, and Walmart, because the grocery store ran out of bread flour, and then Dollar Tree. They had the Christmas stockings I wanted, ones the kids can color for themselves the night they get here, and then I can fill them the next morning.

I am now officially exhausted.

Love y'all,
    Lisa