WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2022

Options

Replies

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,986 Member
    Options
    Bus rides: Lived 7 miles from school, so bus rides to and from... just part of life, but in high school, when I skipped school, I couldn't go home. I hung out in the small town where the school was, and someone always saw me and ratted me out to my mom. The phrase "It takes a village to raise a child" may have been born in the small towns of East Texas.

$10,000 handed to me? Yeah, that would just go toward the mortgage. I'm a goal-driven person, and that's the overriding goal right now. We're still on track to pay it off by the end of this year. 🤞

Hugs to those in need, cheers to those who are working so hard to maintain or to change their lifestyles, much respect. Reading lots, sorry so few responses... Not used to being caught up in a busy week, and I'm glad to be back to my quieter life today. Have to be at the rheumatologist on Monday, and Corey's taking a day off to drive me - his offices are north of us about an hour and a half drive. Hope there are answers but know that it will probably take time.

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend,
    Love,
    Lisa in AR

Lisa- that is going to feel so amazing when you send in that last payment.
    That was one thing we made sure to do before dh retired almost 6 yrs ago.
    No house or car payments, just property taxes and regular bills is so nice.

Good luck with the dr. on Monday- Hope you find the answers you are searching for
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,273 Member
    Options
    Parents here walk with the younger kids to school and back. Max, 10, cycles, or walks by himself.
    That's why Hove always comes out as one of the thinnest, fittest, healthiest places in the country.
    My son is sometimes lazy and takes the car when he could walk or cycle. I do not approve. :p
    I have only been in my car once since December 2019. We walk everywhere, even if it's several miles.

I do not want to go in our car anywhere, which DH is upset about. I have agreed to meet his friends in February, but he failed to tell them I am not travelling in the car, so they will have to come here and walk to a restaurant. He has also failed to tell them they will have to take a lateral flow test first. Communication is lacking and I am not amused. Oh well, not my problem. They either come, or they don't.

I'm feeling very critical of DH at the moment, which is not a comfortable feeling. Not entirely sure why, but a lot of it is to do with the LPOA , which he is reluctant to do. Today I contacted a solicitor and got a quote, but I haven't had that discussion with him yet. We could do it cheaply on line and I have almost completed mine, but he needs a fire cracker to get going. Grrr! I thought a lawyer might help.

Love to all. Hope to feel better tomorrow!

Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Kim,

My 2 cents worth - caramelize the leeks slightly, use Yukon Gold potatoes, be generous with the salt and garlic, and use real cream.

Karen in Virginia
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    Things I enjoyed in January: I went to water exercise twice a week and rewarded myself each time with a few minutes in the hot tub, I finished reading "The Ride of Her Life" and I will celebrate my birthday on Monday January 31. DD is taking me out to brunch on Sunday.

Lisa - good luck with the rheumatologist. Hope they figure some things out for you.

Katla - Hope you fid a pup soon.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,432 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Sue in WA - happy early birthday!

Heather - You also live in a truly pedestrian-oriented city, with sidewalks and crosswalks. Sidewalks are sketchy here, particularly in rural areas. Add the fact that there are no shoulders or verges on two-lane curvy country roads, and it can actually get dangerous. Stephen King, the author, was hit by a van on a similar country road to where I grew up and where I live now. He was pinned against a tree. He had five operations in the first 10 days after the accident. On these country roads, people drive far too fast because they grew up there and they get careless.

Bluntly,the United States of America was built for cars - our entire infrastructure is wholly oriented around them. Some larger cities do have areas that are built for pedestrians, but most don't. There is also a dearth of public transportation except again, in large cities.

I absolutely loved the trains in the UK, as well as walking... I worked for an estate agency in Reading for quite some time, and I would wander down the High Street at lunch every day - the sound of hundreds of women's heels on the pavement, tockity-tock was fascinating to me. My boss rode a Vespa to work every day--she wore bright red leathers, and had the big learner L on the front. Funny what sticks with you - that was more than 40 years ago. Loved living there.

Love,
    Lisa in AR
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,972 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    I did my 3 mins elliptical, 6 mins marching and 30 mins yoga. Yay!

And now for the dreaded Friday weigh- in: up about a pound to 170.2. So the penalty for my cookie binges wasn't too bad on the scale. It's worse for my self - esteem because I really felt like a failure. I haven't begun to find my way to losing two pounds a week. Well, I get another chance this week.

Annie in Delaware

Losing 2 lbs a week is a big effort. "They" actually recommend aiming for a maximum of 1 lb/week.

It is generally assumed that 1 lb is 3500 calories (although there is some recent disagreement about that). Therefore to lose 2 lb/week, you need a deficit of 7000 calories during the week.

That's a deficit of 1000 calories a day.

If your resting metabolic rate is about 1400 calories (that's the assumption for the average woman), you would need to be 1000 calories lower than that - 400 calories a day ... and of course, that is certainly NOT recommended!

But you could attain a deficit of 1000 calories a day by eating 1200 calories a day (that's a 200 calorie deficit) and exercising 800 calories a day.

800 calories of exercise would be things like cycling 40 km/day, walking over 15 km/day, running about 10 km/day etc. It's an effort!

So "they" recommend going for 1 lb/week. That's about a 500 calorie deficit.

You can attain a 500 calorie deficit by eating 1200 calories a day (200 calorie deficit) and exercising 300 calories a day.

300 calories would be things like cycling 15 km/day, walking about 6 km/day, running about 4 km/day. That's much more attainable.

Machka in Oz

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Worked then soup kitchen. I totally forgot that I can use the gym after the soup kitchen so I didn’t take my things with me. The plan for tomorrow is to do Tonya Larson’s Pure Pump DVD and then Tony Little’s Body Express DVD. Supposed to snow tonight. They say a dusting to 2”. That probably translates into a dusting

KJ – congrats on the awesome loss

barbie – when I got the shingles vaccine, I was still covered under our insurance so it was free for me. I kept telling Vince to get his before he went on Medicare. Did he listen to me?

Pip – what expressive pics'!

When I make soup, I usually make some for the freezer and potatoes don’t freeze well, so I very seldom make soups that contain potatoes

katla – I’m sorry you didn’t get to yoga. How is Arrow, you haven’t mentioned him in a while.

Sue WA – happy birthday

1derwhy – welcome! Keep coming back and you’ll want to post. Be forewarned, tho, we are a chatty group. Just post about whatever you find the most interesting.

Pip – I’m sure the new floor will look spectacular.

Michele NC
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Accountability:
    Chose well: Joe, readings, BP, mfp50+, CI<CIO, CI<250<CO, steps >7400, active 4.0
    Bonus: 142.6, veg prep
    Workin’ on it: H20x5
    Happier January 2022
    27: Challenge your negative thoughts and look for the upside.
    28: Ask other people about things they’ve enjoyed recently.

Beach stroll with Joe and the dogs, lovely way to start the day. A little chilly in the breezy shade, but glorious sunshine, blue sky and sea. Worth the disruption in morning routine. Again, no regrets.

Recorded Jeopardy walking to make step goals, was a little sad to see Amy Schneider’s 40 day streak broken. I’d grown to like her.

Walking/riding bike to school story (some have heard this before.) Shortly after we moved to Boise Idaho, a story appeared in the newspaper. Seems a father was following his daughter, he in his car, she on her bike, as she rode to school. Suddenly a woman’s car cut in between them, she lept out and asked the child “Is that man bothering you?” Testament to the family friendly culture of Idaho. The father was following/accompanying her because in Southern California (from where they’d just moved) that was the only safe way for kids to bike to school.

Heather what’s in your slimming, spicy, oriental soup? If its fish or seafood, don’t tell me :sick:
    Thanks, Barbie! Hope that sore arm eases soon.
    Annie I too have a weakness for cookies. Sometimes more protein helps me to moderate intake, so today I googled “protein cookies” and found a peanut butter protein powder chocolate chip recipe to try ;)
    Vicki in a way it may be a good thing that that contractor no showed… before he started work.
    Pip :love: Yogi in his pool.
    Tina sorry to hear about your vacation and your Mister’s positive test.
    Rebeca turn about is fair play, you’ve been cooking for your son for a loooong time.
    Ginny “…excited about exercise equipment…” :laughing:
    Michele hoping Vince can find a way to switch his worries to positive thoughts for Clyde.
    Katla fingers Xd for the pup. Had poodles as a child and loved them. Smart, trainable, and real clowns, but do not let them off leash where there are ducks in a pond… ;)
    Kim do you boil the potatoes in stock (chicken or veg)? Do you sautee the leeks before adding them in? If all else fails, stir a little sour cream in just before serving ;)

From Happier January:

pcye8csx8ld7.png

So, ladies, what things have you enjoyed recently?

Lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    2022: Be still and listen.
    51n35ufuvs7c.gif

The fact that he has the option of eating or not eating, he's had it made actually! I buy him treats as well. Having him home for the 3+ years has been really great. Our grocery bill should go way down!
    Today I made this:
    Alrighty, heaven right here!
    4 precooked jumbo shrimp
    3 oz beef kielbasa sausage cubed
    4 potatoes cubed
    1/2 sweet yellow onion cubed
    3 cups chicken stock (homemade)
    1 container of microwavable wild rice
    1/2 cup cannenilli white beans
    1 spoonful of sour cream
    2 hefty splashes of cream
    Spices: pepper, Old Bay, roasted garlic paste
    3 T of sweet butter

Boil potatoes
    Saute' onions, kielbasa sausage, with 2 T butter and a hefty squirt of garlic paste.
    I have my chicken stock in ice cubes so warmed those in a small pan.
    Toss beans and shrimp with Old Bay, add to pan with onions and sausage.
    Ladle potatoes out when fork tender, add to pan, save water though.
    Microwave rice bucket add to pan. Add broth until its the consistency you like.
    Add sour cream and cream and stir. Add a ladle of water if it starts to get too thick.
    Added a sprinkling of more Old Bay, because its a new spice for me, and I am kind of addicted.
    Add pat of butter, because you can never have too much butter.😁
    Enjoy!
    Update!! It can serve two, as I have a jar for tomorrow!! Woohoo! I will most likely have to add a bit more chicken stock, and a splash of cream, but hey, ya gotta do what ya gotta do!💖
    57yyste3pft3.jpg
    49y0k7jqucc3.jpg
    5wqmjtf6ndmh.jpg
    Hugs ladies!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    WA
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I haven’t seen Arrow in a long while. I haven’t had the opportunity to see his owner or Arrow. I miss them both. We lost our sweet old dog, Schooner, to cancer. The veterinarian’s staff have contacted me about a possible puppy. I will be thrilled if this turns out to be a good match for us.❤️
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    <3
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Kim, I used to cook for a living and my potato leek soup was pretty darn good, even if I do say so myself! I lightly sauteed onion and celery, just in vegetable oil, added the leeks and sauteed them lightly also. Then water, diced potatoes, salt, pepper etc. I also added chicken soup base, it really does add a lot of flavor. I would grate a few of the potatoes, this helped thicken the soup without adding calories. Then to thicken it further I would make a roux (flour and oil) and when the soup was pretty much cooked I would add that, stirring constantly til the soup came to a boil again. Then add heavy cream to thin out. Be careful with the roux, if you add too much, well, it just isn't pretty and quite a pain to get it back to the proper consistency. I made it at home once and tried using just milk, sadly, it just wasn't the same. It is definitely not a low cal soup, but oh so good!! Good luck!
    As usual, I've been reading along, but not had time to do any commenting. In fact, I should have been in bed about 30 min ago today too. Oh well, life will go on! lol
    Hugs to those needing them, congrats to those celebrating and welcome to the newbies! Just jump in when a topic interests you!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    BARBARA thanks the dentist's was simple and not painful. Glad you had a nice moment with Joe.

HEATHER great job on your writing!

TINA I'm sorry you don't feel it. All is relative and personal as you say. The 1.5 of exercise is helping your overall health and probably firmness, muscle, etc., even if it's not too visible so far.

Hi everyone.

Motivation not top today. Yesterday I went to my 3 schools.
    1) had work doctor appointment. But the doctor was out sick was vomitting at night.
    2) had an interesting appointment, not simple but interesting.
    3) call w lawyer who postponed the call to an hour later (annoying but better than not calling)
    4) went to other school to pop by to say very brief goodbye to retiring person.
    Was long day with lot of running around.
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,506 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Accountability:
    Chose well: readings, BP, mfp50+, CI<CIO, CI<250<CO, steps >7400, made up SWSY and rest of 1/10 + 1/17’s line dancing on the sand, active 5.26 no wonder I’m pooped!
    Bonus: 142.4, Freddie’s, recycling
    Workin’ on it: H20x4
    Happier January 2022
    29: Say hello to a neighbor and get to know them better.

On my way out to Freddie’s, I saw all our lane’s mailboxes' doors hanging open and some circulars on the ground. Nothing inside. Called it in to the county sheriff (“dispatch” took over 25 rings to answer transferred call) who will have someone call back. No word yet. Thankful for USPS Informed delivery so I know we lost a credit card bill, credit union receipt and “a piece of mail that we do not have an image for.” The statements I can get online, but the mystery piece? Was it a card from a friend, or just junk mail? Reported as missing on USPS website, but that opens a “search” when mail was stolen and probably trashed. Nowhere on their website to report stolen mail/vandalized mailboxes. Time to switch more mail to P.O. Box, if I can get informed delivery on it too…
    slc6kg2t5gan.jpeg

Kim thanks for asking Machka about the seasons, I was confused too!
    Heather, thanks! Maybe if I substituted chicken for the prawns and better than bouillon for the shrimp paste… ;)
    KJ four pounds? Woot, woot!!!
    Pip, one of my faves too, and that caption says it all!
    Vicki safe travels.
    Tina could you share the link to the cooking with TBI podcast?
    Debbie that was such a very hard time for you.
    Katla hope your furnace gets fixed quick! I remember when the heater in our apartment failed and we had a hard time persuading the landlord to order repairs. It got so bad I’d cry when leaving work, not wanting to return to cold apartment.
    Lisa likewise when I was in high school, the busybody in the checkout line would always be sure Mama knew what my boyfriend and I were “up to”. Sending good thoughts for Monday’s rheumatologist appointment. For answers, and easily remedied ones.
    Karen your “carmelize the leeks…” made my mouth water.
    Welcome @1derwhy! Would you let us know what you’d like to be called and your general locale?
    Rebecca your soup looked yummy, ‘til I saw the shrimp… ;)
    Evelyn, what you said about chicken soup base in potato soup. Yum.
    Julie don’t you hate it when your doctor is sick? :sick:

Sure I missed some, not intentional, just sleepy. Joe’s up so its time for the shift change.

Lighter, lovelies!
    7xeknknymm27.gif
  • Machka9
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Accountability:
    Chose well: readings, BP, mfp50+, CI<CIO, CI<250<CO, steps >7400, made up SWSY and rest of 1/10 + 1/17’s line dancing on the sand, active 5.26 no wonder I’m pooped!
    Bonus: 142.4, Freddie’s, recycling
    Workin’ on it: H20x4
    Happier January 2022
    29: Say hello to a neighbor and get to know them better.

On my way out to Freddie’s, I saw all our lane’s mailboxes' doors hanging open and some circulars on the ground. Nothing inside. Called it in to the county sheriff (“dispatch” took over 25 rings to answer transferred call) who will have someone call back. No word yet. Thankful for USPS Informed delivery so I know we lost a credit card bill, credit union receipt and “a piece of mail that we do not have an image for.” The statements I can get online, but the mystery piece? Was it a card from a friend, or just junk mail? Reported as missing on USPS website, but that opens a “search” when mail was stolen and probably trashed. Nowhere on their website to report stolen mail/vandalized mailboxes. Time to switch more mail to P.O. Box, if I can get informed delivery on it too…
    slc6kg2t5gan.jpeg

Kim thanks for asking Machka about the seasons, I was confused too!

Lighter, lovelies!
    7xeknknymm27.gif

:open_mouth:

Are the mailboxes locked?

The seasons are more or less the opposite here except that we use Meteorological Seasons instead of Astronomical Seasons.

https://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/aboutseasons.html

Machka in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,273 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Sorry about the mailboxes, Barbara. In Britain mail is delivered straight into the house through a letterbox in the front door. Not in apartments though. :/

I've been playing at doing some drawing for Grayson's Art Club on TV. The theme of Love. :D I am not in any way an artist, but the point of the show is for anyone to have a go. It doesn't have to be Great Art.
    I've got a couple, out of five attempts, that I want to work more on. I haven't done any Art for at least 15 years, so it was a fun challenge! Both the pictures involve a cup of tea. :p
    Then I will have to take photos and do a short video.
    I love Grayson Perrry and even more love his wife, Philippa Perry. She does a regular agony aunt column in the Guardian. And funny podcasts. She is 64.

Going to roast brussel sprouts for the first time tonight. I roast cauliflower a lot, so we will see.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Options
    Speaking of differences between North America and Australia ...
    And speaking of school buses ...

In Australia, we don't have the "yellow school bus" that is common in North America.

Yellow School Bus
    rfegvgyyhgvf.png

In Australia, the school buses look like this (this is one that travels in this area) or very similar. And often students just catch a city bus. They put on an extra bus a couple times a day (morning & afternoon) for that purpose.
    dv91jcdardyg.png

M in Oz
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Lisa-paying off your house will be liberating. I am so glad mine is paid in full. Not having the mortgage payment makes me reluctant to move! I have my utilities, which aren’t bad and yearly property tax and insurances.

Julie-you seem to have a busy life!

Machka-I found your explanation of weight loss to be extremely clear. I know the mechanics of it but it was good to get a basic explanation of a reminder and to keep goals reasonable.

Barbara AHMOD-that is horrible about the mail. Ours is delivered directly to mailboxes attached to our houses. To my knowledge no problems here.

Successes in January? I will end down 4 or so pounds (pesky Christmas weight and results of quitting smoking). Hope to be back to my preferred range by summer, but want down a bit more before son's wedding in April. Between smoking and holidays and went up about 15 and hate it. But I know how to get it off! And not smoking is worth a bump. I also made good progress on basement. Planning on finishing trim in basement today and clean up so I can use treadmill and bike. After we get the bar out I can work on painting walls in summer and putting tile in old shower.

Going to be cold here this weekend but none of the east coast blizzard. Got shopping done yesterday so I don't have to go out today. Going to make a small pot of chili (about 4 servings). I may try outside walk briefly this afternoon. Right now it is -1.

Exercise ball and other exercise equipment-I felt I could use none of it and getting in shape was for younger people (thought I had missed opportunity). I was wrong. Physical therapy and a good trainer showed me differently. While there are things I won't do, I find that I can do modifications of everything. I am mainly focused on balance and core strength and being able to carry basic household stuff so no heavy weights. Using smaller weights on regular basis is very helpful to me. I just have to think through what I am doing. Using ball and bosu I am close to table top to hold on to if I get wobbly.

Off to make breakfast and start the day-one of the cats is being very insistent about her food right now.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio

• Machka9
    Options
    Saturday --

Digging in garden. I can get digging and just lose myself out there. There is something strangely satisfying about digging up root weeds, rocks, etc. in a bed I will plant later.

Hardware store. I think what my husband got has something to do with gravelling the area under our outdoor clothes rack. We'll see. Meanwhile I got a desk cooler fan thing that is usb powered. I am so hot all the time that I've got these things everywhere. I just wish I could bring it on the bus!

Bicycle ride. Just a short one today. The left side of my back has cramped again ... upper back, shoulder, neck this time. Last time, it pulled a rib out of place. This time I just can't look left.

And I'm still trying to deal with my emails so there are fewer of them. I can work with the normal 30-50 a day. When they go over 100 a day as they've done recently, it gets daunting.

In some ways I'd like there to be an "off" switch so that emails don't get through for a few days.

Machka in Oz