Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,085 Member
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »
    https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/579068-vaccinated-just-as-likely-to-spread-delta-variant-as-unvaccinated-study

Scientific reports like this is not helping convince those in opposition to the vaccine for one reason or another.

Our leaders have consistently messed up with their COVID messaging.

The Vaxx reduces your risk of hospitalization and death, which also frees up our ICU capacity.
    This is a powerful enough message by itself, without the prior pretending it makes you immune/bulletproof.

I think the problem that a lot of people have now is more with the vaccine passport than the vaccine itself.

Here in Ontario you can not dine indoors, watch your kid play hockey, go to a wedding, funeral or go to the gym, etc. without showing your papers. Since the vaccine is not stopping transmission (but certainly helping reduce the chance of hospitalization and death), this does not make sense to a lot of people. Even more so that people have offered to show a negative covid test to do the above - but that is not accepted - papers only.

(I'm double vaccinated by the way - but do have questions about the logic of this system).

Because the other thing the vaccine dies is greatly reduce the chance of transmission. We want this thing to end, don’t we? We need to get everyone vacc’d, and if that means heavy pressure, so be it.

I read a case of a woman who refused to get vacc’d, was loudly against it, til she got the chance to go to a Justin Bieber concert. (Vacc only) She got vacc’d

right - but if someone is willing to show a negative test that shows that they do not have covid as of that time - should that not be as good (if not better?) than someone who is vaccinated, but could be carrying the virus?

Public policy ought to have a foundation of science.

But public policy is sometimes trying to do things pure science wouldn't try to do, like influence people's behavior.

I don't like to see public servants (including politicians) misrepresent scientific facts. But I do think there are times that public policy can have aims that pure science can't really reach.

Is this one of those times? That's a good debate.

P.S. Yes, scientific findings do influence some people's behavior, of course. But that's not their purpose or central aim. Sometimes the findings are just not what anyone might prefer them to be, but they're still the facts. I'm also aware that science is carried out by humans, which means it isn't always completely pure.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I'm just talking about the real world, and in my area the vaxxed act like their are bulletproof. Only vaxxed people are allowed to go to events, bars or restaurants. Places where they are mingling unmasked..

Since unvaxxed can't even enter a bar or restaurant, they are stuck at home. They are also required to wear a mask when they go shopping, so all around they are low risk of transmission outside of their home. Protesters are rare and not normal activity.