Tips for maintaining a positive mindset?

Options
How do you change your mindset when you’re having a really bad day? I feel like I’m so far behind in work, chores around the house, creative pursuits… everything. And despite eating like crap the past week, the scale still says I’ve lost weight when I’m trying desperately to gain.

I want to try and reset my mind but I don’t know how and I just feel so overwhelmed right now.

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I drink :drinker: 🤷‍♀️
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,191 Member
    Options
    This may be a little too out there for you, but I try to remind myself that behavior counts more than mindset. Yes, attitude and thoughts influence behavior, but the reverse is also true: If I can change behavior, thoughts may follow.

I tell myself I need to do something about the things I know need to be done, just some small step/action. It doesn't have to be the most important thing (because trying to figure that out increases the overwhelmed feeling, causes "analysis paralysis"). It can be any affirmative or useful thing - the easiest one.

Sometimes that works, and helps break the logjam.
  • Decoy152
    Decoy152 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I usually break a bad or negative mindset by physically executing on a positive action. If I am scattered, I forget all but one step of one task and execute on it. If I am not feeling motivated, I go for a walk or exersize. If I am eating poorly, I prepare tomorrow's meals today. And so on. Initially it feels like swimming through molasses but before I know it, my mindset improves.
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Rituals of life are soothing.

Make your bed. Fluff up your pillows. Fold and put away a load of laundry. Push your chairs in neatly around the table. Load your dishwasher. Mop your floor. Restore order.

I’m serious. Do the rituals of an ordinary, boring life… but with intention, looking for the calm they bring.

It works for me. One foot in front of the other.

And then if you are still stressed out, you will be stressed out in a clean space.

Sage your home.
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    I think in many ways we are told to “be positive” at all costs.. except that ignores the root causes of why we are feeling the way we are feeling.

I left MFP for awhile over toxic positivity .. I finally realized - it’s not about positivity for me .. it’s about not feeling despair over things I can’t control.
    (Also - examine why I make choices with things I can control)

It helps me to meditate a bit, breathe .. but mostly the things that are causing me stress are still there after I take a break.. so I had to fix a lot of my stuff.

Work - task list with priorities. Friends and family - set boundaries. Be clear with how you are feeling and what you need to do to take care of you.

That’s what helped me.

Hope you find some respite.
  • avatiach
    avatiach Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    These are some great ideas, some of them I have never tried before and will try.

For myself, some things that sometimes work for me: take time for myself—sometimes that means a walk or swim, or reading an escapist book (fantasy, romance, mystery), watching something silly on tv…

They don’t always work, which is why I might try these other things!