WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2022

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,894 Member
    Options
    skuehn48 wrote: »
    Had my bathroom closed up for a while yesterday and when I opened it back up it smelled like gas in there. DD turned the gas off so we need to relight the pilot today.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA

What's your sewage system like?

Our toilet room does that on warmer days sometimes, but someone told me to run the water in the bathtub (which we rarely use) for a few minutes and that does seem to help.

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    Decluttering ...

For me, being able to declutter and let go has been because of significant events.

When my first husband and I separated, I was energised to want to make the place mine and get rid of that past life. I had kept all the newspapers that came into the apartment for about 7 or 8 years with some plan of making scrapbooks of cute cartoons, and files of interesting articles. Only I was working far too much to do any of that trying to make ends meet. So first thing I did was to cancel the newspaper subscription and toss the lot!!

Then I went room by room decluttering, redecorating, etc. Possibly the biggest part was my filing system. I had two full-sized filing cabinets plus quite a few additional file boxes. I got all of that down to one full-sized filing cabinet.

Then about 5 years later, I decided to move into a little suite in my parents' basement so that I could get my Bachelor of Education. A neighbour could store some of my stuff, but I had to get rid of probably 1/3 of what I had for that to happen. So I did ... and it was very hard. Very emotional. A few items were particularly difficult to get rid of and I still have twinges of sadness. But ... on the other hand, I wanted the education more than those things.

Then about 5 years later, I was getting ready to move to Australia. I was allowed 300 cubic feet. Like the size of a smallish bathroom. I wanted to bring my sofa and bicycles and they ate up a lot of the room. So I went through everything again and got rid of another 1/3 of stuff. Lots of shredding of old files, handing off books and toys to family. Took all my sheets and blankets to a shelter that was asking for those things.

I set up a large table in the garage, got my stuff out of storage, and went through each box. Items went into Keep, Toss, or Give Away piles. I'd leave the items in those piles for a few days as I went through more boxes, and might shift a few things from one to another ... and then at certain times, I'd toss the whole Toss pile and distribute the Give Away pile, then start packing the Keep.

That downsize wasn't as difficult because I'd already got rid of the things with a deeper emotional attachment and had already downsized by 1/3. One of the things I did with that downsize was to take pictures of everything.

My current husband and I have accumulated a lot of things since then, but every so often I will go through a file box or something and get rid of things. About a year ago, I attacked the bathroom - reorganised and got rid of a lot of old stuff. That was good. Again, I find doing it room by room works for me.

I need to do everything under the heading "Office" but there has been so much other stuff taking up my time that I haven't got to it yet.

Machka in Oz

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,555 Member
    Options
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,828 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    This is bone density day for me. I need to sit upright for half an hour, then I can go about my day. I take alondrate once weekly to keep my bones strong.

DH and I are living in an apartment in a senior center facility while he recovers from a heart attack. He is getting excellent support here.
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,137 Member
    Options
    G’day all. This morning I was wrestling with technology, trying to get myself organised for tomorrow (2 groups restarting) I really need to update my iPad. The poem I posted is one of my pieces for Creative Writing Group. I set an optional theme of Renewal.

Lisa: Those goals are simple but effective.
    Pip: Great job on the up-cycling
    Heather:🥰the bowl.

I’ve been trawling through old banking documents during the wet weather. Out of sight out of mind is so true. We have changed banks several times, and some of them don’t even exist anymore!!! Our shredder is working overtime 😝 lots more to get through 🤦‍♀️ I’m becoming ruthless. And Hallelujah!!! DH is finally on board.

DYD has landed safely in Boston. Her dog has settled in with us well. He spends a lot of time sleeping on the couch.

This afternoon we will Skype with the rest of the family. Our accommodation is booked for the weekend that we are taking DYGS over to his Uni.

🥳🎉 Cheers to all those celebrating.

Virtual (((hugs))) and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for those who need them.

🙋‍♀️ Miele failte to the newbies.

☘️Terri
  • Machka9
    Options
    s9la6hfgb8b0.png

We went to a train show today! Full-sized old train carriages, old buses, etc. and model trains plus their background scenery.

We like that sort of thing ... eventually, I could see him building the train side of things and me building the scenery. But we need a place for it!!

Machka in Oz
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,708 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Im up with Alfie
    Its in the 50s here so have a sweatshirt on..but sitting out on the screened porch ,Jeans place is on a cove and a loon has been trilling all morning.. a favorite of mine.just saw it swim out farther in the lake..
    Sean and Jean will be leaving around noon to go to Tanglewood, to see Van Morrison. And I will leave early in morning tomorrow and take it slow as it will be raining,and I hate driving in the rain...
    Today is my brothers 58th birthday so I treatred them to dinner last night .. we went to a very nice place called the Common Man.
    I had apple cranberry chicken.which was delicious..
    Alfie is having the time of his life up here,because he is off leash and can chase squirrels and just basically have a blast..
    Jean has been very pleasant and has filled hummingbird feeders and they are fighting over the food..
    The lake is slowly waking up a few boats out there.
    But Im enjoying it all before the weather turns
    I told Jean something about Tracy not wanting to go to the cottage anymore and now Tracy is mad at me .. oh well.. hopefully she will get over it..
    Every generation changes especially when the patriarch that held that cottage together passes and things change
    So Tracy told me she and the family wouldn't go up ever again.. and I told Jean that.
    Well Jean called Tracy and they talked all about it..but now im in hot water with Tracy for breaking her confidence. If its not one thing its another.
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    <3
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Note to self: Do not take supplements BEFORE eating, especially on Alendronate day. :sick:

Does anyone else detest haggling? While waiting at one stand at the farmers’ market today, I heard one customer ask the vendor to recount the change, he’d shorted her a twenty, the next gal was startled at the cost of her corn $4.50 for 5 or 6 ears?, so when he tole me $12 for a small zucchini, a medium crookneck and a bulb of garlic, I asked him how much the zucchini was. He said $3/pound but the garlic is $12/lb because the seed garlic cost $26/lb. He re-weighed every thing and came up with a new total of $6.50 and said must be tired as he’d been “doing this” since 9:00 am. C’mon, it was just 2:30! I didn’t mean to try to get the price down I just wanted to know what I was paying for. Now I feel cheated, how much lower would he gone if I’d tried to haggle? Hmpf. Last time I buy from his stand. Much prefer Sylvia’s where the prices per pound are clear on the chalk board and she’s always rounds the change down.
    While at the farmers’ market, a kindly elder gentleman pointed out that my car’s tags expired in August. Yikes! Told him they were probably in an envelope somewhere. He gave me a keychain led flashlight engraved with “Oregon Sheriffs’ Association” that he said he gave to all the “nice people.” Hope he didn’t think I was flirting :naughty: Checked and yes I paid, but no tags appeared during recent desktop archeology frenzy. Maybe was lost in last mailbox theft. Really have to pay better attention to informed delivery message every day. Meanwhile asked they be sent to the PO box. $10 for reissue. Sheesh.

Belated welcome back @hap2go and belated welcome @sandr5917 ! Would you both let us know what you’d like to be called and your general locale?
    Heather no effort is wasted, if the Guardian doesn’t publish the article it will come in handy elsewhere. 10 signs of healthy friendship, spot on! Love the posters, pic and the inventing board games with Grandpa activities. Johnny is a gem. Very impressed with your first time thrown pot. You have the gift!
    Margaret what was the question you answered?
    Rosemarie would you share the title of the fun novel? I’d not heard of the eyegaze computer, hope it brings your husband some joy. Really hope you can get out of the house for at least a little while the nephew and sons visit this weekend.
    Viv your Dana/Dawn/Cas take your home back decluttering and getting fit with Rick exertions are inspiring!
    Machka I wouldn’t mind a fold down clothesline like yours for sheets, but far prefer the softness of dryer dried towels ;) Do you iron your clothes? I’ve never seen magnolias like those, at first I thought they were naked lady lilies, then tulips… live and learn ;) Like you, I have little floor space for mat work. My office/dog training/music/craft/storage room is jam packed and needs some Karen and Viv attention. So much so that my pt exercises are done in the living room !
    Lanette had no idea Rose of Sharon blooms were edible. Always loved seeing them, now if they’ll grow here…
    KJ Wow for that quilt and its story. So very well-deserved. Thanks for the grands’ pics.
    Debbie prayers for your Mom’s ear surgery. Brava for walking to clear your mind. Much needed in your situation. Sounds like all your walking and dancing are having a good effect on your hips and back. 8 miles, WOW, well done!
    Sue in WA praying Nessa’s tests discover something easily and completely fixable. Gas in the bathroom?
    Rebecca Horrors! Your middle son’s bug wall would give me nightmares. :noway: Thanks for the Welcome September meme and aerial photos of Japan to cleanse the mental palate. ;)
    Michele what KJ said about your kindness to Jerry, including teaching him about boundaries. Safe travels and enjoy!
    Thanks Karen for the link to pip’s MS Ride page.
    Terri love the poem. (insert whine hear about darkness falling earlier :cry: ) Had to google “baps” ;)
    Katla ((hugs)). Are there activities in your new residence, like Yoga?
    Carla “…emotional attachment to things” I am so with you. Machka, Karen and others talk about feeling liberated and freed after decluttering. Not so me. I feel diminished, grief, loss. Then, when I finally manage to let something go, there’s the anger and frustration when the next week I could have used it. Pfaugh! I have been making progress on purging files, no emotional attachment to tax returns from 2003 ;)
    Rita saw a bumper sticker about Roswell and thought of you. ((hugs))
    Pip very creative, especially the knob. Well done! Brava on the MS Ride, it means so much to so many, not just Katla and her DH.
    Kate! So good to see your smiling face! Was just thinking about you and your holidays in the sun. Sorry to hear of the health issues, especially that you have to walk on your own. :cry:
    Allie glad you’re enjoying the cabin.
    Barbie, Karen, Heather, Machka thank you for your decluttering wistom. Hope it sinks in ;) Meanwhile, like Lisa, I won’t beat myself up for what I haven’t been able to do… yet.

And yes, Lisa, enquiring minds do want to know. Love and concerned about you.

And that’s that, caught up. Basta.

Done:
    9/3: Move: 2 sets pt, dog group. active mins:249 steps:8029
    Fuel: plants (running count for week) 9+6+2+9+2+6 so far: almonds, apple, artichoke, banana, basil-pesto, beans-red kidney, carrots, cashews, celery, cherries, coffee, cranberries-dried, cucumbers, graham flour, lettuce-American blend, mushrooms-cremini, olives-almond stuffed, onions, peach-white, peanut butter, pecans, peppers-pepperoncini, potato flour, radish, romaine, sauerkraut, spices-basil/celery seed/garlic powder/onion powder/pepper/rosemary/turmeric, spinach, tea, tomato paste, walnuts, watermelon. CI<CO=74
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, farmers’ market, post office, request replacement registration stickers, pantry purge Cheezit crisps (oops)
    Lighter, lovelies!

Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    2022: Be still and listen.
    September: Move more, fuel better, live NOW.
  • Machka9
    Options
    MAGNOLIAS! OF course, M! Makes sense. I knew I'd seen them somewhere. When we were vacationing in SC. My Auntie had the most beautiful garden and she had a magnolia tree, but it was white.

Love and Blessings, Carla, in MN

They come in white too. A house a couple down from us has a large magnolia tree filled with white flowers. It's quite magnificent!

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Machka I wouldn’t mind a fold down clothesline like yours for sheets, but far prefer the softness of dryer dried towels ;) Do you iron your clothes? I’ve never seen magnolias like those, at first I thought they were naked lady lilies, then tulips… live and learn ;) Like you, I have little floor space for mat work. My office/dog training/music/craft/storage room is jam packed and needs some Karen and Viv attention. So much so that my pt exercises are done in the living room !

Carla “…emotional attachment to things” I am so with you. Machka, Karen and others talk about feeling liberated and freed after decluttering. Not so me. I feel diminished, grief, loss. Then, when I finally manage to let something go, there’s the anger and frustration when the next week I could have used it. Pfaugh! I have been making progress on purging files, no emotional attachment to tax returns from 2003 ;)

Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    2022: Be still and listen.
    September: Move more, fuel better, live NOW.

The only way I'm going to get dryer dried towels and sheets, etc. would be to take them to a laundromat. Sometimes we talk about taking a load of bigger things there, like duvet covers and everything, but we haven't actually done it.

As I mentioned, when I did the downsize in 2004 before moving a couple provinces over to live in my parents' basement, the downsize process was very emotional. It wasn't liberating and freeing. I had set up my apartment the way I liked it in the 5 years after separating from my husband. I liked my apartment. I was very comfortable there and setting aside a lot of other aspects of life, I could have gone on living in that apartment for years and years. I would have happily moved the whole apartment with me.

However, I wasn't happy at work anymore and I wanted to move on and to accomplish more goals. In order to do that, I had to give up something I really liked. It was a tough decision and one that I didn't take lightly. In the end, when I was giving up things I liked, there were many tears. It was heart wrenching.

The first change, when I separated from my husband, was easy because I got rid of stuff I didn't like and replaced it with stuff I did like.

The second change, described above, was difficult.

The third change, when I was packing up to come to Australia wasn't so bad because mostly I got rid of stuff I could replace ... like bedding, some of my clothes, etc. and a lot of my things went to other family members. My mother took quite a number of my books ... I have a feeling they and a lot more could come back to me eventually!

These days, I'm not interested in decluttering things I like. When I did my bathroom recently, I got rid of toiletries and make up that was OLD! Stuff that smelled bad and had the consistency of cottage cheese. I had kept it all because ... one day I might use it. But no, if I felt slightly sick just catching a whiff of it, there was no way I was ever going to use it. Toss it!

A couple years ago, I did my section of my dressing room and put a number of things into a bag to take to an Op Shop. I'm not sure if they've actually gone or just disappeared downstairs. One day I'll find out. But basically, if I tried it on and it didn't look good on me or if it wasn't comfortable ... bye-bye. I wanted to be able to reach into my closet and feel happy about wearing whatever I happened to grab.

When I do something with the office, my plan is to shred whatever I don't need (i.e. old taxes etc.) and scan whatever I'd like to keep.

Machka in Oz

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,926 Member
    Options
    <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,219 Member
    Options
    Did my exercises and then managed to write half a poem about my bowl, a few notes for editing my article, and then a Facebook post and an Instagram post. :p A good Sunday morning. o:)

Love Heather UK xxxxxx
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    No yoga here. I miss it.
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Auntiebk thank you for your donation!!!!!