Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    On Italian News this morning--areas with No-Vax demonstrations are seeing a spike in COVID cases and hospitalizations. A northern town, Trieste, which had weekly demonstrations (they have an important port and workers are No-Vax, but people of like persuasion travelled there from all over the country to protest) has forbidden any more protesting until Jan 1st. Their hospitals are now full.

Sorry to read after nearly 2 years Covid is still a hot problem in Italy. The article below indicates no COVID-19 end is sight in my view.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/cdc-very-high-risk-travel-destinations-november-1/index.html
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    Saliva covid testing is being trialed in school children in Hampshire and the Isle of White, England. Its happening under the control of one of the Southampton Universities and the Regional hospital. The youngsters put saliva into a sample pot and return it to school who send it on to the lab. If this proves accurate as those tests we have, I hope it could be rolled out because its far more easy to use than the present swabs, particularly in children.

I'm in California and took the saliva test. It came back inconclusive BUT I still had a foreign substance in my mouth at the time. It wasn't easy filling up the little vial, let me tell ya!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »
    I'm just talking about the real world, and in my area the vaxxed act like their are bulletproof. Only vaxxed people are allowed to go to events, bars or restaurants. Places where they are mingling unmasked..

Since unvaxxed can't even enter a bar or restaurant, they are stuck at home. They are also required to wear a mask when they go shopping, so all around they are low risk of transmission outside of their home. Protesters are rare and not normal activity.

The unvaxxed where I live also go to stores, restaurants, etc. without masks. Walmart is now just recommending unvaccinated customers wear masks. But for the brief time it was a rule, unvaxxed customers still didn't wear a mask. Then again, when Walmart required masks for everyone, people still didn't wear it and nobody enforced the policy anyway.

Where I am everyone is required to wear masks indoors (unless in a private space -- everyone in my office is vaxxed, so we don't have to). Originally it was just unvaxxed, but that was apparently unenforceable, since you didn't know who was unvaxxed, so now we all have to.

On the other hand, when seated at a table you can take your mask off at a bar or restaurant, but unvaxxed are free to go (but for a rare establishment that decides otherwise).
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    The saliva tests may not be the same test in the UK and the US. All I know is, the 13 year old had no issues with the ones they are using.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,864 Member
    Options
    Question for you all.

So now Pfizer is approved for the 5 - 11 year olds and if I heard/understood correctly, the dosage is reduced (I think a 5th). Now, thinking back to when the vaccines were first released, I swear that I remember discussions on dosage vs the physical characteristics of the recipient. Was it not stated at that time that vaccinations (or at least these vaccinations) did "not work that way" and dosage did not matter whether the individual was 100 lbs or 300 lbs. I have to assume that the current policy of customized dosage is more accurate, but does this not lead us to question if the one-size-fits-all standard for adults might not be adaquate.

What am I missing?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »
    I'm just talking about the real world, and in my area the vaxxed act like their are bulletproof. Only vaxxed people are allowed to go to events, bars or restaurants. Places where they are mingling unmasked..

Since unvaxxed can't even enter a bar or restaurant, they are stuck at home. They are also required to wear a mask when they go shopping, so all around they are low risk of transmission outside of their home. Protesters are rare and not normal activity.

The unvaxxed where I live also go to stores, restaurants, etc. without masks. Walmart is now just recommending unvaccinated customers wear masks. But for the brief time it was a rule, unvaxxed customers still didn't wear a mask. Then again, when Walmart required masks for everyone, people still didn't wear it and nobody enforced the policy anyway.

There really is a wide variety of behavior on this issue. Where I live, they just lifted the mandate to wear masks indoors in public spaces about a week ago, and everywhere I've gone during that time, everybody inside has been wearing a mask.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    SModa61 wrote: »
    Question for you all.

So now Pfizer is approved for the 5 - 11 year olds and if I heard/understood correctly, the dosage is reduced (I think a 5th). Now, thinking back to when the vaccines were first released, I swear that I remember discussions on dosage vs the physical characteristics of the recipient. Was it not stated at that time that vaccinations (or at least these vaccinations) did "not work that way" and dosage did not matter whether the individual was 100 lbs or 300 lbs. I have to assume that the current policy of customized dosage is more accurate, but does this not lead us to question if the one-size-fits-all standard for adults might not be adaquate.

What am I missing?

I can't answer specifically, but children aren't just little adults, there are other variables to be considered.

I don't remember seeing anything out there regarding dosage based on size. Considering the vaccine is just posing as a virus to teach your immune system how to fight it, and I've never heard that bigger people are more or less likely to get sick from viruses because it would take a larger amount of the virus in their system to get an immune response, it doesn't seem to me it would matter. Though of course I'm not a doctor :smile:

I know they discussed at some point on TWIV that in an effort to get the vaccines out as quickly as was safely possible, they tested to make sure the dosage was "enough" but it was possible that over time we'd find out that you could get away with less. Not sure if that's related or not.

ETA: TWIV has gotten questions asking if a child is 11, should they get the child's dose or wait for their 12th b-day to get the teen dose. They did say that's a question for your pediatrician, if the child is healthy and developing "normally" it probably is something not worth worrying about, just get whichever one is available.

Also Moderna had a much higher dose of active ingredient in their shot than Pfizer. I think the idea is to give the lowest possible dose that triggers an immune response, to minimize adverse effects maybe? Not sure why Moderna felt the need to dose so much higher than Pfizer though.

I had two Pfizer and just gonna hedge my bets and try to get Moderna for my 3rd shot (if and when that is available here.)

It does seem odd that an 11 year old would get 1/3 of the dose of a 12 year old.

(Edit: oops I quoted the wrong post here - this was supposed to be in response to SModa61)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    33gail33 wrote: »
    Question for you all.

What am I missing?

I can't answer specifically, but children aren't just little adults, there are other variables to be considered.

I don't remember seeing anything out there regarding dosage based on size. Considering the vaccine is just posing as a virus to teach your immune system how to fight it, and I've never heard that bigger people are more or less likely to get sick from viruses because it would take a larger amount of the virus in their system to get an immune response, it doesn't seem to me it would matter. Though of course I'm not a doctor :smile:

I know they discussed at some point on TWIV that in an effort to get the vaccines out as quickly as was safely possible, they tested to make sure the dosage was "enough" but it was possible that over time we'd find out that you could get away with less. Not sure if that's related or not.

ETA: TWIV has gotten questions asking if a child is 11, should they get the child's dose or wait for their 12th b-day to get the teen dose. They did say that's a question for your pediatrician, if the child is healthy and developing "normally" it probably is something not worth worrying about, just get whichever one is available.

Also Moderna had a much higher dose of active ingredient in their shot than Pfizer. I think the idea is to give the lowest possible dose that triggers an immune response, to minimize adverse effects maybe? Not sure why Moderna felt the need to dose so much higher than Pfizer though.

I had two Pfizer and just gonna hedge my bets and try to get Moderna for my 3rd shot (if and when that is available here.)

It does seem odd that an 11 year old would get 1/3 of the dose of a 12 year old.

(Edit: oops I quoted the wrong post here - this was supposed to be in response to SModa61)

The approved Moderna booster is actually a half dose. (They were just talking about this too). I think he said Pfizer is 30-30-30 and Moderna is 100-100-50. But don't quote me on those numbers...
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    33gail33 wrote: »
    Question for you all.

What am I missing?

The approved Moderna booster is actually a half dose. (They were just talking about this too). I think he said Pfizer is 30-30-30 and Moderna is 100-100-50. But don't quote me on those numbers...

Oh damn - well it is what it is I guess - anything is better than nothing. :smiley: Happy that my "kids" (adults) all got one of each anyway.

Apparently the dosing schedule makes a difference too with longer spacing actually giving a "better" immune response. My doses were 13 weeks apart so maybe I won on that front.