I need a support group, or something

Options
I want to workout consistently and for a while I was. I would do some form of workout for at least 10 minutes each day, whether it’s a full workout or active recovery. But recently, I’ll make it two days of the bare minimum and then be really inactive on the third (and sometimes fourth) day. And then the cycle repeats.

I want to do intermittent fasting and for a while I was. But it got difficult, I’d get really hungry or start craving a coffee with some milk or half and half, which would break my fast. I usually don’t eat breakfast in the morning to begin with so the hunger was out of place, but I’ve always had a coffee with milk, it’s a little treat for me. I can drink coffee black but it’s not the same.

I’m working on changing my diet but I’ll find myself snacking too much or indulging in junk food or eating out. I want to increase protein but protein shakes are expensive and chalky and it’s hard for me to reach the recommended daily protein without them. I want to meal prep but I get tired of eating the same thing after three days.

And with all of these I remind myself why I’m doing it and what I want and then eventually I cave. It’s like I have no will power. This morning, I stared at the workout clothes I’d laid out and told myself to put them on and go to the gym, next thing I know I’m waking up late and having to rush out the door for work.

Any advice or suggestions would be great cause I’m at a lost for how to fix the mental blocks.

Replies

• Momcasciotti
    Momcasciotti Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    While I’m in the same boat right now, no motivation to keep going. The times I have stuck to my goals is when I start small. Make one change and stick with it for a couple of weeks before I add another change. A support group and someone to talk with daily has helped also. There are some fun challenge groups I have been part of that help with that social aspect.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options
    @Xellercin posted an awesome response to something like this. Basically, find things you like to do (or at least WILL do, no matter what the external things are: too tired, not motivated, it's cold, etc. It not only adds variety, it means you will do something. Most days, I don't feel like working out. I miss my swimming pool and I can't get there right now. So I'm "stuck" with rowing, running, walking, hiking, yoga, stretching, body weight stuff, or sometimes, just the PT for my knee to keep myself pain free. If we don't enjoy it, how in the world will we ever do after a long day of work/kids/people/traffic/darkness & cold???

I would also say to pay attention to yourself. I have tried many times to work out in the early morning. Yes, I always feel good afterward, and happy that I can check it off my list before my workday starts, but honestly, it's not every my best workouts. I need to do it at the end of the day. I just have better workouts. So I do. And when I do things I like, I find myself looking forward to it. I CANNOT rely on "getting motivated" because I am rarely motivated to do anything these dark, winter, Covid days. But if it's something I enjoy, even taking a walk around the neighborhood, then I'll do it. And then, it I'm doing it because "It's what I do"--as in, a habit :)
  • One9eightfour
    One9eightfour Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I want to workout consistently and for a while I was. I would do some form of workout for at least 10 minutes each day, whether it’s a full workout or active recovery. But recently, I’ll make it two days of the bare minimum and then be really inactive on the third (and sometimes fourth) day. And then the cycle repeats.

I am currently having the same problem. I will go hard for a week, six days out of seven and I will feel great. Monday through Thursday my diet will be on point, or at least not horrible. The weekend comes and I basically undo all the work I did during the week. It throws me off and then I'm down in the dumps for the next week. Rinse, repeat.

Personally, this week I am just saying no to temptation. If I can quit smoking cold turkey, I can quit binge eating *kitten* food too. It's hard but dang do I feel you on this. My only advise is to stay strong!
    I want to do intermittent fasting and for a while I was. But it got difficult, I’d get really hungry or start craving a coffee with some milk or half and half, which would break my fast. I usually don’t eat breakfast in the morning to begin with so the hunger was out of place, but I’ve always had a coffee with milk, it’s a little treat for me. I can drink coffee black but it’s not the same.

Coffee is fine while doing IF! I am very much a both feet in type person with most things in life, so when I did IF I tried to go hard and fast and as strict as possible. It didn't work for me, so I did things to keep within the guidelines of IF, but that made it not so hard to stick it out. I would suggest doing that - work you way to hardcore IF by building yourself up.

You wouldn't run a marathon without training, right?
    I’m working on changing my diet but I’ll find myself snacking too much or indulging in junk food or eating out. I want to increase protein but protein shakes are expensive and chalky and it’s hard for me to reach the recommended daily protein without them. I want to meal prep but I get tired of eating the same thing after three days.

I have the same issue when it comes to meal prep. It gets boring quickly IF you don't do something to change it up. Find cheap sources of protein in chicken and tuna. Find ways to make the most bland dishes interesting. There appears to be a lot of recipes on MFP as well as online - I have managed to find ways to make those proteins less boring, bland and repetitive.

I know this isn't the best advice, but if you want, feel free to message me with questions or just to vent. It helps sometimes, especially when cravings set in!