Been there, done that. But THIS is new...

Options
I've tried so many different things in the past. Here are just some:

- Joined a cheap gym
- Joined an expensive gym
- Bodyweight at home only
- Competitions with colleagues
- Hosted a workout meetup
- Ran distance obstacle races
- Hired a private in-person trainer
- Hired a virtual trainer
- Joined a small group gym
- Bought equipment
- Read books
- Took up running with a friend
- Became a vegan for 2 years

For the last 12 months, I've really hit a dry spell. Despite being told by my doctor that I'm at risk if I don’t move more, I still couldn't get moving! =( The main obstacles has been the loneliness and lack of accountability with my diet. (I've been losing the inner game big time!)

So what am I trying now? Well, I told my two kids that if I don't exercise AND log my meals on any given weekday, I have to do the dishes for them for a day AND take one of their weekend chores each. This motivates them to check on me every day and the reverse incentive makes me feel the pain of my inaction. (They LOVE seeing me do their chores and then paying them their allowance. Oof!)

And the other thing? Well, I've finally connected my SworkIt up to MFP. So now I can surround myself, virtually, with a community of people who are tracking food AND exercise in the same app as I am and are cheering each other for their efforts. I need to know I'm not alone in this struggle and I so very much appreciate the cheers. Plus, I love seeing what others are up to as they move toward their goals. It's so inspiring and sometimes it just takes a single status update from someone to motivate me into action at that moment. Like a kind of social inertia.

One last change has been that I've uninstalled other social media distractions.

My only regret is that I didn't think of connecting with strangers on MFP sooner. I thought it was so strange before.

So to those who have connected with me already, thank you! Hugs and high fives!! =)

For anyone who felt that my story has resonated with you too, feel free to connect with me.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    Hello, and welcome to the MFP Community! It sounds like you have an energizing new plan, which is a great start.

The more we look for strategies that work for us as individuals, and practice those, the higher the odds of success IMO. Finding ways of moving more that we actually enjoy, and ways of eating that are tasty/filling, makes things easier and more sustainable. Ideal: Finding and grooving in new habits that can continue almost on autopilot, to keep us healthy and happy long-term, when life gets complicated . . . because it will.

Wishing you much success!