April 2022 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,944 Member
    Congratulations on meeting your goal @Mari33a .

Thanks @Teresa502 I'm really glad your back is better today. I'm glad Sharon is getting along so well. I guess I didn't realize her injuries were so extensive. It's amazing that she's walking that far everyday.
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,052 Member
    shanaber wrote: »
    It definitely feels easier here too when there is less humidity and we don't get anywhere near what you get. I just don't like it when it is super dry (under 10%) either but I guess I am really being picky!

<than 10% is a whole other beast. Last summer we went to Wyoming and SD and it was super dry. One day in Billings we went by a coffee shop and the barista said something about how humid is was and how she couldn't wait for this humidity to blow over. It was 35%! My husband and I thought it felt AMAZING but it was just killing folks up there.
    @martaindale Do you have a 10K you are going to run soon?

I signed up for one to wrap up this training cycle. May 22. I fear I will regret this decision. It will likely be brutal racing conditions, especially for a short distance race. 5k/10k racing is just painful in a different way as the paces are faster and you are really pushing cardiovascular reserve more than endurance. It is hard to run long in heat but it is even harder (at least for me) to run fast in heat. Theoretically it would have been nice to see some payoff for this training cycle but I think I will be lucky to break 1hr. Right now I am praying for rain. Not hard rain, just a steady rain with some cloud cover. Cool is too much to ask for, but rain is possible! You have to be realistic when praying to the weather gods!!
    I don't pay any attention to my cadence. Maybe I should, but I don't.
    For me watching cadence came as I was trying to correct overstriding. I was heel striking because I was reaching out in front of myself instead of pushing off. I started working to shift my foot strike to a midfoot placement. Though some people naturally heel strike with their leg more or less under them, most people do it because they are reaching their foot out in front. When that heel hits first, especially if your leg is straight, it basically acts like a little brake, slowing your momentum. It also magnifies the force your leg feels as you hit the ground. That force is hard on your hip, quads, knees, ankles, setting you up for injuries. By shifting to a midfoot strike you keep the knees softer, lessening the force of each foot strike. You then focus on pushing off to propel yourself forward, which activates your glutes and hamstring more, providing some balance to your quads. The cadence comes in because it is harder to keep up a quick cadence with a forward reach. Focusing on short quick steps helps to correct overstriding and as a bonus running literature supports that a high cadence is more efficient as a given pace than a long stride. Lower energy expenditure makes running easier. Win, win!
  • martaindale
    April totals: 95.2/100 miles

4/1: 3.2 miles
    4/2: 6.5 miles
    4/3: 3.2 miles
    4/5: 4.1 miles
    4/6: 4.3 miles
    4/8: 3.1 miles
    4/9: 7 miles
    4/10: 3.1 miles
    4/12: 5.1 miles
    4/13: 4.7 miles
    4/15: 5 miles
    4/17: 8 miles
    4/18: 3 miles
    4/19: 3.1 miles
    4/20: 5.1 miles
    4/21: 3.1 miles
    4/23: 4.1 miles
    4/25: 3 miles
    4/26: 4.8 miles
    4/28: 5.7 miles
    4/29: 6 miles

Ran my neighborhood trail today and saw my trail dog friend, Hank, and his dad. I crossed the road to explore the trail along this creek going the opposite direction but it's a no go. There is barely visible trail for a couple tenths and then it becomes more like running over grass. Before the half mile mark it became thigh high weeds with no trail, aka snake heaven. Too bad as it would have been nice. I can try the other side of the creek, but I doubt I will any time soon. That side is in full sun pretty fast and I largely choose my summer routes based on shade.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Wait, humidity can go ober 10%? 🤣🤣🤣 I came from the midwest but have been here so long I forget how that ues 35% is a lot for me but it's nothing for everyone else

Crowd source! I have lists of ideas but I want to know what, as runners at various levels, would want to read/hear/see on blogs, podcasts, and videos.
  • martaindale
    Crowd source! I have lists of ideas but I want to know what, as runners at various levels, would want to read/hear/see on blogs, podcasts, and videos.

I am always eager to learn about nutrition, including daily diet stuff and training/racing nutrition. As for training/racing nutrition, there are new products out all the time and it can get overwhelming. Some practical info about usage, advantages/disadvantages, even anecdotal experiences would be cool. Discussion around changing knowledge and fitness science. For instance I recently learned that RICE may not be as helpful as we once thought and that even the original author of this term has backed off of it in favor of letting our bodies do what they know to do to treat injuries. Or all the conflicting data on fasted running. Is it good, bad, men vs women, distance vs time, etc. And I love a good human interest story, especially if someone has had a nonconventional or challenging path. I find it inspiring to see the evolution in people as they work to achieve whatever their goals are.

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,388 Member
    02.4: 3.0km in 25 min
    08.4: 4.2km in 34 min
    11.4: 4.3km in 35 min
    12.4: 5.0km in 40 min (plus few seconds)
    14.4: 3.5km in 30 min
    18.4: 1.1km benchmark run
    19.4: 3.6km in 30 mins, 20 second stride repeats
    21.4: 5.0km in 42 mins, slow run
    24.4: 1.609km in 12 mins
    25.4: 4km in 33 min
    27.4: 5.5km in 46 min
    29.4: 3.7km in 30 minutes, 10 stride repeats, 20s

finally getting somewhere. Managed to run the warmup of 15 minutes with slow breathing, including the short uphill section. I also managed to get the 90 steps up to my flat fairly effortlessly afterwards. Yay!
  • SwimBikeRun_Mom
    SwimBikeRun_Mom Posts: 46 Member
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @SwimBikeRun_Mom when I work on my cadence I like to listen to music which has a beat to match the cadence I'm trying to get to. If I want to hit a cadence of 170, I go to my favorite music streaming service and search for "170 bpm" and I can find several playlists with songs matching the cadence. Having the right beat really makes it easier for me. I did give up on trying to hit 180 though. I can hit 170 if I pay attention to it, but otherwise I'm running 160 to 165, and the slower I go the harder it is to hit that.

This is a great tip! I'll definitely do this when I'm running with music - thanks! (I never thought to search for songs by bpm!)
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,779 Member
    If you want to hit 180 bpm "Im so excited" by the Pointer Sisters. I use this when I sprint.

I am a heel striker. But it's not an issue for me. The only way I get faster is increased cadence. But unfortunately then my HR is too high so I am working on both. Runs with a lower average HR and keeping the sprints to once or twice a week. When I was younger MORE was better but now that I am a little "ahem" older I can tell that over working my heart is not doing it any favors.

Another 4.2 today for 132 plus for the month. One more day and then BOOM here comes May. I have been in maintenance since 2017 Oct but lately have been feeling a bit fluffy so it might be time for a slow cut in May. I have dedicated April to eating steady state and keeping the binges away. Ready to try a small cut which would also help my running for sure!
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    shanaber wrote: »
    @polskagirl01 - So happy that your guests now have their own place! I am sure everyone involved is feeling better. Are they still making and selling the pierogies (meat dumplings?)?
    They've finally filled all of the orders from the first post I made, and want to put another offer out with additional items. I need to put a post together, but might be hesitating because I dread the inbox blowup that I know will follow.
    More info
    Today's adventure: welfare office sent me to take the ladies to a multi-day, all-day unpaid training to see about a seasonal job... that has mandatory hours of 7am-6pm every day including Sunday (plus probably 45-60 minute bus commute each way), selling strawberries alone along a busy road for 150 złoty (35US$/32€) a day. 🤔 They acted offended when I called to let them know it wouldn't work to leave 4 children unsupervised all day, every day 🤷‍♀️

I bought strawberries from the lady selling them (she wasn't the boss and said herself she wants to find a different job), wished her well and took my ladies back home 😁

Then I started thinking about welfare office's reaction, and wondering if "IATA". I'm not, right?

@Scott6255 hooray for signing up for the marathon! I don't know about you, but it's been somewhat of a terrifying feeling for me, every time I've been signed up for a marathon. I guess healthy respect is a good thing.

Today I did my bike-swim-bike thing aka turn legs into rubber day. I dread it, but then am glad I did it, when it's done. Glad, tired, and super hungry.
  • martaindale
    @polskagirl01 no, definitely NTA. That "job" seems like exploitation targeting people they know are in need. Glad you stood up for your ladies!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    @polskagirl01 NTA. I always tell people to be weary of jobs that have you do any unpaid work esp before hire or jobs that make you pay to start up. That job sounds like the are certainly preying on those in a bad situation
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,967 Member
    Definitely NTA @polskagirl01

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,385 Member
    @polskagirl01 no, definitely NTA. That "job" seems like exploitation targeting people they know are in need. Glad you stood up for your ladies!

Definitely NTA and all of this ^^^ @polskagirl01!!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,944 Member
    edited April 2022
    @martaindale Good luck on your 10K next month. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and you'll surprise yourself. Thanks for the info on cadence too. I don't have a very long stride, so doubt that is an issue for me. LOL Glad you ran into Hank. Sorry that the trail was in such bad shape though.

@RunsOnEspresso I second @martaindale 's suggestion on nutrition - esp pre, post, and during a race - long run. I feel I am really lacking in this aspect of training and why I was so wiped when I ran my HM last year.

Great run @yirara . And wonderful about the steps. I find that even at my fittest I have a hard time with stairs.

You are doing great @SummerSkier . It's hard to believe this is already the last day of April!

@polskagirl01 I agree. You are NTA. That does sound like they are trying to take advantage of the desperate situation. Shame on them and good for you for helping your guests avoid that trap.

Glad you were able to get out and run @shanaber . Also glad someone stopped for the puppy. I too wonder about people who get a pet and then basically ignore them. I have some neighbor's like that. It makes me sad when I see all of the dogs they have that get what seems like no attention. Congrats on the 100 mile club too!

You continue to amaze me @AlphaHowls !
  • martaindale
    @Scott6255 You’re doing great figuring out how to balance the mileage with injury prevention. 120 miles is a feat!
  • martaindale
    April totals: 103.3/100 miles

4/1: 3.2 miles
    4/2: 6.5 miles
    4/3: 3.2 miles
    4/5: 4.1 miles
    4/6: 4.3 miles
    4/8: 3.1 miles
    4/9: 7 miles
    4/10: 3.1 miles
    4/12: 5.1 miles
    4/13: 4.7 miles
    4/15: 5 miles
    4/17: 8 miles
    4/18: 3 miles
    4/19: 3.1 miles
    4/20: 5.1 miles
    4/21: 3.1 miles
    4/23: 4.1 miles
    4/25: 3 miles
    4/26: 4.8 miles
    4/28: 5.7 miles
    4/29: 6 miles
    4/30: 8.1 miles

Goal met with my last run of the month! I froze some water in the bladder of my hydration vest as suggested by @skippygirlsmom in preparation for a mid 70’s humid run this morning. It was really nice having the cold vest on my back and cold water to drink. It lasted for about 6 miles before all the ice melted. Definitely will be doing that for my summer runs.
    I was supposed to do 6 miles at long run pace then the last 2 approaching 10k race pace. I had my doubts about accomplishing that the second I stepped outside. When mile 7 rolled around, I really tried to find some speed and despite my best efforts, only dropped 15 secs off my pace. Nowhere close to a 10k race pace. Or even a HM pace. At that point I decided the additional effort wasn’t benefiting me so I might as well slow it down to let my HR recover. Overall the run was good and one of the longer ones I have done in the heat. I am sort of dreading having runs this long routinely through the summer but it will be character building. And hopefully give me a heck of a fall glow-up!