Atkins Support Group

Options

Replies

• HeartLunger
    Options
    Official weigh in today showed a 1lb loss. I believe my sodium intake was too high as I don't understand how I could lose 16lbs in the previous two weeks (and I had several adult libations over Labor Day weekend) and only lose 1lb this week. :(. I believe I stayed under 30 net carbs each day, and I have ran 4 days this week. Anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

On a bright side, I received three compliments yesterday! One was from my buddy, and it's part of man law that you don't compliment another dude on their weight loss. Lol. Anyhow, that told me that it must be noticiable.

Looks like another person waiting on a visit from the whoosh fairy. :laugh:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html
    Just what I was thinking!

OP, be sure you're measuring yourself every few weeks; waist, hips, thigh circumference, etc. You'll find that you will lose inches when you aren't losing pounds and then suddenly you'll drop a few pounds, which means you had a visit from "The Whoosh Fairy."

Thanks, all! I guess I need to measure and be patient! :)
  • HeartLunger
    Options
    SO, after dealing with my 9 year old sons homework for 2 1/2 weeks now, I'd like to take a poll. What is an acceptable amount of homework for a 9 year old 4th grader? My son has been averaging 1 1/2 to two hours of homework. A night. I find this a little excessive.

Our school put a new building wide policy in this year because homework was taking away from family time and the parents complained. New policy is 15 minutes of reading and 5 minutes of math homework. This is for an elementary school, however, my wife and I don't believe that is enough work on the math so it's about 15 minutes reading (my 2nd graders strong subject), at least 15 minutes of math (not as strong), and 10-15 minutes of spelling, or however long it takes him to write 15 spelling words out 10 times each.
  • cbelli
    Options
    Ok, question for the women in the group (sorry guys, might be a little TMI for you). Have any of you had an issue with your TOM after being on Atkins? I have been on Atkins for a little over a month now (Started August 9, have lost 16lbs so far) and am on my second TOM since I started the diet. This month though, things were VERY weird. I had a lot of weird pregnancy symptoms, including but not limited to night leg cramps, acne, runny nose, light spotting w/ cramps, etc. It had me so worried that I have taken 3 pregnancy tests...all negative of course, and gone to my doctor (still waiting on the blood results). I was talking to my sister early today and asking her if I'm not pregnant then what could possibly be going on. She thought being in ketosis for a month straight could have something to do with it. Anyone else have similar symptoms when your body was adjusting to ketosis? If you did have the symptoms, how long did it take for your body to straighten out? I am LOVING the diet. It's working...which is more than I can say for any other diet I have been on, so I don't want to stop the diet even if it is the cause of the symptoms. Any advice? Thanks ya'll!
  • Jenna70
    Jenna70 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I am having a similar issue right now... I've been on Atkins since the 1st week of August... had my TOM Aug 28th - Sept 3rd and then got it again a week later - this past Tuesday and I still have it, in fact it got heavy. I called my doctor's office yesterday and they didn't think it was worrisome except the slim possibility I could be pregnant (which I doubt). They said to check back with them if it happens again... could be an issue with the pill. I've never heard of Ketosis causing an issue like this... I just hope it doesn't keep happening, it is NOT a good time!
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Ya know, I have had a really weird cycle this month too. I am on the pill, but this month, I started 5 days early...meaning 10 days of fun!!! (rolls eyes) It has to be because of the change in eating...however I am not registering being in ketosis, so I dont know if that has anything to do with it or not.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Ya know, I have had a really weird cycle this month too. I am on the pill, but this month, I started 5 days early...meaning 10 days of fun!!! (rolls eyes) It has to be because of the change in eating...however I am not registering being in ketosis, so I dont know if that has anything to do with it or not.

If you are drinking a **** ton of water then ketosis is not always registered................Hormones can seem to knock you out of ketosis too.

How much fat are you eating???
  • louisee294
    louisee294 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    wow, really funny that you should mention this,but I was going to post this earlier then chickened out. I've been doing atkins for about 5-6 weeks now and I have had a very strange period. Im on the pill, took my last one on Wednesday morning, then Thursday afternoon started a little bit, then stopped, now I think its started properly today. Very weird as It always usually takes 3-4 days to arrive, not the first non-pill day. also i've had cold symptoms all week. hmmm... glad its not just me.
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options

If you are drinking a **** ton of water then ketosis is not always registered................Hormones can seem to knock you out of ketosis too.

How much fat are you eating???

I am getting about 80-100 g of fat per day, based on 1200-1450 calories per day... my food diary is open. Does this seem pretty reasonable?

So basically my cycle could be knocking me out of ketosis?

And drinking lots of water will cause a negative reading? When should I be testing? I did mine yesterday after work and today first thing in the morning...not sure what is best

thanks!!!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I've spent solid months on induction without symptoms like you're seeing, including March to May of this year.

Getting my period always knocks me out of ketosis; I'm pretty sure it's a hormonal thing.
  • cbelli
    Options
    I'm so glad to see I'm not the only one experiencing this. I have used the NuvaRing for 2 1/2 years and never had a problem with my cycle. I'm very regular and don't have a lot of hormone issues. I've never had acne or any of the other symptoms I was describing, so I was very concerned. (I actually spotted for 2weeks prior to finally starting yesterday.) I definitely think it is a hormone issue, but wasn't sure if the diet was the cause of my hormones deciding to go awry this month. Thanks for posting responses!
  • HeartLunger
    Options
    ... I received three compliments yesterday! One was from my buddy, and it's part of man law that you don't compliment another dude on their weight loss. Lol. Anyhow, that told me that it must be noticiable.

WTH! I got another compliment from another buddy today at our kid's football game. Now, mind you, my friends aren't metrosexuals - we're from small town Ohio, we hunt, shoot bows and guns, watch sports and eat pork rinds (me, more than them). I think I may need to reevaluate my friends as I can't have friends who are violating man law. ;)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    ... I received three compliments yesterday! One was from my buddy, and it's part of man law that you don't compliment another dude on their weight loss. Lol. Anyhow, that told me that it must be noticiable.

WTH! I got another compliment from another buddy today at our kid's football game. Now, mind you, my friends aren't metrosexuals - we're from small town Ohio, we hunt, shoot bows and guns, watch sports and eat pork rinds (me, more than them). I think I may need to reevaluate my friends as I can't have friends who are violating man law. ;)
    That's funny! I'd have to agree that if your male friends are starting to notice then you must be doing something right. Be careful or the next thing you know they'll be asking you for advice which if your friends are anything like my husband's, is also against the "rules."
  • HeartLunger
    Options

That's funny! I'd have to agree that if your male friends are starting to notice then you must be doing something right. Be careful or the next thing you know they'll be asking you for advice which if your friends are anything like my husband's, is also against the "rules."

Yeah, the only advise they should be asking me for is Budweiser vs. Bud Light!
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    On the TOM issue- women store excess estrogen in their fat so when you have rapid fat loss, it releases that excess estrogen into the blood stream and can cause irregularity in your menstrual cycle, for heavy women who have issues with no cycle or rare cycles it can cause you to have one more regularly. It will balance out after time.
  • dragondreamer
    Options
    Hello, All! My name is Anne and I am a carb junkie!! This is also my first post on MFP Forums even though I've used the site for a while, so let me also sy, "Hello!" :flowerforyou:

I start Atkins tomorrow. I bought the book yesterday and I have read it all the way through and I'm ready.

I did an anti-inflammatory diet the beginning of the year and determined I had a wheat allergy (but not Celiac disease). I lost 20 lbs in my first few months because I was stumped at how to eat pasta & breads without wheat... then I found the other options... and in the past 4ish months I was holding steady at my 20lb loss (and totally aggravated) but in the last month I have gained 5 of it back.... binge eating my favorite carby comfort foods with no regards to my wheat allergy at all.

because I felt GREAT not eating all the heavy bread/pasta type carbs, and eating mostly veggies and free-range meats on eth AI diet, I know Atkins can work for me!!! Backing off the heavy pastas & breads, etc can onlt help my allergy and dropping all the other wheat free carb options can only help my size 18 waist!

The other problem I have is that I have digestive issues with meats. Doesn't matter what kind, or how it's cooked, I have a lot of cramping and constipation (I'm sorry for the TMI) if I eat more than a very small amount... I'd say more than an ounce? I do take psyllium but I also have to take a natural simple digestive formula which contains enzymes from papaya and pineapple. It doens;t have carb info on the bottle :grumble: So I am willing to try to stop it for Induction, but will have to start it again if I have issues. I'll know within the first few days if I eat too much meat.

So that is my story in a LONG nutshell :laugh:

Any suggestions?
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    So me and Jillian Michaels are having a huge fight right now lol. I'm on a quest to be able to finish a whole 30DS workout session. This morning I weighed in at 157.6. I really want to get to 155 by the end of the month. Originally my goal was 150, but I don't think I'm going to get there. I'm fine with that.

Side note: I took my daughter to Dave & Buster's on Saturday while DH painted my living room. She totally thought we were at Pizza Planet from the Toy Story movie lol. Then at the last game we played, she scored the jackpot of 1000 tickets. It was so much fun!
  • AlyRoseNYC
    Options
    Another quick note....I'm going to attempt a Strawberry cheesecake protein smoothie recipe tonight. This is what I was thinking:

1 scoop Dymatize ISO 100 protein powder (vanilla flavor, 0g carbs)
    1 tablespoon cream cheese (will add more little by little as needed for flavor)
    3 strawberries
    1 cup unsweetened almond milk
    1/2 teaspon pure vanilla extract
    Truvia to taste
    4 ice cubes
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Hello, All! My name is Anne and I am a carb junkie!! This is also my first post on MFP Forums even though I've used the site for a while, so let me also sy, "Hello!" :flowerforyou:

I start Atkins tomorrow. I bought the book yesterday and I have read it all the way through and I'm ready.

I did an anti-inflammatory diet the beginning of the year and determined I had a wheat allergy (but not Celiac disease). I lost 20 lbs in my first few months because I was stumped at how to eat pasta & breads without wheat... then I found the other options... and in the past 4ish months I was holding steady at my 20lb loss (and totally aggravated) but in the last month I have gained 5 of it back.... binge eating my favorite carby comfort foods with no regards to my wheat allergy at all.

because I felt GREAT not eating all the heavy bread/pasta type carbs, and eating mostly veggies and free-range meats on eth AI diet, I know Atkins can work for me!!! Backing off the heavy pastas & breads, etc can onlt help my allergy and dropping all the other wheat free carb options can only help my size 18 waist!

The other problem I have is that I have digestive issues with meats. Doesn't matter what kind, or how it's cooked, I have a lot of cramping and constipation (I'm sorry for the TMI) if I eat more than a very small amount... I'd say more than an ounce? I do take psyllium but I also have to take a natural simple digestive formula which contains enzymes from papaya and pineapple. It doens;t have carb info on the bottle :grumble: So I am willing to try to stop it for Induction, but will have to start it again if I have issues. I'll know within the first few days if I eat too much meat.

So that is my story in a LONG nutshell :laugh:

Any suggestions?

Check the atkins.com website. It's entirely possible to do atkins as a complete vegetarian, so you shouldn't have a problem limiting your meats due to your GI problems :) Is it ALL meat? Can you eat fish and seafood?
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Another quick note....I'm going to attempt a Strawberry cheesecake protein smoothie recipe tonight. This is what I was thinking:

3 strawberries
    Truvia to taste
    4 ice cubes

Maybe a splash of heavy cream? Sounds yummy, let us know how it works :)
  • AlyRoseNYC
    Options

3 strawberries
    Truvia to taste
    4 ice cubes

Maybe a splash of heavy cream? Sounds yummy, let us know how it works :)

Yeah I was thinking of adding heavy cream, just for fun! lol