WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2022

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,831 Member
    Phverica1 wrote: »
    Hi all I am Pam, I am 51 and new to MFP. Looking to connect with people who understand the challenges of being a 50+ woman trying to lose weight. I’ve gained 30 lbs over the last 8-10 years and really want to get some of it off and be comfortable in my skin again!

Hi ... tell us a little about yourself. :)
  • Machka9
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) I keep my phone on the nightstand next to my bed overnight for several reasons. I use it as a light to find my way to the bathroom, read my kindle book if I can't sleep and for a few minutes after taking the dogs out for their middle of the night walk, and as my alarm to wake me up. I keep it on silent so I won't be bothered by notifications.

I also keep my phone on the nightstand next to my bed overnight. I started doing that when my husband was in hospital, in case they needed to call me in the middle of the night. But it's my alarm in the morning now. So much more convenient than those old radio alarm clocks! On the rare occasions I wake up in the middle of the night, I use it to read a bit.

We have a battery-powered motion detecting light in the bathroom. Cost me $5 and uses rechargeable batteries. It's great!

M in Oz
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,034 Member
    I did my dumbbells! Yay!

And I rode Henry today. Yay! I'm lucky to ride in an indoor arena so a gentle rain isn't a problem. My seat is still wobbly. I wonder if the lunges in my yoga will help my seat. My knee was okay for riding. It is just a little weak, so I have to be careful not to injure it.

Horn worms as pets? My preference is a pet that is warm and fluffy and affectionate. Even if they do barf on the floor once in awhile. I'm looking at you, Teddy boo!

Annie in Delaware
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,730 Member
    Read and caught up. Trying not to type too much to give my arm a break.

Finished my daughters gift at ceramics tonight. I’ll have to log in on a computer to get it uploaded. I still can’t post a pic from my iPhone. I wish they would fix that.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Add me to the list of those who keep their phone on the nightstand beside my bed.
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,936 Member
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    91 at 5:30PM here right now.

ok- the oddest thing popped up on Facebook- ok, odd to me. It was an ad for Petco(pet store)
    they actually sell Horn worms(tomato worms to me)! $11 for four of them. They are the reason my mother in law will not plant tomatoes, because she might end up one on her plants. I may have to see if they want them if I end up with any in my garden this summer

Debbie

I wonder why a pet store sells those? We have issues with them too. It's a battle at our house with the Mister and his tomato plants. One year it was similar to Bill Murray's character and the gopher in Caddyshack. I found it entertaining.

Tina in CA

Food for lizards is what I read
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,814 Member
    <3
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,483 Member
    Accountability:
    Chose well: Joe, readings, BP, dogs to powerline, steps >7400, CI<CO, CI<250<CO.
    Bonus: chiro, stroll before and after lunch w/T, recycling, bottle drop, Grocery Outlet, Freddie’s, 1 load laundry. Just one thing: back to bupkes
    Workin’ on it: 143.1, H20x5, active 3:54
    Active April
    7: Get natural light early in the day. Dim the lights in the evening (and walk away from the screen).
    8: Give your body a boost by laughing or making someone laugh.

Had the best day! Chiro said knee x-rays looked better than hers, no bone on bone. Will reassess after MRI and develop quad strengthening exercise regime. Was early to meet T for lunch so took a little stroll on the boardwalk where I ran into the dog trainer who got Tumble through Canine Good Citizen and the original T’ai Chi teacher. Huge hugs held extra long all around. Lots of smiles and laughter. Delicious Thai lunch with T, where we ran into T’ai Chi couple, more hugs, more smiles, more laughter, then lovely stroll in Azalea Park. Finished up with finding several things I needed at Grocery Outlet at 1/3 the price of Freddie’s. Joe fed the dogs while I crashed. Knee achy but so worth it.

Thanks to all for the prayers for our nephew.
    Heather ((hugs)) for Johnny. Hope he dressed warmly and comes home to hot stew soon!
    Annie ((hugs))
    Allie sure hope Myles doesn’t get it. Relish your rest, you’ve earned it. Glad Carmine is quarantining due being exposed to her dad’s Covid.
    Lisa Kindle, hah!
    Betsy ((hugs held extra extra long))
    Machka :Love: that view! And your beautiful colorings.
    Beth Matzoh Roca is like Debbie’s Christmas Crack: butter, brown sugar, chocolate and nuts on Matzoh. This chef calls in “Matzoh Crack” and uses pecans but I first tasted it as Matzoh Roca, a name I like better, with toasted almonds. https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/chocolate-toffee-matzo-crack.html
    Tina I recently bought a turntable from Amazon that has the ability to play cassettes and CDs. Intended to digitize some favorite vinyl but haven’t gotten a “round tuit” yet. So sorry your mister hurt you. ((hugs))
    Rita bone spur in sinuses? :noway: Oh no!
    Vicki that is some wind. Snuggle in and sleep to your heart’s content.
    Katla I am so with you about the Voltaren, it has been a real help with my knee, and even helps the hands. ;)
    Debbie safe travels and best wishes for a successful outing with your DH. Hornworms… YUCK!
    Michele I think you’re right about Covid being with us always like the cold and flu. I’ll continue to mask in grocery stores, and get most of my socializing out of doors.
    Welcome @Phverica1 Pam! This is a great group for support, wisdom, friendship.
    Barbie hooray for warm sunny yardwork days… and naps!

Indoor hobbies, hmm, mfp? :laugh:

iPhone overnights on charger in bathroom, on silent for same reason as Barbie.

Have two emergency, battery-operated lights, one in the man cave and one by my side of the bed. When power goes out, they light up.

Lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    2022: Be still and listen.
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,329 Member
    Katia-I find the monitoring blood sugar with external devices to be fascinating. I don’t have blood sugar issues, but my husband had diabetes. He hated the constant poking.

Allie-sorry to hear about SIL and Covid. Please keep checking yourself-you spend a lot of time with the family.

Heather-two deaths the same day is strange, but things do happen that way. It is good aunt was spared that pain.

Machka-interesting dream.

Annie-it is hard for couples to see one of them deteriorate. While we were not as old as your parents, in his 50’s my husband became much older than me-even though I was only one year younger. Everyone thought he was much older. When he died at 61 he looked and moved much more like someone in their 70’s (and not an active person if you know what I mean).

Barbara Southern Oregon-great news on the knees. I’m happy my knees seem to be decent (hips both were full of arthritis and my feet have their fair share).

Booster shot-I plan on getting booster #2 next month. I had #1 in November and I think I read you should have 6 months between them.

Planning on leaving work at lunch today (have some overtime from last week I can flex). Want to pick up a couple of jackets for grandkids coming in from Arizona next week. It will be very chilly here compared to what they are used to. Will also look for shoes that new orthotics will fit in (can't get insole out of all of mine).

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,684 Member
    Morning ladies
    Alfie woke me up to eat and now is snuggled back under the covers lol
    Yes I am extra careful. Im more worried about Tracy than anyone else..especially because she is without insurance right now.
    Chalk me up to another one who keeps the phone on the bedside table... i have a flat charger so it charges overnight and is there if I need it..,

• LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,366 Member
    edited April 2022
    Heather - I had to go back and find your post where you said your DH's aunt and cousin died. I just totally missed that one. Please pass on our condolences to him. Did you know her well?

Ginny - Speaking of orthotics, I just ordered a pair of house shoes, basically a Crocs knock-off, so I can wear them around the house all day instead of just the socks that I'm wearing now. I think my right foot's arch is beginning to flatten and that's what is throwing off my knee. That's the one they replaced a few years back, and really don't want them to have to go back in and fix it.

Machka -
    Love the colors you've chosen for all of your flowers and think it's absolutely beautiful.

Regarding the cellphone on the nightstand, both Corey and I leave ours as far away from the bedroom as possible. Phone calls in the middle of the night give me palpitations. Corey has a little battery clock alarm on his side of the bed, and I wear my Fitbit 24-7 if I want to know what time it is.

Still no prescription sent to the VA pharmacy, and don't want to go on yet another diatribe, so I'll just leave it that I will be making phone calls when they all get to work. I'm so dang tired of having to fight to get them to do their jobs.

It's not a diatribe if you're not cussing. :smiley:

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,194 Member
    edited April 2022
    Barbara - Soooo happy that you had a jolly day with your friends. Does the heart and spirits good. <3

DH was fairly close to his aunt. She was a very characterful woman, with great quiet determination and a kind nature. I liked and admired her. She bravely turned up to all family occasions. She never lost her marbles.
    Her elder deceased son had lived in Canada for many years and she was still travelling to see him at 90. I met him a couple of times. I did not like him. The brother, her younger son, is a 'friend ' of ours, a very nice man, who has been taking responsibility for his mother for years. He will feel her loss, I know. So will DSIL. She visited often. I texted my love to her yesterday. She was grateful.
    I bought a card to send to the younger son today. I don't think DH will go to the funeral. Maybe he will change his mind. He said he was going to email, but I don't know if he has done so.
    DH seems to care less and less about keeping in touch and the social niceties. I feel he is getting 'old'. His empathy does not stretch as far as it used to. He is 76. Physically fit, and still compos mentis, but drawing in on himself. His field of interest is shrinking.

I researched yet another lover this morning. Cards, letters, photos. I kept copies of my letters. It made me feel very sad at how badly I behaved. A few tears. Then I rang my friend G.

Love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,520 Member
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,034 Member
    Well, my mom went off to do the blood work for dementia. My dad took her. I hope it goes smoothly without me. She will be late, because she won't believe that she can't get dressed in fifteen minutes anymore. The worst thing about being late is that Dad will drive too fast to get there. I did what I could, but nagging only makes her more stubborn.

Thanks for your sympathies, it helps me feel less alone in this daily struggle.

Annie in Delaware
  • Machka9
    Friday --

Today was a beautiful day and we picked up a number of garden things. One of the places we stopped was a beekeeping supply shop where we got beekeeping jackets and I got some honey - manuka and wildflower.

Manuka honey is quite strong - really good but has a very strong flavour.
    The wildflower honey is very mild and smooth.

The last time we were there, I got creamed leatherwood which is still my favourite. :)

And the last time we saw our son and daughter-in-law, she gave us a jar of her honey (she has a hive too) and it is blue gum - a flowery flavour.

There was a time when I thought honey came in one flavour. :open_mouth:

I'm watching Chocolat this evening. :)

Machka in Oz
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,828 Member
    Machka- Chocolat is one of my very favorite movies. I don't own many; but I do own that one. Have you seen 100 Foot Journey? If you like Chocolat; you will like 100 Foot Journey. I love movies with food in them. I find cooking very romantic.