Coronavirus prep

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    33gail33 wrote: »
    Covid finally hit us, husband has it. Got our boosters on the 15th so hopefully remains mild. I am negative thus far. Daughter tested positive last night but no symptoms.

I would say to disregard the "official" Covid numbers at this point, it's probably the tip of the iceberg. We only know they are positive because I bought some rapid tests last week (they are sold out now) and we can't get a PCR test until Jan 2 because of high demand. So our cases won't be included in the tally, and I imagine there are others in the same boat.

At this point I think reporting on new cases is a bit ridiculous. I would like the reporting to shift to hospitalizations and who are in those hospitals and what variant they have.

100% agree. I find the focus of the reporting to be unhelpful and not to answer the questions I actually have (and think are important).
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited December 2021
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    Nice analysis of what covid tests detect vs. when people are contagious.

tl;dr:
    How long should people who test positive isolate? 2 part answer:
    1) vaccinated people should isolate 5 days following +antigen test, take another antigen test after 5 days; if that's positive, person is contagious & should isolate another 5 days and retest; if antigen test negative, person is no longer contagious
    2) unvaccinated people should isolate (i.e. could be contagious) 10 days. If antigen test negative after 10 days, they are no longer contagious.

I saw that yesterday and agree that it was helpful.

I have no symptoms, but bc omnicron seems to be spreading like crazy everywhere, asked a friend to pick me up a couple of tests at Walgreens if there were some, so just took my first covid test. Negative. I'm going to save the other for a bit.

After posting just this morning, the CDC updated guidance today, without the vax/un-vax differentiation. Dynamic situation. Hope you were able to get tests.

Yes, apparently they were available no problem at Walgreens.

Sign over an empty box at our local Walgreens said limit of 2. Now they may have had 100 cases in the back room and just hadn't restocked.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Nice analysis of what covid tests detect vs. when people are contagious.

tl;dr:
    How long should people who test positive isolate? 2 part answer:
    1) vaccinated people should isolate 5 days following +antigen test, take another antigen test after 5 days; if that's positive, person is contagious & should isolate another 5 days and retest; if antigen test negative, person is no longer contagious
    2) unvaccinated people should isolate (i.e. could be contagious) 10 days. If antigen test negative after 10 days, they are no longer contagious.

I saw that yesterday and agree that it was helpful.

I have no symptoms, but bc omnicron seems to be spreading like crazy everywhere, asked a friend to pick me up a couple of tests at Walgreens if there were some, so just took my first covid test. Negative. I'm going to save the other for a bit.

After posting just this morning, the CDC updated guidance today, without the vax/un-vax differentiation. Dynamic situation. Hope you were able to get tests.

Yes, apparently they were available no problem at Walgreens.

Sign over an empty box at our local Walgreens said limit of 2. Now they may have had 100 cases in the back room and just hadn't restocked.

I had to refill a prescription from Walgreens this morning and the hold music played a message that said don’t even bother trying to get a test, they are out for the foreseeable future at all local stores here.
  • lemurcat2
    Apparently no sign at this one. I'm going to go back over to the same Walgreens today, so will report back. (It's one that consistently had toilet paper back when that was low, so I think it might be a location thing.)
  • lemurcat2
    edited December 2021
    Still tests at the Walgreens near my office, and still no limit posted on how many one can buy, so I picked up a few more. Preparing, I suppose.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    I was so grateful to pick up 2 tests kits yesterday at our local state police barracks. JIC cause well, ya never know if you'll need one or not. For now though, I plan on hunkering down for the duration of winter and not go to too many public places unless I have to.
    Note that the tests I picked up yesterday do have a shelf life until 4/22.
  • Theoldguy1
    We now have an obligation to wear ppf2 masks on public transportation and any other closed crowded space--movies, theaters, etc. This law went into effect overnight with no warning. There is now a big scramble for ppf2 masks. I hate this stuff.

Won't be any issues with counterfeits in that scenario, SMH. Good luck.
  • sarah7591
    sarah7591 Posts: 415 Member
    SModa61 wrote: »
    Can't remember what I have share (and not) or when. Anyhow, today, the 27th is the first morning with zero sore throat since Dec 11th. Have had 3 negative COVID tests and of the 8 family members that got this cold, everyone who has tested has tested negative (4 out of 8, three of which were the sickest including me). This cold was the cold from H*ll and finished off with an ear infection (husband - eye infection, daughter - pneumonia). With that in mind, my parents almost 85 and 87 were on the fence about the family meal on xmas day. Then, my sister found out 11 year old daughter may have been exposed in school on Monday. Parents backed out. The rest of us went forward with us home testing on Xmas morning before all meeting up.

Flash forward. My children and families were coming early to open presents in the morning. Get 9 am call. Daughter, et all, were in a 10 car crash due to freezing rain on an untreated winding steep hill. Thankfully, all the humans were fine, unlike the car that did its job by being destroyed while protecting the contents. My DH takes off in the car to help. The family was traveling in their pajamas for the fun morning with my <2 grandson and it is 30 degrees and freezing rain. Some lovely family took them in while the police dealt with the crash. They were given a warm home and hot tea. I am so thankful to this family for opening their home on xmas morning to provide aid to strangers, especially in these crazy times. With my husband's help, 3 hours later they were able to join us, 10 of us in total all tested for COVID.

Back to the topic of COVID celebrations. Our neighbor in our townhouse cluster celebrated xmas eve, but all in the garage (remember it is +/- 30 degrees out). Nice and fiancee in California are COVID positive. Nephew in the anti-vaxer part of the family has an enlarged heart, potentially from the J&J vaccine. Hubby is trying to fly back to Florida next weekend to see his mom. I hope their is still a flight and he does not get sick....... I have lots of home test kits. I am making sure I have easy access.

Oh, I should share that I went shopping for spare kits (had already used the kit I already had in home and was negative) during the stretch were I had zero voice from the cold from h*ll. Picture the face of the Walgreens cashier as I pointed to my throat, unable to make a sound, and held up a note to her asking for "BinaxNow COVID test kit". I was sold two kits very quickly.

Stay healthy all. I need a better 2022. I am ready for 2021 to be over!

I'm in Italy and also got this cold at the beginning of Dec. It lasted 2 weeks and I have never coughed so much (day and night) in my life. I was cold for several days and walked around in a blanket--when I wasn't in bed. So tired. The phelgm just kept coming and it was a pudding texture. A bad headache with my head all stuffed up. I thought it would never end. I went through a whole roll of Scottex with my runny nose. I don't wish this on anyone. My doctor kept saying "It's not COVID, just a cold". It was HELL.

Were you tested for COVID? Unless you are tested I don't know how your dr. could say it is "just a cold."
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    sarah7591 wrote: »
    SModa61 wrote: »
    Can't remember what I have share (and not) or when. Anyhow, today, the 27th is the first morning with zero sore throat since Dec 11th. Have had 3 negative COVID tests and of the 8 family members that got this cold, everyone who has tested has tested negative (4 out of 8, three of which were the sickest including me). This cold was the cold from H*ll and finished off with an ear infection (husband - eye infection, daughter - pneumonia). With that in mind, my parents almost 85 and 87 were on the fence about the family meal on xmas day. Then, my sister found out 11 year old daughter may have been exposed in school on Monday. Parents backed out. The rest of us went forward with us home testing on Xmas morning before all meeting up.

Flash forward. My children and families were coming early to open presents in the morning. Get 9 am call. Daughter, et all, were in a 10 car crash due to freezing rain on an untreated winding steep hill. Thankfully, all the humans were fine, unlike the car that did its job by being destroyed while protecting the contents. My DH takes off in the car to help. The family was traveling in their pajamas for the fun morning with my <2 grandson and it is 30 degrees and freezing rain. Some lovely family took them in while the police dealt with the crash. They were given a warm home and hot tea. I am so thankful to this family for opening their home on xmas morning to provide aid to strangers, especially in these crazy times. With my husband's help, 3 hours later they were able to join us, 10 of us in total all tested for COVID.

Back to the topic of COVID celebrations. Our neighbor in our townhouse cluster celebrated xmas eve, but all in the garage (remember it is +/- 30 degrees out). Nice and fiancee in California are COVID positive. Nephew in the anti-vaxer part of the family has an enlarged heart, potentially from the J&J vaccine. Hubby is trying to fly back to Florida next weekend to see his mom. I hope their is still a flight and he does not get sick....... I have lots of home test kits. I am making sure I have easy access.

Oh, I should share that I went shopping for spare kits (had already used the kit I already had in home and was negative) during the stretch were I had zero voice from the cold from h*ll. Picture the face of the Walgreens cashier as I pointed to my throat, unable to make a sound, and held up a note to her asking for "BinaxNow COVID test kit". I was sold two kits very quickly.

Stay healthy all. I need a better 2022. I am ready for 2021 to be over!

I'm in Italy and also got this cold at the beginning of Dec. It lasted 2 weeks and I have never coughed so much (day and night) in my life. I was cold for several days and walked around in a blanket--when I wasn't in bed. So tired. The phelgm just kept coming and it was a pudding texture. A bad headache with my head all stuffed up. I thought it would never end. I went through a whole roll of Scottex with my runny nose. I don't wish this on anyone. My doctor kept saying "It's not COVID, just a cold". It was HELL.

Were you tested for COVID? Unless you are tested I don't know how your dr. could say it is "just a cold."

Did you read @SModa61's post 2 pages ago? She said everyone with this "cold" got tested many times and the COVID test was always negative. My doctor is my BIL. He's worked to exhaustion during the epidemic and diagnosed hundreds of cases of COVID. He has also had to sign numerous death certificates. I trusted him to know if I had COVID or not.
  • Theoldguy1
    Anyone do the math on the half billion test kits the US government is going to send out "free" It's less than 2 per person.

Publicity stunt, sort of like using a piece of used bubble gun to fix a leak in the Hoover Dam IMO.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,780 Member
    I had a cold like that before covid also. No fever. My sinus headaches and congestion in my head was awful. I had to sleep sitting up. But I have heard that the quick tests may not be as effective in catching the O strain. More likely false negatives than the other way around.

Our workplace is going to do onsite testing starting in January. It looks like this is to comply with the OSHA mandate for unvaccinated folks to be tested weekly. Not sure what test they are going to have or how it all plays out with HIPPA either. I was really happy to hear that most of our employees (90%) at one point are vaccinated altho I think requiring the booster is just around the corner?

At this point if it's been over 8 months since you were vaccinated seems like you might also need to be tested weekly.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,972 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Anyone do the math on the half billion test kits the US government is going to send out "free" It's less than 2 per person.

Publicity stunt, sort of like using a piece of used bubble gun to fix a leak in the Hoover Dam IMO.

I suspect the impact is more in the promise of a massive order, as opposed to the tests distributed through that mechanism.

Reports I've heard are that the test manufacturers were hesitant to go pedal to the metal a couple of months ago, because of slack demand (pre-Omicron, mostly, I'd bet). Their fiduciary responsibility is to make profits, mostly, after all.

Now there's this massive federal order looming, plus of course individual demand now, that should have the manufacturers more willing to lay on extra shifts (if they have enough non-isolating workers). With the parallel order that health insurance companies must reimburse 150 million of us for at-home tests, that's a lot of potential demand pull to fill the pipeline.

In that sense, I'm thinking of the federal order as in effect as much as stockpile thing as any kind of practical aid to individuals. If those of us with health insurance (or discretionary income) go buy tests on the open market (potentially more convenient for us), the feds' stockpile can be more useful to those who are uninsured/poor.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,972 Member
    I had a cold like that before covid also. No fever. My sinus headaches and congestion in my head was awful. I had to sleep sitting up. But I have heard that the quick tests may not be as effective in catching the O strain. More likely false negatives than the other way around.

Our workplace is going to do onsite testing starting in January. It looks like this is to comply with the OSHA mandate for unvaccinated folks to be tested weekly. Not sure what test they are going to have or how it all plays out with HIPPA either. I was really happy to hear that most of our employees (90%) at one point are vaccinated altho I think requiring the booster is just around the corner?

At this point if it's been over 8 months since you were vaccinated seems like you might also need to be tested weekly.

Generally, employers are not HIPPA covered entities. Only HIPPA covered entities are legally required to comply with the HIPPA privacy rules. Covered entities are:

". . . (1) health plans, (2) health care clearinghouses, and (3) health care providers who electronically transmit any health information in connection with transactions for which HHS has adopted standards."

Employers don't have to follow HIPPA privacy rules, though other federal regulations may apply.

Beyond that, even for covered entities, there's a tendency in the broader population to interpret "privacy" in rather broad ways, when the regulations are more specific, just because the word "privacy" is in there.