Coronavirus prep

Replies

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    I bought all the stuff to cook for Thanksgiving last week. They had good deals on everything. Worked out well because they phoned me last night that I'm positive for Covid and now have to isolate until the 28th. :(

I have been missing helping my sister with her dh who has Alzheimers and is confined to bed. Looks like it'll be awhile longer. :(

So sorry to hear that, Reenie! Keep us posted on how you're doing, if/when you have the energy, OK? I know I'll be thinking of you, sure others here will be, too. Sending wishes for an easy course of it, and a fast recovery!

Thank you so much <3
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    gexking wrote: »
    What are people doing to boost their immune systems?
    Here's some things listed as boosters
    1. Don't smoke
    2. Get enough sleep
    3. Eat a diet high in fruits and vegetables.
    4. Exercise regularly.
    5. Maintain a healthy weight.
    6. I also believe Wim Hof breathing can boost your immune system

Everybody can do these things to help protect themselves.

Not familiar with the Wim Hof breathing method, but in full agreement with all the others.

Sample of one. My BIL's mom is 93, super lady that has celebrated all family occasions with us for 25+ years. She worked in a shoe factory, as a relator and at age 65 started a job with the state and retired at age 90. She kept working because she loved to be around the people. She has followed items 1-5 above.

Earlier this week she had an issue with edema and went to the ER. Blood tests showed a low red blood cell count. They determined she had internal bleeding and sepsis. Took her into surgery last night and got out about 9PM. They found cancer that caused a bowel rupture and ended up removing part of her intestines to take care of the cancer.

This morning she was awake, alert and trying to talk, although she was still on a ventilator.

She's still not out of the woods, but, I fully feel she would not have survived the surgery if she had not followed items 1-5 above.

Wow, she sounds very tough and strong-willed! I wish her complete recovery so she lives to see 100+. Amazing!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Best wishes for a speedy recovery Reenie - and Reenie's DH.

Update from South Australia - very weird situation here.
    We went from almost pre Covid normal to super hard lock down - for 6 days, "circuit breaker" after a cluster of cases around cleaner in a quarantine hotel and crossover to a pizza place.
    This started midnight Wed and was due to finish midnight Tues - then hopefully back to prior level of low grade restrictions but possible extension.

Announcement yesterday - you can now excercise outside home in family groups effective immediatly and the lockdown ends early - midnight tonight (ie after3 days)

Apparently one of the cases deliberately lied to police and tracers and said their only contact was through an infected pizza delivery box - of course this spreads net wide, to all pizza recievers from that place and all their contacts.

In fact he worked at the shop as a kitchen hand for couple of shifts - so the infection was through direct personal contact, same as everyone else in the cluster.
    Contact tracing net much smaller and risk to outside people much less.

Premier said in news conference yesterday "to say I am annoyed with this person is a massive understatement" :*:o:*

Do they know why they lied? Hope he gets fined for this or jail.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,977 Member
    my guess is that he was claiming centrelink and getting paid cash under the table - but,no, they haven't said.
  • airmidthehealer
    airmidthehealer Posts: 18 Member
    I live in a county with over 27% positivity rate. Last Saturday I had lunch with my boyfriend and he thought that he had a cold. He didn't get tested for Covid until Monday and received results Thursday. He is positive and is having difficulty breathing. I called my transplant coordinator. I will be tested next Monday at one of the state test facilities. My local clinic will not test me unless I have symptoms. Have been told by a family member that they won't let me ruin their Thanksgiving and we are having people over here. Hopefully, I don't have Covid and am not just asymptomatic.

This sounds horrible. I hope you are ok.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    I live in Iowa where all the counties are over 10% positivity. We have the third highest positivity rate in the country, a republican controlled government and our "mask mandate" is essentially if you can't social distance inside for 15 minutes then you should wear a mask unless you are in church where they cannot be mandated. I am isolating as best as I can but family member that I live with is not.

I lived in Iowa my entire life until 2019 and still know a lot of people there. To say it is really bad there right now is an understatement.

However, I will point out that there is 1 county at less than 10% positivity for the most recent 7 days of data reported (Wed Jan 22 2020 - Thu Nov 19 2020). Lucas County is at 7.87% positivity for the 7 day average.