• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    SModa61 wrote: »

In the graphic of 100 people, I was 5th from last. The only aspect I was curious about is why "young adults" and "children" came earlier than a 59 year old given all the information about the young typically having a much less dangerous response to the virus.

I'm 50, and was 8th from the end, which I suspect is about county vs any difference between 59 and 50.

I can see the explanation for the kids, maybe -- one of the most important things is getting them back to school and preventing spread related to that, even if they themselves are unlikely to get sick (or seriously so). Don't get the young adults all being ahead given the risk factors. Eh, shrug, Gen X just doesn't matter once again! ;-)

Neat idea, but the vaccine does not prevent people from getting and spreading the virus. They just don't get sick from it.... they become asymptomatic carriers, essentially.

I'm not sure that's been proven, i thought it was just being assumed because they can't prove yet the RNA vaccines sterilize the virus. Don't quote me on that though :wink:

Vaccines won't end Covid so keep wearing your mask, top health official says

Coronavirus vaccines will provide some light at the end of the tunnel, but they alone won't mean an end to Covid-19, one leading health official said Friday.
    "I would like to say vaccines do not equal zero Covid," said Dr. Michael Ryan, the executive director of the World Health Organization's Health Emergencies Program. "Vaccines and vaccination will add a major, major, powerful tool to the toolkit that we have. "But by themselves they will not do the job."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/04/health/us-coronavirus-friday/index.html

That seems obvious common sense to me - of course we will still have to take precautions and of course the disease will not just instantly (or maybe ever) go away.

No different to flu vaccine, whooping cough etc - obviously they are still around despite vaccination.

But much much less since we reduce the pool of virus transmisson and those who are vaccinated and still get it, it is much less severe

Is anyone really expecting an instant "smallpox is eradicated from the world" " result ????

That is not at all how the vaccine works, at least with my understanding. Vaccinated people will still transmit the virus just as easily as everyone else.

ETA: Probably more than everyone else, in fact. Assuming the non-vaccinated are more likely to take precautions and the vaccinated believe (incorrectly) that they do not need to take any precautions because they have the vaccine.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I just came across this article and I think that is worthy to share it with all of you.

A few hours of flu-like symptoms? 'Absolutely' worth it for this woman who was in a Covid-19 vaccine trial
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/05/health/covid-vaccine-trial-participant/index.html

Yes, that message is important! It does sound like a reasonable minority will feel legit sick like that for several hours to a day, so this is something else I hope gets communicated. Feeling sick or fatigued for 24 hours afterward won't mean something's wrong. Luckily it sounds like it's the 2nd shot that's causing most of it, so at least hopefully it won't cause people to get the 1st but skip the 2nd!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    SModa61 wrote: »

In the graphic of 100 people, I was 5th from last. The only aspect I was curious about is why "young adults" and "children" came earlier than a 59 year old given all the information about the young typically having a much less dangerous response to the virus.

I'm 50, and was 8th from the end, which I suspect is about county vs any difference between 59 and 50.

I can see the explanation for the kids, maybe -- one of the most important things is getting them back to school and preventing spread related to that, even if they themselves are unlikely to get sick (or seriously so). Don't get the young adults all being ahead given the risk factors. Eh, shrug, Gen X just doesn't matter once again! ;-)

Neat idea, but the vaccine does not prevent people from getting and spreading the virus. They just don't get sick from it.... they become asymptomatic carriers, essentially.

I'm not sure that's been proven, i thought it was just being assumed because they can't prove yet the RNA vaccines sterilize the virus. Don't quote me on that though :wink:

Vaccines won't end Covid so keep wearing your mask, top health official says

Coronavirus vaccines will provide some light at the end of the tunnel, but they alone won't mean an end to Covid-19, one leading health official said Friday.
    "I would like to say vaccines do not equal zero Covid," said Dr. Michael Ryan, the executive director of the World Health Organization's Health Emergencies Program. "Vaccines and vaccination will add a major, major, powerful tool to the toolkit that we have. "But by themselves they will not do the job."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/04/health/us-coronavirus-friday/index.html

That seems obvious common sense to me - of course we will still have to take precautions and of course the disease will not just instantly (or maybe ever) go away.

No different to flu vaccine, whooping cough etc - obviously they are still around despite vaccination.

But much much less since we reduce the pool of virus transmisson and those who are vaccinated and still get it, it is much less severe

Is anyone really expecting an instant "smallpox is eradicated from the world" " result ????

That is not at all how the vaccine works, at least with my understanding. Vaccinated people will still transmit the virus just as easily as everyone else.

ETA: Probably more than everyone else, in fact. Assuming the non-vaccinated are more likely to take precautions and the vaccinated believe (incorrectly) that they do not need to take any precautions because they have the vaccine.

I havent closely studied this vaccine - but it is how most vaccines work.

Vaccinated people do not get the diseases nearly as much as non vaccinated people and the pool of transmission reduces.

basic principle of herd immunity.

@kimny72 gave a very good explanation for the 2 different types of vaccines. I'll acknowledge we don't have all the information on all of the different vaccine candidates for Covid. However, what has been shared tells us that Moderna's for sure is a "protective" vaccine and I thought there was something on one of the others as well that indicated it is a "protective" vaccine (would have to look for it). For the others, nothing has indicated either way. Considering the development timeline, it seems unlikely they would be "sterilizing" vaccines.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    No, we don't know. I quoted the bit about the Moderna vaccine just a page or so ago (it's the same thing that was in the thread earlier), and they don't know if it prevents/reduces transmission yet (from what I've read they think it likely reduces it at least).

Same with Pfizer's: https://www.businessinsider.com/pfizer-chairman-not-clear-people-spread-covid-19-after-vaccine-2020-12. They simply have not studied that yet.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,788 Member
    Options
    So if these are "protective" and not "sterilizing" yet it would mean that we should immunize in family or social groups? So for instance households would be best off all getting the shot at the same time or nursing homes etc.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Small rant on public health messages on Covid. We hear wear masks, distance, wash hands and those with comorbidities are more susceptible to complications from Covid.

Where is the messaging to take positive steps to reduce comorbidities? Lose weight, positive steps for better nutrition, etc.

Humans were programmed with a strong death wish perhaps. Maybe we are just lazy. In my case the lightbulb did not come on until I was rushing towards a misable death at the age of 63 in 2014.

I have family that still think that Type 2 Diabetes is a disease instead of being a side effect of their Eating Lifestyle.

Good for you on finding the switch.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,859 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Small rant on public health messages on Covid. We hear wear masks, distance, wash hands and those with comorbidities are more susceptible to complications from Covid.

Where is the messaging to take positive steps to reduce comorbidities? Lose weight, positive steps for better nutrition, etc.

I have had this same complaint. If there are variables that one has control over, why not make the effort.

On a related note, not sure where I heard it, but likely the evening news. But a gastric by pass doctor reported he was getting deluged with surgery requests. So maybe, some people are thinking the right way.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,859 Member
    Options
    So if these are "protective" and not "sterilizing" yet it would mean that we should immunize in family or social groups? So for instance households would be best off all getting the shot at the same time or nursing homes etc.

I was thinking about this to a degree as well. When I first heard that there could be incomfortable side-effects, I was thinking that hubby and I should stagger our vaccinations in case one needed to care for the other (thought the same for my parents), but if person #1 is shedding the virus after vaccinations, could the delayed person #2 contract full fledged COVID during those weeks?