If it didn't have calories, right now I would eat...

Replies

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    I’ll take the tempeh in the top two, and a few slices of the buttered bread, and if I have room maybe a little blueberry crumble, but probably not unless it isn’t as sweet as it looks.

I used to make a “pumpkin pie” for thanksgiving potlucks. No sugar. But It did have lots of onions, garlic, millet, and other savory spices. Very tasty. Not sweet. The routine was always the same:
    1. Come in and say hi
    2. Place the pie on the table with the main dinner items
    3. Go put away my coat
    4. Come back and move the pie from the dessert table back to the main meal table. It never failed that someone who thought they were being helpful put it with the desserts.

Anyone who got a piece as dessert, and especially if they dosed it with whipped cream, was in for a surprise.

If I ever do it again, I will actually make some unsweetened whipped cream, maybe with hot chile and salt, for a more fun presentation.

Oh where is that disagree button when it's clearly needed?? Pumpkin pie should only be sweet and served with whipped cream. :) (one of my favorite pies!!)

The savory version does sound intriguing and worth a taste though. :)
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    mo5zqc4zvydx.png
    This one has sumac, walnuts, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, balsamic vinegar and of course pumpkin!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    h80uvoyu04i5.jpg
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,126 Member
    @VegjoyP
    Oh. My scale went up just drooling over those tasty treats.

@ReenieHJ
    If it's not TOO sweet (and it often is) traditional pumpkin pie (or sweet potato pie) is indeed delicious, especially if the crust is done right. For an interesting touch, if you foraged some in the fall, tossing in a few dried candy cap mushrooms gives a really awesome maple flavor. If you've never had a candy cap, you're missing out.

That said, consider expanding your expectations. That savory pumpkin pie doesn't really even LOOK like a traditional pumpkin pie even if you mince the onions very fine. I slice them thin. The millet gives it texture. An egg helps hold it together, but you can make it without egg. If it makes you fell better, just call it "Winter Squash Pie." Isn't most traditional pumpkin pie made from acorn squash anyway?

For grins I did a search on savory pumpkin pie, and there's a whole lot of variations. I think I'll plan to try some out after the winter squash harvest and when it's cool enough I can run the oven.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    About 7 Skor bars, or however many make me feel almost sick.

Skor >> Heath

t09aunebvt4v.jpg

• VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,708 Member
    edited July 2022

Skor >> Heath

t09aunebvt4v.jpg

Reminds me of one of my favoriteswhen I was a kid

mhmog6hoq30w.jpg

My Aunt sent me a gift box of candy that was popular in 1972 for my 50th birthday
    What is funny is everything in it I used to eat and have zero desire for now!

byehdwxm841o.jpg
    c24eweuy4hkm.jpg

So I'm going toeither just give it away or use for Halloween kids

• VegjoyP
    ekpwha53hl1t.jpg
    56boowsfqmnu.jpg
    9xe9jix9mni2.jpg
    erfy3orh0q6v.jpg
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,585 Member
    VegjoyP wrote: »

Skor >> Heath

t09aunebvt4v.jpg

Reminds me of one of my favoriteswhen I was a kid

mhmog6hoq30w.jpg

My Aunt sent me a gift box of candy that was popular in 1972 for my 50th birthday
    What is funny is everything in it I used to eat and have zero desire for now!

byehdwxm841o.jpg
    c24eweuy4hkm.jpg

So I'm going toeither just give it away or use for Halloween kids

Ooooo I'd have the pretty colored lollipop and the (I think) Bit o Honey. And the Sugar Daddy. Everything else, I either don't know what it is or was never into it.

Pro tip: Don't google "sugar daddy" to make sure that's the name of the candy WITHOUT adding "candy" to the search words.
  • VegjoyP
    hq68ndm7qoc7.jpg
    sks6qfbipy7y.jpg
    xug4lkxmiqpk.jpg
  • PAPYRUS3
    @VegjoyP - cute idea...but yes, I can't imagine you 'chowing' down on this stuff lol! Mind you, gives me an idea for my brother...which would love this😦
  • VegjoyP
    9rbgijhgo953.jpg
    c99sft04ws6h.jpg
    9ar7zlkwstli.jpg
    q2wbhviilp0o.jpg
    f3dx1lrs662r.jpg
  • ReenieHJ
    I've come to the realization that anything and everything looks really good as long as somebody else makes it. :)
  • VegjoyP
    ip17u8b4arl3.jpg
    5rmwc6ebu8o2.jpg
    zyhskwjqjwt7.jpg
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    ip17u8b4arl3.jpg
    5rmwc6ebu8o2.jpg
    zyhskwjqjwt7.jpg

oooo yesss to those pb cookies!
  • PAPYRUS3
    @VegjoyP - omg...I want every last crumb of this last posting of yours! You really found some excellent, enticing pictures...❤️❤️
  • VegjoyP
    I love this posting way too much. lol! rqct21ibv4hm.jpg
    h8jd4nhatb43.jpg
    1cmksw2ztamj.jpg
  • skj17
    skj17 Posts: 102 Member
    n7r4m4n296cr.jpg
  • Spahnranch
    Spahnranch Posts: 3 Member
    A big glob of raw chocolate chip cookie dough. Gahhhhhhh (drooling)4jo0sexqigkf.jpeg
    And yes the entire package would be one serving.
    🐷
  • ReenieHJ
    xjrtczh4kols.png
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,585 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    xjrtczh4kols.png

Oh.

Just...oh.