August 2022 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    @eleanorhawkins I'm so sorry that the Omeprazole messed up the tests and that you have to do them over. I'm sorry that you also had to DNS your race. I think it was probably the best call though. I hope you can get all of this figured out and get to feeling better very soon.

@polskagirl01 Good luck on your race Saturday!

Everyone has been doing great with their runs this week. :)

It stormed on Monday, so I wasn't able to get out to do my foundation run. I'll try to catch it up later this week - maybe do two runs tomorrow, if I can work it out. Yesterday was a tempo run for 4.1 miles. Today was a Z1 recovery; however, it started pouring rain sooner than expected, and we had lightning alerts, so it was cut way short. We have high chances of rain all week, which stinks. I don't mind the rain, but I don't want to run if it is lightning. Maybe tomorrow will work out better.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,936 Member
    I'm three days behind. Trying to catch up, so be patient with me. LOL

@martaindale I talk to myself all of the time. It makes me glad that people use those earbuds for talking on the phone because I figure people just assume I am actually talking to someone other than myself. LOL Good luck with the marathon training. It is exciting.

Thanks @Teresa502 ! I hope you enjoy your hike this weekend and look forward to some pictures later.

@polskagirl01 Glad that your runs are going so much better.

Nice running @shanaber. The last time I looked at the Run the World map we were nearing CA. Thanks for the description of the things we will be passing. I hope we have a nice run with you and Hobbes. :wink:

@eleanorhawkins It sounds like you are making wise decisions, even if they are really hard ones. Hang in there and I hope you figure out what is going on soon.

Glad you didn't get flooded out @Scott6255 .

@eleanorhawkins I just read the description of the pain you had on the 23rd. I agree that that doesn't sound like acid reflux at all. It sounds more like gall bladder or appendix to me. Did they check that out? It know we are all throwing everything we can think of out there and we aren't doctor's, but we care. I remember when my brother had appendicitis every little bump made the pain horrible. That's why I brought that up.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,425 Member
    @yirara that doesn't sound pleasant, but seems like you know your body and have accepted it. That's great!

Got in another 6 miles this afternoon

exercise.png
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,654 Member
    @tarun_yadavA we didn't say you had to do ALL your runs slowly, just the majority of them ;-) As a general rule, most basic training plans include one session of speedwork in one form or another as well as a long (slow) run and easy runs. The 80:20 school of thinking is quite an interesting thing to read up on if you're interested. I think it's Matt Fitzgerald who does 80:20 training plans and stuff, whereby 80% of your runs are easy and the other 20% are hard. Pretty sure there are a few in this group who have used his plans/methods and can provide more insight!

• tarun_yadavA
    tarun_yadavA Posts: 1,080 Member
    @tarun_yadavA we didn't say you had to do ALL your runs slowly, just the majority of them ;-) As a general rule, most basic training plans include one session of speedwork in one form or another as well as a long (slow) run and easy runs. The 80:20 school of thinking is quite an interesting thing to read up on if you're interested. I think it's Matt Fitzgerald who does 80:20 training plans and stuff, whereby 80% of your runs are easy and the other 20% are hard. Pretty sure there are a few in this group who have used his plans/methods and can provide more insight!

Thanks! Will Google! 😊
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,936 Member
    Great running @kgirlhart . I'm glad the skunks try to avoid you. I think they usually do, unless you startle them.

Great run @tarun_yadavA . Yes, as @eleanorhawkins said, not all runs should be slow. I am one of those that follow the 80/20 running of Matt Fitzgerald and it seems to work well for me and makes sense. I bought his book that is called "80/20 Running" and read it all. It makes a lot of sense to me. The book has training plans for 5K, 10K, HM, and Marathons. I'm using a modified HM plan now to get ready for a 10 mile race in December. I think, for me, I need to run a little bit further on some of the weekday runs than I go with my slow as a snail pace for the times he has in the plan. We'll see how that works. I'm just now starting the plan again. I used it for my first HM last year. My HM was a horrible virtual one, but I just think it was that my body that day was NOT feeling as good as normal. I started having issues around mile 6 and I had been running at least 10 miles before feeling really tired and had ran 12 miles and walked one a lot easier than I ran that "race." But, because of that, I want to put add few more miles to the plan (I hope).