Coronavirus prep

Replies

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,048 Member
    I was interviewing a candidate for an open position today. When I asked why she left her last job, she said it was because of the vaccine mandate. That last job was at a healthcare facility. *sigh*

Ouch. So many contradictions.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,366 Member
    33gail33 wrote: »
    Covid finally hit us, husband has it. Got our boosters on the 15th so hopefully remains mild. I am negative thus far. Daughter tested positive last night but no symptoms.

Hoping there are no ill effects for any of you!
  • lokihen
    lokihen Posts: 382 Member
    It's surging here in South Dakota. I suspect it must be Delta because deaths are high and hospitals are busy. My local hospital normally sends any severe patients to the city but have two on ventilators now; which means the city isn't taking them.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,048 Member
    sarah7591 wrote: »
    Covid finally hit us, husband has it. Got our boosters on the 15th so hopefully remains mild. I am negative thus far. Daughter tested positive last night but no symptoms.

I would say to disregard the "official" Covid numbers at this point, it's probably the tip of the iceberg. We only know they are positive because I bought some rapid tests last week (they are sold out now) and we can't get a PCR test until Jan 2 because of high demand. So our cases won't be included in the tally, and I imagine there are others in the same boat.
    This is so true. Just the tip of the iceberg. I too tested positive (and so did my youngest). I suspect others in the family had it before us but by the time we realized it they had tested negative. Thank God...I was vaccinated. I still have a slight cough but I think now it is just a cold. I did have two negative tests (one PCR). Why on earth anyone would not want to get vaccinated is just beyond me. I have an 86 year old friend who is home bound and relies on health care (state aid) to come in daily to help her. None of them are vaccinated!!

It breaks my heart that health care workers knowingly endanger vulnerable people like your 86 year old friend. Why are they even in health care professions if they disregard health science and don't care?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    I was interviewing a candidate for an open position today. When I asked why she left her last job, she said it was because of the vaccine mandate. That last job was at a healthcare facility. *sigh*

I wouldn't hire her due to her stupidly. Anyone knows there are polarizing views around the vax. She should have just said her views/values didn't align with those of the management at the other job and left it there.

I don't plan to hire her anyway, but for reasons unrelated to the vaccine. We have no vaccine requirement where I work.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,931 Member
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »

I would say to disregard the "official" Covid numbers at this point, it's probably the tip of the iceberg. We only know they are positive because I bought some rapid tests last week (they are sold out now) and we can't get a PCR test until Jan 2 because of high demand. So our cases won't be included in the tally, and I imagine there are others in the same boat.
    This is so true. Just the tip of the iceberg. I too tested positive (and so did my youngest). I suspect others in the family had it before us but by the time we realized it they had tested negative. Thank God...I was vaccinated. I still have a slight cough but I think now it is just a cold. I did have two negative tests (one PCR). Why on earth anyone would not want to get vaccinated is just beyond me. I have an 86 year old friend who is home bound and relies on health care (state aid) to come in daily to help her. None of them are vaccinated!!

It breaks my heart that health care workers knowingly endanger vulnerable people like your 86 year old friend. Why are they even in health care professions if they disregard health science and don't care?

Does the employer not have a vaccine requirement for their health employees?
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »

Does the employer not have a vaccine requirement for their health employees?

No. They can barely find any employees to work as it is. Very sad. One of my friends health care workers who is not vaccinated even lost 3 family members due to covid. I just don't get it.

I dont get it either.

Here in Aus, people working in Aged care and Health care have to be vaccinated - it isnt up to each employer it is government directive

but hard to discuss further without getting into politics.

A big part of the problem here is an overall labor shortage, especially in relatively low-paying jobs such as elderly care.

There are many reasons for the shortage, from older workers deciding to retire, to younger workers deciding to peruse higher-paying and lower-risk jobs, among other factors.

Despite federal mandates for employers to require vaccinations or regular testing, many employers are afraid to lose workers when they are already short-staffed. So, they are simply not complying with the directive or bringing court challenges to make their case.

What does the labor market look like in Australia right now? Do elderly care workers make a decent wage? Are there staffing shortages?