Whidislander Posts: 3,446 Member
    Options
    56oijyglfrt5.jpg
    Hugs ladies!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,907 Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    "The wisdom of life consists in the elimination of non-essentials."--Lin Yutang

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
  • strongerfaith
    strongerfaith Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    While it’s great seeing others’s family pictures. I never have or will ever post pictures especially of my under age family members on an open forum. No FB. You never know.. who is lurking? Too many children go missing.
  • strongerfaith
    Options
    Just my thoughts.. No paranoid.. just the sign of the times.
  • Whidislander
    Options
    Pip, how pretty! You guys did a great job!
    Faithcreek, I have sailor kids so I am always careful in keeping their info on the down low. No worries, your thoughts are welcome here. 👍
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Whidislander
    Options
    faithcreek wrote: »

As long as ya don't bash us that do, its ok with me.👍 I have known some of these ladies six+ years so we've shared much of our lives, struggles and its joys. 💖
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • strongerfaith
    Options
    faithcreek wrote: »

As long as ya don't bash us that do, its ok with me.👍 I have known some of these ladies six+ years so we've shared much of our lives, struggles and its joys. 💖
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

Never.. to each it’s own!
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I try to be cautious about putting info online, especially now with the facial recognition software. That's why my profile picture is my dog Teddy, alongside a pet rabbit. I'm probably on the paranoid side.

Annie in Delaware
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,533 Member
    Options
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    I try to be cautious about putting info online, especially now with the facial recognition software. That's why my profile picture is my dog Teddy, alongside a pet rabbit. I'm probably on the paranoid side.

Annie in Delaware

:)

My Grands parents gave me permission a long time ago to share pictures here and on FB.
    I am cautious about what may be seen later as embarrassing to the kids though.

Machka - I read the article you shared and want to thank you. I have now shut off the geotagging, I didn’t know that was a thing. I have the location services on my phone shut off most of the time, but still. I’m always careful about not sharing their full names, schools, activities, etc. I do that for myself too. Here’s a secret, I’m not actually in Edmonton. I know you have an idea where I live though since you are familiar with the area.

Tracey in Edmonton

I thought it was a good article too. There are others as well (google).

The metadata and geotagging thing was something I learned when I participated in a photography forum. To participate in their contests and things, they wanted us to post the photo AND the metadata. I did that for a while, but it kind of turned me off. I could understand why ... they wanted to take steps to ensure it was your photo and not something you'd grabbed from the internet, especially since there are legal issues with grabbing photos off the internet. But that metadata can kind of put your information out there.

Sort of related ... one of the first things I did when I got my phone back was to remove all the photos. They're backed up so I've still got them but they're not on my phone anymore. I have taken more photos since, so I have got a few on my phone, but not many, and I'll download them much more frequently.

How to Safely Share Photos of Your Child on Social Media
    https://www.verywellfamily.com/how-to-safely-share-photos-of-your-kids-on-social-media-5191030

Risks:
    • Risk of Identity Theft
    • Difficult to Remove
    • Lose Control of the Image
    • Photos Belong to Site Owners

Steps:
    • Check Your Privacy Settings
    • Turn Off the Metadata
    • Double-Check Every Photo
    • Ask Permission
    • Refrain From Posting Photos of Other Kids
    • Consider Other Mediums
    • Read the Fine Print

Anyway, it is up to the individual ... but it's always good to have the information when we make decisions. :)

And just to clarify to those who were insulted ... nowhere did anyone say that your photos were offensive.
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,749 Member
    Options
    KarenVA … I love your brother’s art!

Beth
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,816 Member
    Options
    <3