WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2022

Options

Replies

• okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Welcome Renee!

We are a chatty group. Jump in when something interests you.

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,825 Member
    Options
    B)
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    B)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Hi Renée,
    Nice to see you here. What an amazing achievement to lose so much. :)
    Hope you will drop in often and get to know us.
    I am trying to lose a few pounds that crept back as well.

Best wishes, Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Hi Renée!

I live near Richmond, and there are a couple of other Virginians on this thread.

Welcome!

Karen in Virginia
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,105 Member
    Options
    ☘️
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,345 Member
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Anne DE – ever since I fractured the bone in my right foot back in December (or was it November?) the doctor told me to avoid lunges and I have.

Liver and onion Peeps????????? Gag!!!

Debbie – that pineapple angel food cake is very very good. Not sure how it will come out in a bunny pan. I always use an angel food pan. I make it all the time. I love to make my hard boiled eggs in my instant pot. Even fresh eggs are so easy to peel

Rebecca – so proud of the person you are now.

Sunday here: Happy Easter to all who celebrate and happy Passover to all who celebrate.

Did On On One Training with Jackie DVD, then went to church, home, got dinner ready, then we put out the ceramics. I tell you, it’s getting to be an all day affair….lol Could be worse, that’s for sure. Now in to have dinner

barbie - I know that Jess’ bf likes things hot. He’s not Latin.

Debbie – I’ve found that if I make my hard boiled eggs in my Instant Pot, they peel so nicely, even if they are fresh. I’ve read that if you add them to COLD water, they peel nicely. I tried that down at the condo and it worked! No more moon craters! I never thought of “flamin hot” referring to cinnamon. I suppose it’s possible. I always think of “flamin hot” referring to chili powder or red pepper flakes, that sort of thing.

M – they ARE cinnamon!!!! I would definitely have had some. I honestly thought it was a chili-type thing See, to me, Peeps are more of a kid thing, and most children don’t drink coffee.

We have two wasp & hornet traps by our pool and I use apple juice as the attractant. It attracts EVERYTHING

I asked Vince last week if he wanted anything special for Easter and he said “no” so I didn’t make an Easter dinner. Bet I will have to when Jess moves to NC

Today was absolutely gorgeous. Tomorrow it’s supposed to be in the 50’s. Honestly, how does Mother Nature expect me to wash my windows and wash and wax my car when she pulls things like this?????

Renee – welcome! You’ll find this to be a wonderful thread. How did you lose all that weight? Just logging? Congrats!

This week starts my working on Saturdays. I must admit, I'm not really looking forward to it. Yes, I know we're only talking 3-3 1/2 hours/day. But sometimes I'd just like a day off. Oh well, hopefully, they'll have someone who can work a few days but in the meantime I'll help them out.

Michele NC
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Happy Easter!

Rebecca ... my doctor suggested ACV for inflammation. I've been reluctant to drink it as the enamel on my teeth isn't that great to begin with ... but a straw makes sense. I've been looking into the capsules as well.

Lisa ... that is the ugliest Easter Bunny I have ever seen ... just sayin'. And I loved the King and I. Loved all the old musicals actually when I was a kid.

Spent the morning in church today. 8:00 was a traditional service with the old hymns. from 9-10:00 they had a special coffee hour with small breakfast sandwiches, yogurt parfaits, fruit and baked goods. Then at 10 we had an Easter Cantata performed by our choir. A long morning, but we enjoyed it. It will just be me and my guys for Easter dinner tonight. I could have forgone the traditional dinner as I'm not a fan ... but we'll be having ham, scalloped potatoes, brussel sprouts, deviled eggs, and carrot cake for dessert. Not like we need dessert ... we've been eating chocolate since early this morning. I will have all of us on a healthier eating plan beginning tomorrow (and the chocolate will be moved out of sight)!

Beth near Buffalo ... where we had 2 inches of heavy wet snow this morning and where the sun is now shining and the snow is gone

I drink 1 TBSP in an 8 oz glass with with whatever sparkling water I have. The grapefruit sparkling ICE brand is excellent! It really masks the taste, and its so bright and refreshing. Today I just downed it, and rinsed my mouth out with water right away. I notice I'm processing my food better!
    Rebecca
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Anne DE – ever since I fractured the bone in my right foot back in December (or was it November?) the doctor told me to avoid lunges and I have.

Debbie – that pineapple angel food cake is very very good. Not sure how it will come out in a bunny pan. I always use an angel food pan. I make it all the time. I love to make my hard boiled eggs in my instant pot. Even fresh eggs are so easy to peel

Sunday here: Happy Easter to all who celebrate and happy Passover to all who celebrate.

Did On On One Training with Jackie DVD, then went to church, home, got dinner ready, then we put out the ceramics. I tell you, it’s getting to be an all day affair….lol Could be worse, that’s for sure. Now in to have dinner

Debbie – I’ve found that if I make my hard boiled eggs in my Instant Pot, they peel so nicely, even if they are fresh. I’ve read that if you add them to COLD water, they peel nicely. I tried that down at the condo and it worked! No more moon craters! I never thought of “flamin hot” referring to cinnamon. I suppose it’s possible. I always think of “flamin hot” referring to chili powder or red pepper flakes, that sort of thing.

M – they ARE cinnamon!!!! I would definitely have had some. I honestly thought it was a chili-type thing See, to me, Peeps are more of a kid thing, and most children don’t drink coffee.

We have two wasp & hornet traps by our pool and I use apple juice as the attractant. It attracts EVERYTHING

I asked Vince last week if he wanted anything special for Easter and he said “no” so I didn’t make an Easter dinner. Bet I will have to when Jess moves to NC

Today was absolutely gorgeous. Tomorrow it’s supposed to be in the 50’s. Honestly, how does Mother Nature expect me to wash my windows and wash and wax my car when she pulls things like this?????

Renee – welcome! You’ll find this to be a wonderful thread. How did you lose all that weight? Just logging? Congrats!

Michele NC

Me too!💖👍 hugs!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,920 Member
    Options
    rsnsza wrote: »
    Yep, it was just consistency. Tracked my food every day, and just strung together lots of good decisions.

I added fitness when I got around 210 pounds, but it was all diet prior to that.

Just good old fashioned diet and exercise! I basically took it one meal at a time, always pre-tracked. It all adds up! 😀

:) Welcome; You have a lot you can add to our friendly community. I hope you come back often (daily?)

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,880 Member
    Options
    Quiet day for us today - we did go out to Chinese last night. I think this was the fifth Chinese place we've tried since we moved here. The fried rice was bright yellow and smelled weirdly smoky--kind of like licking a charcoal briquette. Nasty. I got the Kung Pao chicken, which was over the top spicy, had my lips burning and my sinuses on fire, but tasted reasonably good until my palate burned out. The egg rolls and dumplings were good, but nothing to write home about. Eventually, I guess, I'm going to have to teach myself Chinese cooking. Corey cooks one Chinese dish, which he makes with ground beef, and I'm pretty sure that's a sin in some religion.

I don't like Australian Chinese food. We've tried several places but the chicken is always very rubbery and seems slightly underdone. And the veggies are soggy and all taste the same. I've never come away from a place thinking, "that was a great meal!"

So we go for Indian food instead. It's very good here.

Speaking of water, I think I mentioned I gained seven pounds in seven days week before last? Well, I'm ten pounds lighter this week. I'm not unhappy about that, and I know within reason it's largely water, but it's frustrating because there seems to be no rhyme or reason. I had a full hysterectomy 20 years ago, so it's not hormonal. My diet and my exercise have stayed largely the same. Haven't changed my medications.

Water can be retained for a number of reasons including:
    - hormones
    - heat (hot weather, hot room, hot buses)
    - sunburn
    - more salty food than usual or less salt than usual. There's a happy medium.
    - more liquid consumption (i.e. water) than usual
    - more exercise than usual
    - too much standing in one place
    - too much sitting
    - travel (possibly related to too much sitting)
    - airplane travel (sitting + altitude)
    - certain medications
    - vein issues
    - other medical issues

So I've been struggling with water retention this summer because it has actually been a rare warmish summer and I've been outside more than usual. I also got one sunburn this summer. So as the days warm up, my left leg and ankle swell up ... some days to the point where I was hobbling ... and my weight went up. Then there would be a couple days of cool weather and all of a sudden I was making tracks to the toilet and my weight would drop.

I'm not sure what my weight is now it's been bouncing all over the place for several months!!

Machka in Oz
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options

<3
    Betsy in NW WA
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,825 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    <3
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,949 Member
    edited April 2022
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    I have a great (and pretty simple) Chinese cook book I have had for over 40 yrs- well used!!! Making it at home has made me not care for most take out.
    I can share a few recipes if you are interested.

Debbie - if you don't mind sharing the title, too, that would be great! I might be able to find it on one of the used book sites.

I'm going to see if I can find a wok that's about the right size for us. Had an electric one a decade ago, and it only got hot on the very bottom. Not a good thing, in the end. Need a spider, too - they're pretty easy to find.

Been to Walmart, came back, and nap time is calling me...

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa

The name is Selected Chinese Recipes by Leon Huang Fortune Publishing Co Hong Kong.
    It is a small cook book- yellow cover
    I tried searching on Ebay for it one time to send to former hubby- he liked the things I made from it- but didn't have any luck. Maybe you will.

I can post some of my favorite recipes tomorrow if you like and also post a trick I learned from the Chinese cooks for super tender broccoli beef(or pork or chicken)
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,949 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »

This week starts my working on Saturdays. I must admit, I'm not really looking forward to it. Yes, I know we're only talking 3-3 1/2 hours/day. But sometimes I'd just like a day off. Oh well, hopefully, they'll have someone who can work a few days but in the meantime I'll help them out.

Michele NC

cake turned out really good- i have had a couple small pieces- that is ok- only ate a small lunch and skipped breakfast and dinner. (Asthma is kicking up again- third time today so just not feeling like eating)

I cook my eggs in the pressure cooker too- 5 min works great.

Found out that my daycare mom tested positive but everyone else in the house there are negative, including her daughter so she is quarantined alone and grandma and auntie and step grandpa are taking care of Ezie. She will stay with grandma tomorrow- that means I get the day off. They are trading days off so i will have her T-F(usually don't have her TH.)
    I will enjoy the day off then have zumba tomorrow night. No class this past week and I missed it.
    Also gained 1/4lb during the past two weeks. Will work on getting the scale moving in the right direction. Only two more weeks of class two nights a week, then moving to a new location and only once a week.. Guess that is better than nothing. Need to start walking again.

Heading for bed- Dh is already asleep- his alarm will be going off in 1 1/2 hrs- hope to be asleep before that, or I will be awake until he leaves at 1AM