What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• TicTacToo
    TicTacToo Posts: 76 Member
    30 min swim. Got distracted in a backstroke lap and didn't count six strokes past the flags... thwacked my head into the wall and hurt my neck. That'll learn me :-(
  • TicTacToo
    briscogun wrote: »
    C25K, Week 6 Day 1… Check!

Ran a little faster today which was odd, I’m usually horribly slow and today was just slow. Ended up having to extend my route around the block, my usual 2.3 miles turned into 2.5 somehow.

So far so good!

Awesome! Segways have a speed dial marked "turtle" and "hare". So nice to move beyond turtle!
  • CoffeeNstilettos
    CoffeeNstilettos Posts: 2,594 Member
    Yoga and a 7K run
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,965 Member
    Roughly7k row in bow of the double, with some power 10s thrown in this morning. This evening, easy pace short group bike ride on paved country roads, little over 9 miles, 10.6mph average moving speed.

For your amusement, this is the kind of heart rate graph I can get when I forget to bring my heart rate chest belt transmitter to the river - wrist HRM loses contact because of arm flexion when rowing. Yep, it thinks my heart rate was 30-some bpm for quite a stretch there. 🤣 Based on this, device estimates 93 calories for a 7k row. I don't think so. 🤣

nywghig92iuk.png
  • R3d_butt3rfly_
    R3d_butt3rfly_ Posts: 1,506 Member
    I did a 45 minute glute session. Then 15 minutes of core and then I went for a 30 minute walk.
  • TicTacToo
    edited August 2022
    2km on rowing machine while mentally reciting "legs, back, arms", then 45min strength training

@AnnPT77 The friendly surf lifesaver/Masters rowing dude I met a few days ago is going to coach me through the basics next Tuesday :-)
  • AnnPT77
    TicTacToo wrote: »
    2km on rowing machine while mentally reciting "legs, back, arms", then 45min strength training

@AnnPT77 The friendly surf lifesaver/Masters rowing dude I met a few days ago is going to coach me through the basics next Tuesday :-)

If he knows what he's doing, that'll be great.

(Note that in rowing, "masters" just means old people, post-collegiate basically, age 21+.
    I was a masters rower from the day I first started rowing, because I didn't start until I was in my 40s. Though it sounds bizarre in words, there are masters novices. (Novice = first year of rowing). https://usrowing.org/sports/2016/6/28/6126_132107073803837238.aspx)
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,903 Member
    Cardio Thursday, so 5km on the elliptical doing hill work.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    I was fairly stiff and sore after Sunday's race, so Monday and Tuesday were rest and PT days. Last night we did another very nice open water swim. Flat calm water, still very comfortable for swimming without a wetsuit. My training partner has another race this fall, so he went 3500yds, while I took a leisurely 2000 yd swim. I'll plan to get out on the bike tonight for an hour or so.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,094 Member
    edited August 2022
    Stress level 15 out of 10 today at work. My first instinct was to do a treadmill run to vent my stress. But having not done any strength training the last 12 days, I forced myself to do some today before preparing dinner instead of running.

2 sets of each:
    Dumbbell bench press
    Assisted pull-ups
    Dumbbell shoulder press
    Barbell rack pulls
    Dip bar leg raises

Didn't help my stress level like running does, but doing a recomp isn't really going to work if I only strength train every 2 weeks 🙄
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited August 2022
    Normally, I've been doing an easy cardio day on Thursday, but Golf season ended last week (which was Thursday night). Since I haven't been to the gym in like, well, forever, I thought I'd switch out my golf night for a gym night away from home -- I work from home so I'm always at home!

The issue is, I keep my lifting and hard cardio days the same, so even though I did a harder cardio session on Tuesday, did another today. With all that going through my head, I programmed the interval workout wrong -- I put in 4 X 2K with only one minute rest (not 3 like it's supposed to be). Just said heck with it and went with it. Ended up finishing with a 2:11 average. Not bad considering the last round, with three minute recoveries was only 2:10. Brutal cardio workout!

Going to do a bit heavier weights tonight. Been doing tons of reps of lighter to middle of the road weights. Will take advantage of the gym to go heavier now. Although we're still members at Planet Fitness -- not a fan. Very, very hard to even get a dumbbell in the one I go to, much less any free weight benches -- they are never, ever open. The two or three they have always have someone planted in them for the entire duration of the time that I go, so I'm relegated to mostly machines.

Might have to break down this year and get some heavier equipment at home. I have really heavy KBs and Adjustable Dumbbells up to 55 lbs each, but nothing like a heavy barbell for benches, squats or deadlifts (or a rack/cage). I'd like a Landmine setup because they are so versatile.
  • AnnPT77
    Very short bike ride today, mostly because of poor time management (late start, when I had to go supervise open rowing at 6pm). So, just a bit under 11 miles at 10.8mph moving average.

Then off to open rowing. Often, when I supervise (which mostly means help others carry boats and stuff), I don't row. But with a meters goal for the week, I decided to take out a recreational (wider) single, and row short oblongs (maybe 1250m x river width) in the vicinity of the boathouse, so I could keep an eye on things in case someone arrived late. Thanks - probably - to a steady light rain, there were no latecomers, just the 2 guys who were on time.

Ended up accumulating a little over 7500m, with rain during the first hour at temps in mid-70s F (not unpleasant, once you're rowing). Then it stopped for the 2nd almost-hour. There's been debris (boards) in the river from a bridge repair project (accidental drops, I think) - very annoying. I missed them all, fortunately. You don't want to hit stuff like this in these boats, and they're hard to see in amongst duckweed and such. One of the other rowers flipped his racing single - something he's done repeatedly, unfortunately - but without help from the debris . . . some kind of technical issue. 🤷‍♀️

More total volume than usual this week so far; HRrest suggests I'm not overdoing CV-wise, but I can tell my legs are starting to accumulate some fatigue.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Went to the gym last night. Enjoyed it for a nice change of pace.

A few things I missed -- inner/outer leg machines, leg press, incline situp bench. And the benches (at least in the dumbbell section) were mostly open, so that was a pleasant surprise. Sore this AM, moreso in my shoulders and chest/arms. Did a lot of heavier flies, probably why. Looking forward to an easy cardio day today.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    @MikePfirrman - I'm missing the gym at the moment, too. I usually take a 12 week pause over the summer during vacation and race season. But now that the break is almost over, I'm ready to see my trainer and itching to get back to it in September.

I took a solo ride from the house last night. Just an hour route along the Farmington River. Didn't push too hard, except during my favorite 3 mile stretch, a wooded rolling slight downhill with just enough turns to make it exciting. 17 miles done.

Hope to get back to my running progression work tonight if the weather holds.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    C25K: Week 6 Day 2… CHECK!

Sunday should be fun. 22 min run no stops.😳. Bring it on!
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,903 Member
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Didn't help my stress level like running does...

Really? Personally I find it VERY therapeutic to toss around heavy pieces of iron, grunting the entire time, lol.

Speaking of which, today was full-body-Friday:

Deadlifts
    Hack Squats
    DB Press & DB Row
    DB Shoulder Triset (Front, Side, Rear)
    DB Curls & Lying DB Extends
  • AnnPT77
    Back on the river for the 5th day in a row, this time rowing bow in the double for the just slightly under 7k.

We kept it pretty-easy steady state, because on top of leg fatigue I slept abysmally last night (worse than my usual terrible sleep, even) and was feeling that; my double partner had spent 6 hours driving yesterday, so was in favor of gentle-ish work, too. Harmony (and moderate pace) prevailed.

That'll be it for formal exercise today, I'm thinking. River again tomorrow should put me well over the 40k on water I was hoping to get in this week, and I'm betting there'll be at least one quad with people who want to do power pieces.
  • CoffeeNstilettos
    CoffeeNstilettos Posts: 2,594 Member
    I ran 5K this morning. I was planning on going to a spin class but I'm feeling really tired. I think I need to rest 😊
  • AnnPT77
    edited August 2022
    nossmf wrote: »

Really? Personally I find it VERY therapeutic to toss around heavy pieces of iron, grunting the entire time, lol.

(snip report of good workout that I wouldn't choose for myself, even though my choice may be dysfunctional)

Diversity makes the world interesting, I guess? I sure think it does: It would be tedious if we all thought the same things, y'know?

Not only does tossing around heavy pieces of iron not seem therapeutic psychologically to me, it actively kind of irritates me, definitely bores me . . . even though doing it is good for me and I'd never deny that.

I do try, sometimes, and it lasts for a while, but . . . ugh. 🤣

Sincerely, I'm glad you found your happy activity - I wish that for everyone. (Bonus for sure if both CV and strength boxes get ticked in the process, absolutely.)
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,094 Member
    nossmf wrote: »

Maybe that's my issue, I don't grunt enough 😁

Much better stress relief today for me: a 12km treadmill run in 1h22. Mostly a steady pace, but accelerating the final 10 minutes or so, for the simple reason that I wanted to finish my run before our pizza arrived 😆

I've had more days without exercise this week than planned. Not sure if I'll hit my intended mileage this week: still at least
    13km - preferably 17km - left to run on Saturday and Sunday (and Saturday I'm spending most of the day with my parents). We'll see!