Options

Replies

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Small rant on public health messages on Covid. We hear wear masks, distance, wash hands and those with comorbidities are more susceptible to complications from Covid.

Where is the messaging to take positive steps to reduce comorbidities? Lose weight, positive steps for better nutrition, etc.

I agree with the above statement, but I would like to remind you that even in the absence of co-morbidities people can and were infected by the virus and ended in a ventilator or even dead.

Some co-morbidities can't be eliminated. Such as diabetes type 1, RA, cancer, heart arrhythmias (like A Fib), COPD (not caused by smoking), asthma, and autoimmune disorders in general. They can only be controlled by medication. I am sure that those suffering from these diseases would like to have a magic way to eliminate them from their daily suffering, even in the absence of COVID.

I also agree that a healthy lifestyle and weight control could be addressed by health authorities and controlled by the population, but I don't think that people would be very receptive to hear about it right now (unless you are part of MFP).

If people are rejecting the request of wearing masks to save lives, including their own, do you think that they would be receptive to the idea of eating healthy and controlling their weight right now? I don't think so. Many people are out of work and reaching for the help given by Food Banks for their next meal, and I don't think that they are very concerned about what kind of food they get or how much of it, as long as they have something to feed their families. Would you????

Agree that there are comorbidities that people can't do anything about.

On the masks, sure people are rejecting the idea, but the message is still being put out there.to wear them, haven't seen messaging to take care of your overall health.

Also true if one is getting food from the food bank or other assistnace there is.less concern about nutrition, jiust getting something to eat. However most aren't in that situation and if one is they can still be consuming and appropriate amount of calories to maintain weight or lose if required for heath.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Small rant on public health messages on Covid. We hear wear masks, distance, wash hands and those with comorbidities are more susceptible to complications from Covid.

Where is the messaging to take positive steps to reduce comorbidities? Lose weight, positive steps for better nutrition, etc.

My answer to that would be because simple messages hit home.

If one tries to have a message about, for example, getting regular pap smears - one doesnt throw in getting regular FOBT's and regular general check ups and vaccinations, and surgery is open x time to do it and the turn around time for results is x and if result is positive or negative, x is next step and other relevant but TLDR and now nobody is getting any message at all.

Simple poster: get a pap smear every 5 years.

Simple poster, "lose weight, reduce your chance of complications from Covid".
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Related to weight. My extended family is like a poster child of comorbidities. So far, I know of one person that has taken some steps (out of like 15 to 20) to lose weight and get in better shape. Most of the rest have packed on more weight during Coronavirus.

I think when you see the pictures of those that have passed, most are elderly or overweight. So unless someone is burying their heads in the sand (which when it comes to weight, many do), they won't listen anyway.

But as a country, we do need to do a much better job in confronting those that are overweight with the reality of their health. In the US, we treat people with kid gloves compared to Europe when it comes to wellness and direct weight counseling from the healthcare community. It's not PC to tell someone here that they really need to lose weight.

I remember years ago when I was at my heaviest and a doc said, "well, you'll likely die from your heart stopping, like most of us". I felt he was kind of being trite and evasive. I was looking for someone to tell me, "yeah buddy, you better lose weight or bad things will happen...". Doctors, at least here in the US, are much more hesitant to have that conversation than in other countries. Likely because they get so much pushback. Also, our entire medical system, with it being a paid model with very little wellness care, is severely broken. We concentrate on acute care and emergencies only.

JW, where are you seeing photos of people who died of covid?
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Related to weight. My extended family is like a poster child of comorbidities. So far, I know of one person that has taken some steps (out of like 15 to 20) to lose weight and get in better shape. Most of the rest have packed on more weight during Coronavirus.

I think when you see the pictures of those that have passed, most are elderly or overweight. So unless someone is burying their heads in the sand (which when it comes to weight, many do), they won't listen anyway.

But as a country, we do need to do a much better job in confronting those that are overweight with the reality of their health. In the US, we treat people with kid gloves compared to Europe when it comes to wellness and direct weight counseling from the healthcare community. It's not PC to tell someone here that they really need to lose weight.

I remember years ago when I was at my heaviest and a doc said, "well, you'll likely die from your heart stopping, like most of us". I felt he was kind of being trite and evasive. I was looking for someone to tell me, "yeah buddy, you better lose weight or bad things will happen...". Doctors, at least here in the US, are much more hesitant to have that conversation than in other countries. Likely because they get so much pushback. Also, our entire medical system, with it being a paid model with very little wellness care, is severely broken. We concentrate on acute care and emergencies only.

JW, where are you seeing photos of people who died of covid?

I see news stories all the time profiling people who have passed. They almost always have photos.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen photos of people who have passed, but the news regularly has a story about people who have survived after being very sick with Covid & hospitalized & ventilator for weeks, etc. and a lot of them have had obesity issues.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    One has to be careful about under eating in this Pandemic. Covid-19 mames and kills through inflammation. Foods that causes causes one's CRP levels to rise can vary person to person. Just swapping out highly inflammatory foods for less inflammatory foods can be helpful even if calorie count doesn't drop.