August 2022 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,885 Member
    @AlphaHowls I know that I have probably asked you where you live before. I just don't recall it being TN. Not many people in this area grow tobacco anymore. In my younger years, almost everyone did. My brother and I loved to set it out in the spring. Cutting it, not so much. LOL

Another nice run @tarun_yadavA . Knoxville is about 1.5 hours away from where I live. I'm near Greeneville in E. TN - the home of Andrew Johnson, our 17th president. I think it is a really pretty area.
  • tarun_yadavA
    tarun_yadavA Posts: 1,057 Member
    @AlphaHowls I know that I have probably asked you where you live before. I just don't recall it being TN. Not many people in this area grow tobacco anymore. In my younger years, almost everyone did. My brother and I loved to set it out in the spring. Cutting it, not so much. LOL

Another nice run @tarun_yadavA . Knoxville is about 1.5 hours away from where I live. I'm near Greeneville in E. TN - the home of Andrew Johnson, our 17th president. I think it is a really pretty area.

@quilteryoyo wow! It's such a pretty state! Only had 2 nights when I went last year - so spent it with a friend and just hung out downtown. Breweries, whiskies and BBQ. Loved every second of it! Would love to go back again!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,373 Member
    edited August 2022
    I am loving all the pictures of the places everyone runs!
    @tarun_yadavA - beautiful picture of London. I too like it all lit up after dark.
    @AlphaHowls - I am so envious of your beautiful landscape and tree canopied running trail! Fantastic running this month and nice sendoff for your shoes! None of mine have quite that much yet. I think I have one pair with around 600 miles that are still going strong. I am hanging on to them because I don't like the newer model of the same shoe and the model I have is not available anywhere that I have found.
    I am not much of a barn aficionado but like @quilteryoyo I love old churches. The ones throughout Europe are just amazing, even in the smallest villages.
    @polskagirl01 - I was thinking C2-10K and maybe starting in the middle or so where the intervals are close to what you are currently doing. I keep hoping I will get to where I don't need to walk anymore but right now that isn't happening.
    That gnome girl looks like she has a running shoe on. Hopefully she wasn't out for a run when she got run over!
    @Teresa502 - what a fantastic hike! So beautiful. How did you like the camping?
    @eleanorhawkins - wow you got that long run in and done! Hope your stomach or whatever it was doesn't get angry this time! Maybe the ice cream is just what you needed 😊

All this talk about cheesecake and BBQ has me wanting some (sorry not much of a pizza fan). I think TN BBQ is some of the best anywhere!

Yesterday Hobbes and I went for a short ~3.5 mile walk/hike around a lake with some friends and 2 of their Vizslas. It was fun and the pups had a great time. I took a couple of pictures of the scenery but we didn't take a single picture of the pups.
    ETA - Pictures
    z0zrclgizb4x.jpeg
    b65nbeh8xz10.jpeg
    I thought that doing the walk yesterday was the perfect recovery day activity after my SIT run on Saturday. Apparently my legs did not agree. Today is the last day of reasonable temps for the foreseeable future and I really wanted to get in a good run. My legs were not happy, never loosened up and complained the entire time. Even walking the last mile home was an issue. I did however make the 100 mile club again - yay! I have lots to do tomorrow but will fit in a strength session (upper body and core only) and hopefully get a short run on Wednesday to close out the month. We have 'excessive heat' warnings already up and it is supposed to be well over 100F for the next 10 days. Good news though the humidity is finally going down.
    For our Run The World team, we are just about at the AZ border. Unfortunately it is going to be brutally hot and dry for the next bit of running across AZ and on to NM as we head over to Dallas. Make sure you are hydrating well!
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Thanks @shanaber for setting up September. Those are really beautiful pics!

Great job getting 16 miles @eleanorhawkins! You are a beast for doing that much after you have been feeling so poorly. Hope you stay healthy!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,373 Member
    shanaber wrote: »
    ...I took a couple of pictures of the scenery but we didn't take a single picture of the pups.
    We will now all do our best Hobbes impressions and look at you judgingly.

😂😂😂
  • tarun_yadavA
    tarun_yadavA Posts: 1,057 Member
    @tarun_yadavA If you do ever come back to TN, let me know. Maybe we could meet up for a run walk or drink.

@Teresa502 I'm glad your ankle held up for the hike. You're views were amazing. Looks like a perfect day for it. Just beautiful skies.

@eleanorhawkins Great job with another 16 miles. If you continue to feel well, you should be able to complete Sunday's race. No pressure here, but you are doing great. I hope your stomach doesn't rebel...after all, you did reward it with ice cream. It should be happy. Right? :wink:

@polskagirl01 Nice bike ride and interesting things you found. The little doll is cute. I hope you make it up to the mountains tomorrow.

@shanaber Thanks for setting up next month's challenge. Love the pictures of the lake. I'm sure that Hobbes and the other pups had a great time. Be careful with those excessive heat days and we'll all be sure to hydrate while running in AZ. I need to put my mileage in - I do it manually and haven't taken the time in the last week. Won't be much, but will move us along.

I didn't work today. Mom and I went to town to do our shopping and look at gas heaters. I think we have talked her into getting one so that she doesn't have to bother with putting wood into a wood stove. It was getting hard for her to do last year. We had looked into pellet stoves, but decided she'd still need help to keep that going, so we're going to try a gas one. She's not real comfortable with gas, but this one seems to be really safe and is small but powerful. The guy was supposed to call me this afternoon with a price and possible delivery/install date, but he didn't. I'll have to give him a call tomorrow.

When I got home, I was beat. As I said before, I always am after a trip to town. So weird. Anyway, I rested for a couple of hours, maybe napped a little, then went out and did my planned Fast Finish Run on the driveway. It was 88°F, but there was a slight breeze and it is mostly shady, so thought it would be okay. It felt fine when just standing there. :lol: It really wasn't too bad until about 1.5 miles into the run. I stopped for a drink of water and then had a hard time getting going again. I felt like I was fading fast, but did manage to do the last 5 minutes of the run at a 10:48 min/mile average pace. The other 1.8 miles was at 13:38 min/mile pace.

With that and my warm up and cool down walks, I did a total of 3.1 miles today. That brings my monthly total to 65.6 miles/62.0 mile goal....so have exceeded my goal with 2 days left in the month. Haven't done that in a long time.

@quilteryoyo hahaha! Love it! Definitely! 😊

PS: Tennessee bbq is great! Went to a place called Calhoun's - don't know if any good or not as per locals but I loved it
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,885 Member
    @rps67 Yeah for your progress on C25K and that your daughters are liking running with you.

@tarun_yadavA I have never had the BBQ at Calhoun's, but it is a decent restaurant. Another nice run in the books for you.

@yirara Sorry your run was so horrible, but you did it! I hope you are feeling better today. How did you bump your head?