What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited January 2022
    Started doing push-ups at the office every M-W-F at 9:00 and 3:00.
    The goal is to do as many as you can in 60 seconds...Then get back to work.
    It gets the blood pumping and is not very "office-disruptive"

I have done something similar for years. I work in 50 minute timed chunks -- no social media, no internet, then 10 minute breaks where I look at sites like this one or just relax.

Two days a week (and I'm starting to add back in a 3rd on Sunday), every break I'll do 16 to 20 pushups, 12 to 16 reps something for legs (like holding a 52lb KB and doing deep squats) and then something for shoulders (I have a Power Tower and lots of dummbells for pressups -- might break out the Total Gym and leave it set out in the garage for cable pulls). I only go up to 8 sets.

It's amazing how strong you can get doing this. And I only takes 3 to 4 minutes every break. It also keeps your mind strong. It adds up to quite a bit, especially as it's also my hard rowing interval day today.
  • dethstar77
    dethstar77 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Morning bootcamp. Will walk or run today evening
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Gym morning with trainer. First half focused on moving heavier weight today. KB: deads, split squats, dumbbell chest press, rows, etc. Finished with movements: Bear crawls and continued work on the Turkish Get Up. Trainer is a stickler for perfect form during these movements. I like that.

14 degrees and windy, so only a one mile walk at noon to maintain winter warrior challenge standing.
  • MikePfirrman
    edited January 2022
    Did supersets (five sets) this AM of legs, shoulders, chest. Did a 4 X 2K w/ 6 minutes rest at lunch on the rower. Felt really good about it. Averaged 2:06.5 pace for the four 2Ks. That's pretty solid for me right now. I'm around 10 seconds off my old paces.

Did an 8:15 2K on the first one and thought I might not get through the other 3. Did an 8:25, then an 8:33 and thought I'd likely not get the last one in and did a 8:29. HR hit 92% on 3rd and 93% max on last one but at no point did I feel panicked. That's progress for me.

Burned 840 calories on the hour.
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Elliptical 244 minutes for 17.15 miles. I know I'm boring but it is working for me.
  • jcraig10
    jcraig10 Posts: 477 Member
    Skater jumps 30 seconds
    10 Plank jacks
    Repeat x3

Jumping jacks 30 seconds
    10 squat jumps w/ dumbbells
    Repeat x3

Jump rope 30 seconds
    10 mountain climbers
    Repeat x3

Punches 30 seconds
    10 pike ups
    Repeat x3

Burpees 30 seconds
    Repeat x3

Took about 20 minutes
  • JDMac82
    JDMac82 Posts: 3,192 Member
    5 min walk 4 mph @ 6 incline
    30 Hanging Leg Tucks
    35 KBell Swing
    50 Skier
    35 Hand Release Push-ups
    50 Rower

12/8/4
    Deadlift
    Goblet Squats
    Sled
    Smith Lunges
    Standing Calf Raises 3 x 25
    Bulgarian Split Squats
    KBell Deads
    Sled Calf Raises 3 x 25
    Landmine Squats
    Smith Deads
    Seated Calf Raises 3 x 25
    Deficit Squats

Colt 45s
    Flutter/ Rev Crunches/ Hip Lifts/ Supine Bike/ Cable Crunches/ Twists/ Frog X/ Mtn Climbers/ Crunches/ Decline Sit-ups

1091 Total Reps
  • makinlifehappen
    makinlifehappen Posts: 110 Member
    Incline High Elbow Row + Incline Elbows Tucked Row
    SETS 3 REPS 20 Each

Slow Flex Lean Back Cable Shrug "2 Second Hold at Top"
    SETS 2 REPS 20 + 2 Drops

Heavy Seated Cable row drops - "Fixed elbow & Open lats"
    SETS 3 REPS 10 + 3 Drops

Hyper Extensions
    SETS 3 REPS 20

Incline Arnold Rotations Rest-Pause
    SETS 3 REPS 20RP

GIANT SET Inc Curl, Ing Drag, Seated Concentration, Seated Drag
    SETS 3 REPS 20 Each

• matt9712
    matt9712 Posts: 50 Member
    Pretty much just warm up sets as motivation and focus were non existent. But here's to a better workout tomorrow 💪
  • Djproulx
    2 mile lunch time walk continuing in the winter warrior challenge. I'm getting somewhat bored with the challenge, but I'm part of a 10 person team that is currently close to the top (#4) among 362 teams nationally, so I don't want to let the team down. Our serious runners are putting in 80-110miles weekly while training for a trailfest marathon in March.

Looking forward to some deep tissue massage work tonight. Always feel great afterwards.
  • MikePfirrman
    edited January 2022
    Did an hour of easy rowing yesterday. I'm doing it unstrapped and with the bungee around the rail to ensure I don't overextend at the catch.

To save time, I'm doing exactly the same workout today :D .

The nice thing is, by doing this, I seem to have gotten better quickly at form. Also, it's keeping my HR down as well for the hour. Not worried one bit about pace. Ironically, I looked up my paces from my interval session the other day and it was the fastest average (by quite a bit) that I've done in a few years, even though the rest time was longer, that was encouraging that, perhaps, I'm on the right path.

Matt -- I'm at my red line too (around 198 or so). I'm also having to watch what I eat -- again! Always will be a battle for me despite the hours of cardio that I put in. I like to eat!

• Djproulx

The nice thing is, by doing this, I seem to have gotten better quickly at form. Also, it's keeping my HR down as well for the hour. Not worried one bit about pace. Ironically, I looked up my paces from my interval session the other day and it was the fastest average (by quite a bit) that I've done in a few years, even though the rest time was longer, that was encouraging that, perhaps, I'm on the right path.

This is very interesting. Sure sounds like you're seeing benefits.

The idea of only focusing on form, with no pace/speed metrics, was new to me until my coach programmed several different form based workout types into my training. One of them was surprisingly challenging, the Minimum Form Pace drill. It requires you to go as SLOW as possible(eg 12:30/mile) while maintaining perfect run form (Proud chest, slight forward lean, mid foot strike, etc.) The goal is to build perfect form into muscle memory so you maintain it deep into a race when fatigue sets in. The other drill that your post reminds me of is the Familiar Loop run. The approach is to run a familiar loop that is 2-4miles long while not wearing a watch, just going at whatever speed is comfortable - no pushing the pace. This run is repeated occasionally throughout a training cycle (say 3 times in 16-20 weeks) and it is a good barometer of fitness improvements, since it often reveals speed improvements at the same HR, or the same speed maintained at a lower HR.

• Djproulx
    Gym session this am. Worked on some swim focused movements (supermans, dumbbell pull overs while lying down) then moved to working on my limiters, specifically balance issues due to lack of hip mobility and rotation. Did a bunch of TGU's unweighted, focusing on getting a higher bridge with the extended leg locked out and then making a smoother transfer of that leg under my body and into the kneeling position just before standing.

We also began to incorporate a movement that starts in the bear crawl position, then using hip/torso rotation, brings one leg under the body and extends the leg facing upwards on the opposite side. This is repeated side to side, with the arms never moving from the downward facing bear crawl starting position.

Milder day today, so got out for 3.5mile easy run at lunch.
  • MikePfirrman
    Djproulx wrote: »

The idea of only focusing on form, with no pace/speed metrics, was new to me until my coach programmed several different form based workout types into my training. One of them was surprisingly challenging, the Minimum Form Pace drill. It requires you to go as SLOW as possible(eg 12:30/mile) while maintaining perfect run form (Proud chest, slight forward lean, mid foot strike, etc.) The goal is to build perfect form into muscle memory so you maintain it deep into a race when fatigue sets in. The other drill that your post reminds me of is the Familiar Loop run. The approach is to run a familiar loop that is 2-4miles long while not wearing a watch, just going at whatever speed is comfortable - no pushing the pace. This run is repeated occasionally throughout a training cycle (say 3 times in 16-20 weeks) and it is a good barometer of fitness improvements, since it often reveals speed improvements at the same HR, or the same speed maintained at a lower HR.

That's exactly it. Muscle memory. Without a coach and never having done OTW (over the water) rowing like Ann, I have a severe tendency to build sloppy habits into my stroke. These are some cheats that I've learned that help program the good stuff back into your stroke.

And like you, probably the biggest thing I've learned is that my right hip limited mobility is greatly hindering my bend at the waist at the "catch" (the beginning of the stroke).

And you're also right - the idea is when you do a timed test, best not to get sloppy! I've seen improved stroke rate and power efficiency already.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,965 Member

That's exactly it. Muscle memory. Without a coach and never having done OTW (over the water) rowing like Ann, I have a severe tendency to build sloppy habits into my stroke. These are some cheats that I've learned that help program the good stuff back into your stroke.

And like you, probably the biggest thing I've learned is that my righogou hip limited mobility is greatly hindering my bend at the waist at the "catch" (the beginning of the stroke).

And you're also right - the idea is when you do a timed test, best not to get sloppy! I've seen improved stroke rate and power efficiency already.

May I interfere here?

I'm hoping it's a bend - well, swing or opening, not bend exactly - at the hip joint (not the anatomical waist), and that "waist" is just turn of phrase. Further, I'm hoping you're focusing on getting that forward swing right off the finish (finish, arms away, body over, then no more upper body action until the swing back open from the hips mid drive)?

I suspect you're doing all this, since you're experienced and fast. I know others read here, though, maybe without commenting even.

Minor digression as semi-relevant background: I've found that in boats, some of our newer folks have a problem in that they hit front-stops (it's somewhat analogous to getting too much compression at the catch end on a machine, though some details differ - in a boat one can literally run out of slide, hit the end of the seat-tracks). They try, sometimes, to fix this by changing where the shoes are in the boat (another adjustment that doesn't apply to machine rowing in the same way, and that in their cases results in reduced power because of leverage on the oar-face, to oversimplify).

Back to machine relevance: For those folks, a better fix is to make it a point to get their whole forward length right out of the finish, and eliminate any reach or lunge for more length at the catch end. This part can apply on the rowing machine, not just boats. I'm mentioning it in case there may be folks newer to machine rowing . . . in a boat, there are other negatives that come from reach/lunge at the catch end, that we don't experience as directly on a machine. It still can cause some subtler issues, even on the machine.
  • dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    10 minutes on elliptical warm up, then my easy-does-it strength training, version 2.0: incline pushups, rows (low weight), bridges with a ball and crunches.

This is my second foray with this set of exercises. I was very sore the last time, so I'm curious to see what happens this time.
  • MikePfirrman
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

And like you, probably the biggest thing I've learned is that my righogou hip limited mobility is greatly hindering my bend at the waist at the "catch" (the beginning of the stroke).

May I interfere here?

I'm hoping it's a bend - well, swing or opening, not bend exactly - at the hip joint (not the anatomical waist), and that "waist" is just turn of phrase. Further, I'm hoping you're focusing on getting that forward swing right off the finish (finish, arms away, body over, then no more upper body action until the swing back open from the hips mid drive)?

I suspect you're doing all this, since you're experienced and fast. I know others read here, though, maybe without commenting even.

Minor digression as semi-relevant background: I've found that in boats, some of our newer folks have a problem in that they hit front-stops (it's somewhat analogous to getting too much compression at the catch end on a machine, though some details differ - in a boat one can literally run out of slide, hit the end of the seat-tracks). They try, sometimes, to fix this by changing where the shoes are in the boat (another adjustment that doesn't apply to machine rowing in the same way, and that in their cases results in reduced power because of leverage on the oar-face, to oversimplify).

Back to machine relevance: For those folks, a better fix is to make it a point to get their whole forward length right out of the finish, and eliminate any reach or lunge for more length at the catch end. This part can apply on the rowing machine, not just boats. I'm mentioning it in case there may be folks newer to machine rowing . . . in a boat, there are other negatives that come from reach/lunge at the catch end, that we don't experience as directly on a machine. It still can cause some subtler issues, even on the machine.

Yes, more accurate Ann. It's actually the hip hinge that I'm having issues with because if you stay semi-straight back, the bend is actually in the hip hinge where the initial power comes from if done properly. What I struggle with is staying tucked until the legs are nearly fully extended before using the body swing and arms. Until I started going back to basics, I didn't realize how sloppy I had gotten and I used to rely (before the back injury) rely way too much on the upper body strength.