Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Still catching up, but have to whoosh ((hugs)) to Beth. Praying surgeon can understand how risky your mom’s being far away from family support is. ((hugs))
    Karen in VA, conVERYgratulations on leaving “obese” behind. Is your Buy Nothing group local? Thanks for sharing your Swedish Death Cleaning and epiphany about giving away the things your mother loved. And Amen! To your comment to Nikki in TX about the pool lift.
    Nikki please squeak good! Fall prevention is not a luxury.
    Vicki it really frosts me that insurance companies resist covering chiropractic maintenance. It almost forces the chiropractor’s billing office to code a “new” injury. :rage:

Through page 51.

Done:
    8/22: Move: 1.75 set pt, ine dance class. steps: 6029
    Fuel: plants (running count for week) +12+11 so far: banana, basil, carrot, celery, cucumber, garlic, lentils, mushrooms-cremini, parsley, peanuts, pecans, pineapple, potatoes, radish, romaine, scallions, snap peas, spices (black pepper, cinnamon, cumin, paprika), spinach, tomato concentrate, watercress, watermelon, wheat(naan). CI<CO=856
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, emails and handouts, reconciled checking, paid visa, freezer purge pineapple curry and naan, fire hall check in.
    Wt: 138.5
    Lighter, lovelies!

Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD

2022: Be still and listen.
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    My Brother had to take my Mom’s car away from her when she first started showing signs of Alzheimer’s. It started out that she was driving to town 8-10 times a day and couldn’t afford it. At one point she called me because her car wouldn’t start and my brother (a mechanic) was too busy to look at it. When I called him to ask about it he told me she had ran it out of gas and luckily it was in the driveway. He did put gas in it, but she was soon getting lost and not knowing her way home. It was 7 miles outside of town through 4 miles of woods. He unhooked a wire so that she thought the car wasn’t working again. He sold it shortly after that. She was upset, and I think the loneliness exacerbated the Alzheimer’s, but it was for her safety.

Tracey in Edmonton

My grandfather also developed dementia, starting in his 70s if I recall correctly.

I remember that one of his early symptoms was repeating himself frequently, and it seems that is quite common in people with dementia.
    https://www.scie.org.uk/dementia/living-with-dementia/difficult-situations/repetition.asp

But at some point along the way, he had to give up driving too. I don't remember how easy/difficult the process of giving up driving was for him, but I do remember that my grandmother had to learn to drive in her 60s!!!

My husband can no longer drive either but, as I mentioned, he gets around on foot or by bus which is good. And I try to take him places most weekends. I know that being social is important for him so despite the fact that I'd rather stay in bed most weekends and not go anywhere or deal with anything, we do get out and about.

I had to relearn to drive.

Katla, I've been glad to see that your daughter is taking you out now and then. Hopefully when your husband gets a bit better he might be able to go out for walks with you or to help you with other transportation as Kim mentions below ...

GodMomKim wrote: »
    Katla – my heart goes out to you. Please work with your daughter or staff at the assisted living community to find/learn about the other transportation options in the area you are. Maybe the assisted living community has a shuttle bus that can take you to the store, hairdresser etc… or you could learn how to use the Lyft or Uber app on your phone. I am guessing that the issue for you is less the physical car, but more the freedom to go when and where you want. And other transportation might help.

Machka in Oz

Yes. I believe repeating things, as if it is new information is a warning sign. At least, for me, after two or three times, never mind dozens of times, I figure something has gone wrong. And I am heartbroken.

We were lucky, I guess, that with all of my mom's mobility issues, completely bedridden now, can't even sit in a wheelchair, her mind is sharp. She realized on her own a few years ago that she was not safe to drive. My niece sold my mom's car a few months ago because my mom was tired of paying for insurance on it.

I think it's harder for people with dementia because apparently they can't see what is happening, or don't remember why things are happening. I assume that was the case with my coworker's dad who, upon finding his car missing, had a rental brought to him.

As a family member, trying to negotiate dementia must be so difficult, because you end up being the villain by just trying to enforce safety measures.

Flea
    Willamette Valley OR
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    DH is getting terrific support in our senior facility. I am in favor of the good support he is getting. That support is excellent.

I am homesick for our Oregon home. I am grateful to be with my husband and wish we were both at home. When he is better we will decide what is best for us.

I know you miss Oregon and your river. I thought of you as I crossed the Columbia on Sunday and how much you and your husband loved watching the birds and the ships.

I am happy your husband is getting good care and that you are together.

Much love to you, from a fellow Oregonian.

Flea
    Willamette Valley OR
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Walk/slow jog w/yogi- 1hr 29min 58sec, 4.01ap, 53elev, 111ahr, 156mhr, 6.03mi= 608c
    Strava app = 739c
    Walk home to gym- 11.13min, .53mi= 53c
    Strava app = 66c
    Lateral machine-20min, 10w, 4l, 108ahr, 139mhr, 2.20mi= 174c
    Walk gym to store then home- 34.55min, 1.87mi= 173c
    Strava app = 230c

Total cal 1009

Been slacking off on going to the gym. Started back up today
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    1948CWB wrote: »
    Karen in VA ~ I looked up Swedish Death Cleaning and boy how I wish my husband would get aboard with that. It makes me quake to think of all the mess our son will have to deal with once we pass! So bad that I can't sleep thinking about it sometimes. Husband will not voice any opinion about what to do when/if he passes before me so I will be in a pickle when it happens.

Rant:
    We took over his parent's house when they passed (both died the same night after he had a heart attack and she had one helping him). The house was filled with their furnishings, all the contents of an antique shop they had owned, and all the belongings of both their families that has passed before them. Since moving here, DH spent years and years going to estate sales and added much, much more to the piles. He will not make any effort to dispose of this and it will all be left up to our son!

Carol in Ga

Carol - not sure how things work in Georgia, but around here a person can grab whatever personal items they want then turn the house over to an auction company and let them go thru, price, haul away and sell. Your son might have the option of doing that. :)

I worry about that a little too.

Karen had good ideas letting Habitat for Humanity or a similar charity come in and do the hard work if your son doesn't need income.

Hard to think about this stuff, but as my attorney said, "don't worry about leaving a mess for the survivors/beneficiaries, let them figure it out." :D

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    ❤️
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,118 Member
    Options
    Katla I'm happy that you were able to touch base with your friend from Oregon. Those connections are very important to our wellbeing 💞

Heather I'm so excited for you 💞 your DH is showing you how much you mean to him 💞 how romantic 💞

💝 Mary from Arizona/ Minnesota
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,128 Member
    Options
    ☘️
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    Sweet mother of Mercy..can I chop my head off at the neck? All this sneezing is sending me over the edge.. cold meds not helping.. flonase not helping changed all the hosing and stuff on my Cpap and hopefully that helps,but even though I have it on ,im still sneezing away. Sheesh.. my eyes are itching im just a hot mess and I dont like feeling this way one darn bit.. especially taking care of Miles.
    I had to miss out on a nice meal with my friends tonight because i was feeling so horrible.

Allie - are you able to take Zyrtec or Claritin? Those are a couple that help me.

Lanette B)
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi all! It’s a nice evening after a hot day! I already have about 1000 steps more than I did yesterday on my pedometer. Don’t know if I told you but our beagle was in the hospital with pneumonia. We were blaming doggy day care but then our trainer called us last night and said that the only other dog in our class also has it! She’s better now, but it was rough. Our usual vet just gave her another week of antibiotics.

Michele: I see you are still doing your ceramics!

SueBDew: nice to see you too! I also missed the friendships!

Rori: you had a great summer and I’m glad for you! Now you need to come see me! I owe you for all your hospitality when DH was there! `

Grandmallie: yes, keep that cpap clean!

Katla: I’m sorry you had your license taken away; I missed that story but see it here now. Must be very frustrating and annoying for you! Is there anything you can do to get it back? So glad you got to talk to a neighbor!

Oh, Heather. You are still quite the cook. I’m waiting for my dinner invitation! And your cruise looks awesome!

RocinMBC: welcome!

I know I didn’t answer everyone, but dinner is calling! DH has taken over most of the cooking since he’s come home. Take care, Meg from Omaha