Women 200lb+, Let's Have A Momentous May!!!

Replies

• seltzer_lover
    seltzer_lover Posts: 261 Member
    Was there a post in a recent thread (maybe April or March?) about allergy medication and weight gain/slowing weight loss?

I seem to recall seeing something, but was unable to really process it at the time. I just went off Zyrtek as my allergy season is thankfully winding down...and I'm wondering if that's part of the reason my weight loss stalled so annoyingly in late March/April.

@CupcakeCrusoe - was it you that posted about this? Not sure why you're sitting in my brain as the starter of that convo, but you are. :lol:
  • biohazardinc
    biohazardinc Posts: 95 Member
    Was there a post in a recent thread (maybe April or March?) about allergy medication and weight gain/slowing weight loss?

I seem to recall seeing something, but was unable to really process it at the time. I just went off Zyrtek as my allergy season is thankfully winding down...and I'm wondering if that's part of the reason my weight loss stalled so annoyingly in late March/April.

@CupcakeCrusoe - was it you that posted about this? Not sure why you're sitting in my brain as the starter of that convo, but you are. :lol:

Dear god don't tell me thats true I literraly cannot live without Allegra. I'm allergic to the world.
  • seltzer_lover

Dear god don't tell me thats true I literraly cannot live without Allegra. I'm allergic to the world.

I don't know why it popped into my head today...maybe because I went off Zyrtek last week and I've been seeing correlated losses on the scale? (Obv correlation isn't causation, but it made me think.)

I'm currently googling the snot out of this to find reputable sources.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/do-antihistamines-cause-weight-gain-83094

https://www.webmd.com/diet/obesity/features/medication-weight-gain

https://www.everydayhealth.com/diet-nutrition/common-medications-that-may-cause-weight-gain/

They all seem to rely on one specific study that shows a correlation but not necessarily causation.
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,355 Member
    edited May 2022

It was MEEEE hahaha

I did find that when I got off centirizine (generic Zyrtec) and onto loratidine (generic Claritin) that I was less starving all the time. It was noticeable for me. So if things other than Zyrtec work for your allergies, I say go for it.

ETA don't know much about Allegra- this whole thing started for me because my kid was put on antihistamines to increase her appetite, and I said hmmmmmmm lol. Worth a google, to see if your particular allergy med of choice has similar side effects.
  • seltzer_lover
    edited May 2022

It was MEEEE hahaha

I did find that when I got off centirizine (generic Zyrtec) and onto loratidine (generic Claritin) that I was less starving all the time. It was noticeable for me. So if things other than Zyrtec work for your allergies, I say go for it.

ETA don't know much about Allegra- this whole thing started for me because my kid was put on antihistamines to increase her appetite, and I said hmmmmmmm lol. Worth a google, to see if your particular allergy med of choice has similar side effects.

Hahahahahaha - I'm not sure why that stuck in my brain for so long, but glad it was at least correct. :lol:

I'll have to go back and look at when I started the Zyrtek, when I went off the Zyrtek, and chart that against my weight charts. And I'll have to see if my losses go back to a more normal cadence now that I'm off of it, but it's DEFINITELY food for thought. :thinking face:
  • biohazardinc
    It was MEEEE hahaha

@CupcakeCrusoe I read that like Jim Carry in Liar Liar. LOL! Allegra is the only thing that works for me. I suppose it doesn't really matter I'm on anti depressants and those are known to cause weight gain and I don't see me getting off those anytime soon... I recently had a doctors appointment about losing weight and they said it would be a difficult journey on anti depressants but he thinks I'm going in the right direction.

• thatbeautifulchick
    thatbeautifulchick Posts: 11 Member
    Hello all 🥰 new to this kinda. I was here years ago and lost a good 88 pounds, gained a lot but not all of it back, okay mostly all lol. Looking to get back on it because I know I'm fully capable of being my best self and feeling good.

My boyfriend and I met doing stand up comedy (that's where I gained 60 lbs traveling, drinking, partying for a job lol)

We both cut out drinking and are taking a break from comedy for health reasons. Time to get my diet in control now that I have cut out drinking. My goal is to lost 85 lbs and see where I want to go from there.

SW:288
    Restart weight:273
    CW:269
    GW:185
  • JAC581
    JAC581 Posts: 91 Member
    I suppose it doesn't really matter I'm on anti depressants and those are known to cause weight gain and I don't see me getting off those anytime soon... I recently had a doctors appointment about losing weight and they said it would be a difficult journey on anti depressants but he thinks I'm going in the right direction.

Granted, every body is different and different drugs will work differently, but it is possible to lose weight on antidepressants. I've been on various antidepressants since I was about 17 or so, and I've been on the same combo for at least 5 years. In late 2020/early 2021, I was able to lose 35 lbs (and then I got lazy again). Fortunately, my psychiatrist is very aware of my weight issues and tries to avoid prescribing drugs that are more likely to cause weight gain. Hopefully, you won't have too many issues from the antidepressants. I'm a big mental health advocate and feel it's so important to take care of mental health above all so that you can be in the right mindset for everything else.

I did recently start a monthly injectable medication for migraines (Emgality), which has a lot of reports of rapid weight gain of ~15 lbs, so that's fun. Maybe that's why I'm having more trouble losing this time around. I've been trying to determine if it's really worth it to stay on it. I've been on it for 3 months now, and I don't have any other side effects, which is positive. Can't really tell if it's working though - I still get migraines and they last for very long stretches, but I also have more pain-free days, so I really don't know.

• kenziestabes
    kenziestabes Posts: 338 Member
    Weigh-in Day: Sundays
    SW (7/13/2021): 247
    CW (5/1/2022): 194.8
    GW (5/31/2022): 190
    UGW: 165

5/1: 194.8
    5/8: 193.7
    5/15: 193.4 (-0.3 pounds)
    5/22:
    5/31:

Goals for May:

1. Weight lifting 1x per week
    2. Run 1x per week
    3. Trek with dog 1x per week
    4. 50 sit ups in a row
    5. 20 stair step push ups in a row
    6. Get up earlier (~6:30)
    7. Be more social on weekends
    8. Study for exam 30 min per day
    9. Eat out 3 meals per week or less

I, at one point this week, say 192.9, but alas, it didn't last. I will blame weightlifting on Friday for my Sunday weight, namely because it has been a while and my legs/arms were still sore Sunday when I weighed myself. Getting closer to goal 6! And I took the dog to the dog park and chatted with another dog owner this weekend- goals 3 and 7!
  • seltzer_lover
    JAC581 wrote: »
    I did recently start a monthly injectable medication for migraines (Emgality), which has a lot of reports of rapid weight gain of ~15 lbs, so that's fun. Maybe that's why I'm having more trouble losing this time around. I've been trying to determine if it's really worth it to stay on it. I've been on it for 3 months now, and I don't have any other side effects, which is positive. Can't really tell if it's working though - I still get migraines and they last for very long stretches, but I also have more pain-free days, so I really don't know.

I've been on it for over 2 years and didn't notice any issues with it in terms of weight gain. It also is my miracle drug in terms of reducing migraine days and reducing their intensity when they do happen.

Obviously every body is different! When I switched jobs last year making sure this was covered on my insurance plan was one of the most important factors in accepting a job offer.
  • sargemarcori
    sargemarcori Posts: 301 Member
    @biohazardinc how terrifying! I had an incident like that as a child (my chain slipped, no hand brakes, top of a hill!) but no one was there to stop me. I've been terrified of hills on a bike since. Does she have hand brakes? Maybe a brake (on the BACK WHEEL) for when she's scared? SO glad she's okay.
    Hello! I’m 31 years old and I’ve struggled with weight my whole life. My dad died when I was 13 and since then I’ve turned to food for comfort. That comfort became addiction and binge eating tendencies. I also have depression and anxiety which I would also medicate with food. I’ve successfully lost weight before but over time I would always get complacent and the pounds would pack back on before I even reached half of my goal weight.

I also love your username, @Girlfieri223 ! And while I was a solid but possibly healthy weight before, I also lost a parent very young (my mom, before I turned 12) and emotional eating, depression, and anxiety led to rapid gain. I know I was 150 at fifteen (because I remember thinking, "well, I guess that's normal, 150/15 is ten pounds a year...?" back before the internet, and I had no adults to talk to.) anyway, it was a downward slide from there.

Anyway. I'm here now. I'm learning how to eat, and how to move. so glad to have so many awesome folks in this boat, rowing with me.

Last night I put my last few "new low weights" on my whiteboard, with the dates they happened, and counted the number of days between them. Hoping if I have it right in front of me I can motivate myself to keep doing what I *know* works, trying to bring those new-lowest-weights closer together. Since I always weigh low, bounce for a few days, then hit a new lower low IF I keep on with the program.

That's what makes the difference. Sticking with the program.

• PansyLass13
    PansyLass13 Posts: 14 Member
    weekly check in time...
    On paper, it doesn't look great this week but motivation-wise, I'm feeling really good. I got a night away to myself on saturday, i think for the first time since having kids. It was such a breath of fresh air that i call this week a win just for that, lol.

Today, I've been meal planning and am ready to go to the grocery store. Just ate dinner, so I should be in my "right" mind and not hungry. Maybe the warmer weather, but I'm feeling more like eating veg and not grazing/snacking on sweets. Phew! I'm thankful for that

My weight is up today but think it will be better next week.

goals for may:
    *log daily, every bite
    -have done this a few days, but not all.
    *lights out by 11pm
    -been midnight a few times, still better than it had been.
    *move every day, at least 20 min.
    -have not been able to get this in as much as I'd like.

Starting weight: 218.4
    Current weight: 218.4
    Goal weight: 170

weekly weights
    5/9: 218.4
    5/16: 220.4
    5/23:
    5/30:
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    @swimmom_1 wow, what a workout! Do you watch movies or anything while you do these really long workouts?

Yes I watch show series or movies on my tablet. Helps me to pass the time. I exercise only on my days off work and not my 4 work days. The long times makeup for that. 2 hours is on the shorter side of my normal. 3 times I have done a Marathon, 26.2 miles, between 2 sessions in a day. If I get close enough I just have to do it.
  • bonniemcc4
    bonniemcc4 Posts: 129 Member
    I weigh in on Mondays.

Started 2/5/22
    SW: 288.8
    CW: 269.2
    GW for May: 263

5/2: 269.2
    5/9: 267.6 (-1.6)
    5/16: 265.6 (-2.0)
    5/23:
    5/30:

Goals for May:

🍎 Keep eating 4-5 fruits and veggie servings per day, at least 5 days a week
    🧘🏼‍♀️ Start Leslie Sansone workouts and work up to 8 minutes at a time by the end of the month (optimistic goal - apparently I can do 4-5 minutes okay)
    💭 Start seeing new therapist -first appt is set for the 23rd
    ⬇️ Lose 6 pounds (but I’ll be happy with any loss)
    🥳 Hopefully get myself some rewards that will help me continue to make healthier changes

I believe I got 4-5 fruits and veggies every day. I did Leslie sansone for 4-5 minutes 4x this past week. My Fitbit Inspire 2 arrived Wednesday and I’m really loving it.
  • bonniemcc4
    bonniemcc4 Posts: 129 Member
    @KeriA I hope your youngest feels better quickly and the rest of you stay well. You’re doing mostly what I did when the rest of the house had Covid in February and I was able to avoid it. Hopefully you are too.
  • biohazardinc
    JAC581 wrote: »
    I suppose it doesn't really matter I'm on anti depressants and those are known to cause weight gain and I don't see me getting off those anytime soon... I recently had a doctors appointment about losing weight and they said it would be a difficult journey on anti depressants but he thinks I'm going in the right direction.

Granted, every body is different and different drugs will work differently, but it is possible to lose weight on antidepressants. I've been on various antidepressants since I was about 17 or so, and I've been on the same combo for at least 5 years. In late 2020/early 2021, I was able to lose 35 lbs (and then I got lazy again). Fortunately, my psychiatrist is very aware of my weight issues and tries to avoid prescribing drugs that are more likely to cause weight gain. Hopefully, you won't have too many issues from the antidepressants. I'm a big mental health advocate and feel it's so important to take care of mental health above all so that you can be in the right mindset for everything else.

Same. I’ve been on antidepressant and anti anxiety’s since about 17. I’ve tried so many. For along time I was on one that wasn’t known for weight gain but my depression got so bad in recent years they switched me onto two meds that are known for weight gain. I’m just hoping by staying more active and mindful about my intake that I can combat the side effects.

I was recently put on Ajovy which is a injectable migraine preventative. I’ve been on it for 3 months and while on here haven’t seen an influx. Emgality wasn’t approved by my insurance.

Will be back to post more later!
  • JAC581
    JAC581 Posts: 91 Member
    Same. I’ve been on antidepressant and anti anxiety’s since about 17. I’ve tried so many. For along time I was on one that wasn’t known for weight gain but my depression got so bad in recent years they switched me onto two meds that are known for weight gain. I’m just hoping by staying more active and mindful about my intake that I can combat the side effects.

I was recently put on Ajovy which is a injectable migraine preventative. I’ve been on it for 3 months and while on here haven’t seen an influx. Emgality wasn’t approved by my insurance.

That's so interesting because I had the exact opposite experience. I was initially prescribed Ajovy and it wasn't approved by my insurance, so I gave up for a while then went back and they prescribed me Emgality, which was eventually approved with a bit of a fight.

After I wrote my response to you, I realized I've never tried to lose weight while not on antidepressants of any kind (I was actually underweight as a teen when I started taking them), so I have no idea if it's easier to lose weight while not on them. It's something I'm sure I'll never know as I need my meds to function.
  • sargemarcori
    sargemarcori Posts: 301 Member
    I hit a new low today! And I'm wearing a size L shirt for the first time in six years. (It's a Woman Within size L but it's NOT a Woman Within size 2X!!)

I'm so glad. I really needed that win.

@CupcakeCrusoe thanks! Someone else on the forums somewhere (maybe even here!) said weight can go up for many reasons, but it can only go down so far. So it seemed like it might be helpful. and it's definitely inspiring!

Yikes, @KeriA I hope everyone is able to stay safe, and youngest recovers fast. I don't understand the rush to go unmasked. it's SUCH an easy way to protect everyone! I am still wearing mine when I go out, and avoiding crowds. I really don't want to be the reason someone got sick.

Get those goals, @bonniemcc4!

@PansyLass13 that sounds amazing. It's been years since I got away-- I need to do it.