Coronavirus prep

Replies

• SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,777 Member
    Anyone seen proof that Omicron stays airborne longer than previously thought. I think I saw something on Facebook that particles were still shown to be in the air two hours after an infected person left the area. That would be sort of scary if it was true.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Here in Australia access to restaraunts is not limited for unvaccinated people - not sure about gyms since I never go to them

It is in some parts of the US currently, such as where I live. (Not complaining, just noting it.)
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    33gail33 wrote: »
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    I read this yesterday and it is still lingering with me. https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/11/opinion/omicron-covid-biden.html
    Britain, Stephanie H. Murray points out in The Atlantic, is determined “to ask as little as possible of children,” imposing harsher restrictions on adults so that students can continue to go to school. “Even during the strictest portion of last year’s lockdown, when all pubs and restaurants were closed and sitting on a bench with someone you ran into at the park was illegal, in-person schooling remained available for vulnerable kids and children of essential workers,” she writes.

Americans, by contrast, “have accepted more harm to children in exchange for less harm to adults, often without acknowledging the dilemma or assessing which decisions lead to less overall harm,” The Times’s David Leonhardt writes.

Lamentable.

I mean the parents and teachers around here are never happy - they want the schools open, but also an online alternative for those who want it, and also a guarantee that their children won't get Covid.
    Covid is everywhere now if you want to guarantee that your children won't be exposed then you'd just have to keep them home. I mean do people have so little faith in the vaccines they are taking, and giving to their children, that they are panicking about school exposures? I don't get it. Your double vaxx'd kid is going to be fine.

My reading of the piece is that they think closing in person school should be avoided (or a very last resort) as in Europe. I agree with you that at this point lockdowns or closing businesses makes no sense -- I don't think anywhere in the US is even considering that -- but that closing in person school before other options (like closing bars) is bad policy. I'm also against closing in person school and the impression I get (as it was a big issue where I live) is that most parents are too, it's mainly the teachers who were pushing for it.

I just read the Michael Lewis book on the lead up to covid (it's mostly about public health in the US in the years before) and one interesting thing is that they thought closing schools was one of the main things that would prevent spread, but although they didn't go into it I think that may have been less so here for various reasons. Also, once it's clear there's no covid zero and any closure seems like it just postpones things, I think the will to do any of it is gone. At least that's what seems true where I am, so the piece seems somewhat out of date -- a year ago I think it would have been more on point.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    Here (Michigan) there are increasing numbers of employers and large-event venues (sports arenas, for one example among others) that are requiring vaccination to attend their site in person. (Documented medical exemptions generally apply.)

In some states, and this is one, the state legislature or more-local governing bodies have attempted to restrict some entities (schools, businesses, etc.) from requiring vaccination, mandating masks, and that sort of thing. I haven't really kept up on the picture, as far as how successful that's been. Not completely successful yet, for sure, though.
  • smithker75
    smithker75 Posts: 80 Member
    Here in Australia access to restaraunts is not limited for unvaccinated people - not sure about gyms since I never go to them

Unvaccinated people can not eat in restaurants in Queensland.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,967 Member
    smithker75 wrote: »

Unvaccinated people can not eat in restaurants in Queensland.

I read that WA is bringing that in soon too.

Not the case in SA where I live - sorry, wasn't aware it was already so in any other states.

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,967 Member
    Wow that seems ridiculously inadequate length of time. :o

here in Australia isolation if positive has gone from 10 days to 7 days - one can come out of isolation after 7 days if asymptomatic by day 6
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Hubby made it home from Florida yesterday. My opinion is that he would have been logically exposed to COVID on they flight.

If he remains asymptomatic, on what day post flight would you use up a precious home Rapid test to see if he is carrying the virus? There are family members that we are trying hard to not expose to COVID.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,932 Member
    They're saying Omicron is symptomatic in one or two days. If he isn't symptomatic I wouldn't test until you're going to visit with family members.