Coronavirus prep

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Discussion on medical ethics of delisting anti-vaxxers from transplant lists:
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Discussion on medical ethics of delisting anti-vaxxers from transplant lists:

All I can say is I wouldn't want to be the one to tell someone no, no matter what. :( We shouldn't ever have to be in that position but until something changes, there will always be people who are on/off those lists. :(
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,855 Member
    @T1DCarnivoreRunner Thanks for sharing that information. As a Mass resident, this was the topic of a morning radio talk show this past week. The host is also that anti-Vax radio host that I have mentioned once before, so it is easy for you to imagine his position.

One point he felt was key, but I felt might be open to other interpretations, was that the gentleman was told that the reason he was required to take the vaccination was that he "could die even from a cold post surgery" and therefore he needed the vaccine. The host's extrapolation was that therefore the vaccination itself could kill the man and therefore it was wrong to require it. What I saw in this statement was that this man was already so fragile that a cold could kill him and therefore he either needs as much protection as possible or alternatively that his is so fragile that he is already at a low risk of survival and maybe this organ is at risk of being wasted. The other point the host was making was that each vaccination has that risk of heart inflammation and that if this gentleman were vaccinated the vaccine could kill him with his already weekend heart. I think this twitter thread possibly fields that question in its statement that vaccine risk is much lower than the jeopardy he is already in from his heart condition.

As @reeniehj stated, I do not envy those in the position of making these determinations. I would not be able to handle that responsibility.

On another note, that I don't recall seeing in the twitter feed, is that the man/patient was approved for a mechanical device that can assist for potentially 5 years (this was stated in the radio broadcast). Who knows what might happen during this time that might get him back on the transplant list?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    SModa61 wrote: »
    x4sd0r4wva96.png

^ this is what I am describing when I mention an empty section. This happens to be a cat food section.

That looks like early pandemic days...definitely don't have that going on here. I just went grocery shopping yesterday afternoon after my gym session and everything was stocked full...crazy
  • SModa61
    To me that looks like a snowmegeddon grocery shelf. :# We are due to possibly have an ice storm and pretty cold weather late next week. I am going to shop tomorrow because by Tues and Wed there will be no milk, bread or water because well we might have ice for 6 hrs before it melts.

I would totally agree with you as this week preceded, but things have been almost this bad since late 2021 so at least in my local S&S they are being impacted somehow - staff, shipments? not sure
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,012 Member
    To me that looks like a snowmegeddon grocery shelf. :# We are due to possibly have an ice storm and pretty cold weather late next week. I am going to shop tomorrow because by Tues and Wed there will be no milk, bread or water because well we might have ice for 6 hrs before it melts.

I would totally agree with you as this week preceded, but things have been almost this bad since late 2021 so at least in my local S&S they are being impacted somehow - staff, shipments? not sure

Since we're getting different reports from different parts of the US about whether and which items are short, plus some shelves depleted in a store while others full, it seems more likely to be shipment/supply chain issues, IMO . . . or hoarding, which was a factor (though not the whole story) in the early paper-goods shortages IMU.

I haven't had pets in a while . . . I know lots of pet toys are foreign sourced, are foods often foreign sourced, too? With the weather weirdness in the US, and staffing shortages not only in stores but also in trucking and presumably in manufacturing and distribution, I'm sure there are domestic problems with supply chains, too, but we know there are still international ones.
  • SModa61
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Since we're getting different reports from different parts of the US about whether and which items are short, plus some shelves depleted in a store while others full, it seems more likely to be shipment/supply chain issues, IMO . . . or hoarding, which was a factor (though not the whole story) in the early paper-goods shortages IMU.

I haven't had pets in a while . . . I know lots of pet toys are foreign sourced, are foods often foreign sourced, too? With the weather weirdness in the US, and staffing shortages not only in stores but also in trucking and presumably in manufacturing and distribution, I'm sure there are domestic problems with supply chains, too, but we know there are still international ones.

I remember early on that aluminum was an issue and therefore making cans was an issue. One of my preferred cat food manufacturers is no longer making/selling cat food. The may resume at a later date but that is still TBD. There is likely an overseas issue as well.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

That whole business with melamine tainted pet food some years ago revealed that almost all American pet food makers source their protein from China.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Greetings, all. Anyone in the US who ordered government test hear anything about shipping? I ordered 1/12 and other than immediate confirmation email have not heard (or received) a thing.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    edited February 2022
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    Greetings, all. Anyone in the US who ordered government test hear anything about shipping? I ordered 1/12 and other than immediate confirmation email have not heard (or received) a thing.

I just got mine today. My sister and my brother got theirs a few days ago.
    We all received an e-mail notice from the post office shortly before delivery....I got an email at 7am this morning, and they were delivered around 10am.
    They are a separate package delivery from USPS, so may not come with your regular mail.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    Ours came last week. I'm sure my partner ordered them within days of when everyone else did because we each got 3 texts from separate and different family members, friends or colleagues with the link (people must think we're technologically stupid, lol). They're tucked away in the closet for now...
  • SModa61
    I have a little observation on the free test kits. Ordered a set for Massachusetts family one minute before ordering a set for us to be delivered us in Florida. The florida set that were ordered the one minute later, were delivered yesterday (had to have a neighbor help us out and hold for us). I have not even gotten a shipping notification for the Massachusetts set as yet. So, IMM the delivery state is some sort of factor in the prioritization of the shipments.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    edited February 2022
    I don't know if the state matters...everyone I know in Illinois who ordered them all on the same day had really different delivery schedules. Some got theirs a week ago, some still haven't. All the same state, all the same order day.

Either it's random, or has more to do with the speed of your local post office.

BTW, no one I know got a "shipping" notification...just a delivery notice on the day of arrival.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    I am in GA- I got mine a few days ago-- and some other folks who ordered theirs have already received them
  • DaffyGirl88
    DaffyGirl88 Posts: 4,484 Member
    Hmmm...I live in Maryland and know of no one who has received theirs yet. :/