July 13 81.6 kg
    July 20
    July 27
    July 31

Rae
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 12,943 Member
    Sussysue wrote: Β»
    A little frustrated this morning when I weighed in. Felt I was doing good. I lowered my calories the other day but now I have to follow them.

This week up. I think water weight. Thinking of buying new scales to see the body fat to see if that is the fluctuations.

The bioelectrical impedance analysis scales are neat tools. I have one and use it daily. They are notoriously inaccurate. Mine only has sensors for feet, so it mostly measures my lower body. Better ones have foot pads and handgrips to get a better analysis, but they are still pretty poor. What they can do is show trends over time even if the number it shows isn't accurate. That's as long as you keep using the same device over time. Mine shows mass (weight), percent fat, percent water, bone density, and BMI. It gives consistent readings if I weigh myself multiple times, but I don't trust the numbers implicitly. I have used other methods, and I actually think it's pretty close.

If you only get on the scale once per week, it's possible that you just happened to catch an "up" day that doesn't represent the true weight of YOU. There's so many things that affect day-to-day weight. Mine can go up several pounds in one day. That's why I weigh every day and use a trending app to smooth out the noise. What I use is a weighted moving average. It is a little better than just a rolling average. I use a rolling average for this challenge, but my main tracking uses the weighted moving average. It recognizes that what the scale says today is more important than what it said ten days ago, but it also knows that the weight I was ten days ago can help estimate my "true" weight. It gives more importance to numbers that are in the more recent past. It's also a great way to track trends. Some days the scale is way UP, and I know I'm feeling bigger, but the trend still says I'm losing. On the other hand, it can take several days of the scale going down before it recognizes that yes, I'm actually losing some weight.

If you're interested in reading more about it, check out The Hackers Diet, especially the section on Signal and Noise.

A bonus is that I stress a LOT LESS on days the scale is up, even when it's up a few days in a row. I know it's not permanent.

• CactusCatDaddy
    CactusCatDaddy Posts: 14 Member
    Another newbie, here! 😊

July Start Weight: 305
    July Goal Weight: 300
    Ultimate Goal Weight: 140

July 1: 305
    July 8: 306.3 πŸ’€
    July 15: 304.3
    July 22:
    July 28:
    July 31: