Less Alcohol ~ AUGUST 2022 ~ One Day At A Time

Options

Replies

• Lilylady3k
    Lilylady3k Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    @sarah7591 - We've all come a long way. Some have lots of practice and others still have their training wheels on. Me I couldn't even count or remember the number of drinks I had each night nor the last time I had an AF evening back in 2018 when I found this thread during a Christmas break. Now I can claim "some" AF days each month and "usually" I keep it to 2 drinks each evening ... but I'm not perfect. None of us are. But it is wonderful to have someone to help chat through our own ups and down.
    Thanks for checking in again this month! Keep looking for the small changes ... like maybe a water after each drink ... that too is less alcohol! Whatever your goal ... make it simple and feel the accomplishment of making the steps.
    Good luck! And come back to post often.
  • Lilylady3k
    Options
    @MissMay - I'm nosy too LOL We want to hear your plans for this transition.
    The concert sounds like a blast last weekend and especially after selling your home!
  • RockinRobyn672
    RockinRobyn672 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Hey Team! August is challenging for me since every single weekend is packed full with either friends/family visiting or us traveling to see them.

Goal: 16 AF days for the month; no more than 7 in a week.

8/15 M - Drinks - Last day with our guests.
    8/16 Tu - Drinks
    8/17 W - AF
    8/18 Th - Drinks
    8/19 F - Drinks - Hanging out with family in NC for the weekend
    8/20 Sa - Drinks
    8/21 Su - Drinks - Celebrated MIL's 93rd birthday
    8/22 M - AF - Home again, home again, jiggity-jig ... well you know the rest (lol)
    8/23 Tu - Drinks - Had 2 glasses of wine at dinner. We're heading out for a camping trip on Thursday. I'm not going to meet my goals this month but I'm finding that tracking is still extremely helpful.
    8/24 W - Drinks
    8/25 Th - Heading out today for a long weekend camping with our son and friends. Yay! It won't be AF but I plan to limit the daily intake. I am taking a surprisingly good NA IPA that I found.

Rolling total: 5 AF out of 24 days
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,553 Member
    Options
    @joans1976

Thanks for asking about my sleep. I have had sleep issues since I was a little girl, too busy of a brain. It is what it is.

@lmlmrn
    I bought some bitters at the gin tasting place, mostly because I remembered you talking about them.
    You are getting very close to finishing your house projects : - )

@Lilylady3k
    Yes, those 6 bottles of expensive wine would have funded quite a bit of the holiday that you were trying to plan. One whole month without any booze probably would have paid for the entire trip. Quite interesting that your DH is worried about the cost of the trip yet is freely spending money on something that is not creating memories like a trip could, and only has fleeting effects. I totally get that you would not be wanting to have a fight by showing actual numbers to him, but your own priorities are being put on the back burner because of it. Where were you hoping to go on travels?
  • dawnbgethealthy
    Options
    I am Dawn. I joined this thread in November of 2018

My usual goal: 16-20 AF per month.
    I had 19AF days for July.

Diary style (I post the next morning)

Saturday August 20 - AF - I am sure that I can get 5 more AF days in this month to reach my AF goal.
    Sunday August 21 - AF - I really felt like having drinks, but had a mock cherry sling, which felt like it was giving me the little buzz that I was looking for lol. Busy day Monday, so it was best to be AF. I may have a couple of cocktails Tuesday night after work.
    Monday August 22 - AF - Long workday with my 2 jobs, felt like having drinks (like usual) afterward, but didn't. My waistline (and weight) sure does reduce after AF days.
    Tuesday August 23 - 2 drinks, felt like a 3rd but knew that would be too much. Enjoyed the flavour and my little "buzz". 7 days to get 3 more AF days in, pretty sure that I can do it.
    Wednesday August 24 - AF - Made myself a mocktail with bitters instead of any of my flavour extracts. It was okay, I prefer the banana, orange or cherry extracts in these drinks. Bitters are almost 50% alcohol, so I used just 3 drops.
    Thursday August 25 - AF - Planned drinks Friday and or Saturday. Getting close to my goal of 16. Working a split shift on Friday, so that would be nice for me to kick back and have a couple of drinks after that.

Rolling total: 15AF days out of 25 days
  • joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    Options
    @MissMay My best friend (46 years old) got diagnosed with cancer last September. Her husband and I were her primary caregivers. When she got put on hospice care two weeks before her passing, family came out of the woodwork. Both her husbands and hers. There was so. Much. Drama. I just wanted to scream “isn’t this terrible enough? Why are you acting like this?” Thankfully she had written down her funeral wishes and her husband and I went to the funeral home, alone, and planned it all. Humans can be terrible at grieving. I know I certainly don’t know what the heck I’m doing.
    And you’re moving during all this too…I can’t imagine. My parents are packing right now, moving September 9. It’s a nightmare and they are only moving 20 minutes away, not across the country! You are a very strong person!
  • globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    @ahoy_m8 big hugs for you and I know you have a very extraordinary amount of hell to deal with at this time. Lots of deep breaths, lots of patience, prayer or wherever you draw strength from.

For you and all of us really, when life smacks you upside the face (yes been there too many times)...trust me on this one, choose to lift yourself up because it's in your power and control to do it, as super-difficult as it sounds, but ask for strength to come to you and lean on good friends for support. If you believe in a higher power, do it and ask for what you need. Lift yourself first, then lift others around you.

My past 48 hours sucked, not as much as some of you. I'm OK and you will be too.
  • Lilylady3k
    edited August 2022
    Options
    My oldest son, his wife and baby ~8months and their 2 dogs are staying with us until their AC is fixed. So Thurs-Wed I believe. Meals have been crazy times which I need to begin planning instead of just letting things get picked up or eating out! Example they bought bagel sandwiches for breakfast, then we had Popeyes fried chicken for lunch and Grimaldi's pizza for dinner at the restaurant.

The house is crazy messy with all their "stuff" in the kitchen and dining room which are open concept and basically in the den. Today I need to get some semblance of order to it all. It didn't help that Thursday I started sanding and painting the walls around the windows which were damaged last spring when we replaced all the windows in the house. But now at least the blinds and curtains for the 7 windows in the kitchen are back up! Yesterday we cleaned the wood blinds which really needed it being in the kitchen. Need to do the same for the 2 windows in the den ... paint paint paint touchups are needed everywhere!
    Also went plant shopping and bought beautiful flowers for the pot at the front door as well and some new indoor plants to scatter around the house. Working towards decorating for fall which I want to finish before next weekend since we are having everyone over for my sister's 60th birthday and the LSU football game on Sunday evening 9/4. I have time and can get this done!

Vacation wise ... I'm going to plan something not sure what. But DH would like it to be under $10K instead of the >$20K trip + flights I almost booked.
    https://www.tauck.com/tours/venice-dalmatian-coast-cruise?tcd=dc2023

Good news! All of us were AF last night (Fri)! Red wine for steak night on Thursday. I think I'll make my 12 AF days this month!

August accountability: 11 days AF
    Alcohol: 15 days (32 drinks)
    Goal: Limit 1-2 glasses per day; 12-16 AF days per month. Aim to drink no more than 2 nights in a row.

• dawnbgethealthy
    Options
    @Lilylady3k

I watched the video from your link. It looks amazing!!!