Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    Nice analysis of what covid tests detect vs. when people are contagious.

tl;dr:
    How long should people who test positive isolate? 2 part answer:
    1) vaccinated people should isolate 5 days following +antigen test, take another antigen test after 5 days; if that's positive, person is contagious & should isolate another 5 days and retest; if antigen test negative, person is no longer contagious
    2) unvaccinated people should isolate (i.e. could be contagious) 10 days. If antigen test negative after 10 days, they are no longer contagious.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    SModa61 wrote: »
    Can't remember what I have share (and not) or when. Anyhow, today, the 27th is the first morning with zero sore throat since Dec 11th. Have had 3 negative COVID tests and of the 8 family members that got this cold, everyone who has tested has tested negative (4 out of 8, three of which were the sickest including me). This cold was the cold from H*ll and finished off with an ear infection (husband - eye infection, daughter - pneumonia). With that in mind, my parents almost 85 and 87 were on the fence about the family meal on xmas day. Then, my sister found out 11 year old daughter may have been exposed in school on Monday. Parents backed out. The rest of us went forward with us home testing on Xmas morning before all meeting up.

Flash forward. My children and families were coming early to open presents in the morning. Get 9 am call. Daughter, et all, were in a 10 car crash due to freezing rain on an untreated winding steep hill. Thankfully, all the humans were fine, unlike the car that did its job by being destroyed while protecting the contents. My DH takes off in the car to help. The family was traveling in their pajamas for the fun morning with my <2 grandson and it is 30 degrees and freezing rain. Some lovely family took them in while the police dealt with the crash. They were given a warm home and hot tea. I am so thankful to this family for opening their home on xmas morning to provide aid to strangers, especially in these crazy times. With my husband's help, 3 hours later they were able to join us, 10 of us in total all tested for COVID.

Back to the topic of COVID celebrations. Our neighbor in our townhouse cluster celebrated xmas eve, but all in the garage (remember it is +/- 30 degrees out). Nice and fiancee in California are COVID positive. Nephew in the anti-vaxer part of the family has an enlarged heart, potentially from the J&J vaccine. Hubby is trying to fly back to Florida next weekend to see his mom. I hope their is still a flight and he does not get sick....... I have lots of home test kits. I am making sure I have easy access.

Oh, I should share that I went shopping for spare kits (had already used the kit I already had in home and was negative) during the stretch were I had zero voice from the cold from h*ll. Picture the face of the Walgreens cashier as I pointed to my throat, unable to make a sound, and held up a note to her asking for "BinaxNow COVID test kit". I was sold two kits very quickly.

Stay healthy all. I need a better 2022. I am ready for 2021 to be over!

I'm in Italy and also got this cold at the beginning of Dec. It lasted 2 weeks and I have never coughed so much (day and night) in my life. I was cold for several days and walked around in a blanket--when I wasn't in bed. So tired. The phelgm just kept coming and it was a pudding texture. A bad headache with my head all stuffed up. I thought it would never end. I went through a whole roll of Scottex with my runny nose. I don't wish this on anyone. My doctor kept saying "It's not COVID, just a cold". It was HELL.

<3 glad you are better!!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    sarah7591 wrote: »
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    33gail33 wrote: »
    Covid finally hit us, husband has it. Got our boosters on the 15th so hopefully remains mild. I am negative thus far. Daughter tested positive last night but no symptoms.

I would say to disregard the "official" Covid numbers at this point, it's probably the tip of the iceberg. We only know they are positive because I bought some rapid tests last week (they are sold out now) and we can't get a PCR test until Jan 2 because of high demand. So our cases won't be included in the tally, and I imagine there are others in the same boat.
    This is so true. Just the tip of the iceberg. I too tested positive (and so did my youngest). I suspect others in the family had it before us but by the time we realized it they had tested negative. Thank God...I was vaccinated. I still have a slight cough but I think now it is just a cold. I did have two negative tests (one PCR). Why on earth anyone would not want to get vaccinated is just beyond me. I have an 86 year old friend who is home bound and relies on health care (state aid) to come in daily to help her. None of them are vaccinated!!

It breaks my heart that health care workers knowingly endanger vulnerable people like your 86 year old friend. Why are they even in health care professions if they disregard health science and don't care?

Does the employer not have a vaccine requirement for their health employees?

No. They can barely find any employees to work as it is. Very sad. One of my friends health care workers who is not vaccinated even lost 3 family members due to covid. I just don't get it.

I dont get it either.

Here in Aus, people working in Aged care and Health care have to be vaccinated - it isnt up to each employer it is government directive

but hard to discuss further without getting into politics.

A big part of the problem here is an overall labor shortage, especially in relatively low-paying jobs such as elderly care.

There are many reasons for the shortage, from older workers deciding to retire, to younger workers deciding to peruse higher-paying and lower-risk jobs, among other factors.

Despite federal mandates for employers to require vaccinations or regular testing, many employers are afraid to lose workers when they are already short-staffed. So, they are simply not complying with the directive or bringing court challenges to make their case.

What does the labor market look like in Australia right now? Do elderly care workers make a decent wage? Are there staffing shortages?

Some areas of health care and Aged care in particular are short staffed here too.

You get reasonable pay and secure employment but certainly not a high paying job.

However govt mandates about vaccination are not optional and no health care providers would not enforce it or challenge in court.

I imagine their employees and family members would be up in arms if they did - you would lose accreditation, funding etc as well as be heavily fined.

Based on what the original poster said, this employer did not have a vax mandate. The reason they have apparently chosen not to is concern about having sufficient employees if they did. It could be the federal mandates (which are being challenged) don't apply and the state also doesn't have applicable ones (the rules in the US vary by state and locality on some of this stuff).
  • lemurcat2
    Options

tl;dr:
    1) vaccinated people should isolate 5 days following +antigen test, take another antigen test after 5 days; if that's positive, person is contagious & should isolate another 5 days and retest; if antigen test negative, person is no longer contagious
    2) unvaccinated people should isolate (i.e. could be contagious) 10 days. If antigen test negative after 10 days, they are no longer contagious.

I saw that yesterday and agree that it was helpful.

I have no symptoms, but bc omnicron seems to be spreading like crazy everywhere, asked a friend to pick me up a couple of tests at Walgreens if there were some, so just took my first covid test. Negative. I'm going to save the other for a bit.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Covid finally hit us, husband has it. Got our boosters on the 15th so hopefully remains mild. I am negative thus far. Daughter tested positive last night but no symptoms.

I would say to disregard the "official" Covid numbers at this point, it's probably the tip of the iceberg. We only know they are positive because I bought some rapid tests last week (they are sold out now) and we can't get a PCR test until Jan 2 because of high demand. So our cases won't be included in the tally, and I imagine there are others in the same boat.
    This is so true. Just the tip of the iceberg. I too tested positive (and so did my youngest). I suspect others in the family had it before us but by the time we realized it they had tested negative. Thank God...I was vaccinated. I still have a slight cough but I think now it is just a cold. I did have two negative tests (one PCR). Why on earth anyone would not want to get vaccinated is just beyond me. I have an 86 year old friend who is home bound and relies on health care (state aid) to come in daily to help her. None of them are vaccinated!!

It breaks my heart that health care workers knowingly endanger vulnerable people like your 86 year old friend. Why are they even in health care professions if they disregard health science and don't care?

No. They can barely find any employees to work as it is. Very sad. One of my friends health care workers who is not vaccinated even lost 3 family members due to covid. I just don't get it.

I dont get it either.

Here in Aus, people working in Aged care and Health care have to be vaccinated - it isnt up to each employer it is government directive

A big part of the problem here is an overall labor shortage, especially in relatively low-paying jobs such as elderly care.

There are many reasons for the shortage, from older workers deciding to retire, to younger workers deciding to peruse higher-paying and lower-risk jobs, among other factors.

Despite federal mandates for employers to require vaccinations or regular testing, many employers are afraid to lose workers when they are already short-staffed. So, they are simply not complying with the directive or bringing court challenges to make their case.

What does the labor market look like in Australia right now? Do elderly care workers make a decent wage? Are there staffing shortages?

Some areas of health care and Aged care in particular are short staffed here too.

You get reasonable pay and secure employment but certainly not a high paying job.

However govt mandates about vaccination are not optional and no health care providers would not enforce it or challenge in court.

I imagine their employees and family members would be up in arms if they did - you would lose accreditation, funding etc as well as be heavily fined.

Based on what the original poster said, this employer did not have a vax mandate. The reason they have apparently chosen not to is concern about having sufficient employees if they did. It could be the federal mandates (which are being challenged) don't apply and the state also doesn't have applicable ones (the rules in the US vary by state and locality on some of this stuff).

yes I know - poster has already explained all that.

Was just answering her question re situation here in Aus

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options

tl;dr:

I have no symptoms, but bc omnicron seems to be spreading like crazy everywhere, asked a friend to pick me up a couple of tests at Walgreens if there were some, so just took my first covid test. Negative. I'm going to save the other for a bit.

After posting just this morning, the CDC updated guidance today, without the vax/un-vax differentiation. Dynamic situation. Hope you were able to get tests.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    hipari wrote: »
    Hi folks. I've been out for months, busy having a baby.

I'm glad I got double vaccinated during pregnancy, because I just got a positive at-home antigen test today but symptoms are very, very mild. By 2019 standards I would have gone to the office normally and maybe skipped the gym or switched to a lighter workout, but that's it. The local healthcare officials are currently advising to just self-quarantine without an official PCR test despite current national guidelines (Finland), because they simply don't have the capacity to test enough as omicron is blowing up. My husband and the family members I met yesterday have all tested negative at home.

I was able to secure a no-contact grocery delivery for tomorrow, and we have 6 more antigen tests at home, so we should be set to quarantine until the end of the week. Thankfully my husband is on paternity leave so there's no hassle about his work, and we agreed he'll take 100% of baby care duties (including bottle feeding) to minimize the risk of infecting our 2-month-old. My symptoms are very mild and already subsiding, so I'm hoping to be clear soon. If this is the worst of it and there are no setbacks, my biggest concerns are about how long to self-quarantine and whether we can bring our daughter to her vaccination appointment next week (regular early childhood vax and not related to covid, still very important to us). Healthcare and all advisory hotlines are slammed and I don't want to burden them with something that doesn't need immediate care, and Dr. Google isn't helping me with this one.

Here they're saying 5 days if vaxxed.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options

I'm glad I got double vaccinated during pregnancy, because I just got a positive at-home antigen test today but symptoms are very, very mild. By 2019 standards I would have gone to the office normally and maybe skipped the gym or switched to a lighter workout, but that's it. The local healthcare officials are currently advising to just self-quarantine without an official PCR test despite current national guidelines (Finland), because they simply don't have the capacity to test enough as omicron is blowing up. My husband and the family members I met yesterday have all tested negative at home.

I was able to secure a no-contact grocery delivery for tomorrow, and we have 6 more antigen tests at home, so we should be set to quarantine until the end of the week. Thankfully my husband is on paternity leave so there's no hassle about his work, and we agreed he'll take 100% of baby care duties (including bottle feeding) to minimize the risk of infecting our 2-month-old. My symptoms are very mild and already subsiding, so I'm hoping to be clear soon. If this is the worst of it and there are no setbacks, my biggest concerns are about how long to self-quarantine and whether we can bring our daughter to her vaccination appointment next week (regular early childhood vax and not related to covid, still very important to us). Healthcare and all advisory hotlines are slammed and I don't want to burden them with something that doesn't need immediate care, and Dr. Google isn't helping me with this one.

I think the 5 day recommendation is if you are asymptomatic. Even with mild symptoms, 10 days I think is still advised.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

I think the 5 day recommendation is if you are asymptomatic. Even with mild symptoms, 10 days I think is still advised.

I'm in Italy. It's 5 days if you're vaccinated.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options

Yeh, I was wondering about that. Do you have to retest after 5 days to make sure?
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »

Yeh, I was wondering about that. Do you have to retest after 5 days to make sure?

Nope. That's a big problem I have with the new CDC recommendation. No mention of getting a negative test before leaving isolation....just, if you're vaccinated and don't have symptoms, 5 days is cool, and wear a mask around others for another 5 days.

Here's their exact statement:
    https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2021/s1227-isolation-quarantine-guidance.html
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,800 Member
    Options
    I agree with @SuzySunshine99 It makes me sad because for all my life I always thought of these govt agencies as working towards our health and welfare. Now when I look at the way they are making decisions it appears very political and secretive with hidden agendas. That might just be my interpretation as the whole "mask" fiasco in 2020 left a strong nasty taste in my mouth.

And when we talk about the science of it all, sometimes I wonder if some of it is political at this point vs true data and science. Omicron is SO new, how on earth can they come to a conclusion about it already after just a few weeks. The only thing we know is that it seems a lot more contagious but maybe that is just more people self testing.
  • lemurcat2
    Options

tl;dr:

After posting just this morning, the CDC updated guidance today, without the vax/un-vax differentiation. Dynamic situation. Hope you were able to get tests.

Yes, apparently they were available no problem at Walgreens.
  • lemurcat2
    edited December 2021
    Options

I dont get it either.

yes I know - poster has already explained all that.

Was just answering her question re situation here in Aus

Okay. Your response seemed to me to suggest that you thought the employer in question was violating the law, so I was trying to clarify that the original poster had not indicated that.