Women 200lb+, Let's Have A Momentous May!!!

Replies

• mmdeveau
    mmdeveau Posts: 107 Member
    Popping in for a quick response to @Generic_Excuse
    • Restaurant and sodium - you aren't kidding! My brother-in-law started his career in restaurant management, and the liberal amounts of salt and oil he uses in dishes is no joke. My sister has asked him to use "less" and supposedly there's been some sort of compromise. But every time I eat there I'm puffy the next day. If you have normal cardiac and kidney function, drink extra water.
    • I am an ardent fan of the No BS Woman podcast (formerly known as Phit 'n Phat). Yes she has a business and yes she markets it through the podcast. And she swears a lot. But for no outlay of cash and the value of my time, there's no one who's offering better "diet" advice. What she would tell you about going out for girls night: plan ahead for what you are going to eat and stick to the plan (you've already planned ahead); and remind yourself about why you are really going out - is it to "eat your face off" or to socialize with your friends? When it comes down to it, you probably really want to see your friends, and the food and drink is also "there."

Coming up with something that you'll tell yourself when you're out for girls night sounds like a good thing to practice, and if despite all your strategies going in you don't follow what you planned, you can review later and really get to the reasons why things did not go according to plan. Any experience is an opportunity to learn something new!
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,268 Member
    @CupcakeCrusoe I am sorry to hear about your fall but so glad not too serious. I broke my little finger when I was a kid and felt like that. However it was whether when I held out my 2 hands the broken one didn’t look like my unhurt one that clued my Mom into it being broken. My nurse navigator said I am in survivorship now. I am just on hormone therapy which gives me an extra 5% against reoccurrence since the cancer was estrogen +. Interesting to hear about macrofactor and how you tweeked MFP too.
    @biohazardinc I never weigh myself after a shower. I always weigh less before my shower. I took the genetic tests. I suspected I didn’t have the mutations because until this generation no one in my family ever had cancer. The tests were negative fortunately. I wonder if growing up in the LA area before they cleaned up the air pollution was related since 2 siblings have had cancer. Luckily we have all survived. Glad you didn’t have the mutation! I was feeling safe. As I get older I find I need to listen to myself but you need to distinguish between motivation and other things. Usually when I decide to exercise I get this small feeling of joy. Again it is my body speaking. However when I am walking I have to sometimes keep the motivation up.
    @seltzer_lover I love your description of your good morning yesterday. I usually read more than a book a week. However I don’t watch any TV.
    @rockitwell86 I will look into that book. What genre is it? I agree it isn’t fruits or vegetables that kill our weight loss. I do not really have to worry about eating too much fruit but about getting more.
    @EDTake2 after years and years on here I am able to maintain or lose slowly without logging calories. However if I want to get serious about weight loss I have to log food and exercise and cook at home. I hope May is a good month for you. Good job maintaining with all that stress last month.
    @RavenStCloud I was wondering if anyone had that same experience. If I had it happen the next day I would have wondered if I should ignore it. I think I am just building up my strength again and need to let my body tell me when to push and when not to.
    @Clulessmama1979 You didn’t mention your height or age or BMR but judging from a later post I see you wouldn’t eat below your BMR at least not for long so that would be my only concern. Good job avoiding the Mountain dew and meeting your goals yesterday.
    @swimmom_1 I lost 20 pounds on MFP before and had a long stubborn plateau. I did everything but what I needed to do. I ate less; I exercised more; I switched up my exercise, etc. Then I saw the posts about eating more to lose. I had been eating below my BMR for too long and upping my exercise at the same time. I decided to take a rest of 2 weeks from my deficit. I slowly upped my calories to what MFP said was maintenance and started losing. I lost some at 1st at those ‘maintenance’ calories. Then after 2 weeks I went down to a more sensible deficit between my estimated TDEE and BMR. My TDEE had gone up with more exercise. Then I lost 20 more pounds. I would have lost more but I went back to work fulltime and didn’t adjust my calories with less exercise and being more sedentary and started gaining again. Now I am slowly getting back down.
    @bonniemcc4 thanks for the reintroduction. Hope your pain and illness improves.

@_manny_702 I am rooting for you getting to Onderland
    @justanotherloser007 I like your advice to swimmom_1 My husband lost weight the last time I did and since he didn’t have much to lose he lost faster than I did but he lost muscle. I took him to my aquaexercise classes and he built it up again.
    @finngirl61 glad you posted. Sorry to hear about your losses. It is an achievement that you haven’t gained.
    @FitnessGirl11mfp once I found this group/thread I ended up making it a goal to come here regularly and it helped me. It is more motivational than just logging.
    About stairs: I fell on the stairs at work once and although I just sat down I broke my leg! One way for everyone to get to know who you are at a new job. Luckily it was “the best break I could have had on my leg”. I went to my son’s wedding in Hawaii a little more than a week later. He led me to my seat with a boot on my leg. I even made it into the ocean and went swimming in the pools. My sister and sister-in-law have also had falls with pretty serious injuries.
    @JAC581 I am on Goodreads with same user name. I like historical mysteries the most. I was thinking about reading The Midnight Library I think.
    @kenziestabes So sorry to hear you have COVID. I hope you recover well. The rates are going up here even for hospitalizations. My mom’s retirement community has had to close the dining room several times this spring. Take care.

Okay I need to stop and get to my day. I want to read the ones I missed soon.
  • justanotherloser007
    justanotherloser007 Posts: 578 Member
    edited May 2022
    @Clulessmama1979 You know, it came to my attention, after sort of reading through the TL;DR... why would your handle be clueless? You are one smart cookie! Is it because I said smart cookie? Doh with the stupid foods, now I can only think about cookies. That is the way the cookie crumbles! If this is too personal ignore the question, but what are you clueless about? lols, cuz it ain't math honey!

Also, too true what you said about those who set up sedentary, then earn back food with calories burned. I was bedridden for a few years, and I feel like if I had been armed with some knowledge on how to maintain in a bedridden state - my weight would have been less out of control.

So I set MFP on sedentary, earn back some calories with exercise. In the back of my mind, I could end up sick at any moment back in bed, waiting for the hubby to come home to eat or drink anything. Never even figured out what caused it, all the Dr.'s came up with nothing.

I do relish earning calories for food! Haha, relish!! I am constantly like this!!
  • Cluelessmama1979
    Cluelessmama1979 Posts: 129 Member
    @KeriA yeah so... here's the thing... I know the math and I know the safety stuff, but knowing doesn't change much. I'm just as likely to slip up and eat too little or too much as anyone else. If you catch me, feel free to yell at me.

@justanotherloser007
    but what are you clueless about? lols, cuz it ain't math honey!

Literally everything else.
    I'm decent at most math/science.
    I'm good at specifically calorie/weight related math/science.

I know how to do research if I don't know something.

And... that's it. I don't know anything else about anything. Clueless at parenting. Clueless at socializing. Clueless about basic life skills. Clueless about how to even implement what I *do* know, lol.

Just Clueless.

Also I think you're hamming it up a bit with the food references. Oh god I said ham. It's contagious.

Sorry that was cheesy

...oops.
  • biohazardinc
    biohazardinc Posts: 95 Member

@JAC581 @seltzer_lover @biohazardinc I want in on this book club! I read mostly spec fic... fantasy, horror, sci-fi, alternate history, dystopian, etc, and used to write horror short stories

Have you read Swan Song. It sounds like it would be up your ally. It’s one of my favorites.

@Cluelessmama1979 Are you a mathematician because wow math. Like I said I thought as an accountant I liked math but wow. But you explained it very well. I double checked I selected not very active because I have a desk job.

I find that unusual meat the same amount of food except for the outlier days. I try to hit for the before exercise amount anyways but sometimes I got over but never over my activity.

Thanks for the break down and now I feel inferior for my short post!

• biohazardinc
    @KeriA The process of getting tested was nothing but traumatic. Which as I said ended up being pointless because by some awful coincidence after taking a Ancestry DNA test I found out I wasn’t even related to my dad…I am glad to hear you to don’t have the mutation.

@Cluelessmama1979 You definitely are not clueless haha!
  • Cluelessmama1979
    Cluelessmama1979 Posts: 129 Member
    Have you read Swan Song. It sounds like it would be up your ally. It’s one of my favorites.

I haven't, but I have it on my short list... I'll move it up!
    Are you a mathematician because wow math. Like I said I thought as an accountant I liked math but wow. But you explained it very well. I double checked I selected not very active because I have a desk job.

Nope I just like math lol
    Thanks for the break down and now I feel inferior for my short post!

Nah, mine was only long cause math. If iy helped, I'm glad!
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    edited May 2022
    5/3/22-151.6 lbs So a drop. Probably water retention from my trip, plane ride and not eating my normal do to being away.
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,355 Member
    edited May 2022
    Good morning everyone,

Things are not better, but my feeling bad about them won't change them, so I'm determined to go on as normal. Weight is 189.6 today again, which I am again not worried about, but being within .2 of the same weight for this long is starting to mess with my head. :tongue:

When I went into the garage to get my chicken for lunch today, my squat rack was glaring at me. Soon my thumb will be all better, and then I'll feel comfortable lifting again. Don't want to push it and hurt my hand more.

Tag party time!
    @justanotherloser007 Thank you, I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather. It was certainly scary, and I would be lying if I said that dying didn't cross my mind when I flipped over my head.

@kenziestabes oh no! Sending mojo that you get better soonest, and that it's mild in the meantime.

@biohazardinc to be safe, I eat back only half of my exercise calories when I log activity through MFP, and I only log activity in MFP if it's above and beyond- I don't log walks for steps, but will log a long power walk, or rigorous housecleaning (like scrubbing floors), because I've never taken the time to figure out when it's "safe" to eat back exercise calories, since calories given by different methods for different types of exercise might be wildly overestimated. If I'm marathon training or something, I obviously will, but for any other exercise? Meh. oof, sorry to hear about this. :heart:
    Which as I said ended up being pointless because by some awful coincidence after taking a Ancestry DNA test I found out I wasn’t even related to my dad…

oh and btw! If you want a good spreadsheet, say no more: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10639284/down-eight-pounds-in-seven-weeks-sharing-my-tdee-spreadsheet @seltzer_lover and I use this one, I think @justanotherloser007 started using it, too.

@seltzer_lover @JAC581 @Cluelessmama1979 @biohazardinc @KeriA I love all the book club talk. I listen to more podcasts than books, but I fully support this effort. :smiley: I'm in the middle of Guns, Germs, and Steel right now, and I really want this summer to be the summer I re-read all of my Agatha Christies. (I have a lot, but not quite all- always looking for ones I haven't seen yet.)

@Generic_Excuse I do at least love the chains that have the nutritional info out there, much better than eyeballing a salad to try to guess, haha

@Cluelessmama1979 lol I'm envisioning a quick add labeled 'lies'
    add 200 calories of "lies" every time I went to Applebee's or TGI Friday's...

@sbortnick pre-kids weight, that's wonderful! Congratulations! And fitting into smaller clothes is always a great feeling. You'll be in "regular" sizes in no time!

@goal06082021 I never thought about it that way, but you're absolutely right:
    MFP wants to help you see the connection between diet and exercise when it comes to weight management, and encourage you to build an exercise habit by giving you that immediate reward of "burned X more calories than normal, so can now have a little more food."

@seltzer_lover
    How many of us had to read "Beowulf" in high school and wanted to climb out the window! AND I"M A DEVOTED READER.
    For me that book was Great Expectations. Just... could not get into it. I'm loath to try it again as an adult to see if I like it better.

@KeriA you are really getting those goals! We love to see it.

That's an interesting theory, that the pollution might have increased your cancer risk.

And oof, falling down the stairs when you're new on the job! Glad to hear it wasn't a bad break.

@Cluelessmama1979 wonderful and thorough post. A+.

@mmdeveau
    Any experience is an opportunity to learn something new!
    yepp. And maybe I'm an outlier for this, but if I tried and still came in over, pfft, it's one night, I had a good time, it's fine. Weight loss isn't a race.

@justanotherloser007 lollllllllll
    I do relish earning calories for food! Haha, relish!! I am constantly like this!!

@Cluelessmama1979 y'all have me rolling this morning, lol
    Also I think you're hamming it up a bit with the food references. Oh god I said ham. It's contagious.

Sorry that was cheesy

@ersilva_77 oh my gosh, that sounds so scary! I'm glad to hear they found what was wrong, and that you're in treatment. You've come to the right place for weight loss support, this is the best thread on MFP. We're all here for you, and you get what you put into it, so feel free to post at any of us and just start chatting!

@swimmom_1 plane rides do that. Something about the altitude changes.

We're all very chatty recently! I love to see it! Have a great day everyone!

weight.png
  • rockitwell86
    rockitwell86 Posts: 36 Member
    edited May 2022
    Good morning y'all!

Yesterday was nuts at work. Not in a bad way, just busy & I spent most of my day in meetings or running around. Today I have to go to a funeral for a coworker's mom, so that's going to be pretty depressing.

Meeting a friend for dinner tonight & so looking forward to it. I've been in a social rut here recently & just overall feeling kind of blah about things. Don't get me wrong, I love my friends, but they don't DO anything. We go to the same bar & do the same things. I want to do things. Go places. I need some excitement. Spring fever has hit hard & I'm bored.

I think I may download Bumble & try the BFF option again. See if I can make some new friends. It's so hard to make friends as an adult. Even though I live in a "city" (I use that term loosely here) there isn't a lot going on here.

B : bacon & cheddar frittata, too much coffee
    L : low carb/turkey shepherd's pie
    D : steak salad - meeting a friend out
  • rockitwell86
    rockitwell86 Posts: 36 Member
    I don't remember who asked what The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo was, but here's the synopsis:

"Aging and reclusive Hollywood movie icon Evelyn Hugo is finally ready to tell the truth about her glamorous and scandalous life. But when she chooses unknown magazine reporter Monique Grant for the job, no one is more astounded than Monique herself. Why her? Why now?

Monique is not exactly on top of the world. Her husband has left her, and her professional life is going nowhere. Regardless of why Evelyn has selected her to write her biography, Monique is determined to use this opportunity to jumpstart her career.

Summoned to Evelyn’s luxurious apartment, Monique listens in fascination as the actress tells her story. From making her way to Los Angeles in the 1950s to her decision to leave show business in the ‘80s, and, of course, the seven husbands along the way, Evelyn unspools a tale of ruthless ambition, unexpected friendship, and a great forbidden love. Monique begins to feel a very real connection to the legendary star, but as Evelyn’s story near its conclusion, it becomes clear that her life intersects with Monique’s own in tragic and irreversible ways."

So far it's really good. It was a little slow to start but picked up. I've found out who the love of her life is & I'm on husband #4. It definitely makes you think about how things probably were back in the 50s/60s compared to now.
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,355 Member
    Well, now we know why there was so much hullabulloo last week...look what I got in my email.

eyodbgmmm1y4.png
  • biohazardinc
    @ersilva_77 I’m so sorry to hear about all you’ve been through. I get migraines so I can’t even imagine a brain bleed sounds scary! Hopefully everything they have you on is working.

@cluelessmama1979 I definitely recommend moving it up it is an amazing piece of work. The S.D Perry novels for Resident Evil are pretty awesome too. And Haha! I like math too but I love spreadsheets more.

@swimmom_1 Water retention is such an awful thing. I remember feeling so swollen on my honeymoon.

@cupcakecrusoe Sorry to hear you not feeling any better. That too would get to my head but keep at it! I try to only eat my exercise points except on weekends. That way I’m being cautious. Ugh I can’t even imagine a marathon WAY too much running. About my dad it doesn’t change our relationship but it did change the one I have with my mom. Our relationship was always damaged but I don’t know that it can recover this time. And omg yay spreadsheets.

@rockitwell86 Sorry to hear about your social rut. I get in those moods too.. Sometimes I have to force myself to socialize depression has reached a new low especially since everything in my family blew up in January. Although in October last year I was feeling so alone that I searched for friends on reddit… I don’t recommend it. Most of the replies I got were men looking for a hookup. I only met one person who invited me to a discord group that disbanded shortly after she got what she wanted out of the group which was a boyfriend. I’d definitely hang out with you if I lived around you. Not sure where you are but I’m in IL.
    I have not heard of the book but my daughters name is Eveyln :D

@kenziestabes That’s a good mantra!

@Cupcakecrusoe That looks pretty cool! Lets hope it doesn’t break the app again.

• JAC581
    JAC581 Posts: 91 Member
    Hi all! Happy Wednesday. I am bogged down in work since taking a sick day yesterday, so I'll keep things short and sweet.

I'm so glad that TOM bloat is gone and I got a nice whoosh today.

I forget who all asked about The Midnight Library. It was just okay - I liked the short chapters and it was intriguing at first, but quickly became very repetitive and overly saccharine. I probably wouldn't recommend it.
  • justanotherloser007
    EXTREMELY bad pain day, started after dinner yesterday and woke up a couple times in the middle of the night in agony.

@CupcakeCrusoe oh no, I actually created a food called lies and gave it 200 calories. I might even have put it's brand as Applebee's but I don't remember. I was a brat back then, lol.

Oh, sweetie (((hugs))) and for all those who are grieving (((hugs)))
    But lols at the lies!! I think this is why my SIL thinks that she is plateaued at 220 pounds. She orders from restaurants for every meal and never cooks and claims she is eating "1500 calories a day" mmmm nope. She is sedentary, but not comatose. At 5'11 and 1500 calories a day, she would not have maintained 220 for 5 months. Just nope. Restaurants lie I guess *sigh*
  • justanotherloser007
    I think I may download Bumble & try the BFF option again. See if I can make some new friends. It's so hard to make friends as an adult.

Wait, wait, wait.... hold the cheese, are you telling me that there is an app for building new friendships????? Please, tell me more. I literally live in the most populated zip code in America, and have only talked to my neighbors maybe a few times since 2003. Yep, Texas is friendly ya'll and the peeps is too busy to talk to generally anyone longer than "Hello" "hugs"