Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• nsk1951
    nsk1951 Posts: 1,295 Member
    Options
    No Saturday weigh-in this week. This week it was purposeful not to pull the scale out of the bathroom linen closet. I didn't need it to know that I have not lost any weight this week, and truth be told, I didn't want to know what the number on the scale might be. After all ... I can feel the fullness in my belly and I can see some fullness in my face that wasn't there a couple of weeks ago.

Summertime has got me eating hotdogs and food truck fare ... which is not my normal eating and not the kind of food that keeps me in the zone I feel the best in ... and it's a temporary thing even if it does result in a setback.

That's the thing about setbacks ... we get used to them and the result is that they don't have the same impact as they once did. It just becomes common place, and easier to ignore or excuse away.

Waiting now to get sick of it. Looking forward to feeling better again, cause I'm tired of the tired feeling I get from the kind of foods I have been indulging in. And that is a good thing too.
  • MelodiousMermaid
    MelodiousMermaid Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Hope things are shaping up for you @nsk1951 . I'm trying to avoid the summer foods for the most part because it's hard to stop once it's started.

I ended up deciding to drop one of my low days this week due to a birthday dinner being on that day. Otherwise I've managed to stick to the plan for intake. Movement has gotten harder, though. I'm thinking it's mostly due to DOMS as I'm continuing to try to settle back into a strength training routine. At least I'm really hoping that's what it is, though have a feeling that my depression is playing a bigger part in it than I'd care to admit. I'm hitting my step goals though, even if it means doing it in chunks and sometimes walking in place at home. I'm really hoping that gets better as things go, but one day at a time...

Hope things are going well for everyone, and hope you all have a good upcoming week.

5'1"F
    Midwest USA
    HW: 261.0
    UGW: 132.0
    Dropped weight so far: 7.3

07/02/2022: 260.5
    07/09/2022: 257.5
    07/16/2022: 253.7
  • nsk1951
    Options
    Thanks @MelodiousMermaid for thinking of me. Things are 'shaping up', as you say. It's not 'summer foods' that get me into trouble so much as it is needing a break or change of pace. Happens on a cyclic basis, I think; as I recall all the past times.

I did weigh in on Saturday .. just forgot to come on here to post. My weight is up a little ..
    Sat, 7/16/22 weight 223.6

I got my organic farm produce share yesterday and was pleased that there were less 'greens', and more vegetables that I can do more with. I got 4 small zucchini and 2 tiny, tiny yellow squash plus 4 extremely young bulb onions that will go nicely with the celery and onion, and canned plum tomatoes I have from the grocery store to make a vegetable stew. There were still plenty of 'greens' in the form of very young beet greens and a Chinese Cabbage. This week there were also some young dill stems ... Gosh .. . I hate to see those immature plants pulled up to satisfy the distribution needs. Truth be told, I'd rather get less in my share bag but of a better maturity. At this point, I'm still thinking I will not repeat the the share next year but will buy at the farmer's market or grocery store instead.

• JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    So far this summer I have been extra busy work wise. I keep receiving requests for me in to sub. In doing so was able to spend time with and teach some of my former students who I have not seen in a few years. I enjoyed being able to spend time with them and seeing how far they have come from when I first met them. When not working I have been spending a lot of time with my daughter swimming in our neighbor's pool and going to the beach. We've been doing a lot of dinners with the neighbors and night swimming too.

As far as weight loss, I am still hanging in there. I keep losing and gaining the same 3-5 pounds over and over again. I am consistent with my workouts. I've been eating fairly healthy, but I am inconsistent with logging. My portions have not always been on target. Hence why I keep losing and regaining the same weight over and over again. I've been content with doing what I am doing. Though I still know what I need to do. I need to find that will to do it though.

@mnwalkingqueen
    I am sorry to hear you were always envious of those who had gatherings for holidays. If you were closer I would invite you to join us!

@MelodiousMermaid
    Congratulations on the binge free urges. That is fantastic!

@nsk1951
    I like your honesty. I can relate to a lot of what you said in regards to the scale and cycles.
    Your produce share sounds interesting! I have a veggie garden in my backyard. I have not been able to harvest that much yet. So far I have harvested lots of greens, sugar snap peas, string beans and 2 cucumbers. I do have some zucchini that should be ready in a few days. I am looking forward to that. I love zucchini.

• nsk1951
    Options
    Well .. it seems like I am finally 'back-on-track' food wise .. all that bulk and bloat has finally left and I feel more normal with a flatter and looser belly. I have steadily dropped weight this week as that all settled up in my body and found myself weighing in at 219.2 this morning. Am I back on track to finally getting back to where I was in APRIL (and then again in JUNE) and continuing on to that target of being under 215? ...
    ... I know it can be done, I just need to keep myself on an even keel with the kinds of food I consume. ... cookies, crackers, bread all lead to an abundance of bloat and overeating and that leads to consuming chocolate candy confections ... my nemesis! ... However ... I am pleased with myself this week that I was able to keep those trigger foods at bay. I did eat rye bread this week, and a couple of wheat flour Fajita style tortilla's, but no desserts or crackers or buns of any sort.

The produce bag this week had 4 zucchini and 4 yellow squash in them ... plus other stuff. Gosh, I still have greens left over from last week and a Chinese Cabbage from the week before ... NOW I REALIZE that I need to cook and consume way more vegetable produce than I have been to make this not be a waste ... and I also recognize, gratefully, that the good thing about getting these straight from the farm is that they stay fresh so much longer than the produce I buy at the grocer!

Thanks @JNettie73 , those were kind words. I think it so excellent that you have had a chance to meet up again with former students. I have been 'out of school' since 1963, and I still remember with great fondness several teachers I had during my schooling years. A good teacher has a big impact on a child for the rest of their life!

Gosh @mnwalkingqueen ... I can relate to your envy of other families and gatherings with lots of loved ones all around. My own family consisted of just the 5 of us until we kids grew up and got married. However, my parents had lots of friends who we saw frequently, but not for holidays. ... I used to call each man and woman friend of my parents "aunt and uncle" and dreamed about how it would be to have actual relatives and cousins around.

@MelodiousMermaid ... how's it going for you?

Until next week ... I hope everyone has a good one! August is just around the corner ... wow, where has this year flown away to?

• MelodiousMermaid
    Options
    @JNettie73 Thanks! Sounds like you're having a super-busy, but awesome summer!

@nsk1951 So much goodness there with your produce! And you're totally right about it staying fresher longer. I used to go to the farmer's market and recall that stuff doing really well. But then it got more expensive than Aldi's... and the almighty budget wins.

I'm doing OK, all told. The mental health war is still a war, but I'm fighting, and I'm at least winning battles where tracking and planning/limiting intake are concerned. I've been able to eat to within 100 kcal +/- target each day, and though I've had some hungry moments, I haven't had the binge urge still. I'm not confident enough to say that it's a battle won, as I'm aware that it's more of a "remission" thing, but I think this way of eating has provided a good foundation for me to stand on. I'm sure I'll falter at some point (holidays and birthdays are danger zones for me, and can set up a desire to continue overeating or binge), but for now things are where they need to be.

The scale didn't show as much loss this week as I had hoped, but I am pretty sure I know the cause. I was able to push through and get strength training in 3x this week, so I'm sure I'm retaining some water for muscle soreness/repair. I know my numbers have been where they need to be, so I just need to trust in the system and let my body do its thing.

Got a new kitchen gadget that I think is going to be a game changer for me: the Ninja Creami. I can now make ice creams, frozen yogurts, and sorbets to my heart's content. AND I can tweak recipes so that I can indulge with healthier ingredients, less calories, and increased protein. Just starting to play around with it, so no recipes to share quite yet.

Hope this week goes well for everyone.

5'1"F
    Midwest USA
    Dropped weight so far: 8.4

07/23/2022: 252.6
  • nsk1951
    Options
    d365o3sixulw.png

• skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!! Sorry I've been offline since before I left for Spain. That trip was great! My sister and I had so much fun in Barcelona. Lot's of walking, but also lots of eating and drinking, so I came back a few pounds up. Then, I was just starting to get back into my normal routine, and I had to go to a conference in downtown Chicago the first week of July. Again, we did a lot of walking, but the food choices during the day at McCormick place (convention center) weren't great, and we had a lot of decadent dinners with drinks in the evening. When I weighed in back at home, I was up another few pounds, and I've struggled to get rid of them since. So right now my weight is hovering just under the 200 mark which is not a happy place for me.

Right now I'm in southern California dog-sitting for some dear friends while they are in Europe. There's not a whole lot to do here, but I did find a place nearby with hiking trails, and my goal is to make it all the way to the top of a somewhat challenging trail before I leave next Friday. I made it most of the way up today, but I was running low on water and didn't want to risk continuing. I also stocked up on mostly healthy foods, so I'm hoping to get the nutrition back on track as well. I'm here for a total of 2 weeks, and then we start school a few days after I return to Chicago.

I skimmed through and saw some new folks and some people who've returned after an absence--welcome and welcome back to all.

@holly-- I hope your ankle is better, and I'm 100% right there with you when it comes to distaste for bugs. Ticks are my nightmare--I'm always sure I'm covered in them after being outdoors. Fortunately, I've never actually been bitten <vigorously knocks on wood>.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!!
  • MelodiousMermaid
    Options
    @skinnyjeanzbound Welcome back from your trips! Sounds like you had a great time!

Had a decent week, all things considered. Made a low-cal sorbet-ish dessert and it was an absolute winner. Having something for dessert every day that feels like dessert is an important piece of the overall puzzle for me, I think. I'm going to try to come up with a protein frozen yogurt with tasty add-ins for my high cal days this week. Hopefully it'll be as successful as this last week's kitchen experiment.

Have a good week, everyone!

5'1"F
    Midwest USA
    Dropped weight so far: 11.3

07/23/2022: 252.6
    07/30/2022: 249.7
  • nsk1951
    Options
    Welcome back @skinnyjeanzbound ... Sounds like your life is as busy and crammed full as ever! Always looking forward to progress updates from your 'neck of the woods'.

@MelodiousMermaid ... Your progress has inspired me to make some slight changes in my own eating plan ... low-cal desserts are now on the daily menu .. be it they are low cal because of portion or because of ingredients! Thanks for the inspiration.

AFM .. I had another weight gain the last week in July ... and I am not surprised that I am back to 224 pounds ... it seems like the bottom has dropped out of my stomach because that pouch just doesn't ever want to feel filled up lately. This is a very typical pattern for me ... and that's why I am still ... 11 years after starting my 'serious' weight loss efforts, that I am still only half way to where I want to be. I'd get really angry with myself about it in the past but now don't have the mental or emotional energy to get riled up at myself over it. I remember when I was all 'gung-ho' to get to the 100-pound loss mark by my 70th birthday. Well ... I sure hope it doesn't take until I hit 80! ... which is approaching at a faster clip every day ... LOL ...

As of August 1 we had 152 days left in 2022. I want to weigh less than 209 pounds on that future date ... that's my wish goal. Seeing as I really as of now only lost a little over 10 pounds so far this year ... the odds would appear stacked against me being able to actually accomplish this. And yet .. before I hit a new low weight on 6/13/22, I had lost over 18 pounds ... and that had been achieved in 163 days ... so maybe I can pull if off ... IF I CAN GET MYSELF BACK ON A BETTER ROUTINE GOING FORWARD. I am certainly going to give it a good try.

Will keep you posted as the weeks roll by.
  • JNettie73
    Options
    @nsk1951
    I love what you posted about learning to be okay with not everyone knowing your side of the story. It resonates with me.

@MelodiousMermaid
    I recently got a Ninja too. My husband bought it when Amazon was having their Prime Day. He got me the Mega Kitchen System then also bought me some accessories for it. I absolutely love it and have been using it quite often. This morning I made a watermelon smoothie. I have not heard about the one you have. Yours sounds interesting!

@skinnyjeanzbound
    Glad to hear you had fun on your trip!

Does everyone use the website or the app to log? I use both. Ever since the update I have been having issues with the app. I am finding when I open it and click the tabs it is extremely slow to respond, painfully slow. It is getting to the point that I am starting not to want to use it anymore. MFP has been such a blessing for me and so incredibly helpful. It bothers me that I am having so many issues with the app. Anyhow, that turned out to be more of a vent than anything else. I was curious if anyone else is having problems as well?

I've been doing well. I've been making healthier choices but have not been logging food much because of the issues above. I am starting to see the scale move again. This morning I weighed in at 213, still 5 lbs higher than my lowest. However last week I weighed in at 219 so I consider it a win. I believe I've mentioned this before, but I have been losing and gaining the same 5-6 lbs over and over again. I know I am the cause of that with not weighing and logging my foods. Seeing the scale under 215 this morning was very motivating. I am hoping I can get things moving again and stick with it.

Last night I made grilled butternut squash with a maple lime glaze. The recipe said to steam the squash for 10 minutes then put on the grill. I didn't do that. Well, I learned the hard way why they said to steam it. I ended up having to put it in the microwave for 4 minutes to soften it up so we can eat it. Anyhow it was really delicious. It was a bit hit with my husband and daughter. I brought some over to my neighbor and she really liked it too! The glaze was so simple, mix some maple syrup with fresh squeezed lime and a tiny bit of cinnamon.

Hope everyone has a fantastic August!
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Hi Everybody!
    sorry it has been a while my life has been a chaotic mess and extremely stressful the last couple weeks. I’m not surprised I gained almost 2 pounds in the last two weeks just because of all the eating out I’ve been doing to comfort myself. Some comfort it is right!
    Let’s see we’ll start with the fact that someone in the UK got a hold of my routing and checking account number and stole the money out of my checking account. Lucky for me the bank gave me all my money back. Then I had some work stresses and then Riley decided to eat all of his three month supply of multivitamins in five minutes when I turn my back to run upstairs for emergency bathroom break. however through all of this I have still been doing my walks in the morning with Riley and my evening walks weather permitting.
    so I apologize in advance that all my responses are pretty long but I found something to respond to in all of your posts.

@MelodiousMermaid- That is so cool how you projected your end goal. Great job on no binge urges. Hoping your movement is getting better. It’s good to acknowledge and be aware of those mental health battles and knowing you’re OK with how things are going for the moment. I was just talking to my sister about the ninja ice cream maker. Me and my sister both have KitchenAid mixers but my sister uses the ice cream attachment. I was thinking about buying that attachment so I could use my mixer more than just at holiday time because I love ice cream. I’ve been really good at not buying it when at the grocery store but culvers custard is my weakness. I will say that your post about being OK with people not knowing your side of the story. That has been my biggest struggle in putting in place over the last 2 yrs. my mother has a way of twisting every story to make the other person look like the villain. I used to worry all the time what she was saying to people and how I was being portrayed. Since Covid came I got to the point where I just don’t care you can make me look as ugly as you want to I know the truth. I love your idea about frozen yogurt I can see you’re using your ninja gadget.

@nsk1951-Summer eating is hard for me too. I love going out on the patio’s at my favorite restaurants and food trucks too. I agree with your statement about getting comfortable with setbacks. Needing breaks is why I don’t change to strict plans or not having certain foods. For myself when I was taking those brakes I would end up eating more than I should and not getting back on track until it was way too late. I am glad that you are back on track and that you know your trigger foods so well and good job of keeping them at bay. I understand your struggle with your weight I think I’ve been on this webpage quite a long time too I know it’s been over 7 years.

@JNettie73- That is so cool that you get to work with past students and see their improvements. Swimming is a good way to get exercise and tire your body out so you can sleep good. Oh I appreciate the thought of inviting me to a gathering if I was closer. I only use the app I don’t have a home computer. I do notice on my Apple phone every time they do an upgrade to the app I have problems with it for sometimes two weeks to a month. When I read what you had for butternut squash oh my gosh I got so hungry. I wish I was better at cooking healthy stuff for one person. I’ve been really weird my whole life about leftovers. I will eat them I just don’t really always know how to reheat them properly to taste good.

@karen- I am glad that your trip to Spain was so much fun. I understand totally the struggle to get him back to where you want to be after a vacation. Because when I go on vacation I tend to eat out all the time things I would never do at home like coffee every morning, snacks every day in between meals. However like you there’s also lots of walking involved because when I go on vacation somewhere I pretend like I live there meaning I take city transportation like buses or trains or trolleys or just plain old walking. What a great goal to have while you are dog sitting in California. I love sitting small goals like that or it could be big depending on the hike you’re doing. But it’s so like full of gratitude when like you actually do it. Thanks for asking my ankle has healed 100% and we no longer venture off the cemented Trail anymore just because of the whole bug thing honestly
  • JNettie73
    Options
    Just to update. I decided to delete the MFP app yesterday and reinstall it. I am now happily issue free! If only I had reinstalled it months ago. :#

I changed up my workouts again this week. I've been doing my bosu in addition to my bike. During bosu I've been focusing on my upper body. After dinner we have been going on family walks. Anyhow for kicks I jumped on the scale again this morning. I am down another lb. 4 more lbs until I reach my lowest!!!

@mnwalkingqueen
    I can relate. Sadly, my mother was the same way with twisting stories among other things. Interestingly enough it was during Covid that I also came to this realization and also decided to stop letting it get to me. Covid and then her passing made me realize she was the main source of all the stress I had in my life. It is hard because a lot of family/friends reach out to me and telling me how hard it is to lose a parent. I feel family and friends expect me to be a certain way after her passing. They don't know the dynamics of our relationship, nor do I care to rehash things with people it does not involve. Honestly, I have been able to find peace and move on with my life. My dad's passing hit me hard. It's been 4 years and I still get moments of sadness.

When it comes to reheating things, I prefer to reheat in the toaster oven or oven. Very rarely I heat things up in the microwave. One thing we like to do is make a big batch of pancakes, more than we can eat in one sitting. We wrap them up and put in the fridge. All week long my daughter has a pancake that we reheat in the toaster oven. They come out delicious!
  • nsk1951
    Options
    73vkzwkbotz4.jpg
  • nsk1951
    Options
    Saturday weigh-in Results ...
    8/6/2022 ... Not good. I don't even want to reveal the number ... it's 'for me eyes only' ... Ha! .. heck no
    I weighed in with yet another gain ... now the scale reads 225.6 ... and the doctor said ... 'I doubt you have actually gained any weight; I think it is all coming from the edema throughout your body ... here's a referral to a cardiologist. Let's get to the bottom of it before I start changing your medication." ...
    Well .. what else can I expect? Not much different. EXCEPT .. I still think it's what i am eating or how much I am eating instead of how puffy I am. Yes .. I cannot get my shoes onto my feet. Yes; my bra feels like it's strangling me. No, my pants are not tighter around the waist. Yes, I am fatigued and breathless. ... Time will tell. I called the doctor from the referral and have to wait until the middle of September before there is an opening in his schedule.

in the meantime ... I need to tighten up my own actions. On something I call 'the better path' ... What's the better path ... more active, more structured, more committed.  More discetionary about my choices.   

Have a good week everyone.

@JNettie73 ... My computer and cell phone are both also acting really slow ... and the research I have done on it said that the processors slow down over time; especially when apps are updated and old systems try to deal with the newest versions. ... It's all a business plan ... change things so that the old needs to be replaced with new models. Yes? Maybe.

@mnwalkingqueen ... I cannot image the panic you felt when someone got your bank account! Glad you were able to work it out with the bank.

• nsk1951
    Options
    Saturday Weigh-In Results. I had a 1 pound loss this week. That's very encouraging, especially since one day this week was way over my daily calorie allowance ... I went to a birthday party and ate was was served.

No one posted this past week ... Sadness, I feel lonely.

I hope everyone has had a good week and continues to have another good one this coming week.
  • mnwalkingqueen
    Options
    hey everyone just doing a quick stop in… I am not doing any way in this week because I’ve been sick with Covid so any weight loss is due to living off of chicken noodle soup for five days. However I’m starting to feel a little bit better went for a mile walk this morning but now I’m super exhausted and need to rest again.
    however I’ve had a thought going on in my head all morning… Last week I weighed in at 235 which I haven’t weighed that in 22 years. But for the same 22 years I’ve been wearing the same size clothes in 18/20 bottom and 22/24 top. My thought was how much spandex are in our women’s clothes that you can wear the same clothes at 235 pounds and 283 pounds. I just bought some new pants at the same size 18/20 and they fit like a glove.
    Anyway I think it’s time for a nap I haven’t been up for very long but I guess it’s part of recovery. Hope everybody has a wonderful weekend.
  • JNettie73
    Options
    @mnwalkingqueen
    I hope you are starting to feel better. I came down with Covid on the 11th. I am feeling better than I have been feeling but I am finding that I am getting very tired very quickly. I did get up and go outside in the backyard for a bit yesterday and again this morning but that exhausted me. I've been spending the past few days hiding out in my bedroom watching movies. But I do feel very lazy laying in bed all the time. Thankfully so far my husband and daughter have been fine and tested negative. One perk of Covid is I'm down 5 lbs. I know that will come right back once I start eating regular meals again. I'm just trying to find a positive in this. LOL
  • mnwalkingqueen
    Options
    @JNettie73- Hope you are feeling better. I am back to normal except for exercise but did walk 3 miles today.

• JNettie73
    Options
    @mnwalkingqueen
    I'm feeling much better now. My appetite isn't fully back though. My husband ended up getting sick on Monday. He is experiencing everything I had except his Covid tests came back negative. He didn't want to bother going for a PCR, he is assuming he has it too.

I am going to try to start working out again today. I hope that goes well. I miss my workouts.