WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2022

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    We are having a chilly gray day. I’ve done our grocery shopping and was unable to buy our preferred cottage cheese. I have some of mine but dh needs lactaid cottage cheese, and the store was out. I have lactaid tablets that I have used when going to a restaurant. DH can use the lactaid tablets until his preferred cottage cheese is available.

The best part of today was a phone call from our son. We had a lovely chat while he was driving. ❤️
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,633 Member
    Options
    B)
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,755 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Tracey - It must be a different kind of test. Here you can go back to work etc if you have two successive days negative. Could be as early as day 5 and 6, but Edie was 8 and 9. Lateral Flow tests viral load, which is how infectious you are. Most people have boxes of the things, but pharmacists do run out! They are free.
    I'm the kind of person who likes my surroundings very 'personal' free. I sometimes have school photos of the kids up on a shelf for a while, but, generally, I like to keep everything minimal. I don't even have many pictures, and I love art. I would be happy in a modernist home. :laugh: I do display my ceramics. <3 DH likes it a bit more homely than me, so we have a compromise. I keep my junk in the utility room! It is a mess. Awful. Other places are the repository of my archives etc.(I have a lot) DH finds that difficult as well, but I'm not looking at them all day! I'm a secret junk girl.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

As of just a week ago, they are saying that insurance now has to pay for the test kits- BUT, we have to pay for them first and then get reimbursed. Right now, the pharmacy we go to has been out of them.
    Before that change, if you wanted the test kits, you had to pay for them and they were a bit pricey from what I heard.

Debbie ... I just found about the reimbursement through insurance yesterday at my pharmacy. I was allowed to purchase 6 tests and I immediately came home and submitted a claim. I was told the carriers in my area have agreed to pay for 8 tests per month. My husband and I are visiting my 90-something parents weekly and need to test before we get anywhere near them. Keeping my fingers crossed that we get reimbursed. The kits I purchased yesterday were one test per box at 9.99 each. Gets pricey.

I also "ordered" my free kits from the post-office (total of 4 kits), but that will only get us through 2 weeks/visits.

Beth near Buffalo
  • Katla49
    Options
    Allie - It has been a long time since I had babies. Back then I had awful pain from my soggy bras. I found plastic cups that I put on inside my nursing bras back then. Today I found them advertised on Walmart. They’re called Reusable Silicone Breast Shells 2 pack Nursing Cups for nursing Moms -$8.10 from Walmart. See what you think. In my case back then no soggy bras soaking my blouses, and no chapped nipples.

Katla
  • Katla49
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Allie again, one more thing- I was able to catch the milk in the nursing cups and store it in baby bottles in the refrigerator. If I was too tired to nurse, my husband could warm the collected milk in the bottle. I could get some sleep and the baby had healthy milk. This system might help Tracy.
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    I did my dumbbells! Yay! It's 90 minutes of exercises and stretches, mostly with a pair of four pound dumbbells. Plus planks and crunches and stuff. I ought to do lunges too. Maybe I will work that in somewhere.

I had a thawed chicken in the garage to make for dinner, but it got half frozen again somehow. So I will put it in the oven tomorrow when I have more lead time. Tonight will be ham, peas, and noodles.

Meanwhile I have been reading Sarah Maas. I finished "A Court of Thorns and Roses" and now I'm into "A Court of Mist and Fury."

I did a fair amount of Duolingo but only did three crowns on each lesson. So now I'm going back over the beginning in both French and Spanish and doing up to five crowns. It's more typing but that gets me better at the accents.

So that's what I'm up to, staying in the house. Maybe I will get back to writing soon.

Annie in Delaware

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,714 Member
    Options
    I bought Tracy washable nursing pads to go in her bras.. and Kyle did too so she has a bunch of those those seem to be working ..
    I also bought her mothers milk tea to help with milk production.. she is doing what she can.. ill do what i can to help..
    Took Carmine to McDonald's today and dropped her off
    Will be dropping Carmine off in the morning and back to help take care of Miles .then off for a ultrasound of my thyroid early afternoo and home for a grocery delivery
  • Katla49
    Options
    Kim - Good luck with your Covid shots. We got ours through Walgreens at no cost. We had two shots a month apart, and a third “booster” later. We also had flu shots. Appointments were necessary.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,563 Member
    Options
    Stat for the day-

Walk/jog w/yogi- 1hr 9min 53sec, 125ahr, 162mhr, 4.46ap, 37elev, 5.23mi= 572c
    Strava app = 631c
  • Katla49
    Options
    Kim — We wear our masks whenever we are in public. The majority of people we see in our town are also masked.
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    :)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,714 Member
    Options
    I wear my masks when i go out also,and when im at my daughters with the little guy
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,963 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Sitting her,not so patiently waiting for dinner to cool off so I can eat- made scalloped potatoes with ham, and a green salad.
    Only ate less than 400 cal. so far today so I am going to enjoy a nice serving of the potatoes- I was thinking about them when I was trying to go to sleep last night- almost got up at 1Am to start them.

Going to watch Life Below Zero and Port Protection while I have dinner. Nice that it is a new season, I still watch the reruns of both shows.

Talked to former hubby- he said someone in their church is sick with Covid for the THIRD time- waiting to hear back from him to see if this person has had their shots
    He just let me know. The lady is a nurse and has had all her shots

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,633 Member
    Options
    katla- I think I must have not been clear, I am fully vaccinated and boostered, it is just the home tests I was commenting on.
    smiles Kim
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,905 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Hi Gals,
    I am finding it interesting to see the variety of costs and availability of covid tests, I also ordered my 4 free tests, around here they are a challenge to find, but when I have they are in 2 packs running from $23 - $36. I have not yet done the reimbursement deal, and since my insurance has private pharmacies my guess is I will have to go there. The last time I bought some was before the reimbursement program started.
    I still wear my mask everywhere, and around almost everyone, it may be an overreaction but owning my own business means that if I am sick there is no sick time and no income… seems like an easy “insurance” against a cold/flu/or covid.
    The weather here has been in the 30’s to low 40’s at night and then from noon to 3pm in the low 60’s so I have been working in the yard each afternoon. It’s good for my mental health to get some gardening done.
    Thinking of you all, and hoping for a happy healthy day
    Smiles Kim in N. California

I haven't had to be tested so I wasn't sure about the process.

https://www.coronavirus.tas.gov.au/keeping-yourself-safe/testing-for-covid-19
    "Rapid antigen tests (RAT) are available for free for anyone who is symptomatic, a close contact of a confirmed case or has been directed by Public Health to take one. Eligible people who require a RAT kit need to register their details via the online request form."

Otherwise you can go to a testing clinic and get the PCR (polymerase chain reaction) test for free.

There are no tests for people who just want to get together. We're 90-something percent vaccinated here so we can get together as long as we wear masks, distance ourselves and use hand sanitiser.
    Regarding distancing, "Currently density limits are 1 person per 2 square metres." So offices like the one I work at now require some people to work from home.

I, however, prefer to limit my contact with people as much as possible. I always have. :)

I don't mind wearing a mask at all, I can see them becoming fashion statements! But 10+ hours in a mask without much of a break (a few minutes to eat) is difficult. You know what happens to your hands and feet in a long bath ... that sort of thing starts to happen to nose and mouth wearing a mask for an extended period of time!

Tassie Stats:
    2omfvi6nwze6.png

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,905 Member
    Options
    It's Australia Day today ... cooler and cloudy than what we've had recently, but that's OK.

Australia Day is controversial here and one of the questions that a newspaper asked was, "Are you going to celebrate Australia Day?"

Well ... if sleeping in, taking down my Christmas decorations, catching up on a few things around the house, and going for a bicycle ride or walk is "celebrating", then you betcha I'm going to celebrate!! :smiley:

Machka in Oz
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,353 Member
    Options
    Worked today then went with Vince for him to get his allergy shot. Then stopped at the Salvation Army to make a donation and, of course, to go in the store. Guess what I found? An exercise DVD that I didn’t own! Also got a shirt, we shall see how this goes.

Home to get dinner ready. Later I might go to Ollie’s to get some cards since I need them and have a 15% off coupon.

Here’s Woody!

Barbara – yes, NC just got a lot of snow (I even had to shovel). But today it’s in the 50’s. Go figure!

Lisa – every time I have to wash the lettuce at work, I think of you because I need to mix the lettuce in the veggi wash just like you’re mixing bread dough. Then I take the lettuce that’s been chopped up and “knead” it to make sure it’s not in big chunks. The biggest problem I have with making bread is that I have a hard time resisting bread right out of the oven with butter on it….mmmmmmmmmm

Taxes – Fortunately, Vince being a retired CPA, he does the taxes, for us and many times for Jess.

Kelly – welcome!

Went to Ollies, got Jess a congratulations card and her b-day card. Do you know they didn’t have any Valentines day cards so I’ll probably go to the dollar store for them. Also got a Cookie Monster book for Vince for next Christmas, quart plastic freezer bags since Aldi’s hasn’t had them in a long time along with a IP cookbook. It looks pretty basic, which is what I need. And I used my 15% off coupon!

Michele NC