Coronavirus prep

1689690692694695726

Replies

  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 7,432 Member
    SModa61 wrote: »
    sarah7591 wrote: »
    SModa61 wrote: »
    Can't remember what I have share (and not) or when. Anyhow, today, the 27th is the first morning with zero sore throat since Dec 11th. Have had 3 negative COVID tests and of the 8 family members that got this cold, everyone who has tested has tested negative (4 out of 8, three of which were the sickest including me). This cold was the cold from H*ll and finished off with an ear infection (husband - eye infection, daughter - pneumonia). With that in mind, my parents almost 85 and 87 were on the fence about the family meal on xmas day. Then, my sister found out 11 year old daughter may have been exposed in school on Monday. Parents backed out. The rest of us went forward with us home testing on Xmas morning before all meeting up.

    Flash forward. My children and families were coming early to open presents in the morning. Get 9 am call. Daughter, et all, were in a 10 car crash due to freezing rain on an untreated winding steep hill. Thankfully, all the humans were fine, unlike the car that did its job by being destroyed while protecting the contents. My DH takes off in the car to help. The family was traveling in their pajamas for the fun morning with my <2 grandson and it is 30 degrees and freezing rain. Some lovely family took them in while the police dealt with the crash. They were given a warm home and hot tea. I am so thankful to this family for opening their home on xmas morning to provide aid to strangers, especially in these crazy times. With my husband's help, 3 hours later they were able to join us, 10 of us in total all tested for COVID.

    Back to the topic of COVID celebrations. Our neighbor in our townhouse cluster celebrated xmas eve, but all in the garage (remember it is +/- 30 degrees out). Nice and fiancee in California are COVID positive. Nephew in the anti-vaxer part of the family has an enlarged heart, potentially from the J&J vaccine. Hubby is trying to fly back to Florida next weekend to see his mom. I hope their is still a flight and he does not get sick....... I have lots of home test kits. I am making sure I have easy access.

    Oh, I should share that I went shopping for spare kits (had already used the kit I already had in home and was negative) during the stretch were I had zero voice from the cold from h*ll. Picture the face of the Walgreens cashier as I pointed to my throat, unable to make a sound, and held up a note to her asking for "BinaxNow COVID test kit". I was sold two kits very quickly.

    Stay healthy all. I need a better 2022. I am ready for 2021 to be over!

    I'm in Italy and also got this cold at the beginning of Dec. It lasted 2 weeks and I have never coughed so much (day and night) in my life. I was cold for several days and walked around in a blanket--when I wasn't in bed. So tired. The phelgm just kept coming and it was a pudding texture. A bad headache with my head all stuffed up. I thought it would never end. I went through a whole roll of Scottex with my runny nose. I don't wish this on anyone. My doctor kept saying "It's not COVID, just a cold". It was HELL.

    Were you tested for COVID? Unless you are tested I don't know how your dr. could say it is "just a cold."

    Did you read @SModa61's post 2 pages ago? She said everyone with this "cold" got tested many times and the COVID test was always negative. My doctor is my BIL. He's worked to exhaustion during the epidemic and diagnosed hundreds of cases of COVID. He has also had to sign numerous death certificates. I trusted him to know if I had COVID or not.

    I have another friend (no she and I have not been in proximity too each other). Same exact cold from hell. She has also taken a number of home COVID tests. All negative. To backtrack to my family's case, daughter did negative home test, negative PCR test, negative flu test, and negative strep test.

    That said, my annual physical is Jan 22. I may be asking for an antibody test cause this bug its just crazy. Voice is still slightly deficient and slight scratchiness kicks in at times on my throat (at 20 days). Daughter also is still scratchy at times and daughter is 10 days ahead of me........

    I told my BIL that I was dragging after this cold, and was afraid it'd take forever to recover (frustration with Christmas coming). He gave me diverse vitamins mixes and I started to feel better immediately. After a week I was back at the pool, and now I'm totally normal again (or as normal as I ever get).
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,070 Member
    SModa61 wrote: »
    sarah7591 wrote: »
    SModa61 wrote: »
    Can't remember what I have share (and not) or when. Anyhow, today, the 27th is the first morning with zero sore throat since Dec 11th. Have had 3 negative COVID tests and of the 8 family members that got this cold, everyone who has tested has tested negative (4 out of 8, three of which were the sickest including me). This cold was the cold from H*ll and finished off with an ear infection (husband - eye infection, daughter - pneumonia). With that in mind, my parents almost 85 and 87 were on the fence about the family meal on xmas day. Then, my sister found out 11 year old daughter may have been exposed in school on Monday. Parents backed out. The rest of us went forward with us home testing on Xmas morning before all meeting up.

    Flash forward. My children and families were coming early to open presents in the morning. Get 9 am call. Daughter, et all, were in a 10 car crash due to freezing rain on an untreated winding steep hill. Thankfully, all the humans were fine, unlike the car that did its job by being destroyed while protecting the contents. My DH takes off in the car to help. The family was traveling in their pajamas for the fun morning with my <2 grandson and it is 30 degrees and freezing rain. Some lovely family took them in while the police dealt with the crash. They were given a warm home and hot tea. I am so thankful to this family for opening their home on xmas morning to provide aid to strangers, especially in these crazy times. With my husband's help, 3 hours later they were able to join us, 10 of us in total all tested for COVID.

    Back to the topic of COVID celebrations. Our neighbor in our townhouse cluster celebrated xmas eve, but all in the garage (remember it is +/- 30 degrees out). Nice and fiancee in California are COVID positive. Nephew in the anti-vaxer part of the family has an enlarged heart, potentially from the J&J vaccine. Hubby is trying to fly back to Florida next weekend to see his mom. I hope their is still a flight and he does not get sick....... I have lots of home test kits. I am making sure I have easy access.

    Oh, I should share that I went shopping for spare kits (had already used the kit I already had in home and was negative) during the stretch were I had zero voice from the cold from h*ll. Picture the face of the Walgreens cashier as I pointed to my throat, unable to make a sound, and held up a note to her asking for "BinaxNow COVID test kit". I was sold two kits very quickly.

    Stay healthy all. I need a better 2022. I am ready for 2021 to be over!

    I'm in Italy and also got this cold at the beginning of Dec. It lasted 2 weeks and I have never coughed so much (day and night) in my life. I was cold for several days and walked around in a blanket--when I wasn't in bed. So tired. The phelgm just kept coming and it was a pudding texture. A bad headache with my head all stuffed up. I thought it would never end. I went through a whole roll of Scottex with my runny nose. I don't wish this on anyone. My doctor kept saying "It's not COVID, just a cold". It was HELL.

    Were you tested for COVID? Unless you are tested I don't know how your dr. could say it is "just a cold."

    Did you read @SModa61's post 2 pages ago? She said everyone with this "cold" got tested many times and the COVID test was always negative. My doctor is my BIL. He's worked to exhaustion during the epidemic and diagnosed hundreds of cases of COVID. He has also had to sign numerous death certificates. I trusted him to know if I had COVID or not.

    I have another friend (no she and I have not been in proximity too each other). Same exact cold from hell. She has also taken a number of home COVID tests. All negative. To backtrack to my family's case, daughter did negative home test, negative PCR test, negative flu test, and negative strep test.

    That said, my annual physical is Jan 22. I may be asking for an antibody test cause this bug its just crazy. Voice is still slightly deficient and slight scratchiness kicks in at times on my throat (at 20 days). Daughter also is still scratchy at times and daughter is 10 days ahead of me........

    I told my BIL that I was dragging after this cold, and was afraid it'd take forever to recover (frustration with Christmas coming). He gave me diverse vitamins mixes and I started to feel better immediately. After a week I was back at the pool, and now I'm totally normal again (or as normal as I ever get).

    @snowflake954 are "diverse vitamin mixes" what we would call multi-vitamins? Can you explain more on what this is? They might be helpful in many scenarios.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 7,432 Member
    SModa61 wrote: »
    SModa61 wrote: »
    sarah7591 wrote: »
    SModa61 wrote: »
    Can't remember what I have share (and not) or when. Anyhow, today, the 27th is the first morning with zero sore throat since Dec 11th. Have had 3 negative COVID tests and of the 8 family members that got this cold, everyone who has tested has tested negative (4 out of 8, three of which were the sickest including me). This cold was the cold from H*ll and finished off with an ear infection (husband - eye infection, daughter - pneumonia). With that in mind, my parents almost 85 and 87 were on the fence about the family meal on xmas day. Then, my sister found out 11 year old daughter may have been exposed in school on Monday. Parents backed out. The rest of us went forward with us home testing on Xmas morning before all meeting up.

    Flash forward. My children and families were coming early to open presents in the morning. Get 9 am call. Daughter, et all, were in a 10 car crash due to freezing rain on an untreated winding steep hill. Thankfully, all the humans were fine, unlike the car that did its job by being destroyed while protecting the contents. My DH takes off in the car to help. The family was traveling in their pajamas for the fun morning with my <2 grandson and it is 30 degrees and freezing rain. Some lovely family took them in while the police dealt with the crash. They were given a warm home and hot tea. I am so thankful to this family for opening their home on xmas morning to provide aid to strangers, especially in these crazy times. With my husband's help, 3 hours later they were able to join us, 10 of us in total all tested for COVID.

    Back to the topic of COVID celebrations. Our neighbor in our townhouse cluster celebrated xmas eve, but all in the garage (remember it is +/- 30 degrees out). Nice and fiancee in California are COVID positive. Nephew in the anti-vaxer part of the family has an enlarged heart, potentially from the J&J vaccine. Hubby is trying to fly back to Florida next weekend to see his mom. I hope their is still a flight and he does not get sick....... I have lots of home test kits. I am making sure I have easy access.

    Oh, I should share that I went shopping for spare kits (had already used the kit I already had in home and was negative) during the stretch were I had zero voice from the cold from h*ll. Picture the face of the Walgreens cashier as I pointed to my throat, unable to make a sound, and held up a note to her asking for "BinaxNow COVID test kit". I was sold two kits very quickly.

    Stay healthy all. I need a better 2022. I am ready for 2021 to be over!

    I'm in Italy and also got this cold at the beginning of Dec. It lasted 2 weeks and I have never coughed so much (day and night) in my life. I was cold for several days and walked around in a blanket--when I wasn't in bed. So tired. The phelgm just kept coming and it was a pudding texture. A bad headache with my head all stuffed up. I thought it would never end. I went through a whole roll of Scottex with my runny nose. I don't wish this on anyone. My doctor kept saying "It's not COVID, just a cold". It was HELL.

    Were you tested for COVID? Unless you are tested I don't know how your dr. could say it is "just a cold."

    Did you read @SModa61's post 2 pages ago? She said everyone with this "cold" got tested many times and the COVID test was always negative. My doctor is my BIL. He's worked to exhaustion during the epidemic and diagnosed hundreds of cases of COVID. He has also had to sign numerous death certificates. I trusted him to know if I had COVID or not.

    I have another friend (no she and I have not been in proximity too each other). Same exact cold from hell. She has also taken a number of home COVID tests. All negative. To backtrack to my family's case, daughter did negative home test, negative PCR test, negative flu test, and negative strep test.

    That said, my annual physical is Jan 22. I may be asking for an antibody test cause this bug its just crazy. Voice is still slightly deficient and slight scratchiness kicks in at times on my throat (at 20 days). Daughter also is still scratchy at times and daughter is 10 days ahead of me........

    I told my BIL that I was dragging after this cold, and was afraid it'd take forever to recover (frustration with Christmas coming). He gave me diverse vitamins mixes and I started to feel better immediately. After a week I was back at the pool, and now I'm totally normal again (or as normal as I ever get).

    @snowflake954 are "diverse vitamin mixes" what we would call multi-vitamins? Can you explain more on what this is? They might be helpful in many scenarios.

    One thing that really helped right after the worst was over was B-Total Advance B12--it's in a liquid form in little glass bottles with a plunger that you push and mixes a powder with the liquid.

    Then he gave me XSport by Pharmaguida -a mix of vitamins in liquid form for people that do active sports. There's vit C, B2, PP, B6, B12, magnesium, zinc, ciclodestrine, isomatulosio, and maltodestrine.

    Then, Nature Mix Energia by Aboca, again in liquid form for physical and mental energy. It has ginseng, red fruits, honey, concentrated blueberry, black berry, and other things too hard to translate.

    Then a multi vitamin for over 50, Supradyn by Bayer. It's a tablet that dissolves in water. It has 21 vitamins with ginseng, vit D, and minerals. I'm still taking one of these daily.

    I'm starting to hear of others with this cold. People that I haven't had contact with.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,070 Member
    SModa61 wrote: »
    SModa61 wrote: »
    sarah7591 wrote: »
    SModa61 wrote: »
    Can't remember what I have share (and not) or when. Anyhow, today, the 27th is the first morning with zero sore throat since Dec 11th. Have had 3 negative COVID tests and of the 8 family members that got this cold, everyone who has tested has tested negative (4 out of 8, three of which were the sickest including me). This cold was the cold from H*ll and finished off with an ear infection (husband - eye infection, daughter - pneumonia). With that in mind, my parents almost 85 and 87 were on the fence about the family meal on xmas day. Then, my sister found out 11 year old daughter may have been exposed in school on Monday. Parents backed out. The rest of us went forward with us home testing on Xmas morning before all meeting up.

    Flash forward. My children and families were coming early to open presents in the morning. Get 9 am call. Daughter, et all, were in a 10 car crash due to freezing rain on an untreated winding steep hill. Thankfully, all the humans were fine, unlike the car that did its job by being destroyed while protecting the contents. My DH takes off in the car to help. The family was traveling in their pajamas for the fun morning with my <2 grandson and it is 30 degrees and freezing rain. Some lovely family took them in while the police dealt with the crash. They were given a warm home and hot tea. I am so thankful to this family for opening their home on xmas morning to provide aid to strangers, especially in these crazy times. With my husband's help, 3 hours later they were able to join us, 10 of us in total all tested for COVID.

    Back to the topic of COVID celebrations. Our neighbor in our townhouse cluster celebrated xmas eve, but all in the garage (remember it is +/- 30 degrees out). Nice and fiancee in California are COVID positive. Nephew in the anti-vaxer part of the family has an enlarged heart, potentially from the J&J vaccine. Hubby is trying to fly back to Florida next weekend to see his mom. I hope their is still a flight and he does not get sick....... I have lots of home test kits. I am making sure I have easy access.

    Oh, I should share that I went shopping for spare kits (had already used the kit I already had in home and was negative) during the stretch were I had zero voice from the cold from h*ll. Picture the face of the Walgreens cashier as I pointed to my throat, unable to make a sound, and held up a note to her asking for "BinaxNow COVID test kit". I was sold two kits very quickly.

    Stay healthy all. I need a better 2022. I am ready for 2021 to be over!

    I'm in Italy and also got this cold at the beginning of Dec. It lasted 2 weeks and I have never coughed so much (day and night) in my life. I was cold for several days and walked around in a blanket--when I wasn't in bed. So tired. The phelgm just kept coming and it was a pudding texture. A bad headache with my head all stuffed up. I thought it would never end. I went through a whole roll of Scottex with my runny nose. I don't wish this on anyone. My doctor kept saying "It's not COVID, just a cold". It was HELL.

    Were you tested for COVID? Unless you are tested I don't know how your dr. could say it is "just a cold."

    Did you read @SModa61's post 2 pages ago? She said everyone with this "cold" got tested many times and the COVID test was always negative. My doctor is my BIL. He's worked to exhaustion during the epidemic and diagnosed hundreds of cases of COVID. He has also had to sign numerous death certificates. I trusted him to know if I had COVID or not.

    I have another friend (no she and I have not been in proximity too each other). Same exact cold from hell. She has also taken a number of home COVID tests. All negative. To backtrack to my family's case, daughter did negative home test, negative PCR test, negative flu test, and negative strep test.

    That said, my annual physical is Jan 22. I may be asking for an antibody test cause this bug its just crazy. Voice is still slightly deficient and slight scratchiness kicks in at times on my throat (at 20 days). Daughter also is still scratchy at times and daughter is 10 days ahead of me........

    I told my BIL that I was dragging after this cold, and was afraid it'd take forever to recover (frustration with Christmas coming). He gave me diverse vitamins mixes and I started to feel better immediately. After a week I was back at the pool, and now I'm totally normal again (or as normal as I ever get).

    @snowflake954 are "diverse vitamin mixes" what we would call multi-vitamins? Can you explain more on what this is? They might be helpful in many scenarios.

    One thing that really helped right after the worst was over was B-Total Advance B12--it's in a liquid form in little glass bottles with a plunger that you push and mixes a powder with the liquid.

    Then he gave me XSport by Pharmaguida -a mix of vitamins in liquid form for people that do active sports. There's vit C, B2, PP, B6, B12, magnesium, zinc, ciclodestrine, isomatulosio, and maltodestrine.

    Then, Nature Mix Energia by Aboca, again in liquid form for physical and mental energy. It has ginseng, red fruits, honey, concentrated blueberry, black berry, and other things too hard to translate.

    Then a multi vitamin for over 50, Supradyn by Bayer. It's a tablet that dissolves in water. It has 21 vitamins with ginseng, vit D, and minerals. I'm still taking one of these daily.

    I'm starting to hear of others with this cold. People that I haven't had contact with.

    Thank you snowflake! Never hurts to have ideas that boost recovery. Myself, I am functioning at 99+% already. I just have some lingering loss of voice and bits of scratchy throat. Not bad at all, just odd for there to be any remaining evidence of the cold.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,867 Member
    edited January 1
    ythannah wrote: »
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    I’m a healthcare worker and I am asking that everyone tell all their friends and family to stop coming to the ER for minor illnesses and for testing. Make an appointment for a test and if you can’t get one, just stay home.

    The hospitals are getting overwhelmed and the wait times are insane because of all the frivolous ER visits for tests in people with minor illness or no symptoms. Nurses and doctors are getting burnt out with the insanity of it all.

    Unless you’re very sick, stay home!!

    Luckily here testing was not the responsibility of hospitals, it was done by the public health unit. I think there was a test site on the hospital campus but separate from the main facility. Hospitals do test their own patients, but don't perform general public testing.

    Historically there has been a lot of rather frivolous use of ER services, due in part to the large number of people who have no family doc. That dropped way down during Covid. I had to go to ER twice since March 2020 and it was eerily quiet, not the same experience at all.

    I'm sorry things are so crazy for you and your colleagues. Hopefully things get better soon.

    Testing isn't the "responsibility" of the hospitals here either, it's just a place where some can get it. Anecdotally I have also heard of people with only mild suspected illness (or maybe a fever) going to the ER for a test, and I find that really odd and not considerate of those who actually need the ER.

    The issue, I suppose, is that depending on where you are in the US it can be really hard to get a test. I've found them available at pharmacies no problem so far (I've only taken one), but the various testing sites seem to have long lines. And here in Chicago a lot of people can't use the drive-through ones (which seem to have the easiest availability) bc many don't have cars, so are going to these pop-up testing sites that often seem to be a mess.

    I'm not sure why the huge rush on testing sites at the moment -- maybe people who need documentation of a positive or negative result for some reason or maybe they don't want to pay for an at-home test but really want to know if symptoms are due to covid vs a cold? I do think part of it -- as well as the rush for tests at ERs that nooshi mentions -- could be media-driven, sadly, although it also could be people unable to find or assuming they cannot find at home tests and who wanted to know it was safe interact with others during the holidays.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,972 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    ythannah wrote: »
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    I’m a healthcare worker and I am asking that everyone tell all their friends and family to stop coming to the ER for minor illnesses and for testing. Make an appointment for a test and if you can’t get one, just stay home.

    The hospitals are getting overwhelmed and the wait times are insane because of all the frivolous ER visits for tests in people with minor illness or no symptoms. Nurses and doctors are getting burnt out with the insanity of it all.

    Unless you’re very sick, stay home!!

    Luckily here testing was not the responsibility of hospitals, it was done by the public health unit. I think there was a test site on the hospital campus but separate from the main facility. Hospitals do test their own patients, but don't perform general public testing.

    Historically there has been a lot of rather frivolous use of ER services, due in part to the large number of people who have no family doc. That dropped way down during Covid. I had to go to ER twice since March 2020 and it was eerily quiet, not the same experience at all.

    I'm sorry things are so crazy for you and your colleagues. Hopefully things get better soon.

    Testing isn't the "responsibility" of the hospitals here either, it's just a place where some can get it. Anecdotally I have also heard of people with only mild suspected illness (or maybe a fever) going to the ER for a test, and I find that really odd and not considerate of those who actually need the ER.

    The issue, I suppose, is that depending on where you are in the US it can be really hard to get a test. I've found them available at pharmacies no problem so far (I've only taken one), but the various testing sites seem to have long lines. And here in Chicago a lot of people can't use the drive-through ones (which seem to have the easiest availability) bc many don't have cars, so are going to these pop-up testing sites that often seem to be a mess.

    I'm not sure why the huge rush on testing sites at the moment -- maybe people who need documentation of a positive or negative result for some reason or maybe they don't want to pay for an at-home test but really want to know if symptoms are due to covid vs a cold? I do think part of it -- as well as the rush for tests at ERs that nooshi mentions -- could be media-driven, sadly, although it also could be people unable to find or assuming they cannot find at home tests and who wanted to know it was safe interact with others during the holidays.

    He in my area (Southern CA) at home tests were all sold out. My sister was able to test her family when they had that nasty cold that many have been getting, but she has access to them from work as a nurse at a long term care facility.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,972 Member
    edited January 1
    SModa61 wrote: »
    I had a cold like that before covid also. No fever. My sinus headaches and congestion in my head was awful. I had to sleep sitting up. But I have heard that the quick tests may not be as effective in catching the O strain. More likely false negatives than the other way around.

    Our workplace is going to do onsite testing starting in January. It looks like this is to comply with the OSHA mandate for unvaccinated folks to be tested weekly. Not sure what test they are going to have or how it all plays out with HIPPA either. I was really happy to hear that most of our employees (90%) at one point are vaccinated altho I think requiring the booster is just around the corner?

    At this point if it's been over 8 months since you were vaccinated seems like you might also need to be tested weekly.

    I heard that same information on the news about the home testing with the Omicron. It does make me wonder about my "cold", but daughter did also get PCRed and was negative so maybe we are correct that this is just that cold that you don't want. I joked (yes, a big joke as I am not that stupid) that I might prefer COVID.

    Quite a few friends and family had a nasty cold that lasted the better part of a week, tested negative. Symptoms did sound worse than many of the break through cases. Also quite a few that did have their Christmas plans sidelined due to popping positive for COVID.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 25,584 Member
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    I’m a healthcare worker and I am asking that everyone tell all their friends and family to stop coming to the ER for minor illnesses and for testing. Make an appointment for a test and if you can’t get one, just stay home.

    The hospitals are getting overwhelmed and the wait times are insane because of all the frivolous ER visits for tests in people with minor illness or no symptoms. Nurses and doctors are getting burnt out with the insanity of it all.

    Unless you’re very sick, stay home!!

    Great PSA.

    Here in Massachusetts, 91% of the total population has had at least one shot and 75% are fully vaccinated, yet our little suburban hospital is overwhelmed and looking forward to help from the National Guard.

    None of us have symptoms, but wanted to know how to get tested in case we develop some. I'm with the VA, so checked for my other family members. Possibly they'd use the free test service at CVS. We can't get same day, or next day, or at the closest store, but there are appts available two days out in the next town over.

    https://www.cvs.com/minuteclinic/covid-19-testing

    I also ordered a two kit test from Amazon, which will arrive in a few weeks.

    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B09KZ6TBNY/

    And now I see I can request a free at-home kit from my state:

    https://www.ondemand.labcorp.com/ma-testing
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,315 Member
    Here in my little area of Georgia(USA)- I was able to go to an After hours or Urgent Care clinic--- I went at 8:15 in the morning and there were already 20 people ahead of me. they took my phone number (I wanted a CoVid test due to close exposure)and told me to go home -it would be about 6 hours before they could see me. They called me about 2:30 to come back to the Clinic- they did the rapid antigen test and within the hour. I had the result(Negative- Thank God) then I was home. I think it is just in different areas where folks are having a hard time getting tested. I am in a smaller city in Georgia and It went Great! Praying it works out better for others- I just think the RUSH for the Holidays is part of it also!!!!
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,116 Member
    SModa61 wrote: »
    I had a cold like that before covid also. No fever. My sinus headaches and congestion in my head was awful. I had to sleep sitting up. But I have heard that the quick tests may not be as effective in catching the O strain. More likely false negatives than the other way around.

    Our workplace is going to do onsite testing starting in January. It looks like this is to comply with the OSHA mandate for unvaccinated folks to be tested weekly. Not sure what test they are going to have or how it all plays out with HIPPA either. I was really happy to hear that most of our employees (90%) at one point are vaccinated altho I think requiring the booster is just around the corner?

    At this point if it's been over 8 months since you were vaccinated seems like you might also need to be tested weekly.

    I heard that same information on the news about the home testing with the Omicron. It does make me wonder about my "cold", but daughter did also get PCRed and was negative so maybe we are correct that this is just that cold that you don't want. I joked (yes, a big joke as I am not that stupid) that I might prefer COVID.

    We had 3 positive home test, and 1 negative - all of those results were confirmed by PCR testing. I think that if you have symptoms the rapid tests are more accurate than if you don't, all 3 that tested positive were symptomatic.
    We also had that nasty cold back in September and for us it actually was worse than COVID.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,842 Member
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    I’m a healthcare worker and I am asking that everyone tell all their friends and family to stop coming to the ER for minor illnesses and for testing. Make an appointment for a test and if you can’t get one, just stay home.

    The hospitals are getting overwhelmed and the wait times are insane because of all the frivolous ER visits for tests in people with minor illness or no symptoms. Nurses and doctors are getting burnt out with the insanity of it all.

    Unless you’re very sick, stay home!!

    Great PSA.

    Here in Massachusetts, 91% of the total population has had at least one shot and 75% are fully vaccinated, yet our little suburban hospital is overwhelmed and looking forward to help from the National Guard.

    None of us have symptoms, but wanted to know how to get tested in case we develop some. I'm with the VA, so checked for my other family members. Possibly they'd use the free test service at CVS. We can't get same day, or next day, or at the closest store, but there are appts available two days out in the next town over.

    https://www.cvs.com/minuteclinic/covid-19-testing

    I also ordered a two kit test from Amazon, which will arrive in a few weeks.

    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B09KZ6TBNY/

    And now I see I can request a free at-home kit from my state:

    https://www.ondemand.labcorp.com/ma-testing

    The thing is, many are coming in for unnecessary tests. For example, a mom with her 2 toddlers who have barely any symptoms came in yesterday. She tested positive and wanted her kids tested. They are not in school or daycare, just at home. I told her that they don’t need to be tested. If someone in the home tests positive and others have symptoms, then they have it too but knowing won’t change the treatment at all. It is still just let it run its course for the most part unless you’re sick enough to require oxygen and hospitalization.

    Also, there are a lot of false negatives going on especially if someone tests too early. There is no point coming in and clogging the ER for a test when one barely has symptoms. They should get an appointment for a test even if they have to wait a while. Waiting a few days will lead to a more accurate test result. Coming in one day one or two of symptoms and testing negative when that person had close contact in the home with someone positive……is dangerous. That person might think they don’t have to quarantine because they are negative but in reality, they are still contagious and tested too soon.

    I’m trying to educate my patients about these things.

    I will say that I have yet to have to hospitalize a single vaccinated person, even the elderly ones with multiple medical issues.

    We recently had a young (39) year old otherwise healthy married man and father pass away from Covid and he was unvaccinated. I have had to admit several very sick, young, otherwise healthy unvaccinated patients this past week. It is insane to me how some people are still not vaccinated.

    The exception to what you’re saying here is if you are in a high risk category and eligible for antibodies. They have to be provided within the first couple of days, preferably before the person is symptomatic. If you have waited until you need oxygen you are too late for them to help.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 3,312 Member
    It is starting to feel like I am in the minority for NOT having contracted Covid for the past 2 years... I wonder what the stats are going to look like for the US after this current Omicron wave goes past - even without the home test positives not being in the data most likely.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,262 Member
    It is starting to feel like I am in the minority for NOT having contracted Covid for the past 2 years... I wonder what the stats are going to look like for the US after this current Omicron wave goes past - even without the home test positives not being in the data most likely.

    My gut feel is virtually everyone that doesn't live in a bubble will get it.