Garden thread

Replies

• DiscoveringLisa
    DiscoveringLisa Posts: 112 Member
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    @DiscoveringLisa Looks delicious, I've got rosemary seeds and need to grow some. Good with chicken, chickpeas, potatoes and it's pretty!

Yes and it smells amazing. I've had my rosemary for years, it's a tough plant, can stand most weathers
  • DiscoveringLisa
    107° degrees here today in central Texas, miserable hot hell in the summers. I hate summers here. Grass is crunchy dead straw and lake levels are so low you can't swim in most areas. No good, no good...

So I always welcome cooler months. Summers here are miserable, some much worse than others.

Wow that sounds intense. What can you grow in that heat? I'm guessing tomatoes and peppers and chillies ?
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Lisa, there is probably a pond near by or an area of damp where he loves to be. I hope he stays part of your gardens company of wildlife.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    107° degrees here today in central Texas, miserable hot hell in the summers. I hate summers here. Grass is crunchy dead straw and lake levels are so low you can't swim in most areas. No good, no good...

So I always welcome cooler months. Summers here are miserable, some much worse than others.

How do gardens not bake with that heat? :(

They do bake...
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member

Wow that sounds intense. What can you grow in that heat? I'm guessing tomatoes and peppers and chillies ?

Just peppers, really, but I've got one cherry tomato plant and everything requires so much water.
  • DiscoveringLisa
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    Lisa, there is probably a pond near by or an area of damp where he loves to be. I hope he stays part of your gardens company of wildlife.

I usually find him on the compost heap at night or my onion patch. I think he likes the soft cool damp on his froggy skin 🤣
  • DiscoveringLisa

Just peppers, really, but I've got one cherry tomato plant and everything requires so much water.

I honestly don't know how you get anything done in that heat. I struggle to workout when it's hot here in the UK and it's nowhere near as hot as Texas. But you can grow peppers , I wish I could grow peppers ...I'd need a greenhouse though and can't afford one at the mo. Hoping you get a cool breeze or a refreshing rain soon ☺️
  • Fuzzipeg
    I forgot to mention the compost heap. Its usually a good place for frogs, especially if its in the shade and not dried out. Its a great place for him to find slugs and other small creatures. Frogs are a gardeners real friend. A few years back we had a slow worm in ours but the other gardens have changed, more cultivated so we've not seen them lately.

Have you seen the different sized metal frame plastic covered cloches which are available over here. They come in different sizes and heights. I found one at the local garden centre. B and M have what I'm thinking of, on offer too at the moment, the grow house - £10, was 15. says you can walk in 35x90h110 high takes a grow bag and looks as if 3 tomatoes would be ok in it. A 5 shelved narrow structure is £15 at the moment, the could be worth taking a look at. they can last.
  • DiscoveringLisa
    I forgot to mention the compost heap. Its usually a good place for frogs, especially if its in the shade and not dried out. Its a great place for him to find slugs and other small creatures. Frogs are a gardeners real friend. A few years back we had a slow worm in ours but the other gardens have changed, more cultivated so we've not seen them lately.

Have you seen the different sized metal frame plastic covered cloches which are available over here. They come in different sizes and heights. I found one at the local garden centre. B and M have what I'm thinking of, on offer too at the moment, the grow house - £10, was 15. says you can walk in 35x90h110 high takes a grow bag and looks as if 3 tomatoes would be ok in it. A 5 shelved narrow structure is £15 at the moment, the could be worth taking a look at. they can last.

I was thinking about buying something like that so I can grow tomatoes and chillies and peppers but was worried about how sturdy they are in high winds etc
  • Fuzzipeg
    The one I have is not very high so winds are of no bother to us. Its frame is sturdy though, not tent pole quality but not easy to bend. When I looked this morning I did not notice any guy ropes in the pictures. The skin is tied to the frame. Its possible the poles might be long enough to push into the ground a little. They might have an extension of cover to place something heavy on but I'm not sure of that.

I'd probably make internal guy ropes. I'm thinking something like lengths of washing line secured with tent pegs, you can buy some pegs from camping and outdoor shops, I don't think they are very expensive. Coat hanger wire might do, were it long enough and stiff. Use a 45 degree angle or there about's pulling away from the original corner. My idea is to have lengths long enough to do the height plus making a peg loop twice. I'd put the folded middle loop over the internal top pole at the corner and pull the ends through to secure, then secure them at the next corner, crossing as you go, giving a greater stability. (now tell me you were a girl guide, or cadet or something and automatically knew my intentions, giggle)

Its also possible were you to have a number of house bricks laying about those over the base poles might do but that would depend on the windspeed you regularly contend with. (I once lived in a house from where I could see the sea across roof tops and when the wind was in the right direction it felt as if the roof was lifting off)

All the very best, enjoy your gardening.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    We cleaned out our whole compost heap this past spring, just tilled everything right into our garden area. Now we have 7 or 8 rogue tomato plants that are growing where they dang well want to and have almost caught up to our store bought plants. Lol One year we had something growing, couldn't tell what it was until we cut it open at the end of the season. It was a melon that didn't have a chance of getting big enough. . :)
  • DiscoveringLisa
    The one I have is not very high so winds are of no bother to us. Its frame is sturdy though, not tent pole quality but not easy to bend. When I looked this morning I did not notice any guy ropes in the pictures. The skin is tied to the frame. Its possible the poles might be long enough to push into the ground a little. They might have an extension of cover to place something heavy on but I'm not sure of that.

I'd probably make internal guy ropes. I'm thinking something like lengths of washing line secured with tent pegs, you can buy some pegs from camping and outdoor shops, I don't think they are very expensive. Coat hanger wire might do, were it long enough and stiff. Use a 45 degree angle or there about's pulling away from the original corner. My idea is to have lengths long enough to do the height plus making a peg loop twice. I'd put the folded middle loop over the internal top pole at the corner and pull the ends through to secure, then secure them at the next corner, crossing as you go, giving a greater stability. (now tell me you were a girl guide, or cadet or something and automatically knew my intentions, giggle)

Its also possible were you to have a number of house bricks laying about those over the base poles might do but that would depend on the windspeed you regularly contend with. (I once lived in a house from where I could see the sea across roof tops and when the wind was in the right direction it felt as if the roof was lifting off)

All the very best, enjoy your gardening.

Haha I was a girl guide but not a very good one 🤣
    Thanks for the tips ☺️
  • DiscoveringLisa
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    We cleaned out our whole compost heap this past spring, just tilled everything right into our garden area. Now we have 7 or 8 rogue tomato plants that are growing where they dang well want to and have almost caught up to our store bought plants. Lol One year we had something growing, couldn't tell what it was until we cut it open at the end of the season. It was a melon that didn't have a chance of getting big enough. . :)

Haha that's cool, like hidden treasures
  • DiscoveringLisa
    MsCzar wrote: »
    My gorgeous garden guard...
    a0b96ywn6a5z.jpg

Cute! 😍
  • DiscoveringLisa
    Does anyone know why I get these dried crispy bits in my geranium flowers?
    1hlofw0gnrwm.jpg
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,123 Member

Too much water?

Too much fertilizer?

Recently moved to a place with strong sun?
  • Fuzzipeg
    I wondered if its being a little dry, time specific to the formation of the buds possibly even when opening. My paeonies did very similarly but they are in open ground. Looking back up at the photo, I'm wondering how many plants you have in there. Geraniums are strong hungry plants with many roots. I'm sure, from a distance they look good and only you will notice the damage. I love the blues and whites beyond.
  • DiscoveringLisa
    mtaratoot wrote: »

Too much water?

Too much fertilizer?

Recently moved to a place with strong sun?

They are in strong sun all door as they were on my front door step. I've just moved them to the back patio. I have been watering them alot, maybe that's the problem. I never get the balance right with watering...I tend to think plants are as greedy as me 🤣🤣