Atkins Support Group

Options

Replies

• dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Welcome Lynn and Malena! Always great to have more low carb'ers here :)

If you'd like some low carb recipes, I have a bunch on my website below(shameless plug), and I add more all the time. If you have any recipes you'd like to share, just let me know and I'll post them to the site too!

Also, if you're on Atkins, go to atkins.com and register. They'll send you a free kit with a carb counting book, recipes, and 3 free bars along with some coupons!
  • ncwingnut71
    ncwingnut71 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome!

dittiepe, your recipes look really good!! Especially the pumpkin bake - I LOVE pumpkin. Any idea how many servings for that one? May try the pork medallions this weekend also :) By your webpage title, I take it you are in Pittsburgh? I grew up in Uniontown (35 miles south) and my hubby has family that we visit in McKeysport and Glassport.
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Yeah! I found part 3...i was getting worried!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am fairly new to the community and I am also doing Low Carbs and High Protein. Was wondering if I can join your group so I can learn more about this lifestyle? I don't want to call it a diet because that seems temporary to me. I am looking for a more permanent change to my life.

Hi and welcome to the group. Are you doing a particular plan? I am asking as Low Carb is more intended to be higher fat, moderate protein and low carb eating.

The reason is fat provides a lot of things to the body to include Energy, Satiety (so your satisfied and end up eating less), even insulin levels and better over all body functions.

Protein - if eaten in excess will convert to glucose in the liver and can cause an insulin response just like you had eaten a heavy carb.

When trying to lose weight it is best to ensure even and normal blood glucose levels so that insulin is not spiking up and down.

I hope I am not sounding preachy, just passing on some information that I have learned about myself recently that I want to share and pass on.
  • HeartLunger
    Options
    Turned down birthday cake at work today. I didn't want it to throw me out of ketosis and I also was afraid that the super sweetness would make me sick. Kinda proud of myself. *pats self on back*
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Turned down birthday cake at work today. I didn't want it to throw me out of ketosis and I also was afraid that the super sweetness would make me sick. Kinda proud of myself. *pats self on back*

Good job! :drinker:
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I don't know about you, but I find it easier to turn down sweets when I'm eating low carb. While just watching calories I feel like I can work it in but knowing that it'll blow my whole carb intake for the day by having that cookie is enough incentive for me to say "no thank you."
  • Grokette
    Options

YAY, the sweet victory!!
  • ncwingnut71
    ncwingnut71 Posts: 292 Member
    Options

Good job!
  • MjDavis1981
    MjDavis1981 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I see a nutritionist, she has me on a specific plan. I have 50-60 g of carbs, 105g of protein, and I am allowed to have fat. I am insulin resistant, so I keep watch on my glucose. Was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism as well. I found out I was IR last August when the diagnosis of PCOS was confirmed. I have infertility due to the insulin. Not really wanting kids, just wanting to get back to normal.

I had gained the weight rapidly, and knew something was not quite right. After seeing several doctors, I now feel that I am finally on the right track! I have lost 25 lbs so far. I am definitely interested in learning more about the whole process as I want to keep this lifestyle and continue on my health pathway.

Thanks for the welcome!
  • Grokette
    Options
    I see a nutritionist, she has me on a specific plan. I have 50-60 g of carbs, 105g of protein, and I am allowed to have fat. I am insulin resistant, so I keep watch on my glucose. Was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism as well. I found out I was IR last August when the diagnosis of PCOS was confirmed. I have infertility due to the insulin. Not really wanting kids, just wanting to get back to normal.

I had gained the weight rapidly, and knew something was not quite right. After seeing several doctors, I now feel that I am finally on the right track! I have lost 25 lbs so far. I am definitely interested in learning more about the whole process as I want to keep this lifestyle and continue on my health pathway.

Thanks for the welcome!

I am insulin resistant that crossed over to Diabetes and hashimotos (hypo-thyroid). Just an FYI as you learn about your own body..............watch the carb amount and the protein amounts and make sure your glucose levels stay in normal range.

I found that I can only keep every in normal ranges and lose weight when I am eating around 100 grams of fat per day and considerably less protein and even less carbs.

When I gained all the weight I did, I gained 160 pounds in less than 6 months.
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome!

dittiepe, your recipes look really good!! Especially the pumpkin bake - I LOVE pumpkin. Any idea how many servings for that one? May try the pork medallions this weekend also :) By your webpage title, I take it you are in Pittsburgh? I grew up in Uniontown (35 miles south) and my hubby has family that we visit in McKeysport and Glassport.

I actually got the pumpkin bake recipe from someone off of this very thread :) I'm not sure on the serving size though.
    I live in McKeesport. Well, more like Versailles, but it's still considered McKeesport :)
  • jaycee76
    jaycee76 Posts: 325 Member
    Options

I thought the thread had got a little quiet too!
  • jaycee76
    jaycee76 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Fabulous Job! Just the thought that kicking yourself out of ketosis after such hard work makes it so much easier to resist these things for sure!
  • nrtenagrl
    nrtenagrl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Starting Atkins again after five days on vacation! I'm glad I found part 3!
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Well, I had a few small bites of cheesecake tonight....equal to about 10 carbs. My totals were above 20 NET, likely 30-35 NET, but it could have been a lot worse. I just needed a little break after 3 weeks of seeing no progress...

...back at it tomorrow, full force! I've decided to

*cut back on cheese (1 - 1 1/2 oz per day tops),
    * have 20 carbs TOTAL (not going to do NET)
    *Limit myself to 1800 mg of sodium per day

We will see if these 3 things help to kick this stall!

Hope everybody is having a great night!
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    bumping to put in my topics again:flowerforyou:
  • martinah4
    Options

Thanks, Grokette!!!
  • martinah4
    Options
    So, when people say they do low-carb, and keep it around 100 or less a day, do you think they're counting net carbs, or is that their total carbs? Just wondering...
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    FYI....off Low Carb eating for 1 week straight.....CARBS ARE MAKING ME SICKER THEN A DOG.....HEARTBURN, HEADACHE, STOMACH ACHE, CONSTIPATION!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hate CARBS!

I will be on a VLCD (Very Low Calorie Diet) and I am NOT eating crappy carbs on it!!!!!!!!!!! BRING ON THE LEAFY GREENS AND PROTEIN