What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,174 Member
    Options
    Rowing again, back in bow of the quad.

The university water ski team was out practicing in the buoy course downstream of our boathouse, so rather than our usual bridge-to-bridge circuit, we did a double loop on the upstream end. That's the slightly larger part of the loop, so we ended up with 9151m, rather than the usual 7k-ish.

We did a number of 10 and 15 stroke power pieces, usually 15 more moderate strokes between. Before and after the row, we helped the club president move some double/quad boats off and back to racks, so she could work on them or to rearrange.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    swimmom_1 wrote: »
    @Djproulx
    That looks amazing & a fun time! For you. The amazing & fun time for me, would be to watch!

It will be a lot of fun. @swimmom_1 With your screen name and elliptical endurance, you might surprise yourself if you signed up and did the race. Swim and bike would be fun, then a short run to finish!
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »
    swimmom_1 wrote: »
    @Djproulx
    That looks amazing & a fun time! For you. The amazing & fun time for me, would be to watch!

It will be a lot of fun. @swimmom_1 With your screen name and elliptical endurance, you might surprise yourself if you signed up and did the race. Swim and bike would be fun, then a short run to finish!

@Djproulx My 4 boys were the competitive swimmers. I was the mom! We called the moms of the swimmers, a swim mom. Kind of like a Soccer mom. My oldest son is the one who made my first email moniker. He is now 37. (37, 35, 33 & 26) I am the one who pushed the swimming. As being a nurse, I used to work in Pediatrics and had taken care of near drownings. I look at the ability to swim, as a life skill.
  • swimmom_1
    Options
    Elliptical, 195 minutes for 13.45 miles.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    @Lietchi, I'm so impressed that you did the 5k race, in the face of fears about it! That's a much more important thing, IMO, than exactly where you ended up in the rankings. Yay, you!

As an aside, I wonder whether your HRmax may be somewhat higher than your Garmin thinks it is, even as I accept and appreciate that you were working really hard, really pushing.

Just an excellent thing you've accomplished, all the way around.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    The standard Saturday AM row, in bow of the double with a rowing buddy I haven't rowed that boat with previously this season, the usual roughly 7k.

We were having some technical issues, so we did a few "slightly increased power" intervals, but not full-effort power. (I was not feeling enthusiastic about turning the row into a swim - never am, really. Hate swimming, even when I mean to be swimming, let alone when I mean to be rowing or canoeing or something.)
  • goldenxbeauty
    goldenxbeauty Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    80 minutes of splitting and relaying firewood out of the bush.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,089 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was a full day (for me...some of y'all do more on a daily basis!). Day started off at the gym doing first 5km hills on the elliptical, followed by a full-body weight lifting session (deadlifts, hack squat, DB press/row, DB front/side/rear raises, DB curl/extend). Then I spent two+ hours in the back yard pulling weeds, enough to fill an entire garbage can.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,262 Member
    Options
    Short paddle with a new friend.

We met at the ramp, explored a side channel up to where it is blocked by a log jam, then back out to the mainstem and upstream a couple miles.

The smoke was pretty bad. My new friend was smart enough to wear a mask. I wasn't. I felt kind of ill by the time we were done.

Cedar Creek Fire blew up overnight. It grew by over 32,000 acres and blew across all the containment lines. It had been 12% contained for days on end, now it's back to zero and up to 86,000 acres.

• janicemlove
    janicemlove Posts: 435 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    dup
  • swimmom_1
    Options
    Elliptical 185 minutes for 12.76 miles.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    @Lietchi - Congrats on your race! 5k races are very hard, since you're typically going at max effort the whole time. Your HR numbers tell that story pretty clearly!
  • Djproulx
    Options
    Long ride yesterday. Seven of us went out for just over 40 miles. Heat was more than expected, so I was fairly well shot when I got home.

Today we spent the day on an island that is a long thin beach. After a few hours of sitting, we walked the 2.3 miles of sandy beach on the island. It was a nice rest day.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 983 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    I organised a last minute diving trip on our club rib for the weekend. Four of us showed up. The weather was pretty nice; some sunshine; minimal rain and 3 gusting 4 on Saturday with less wind on Sunday.

On Saturday, we started with a shallow dive. It was nice. I believe I was assaulted by a seal, although I never saw it. (The other divers saw him. I felt resistance against my fins which is typical of a seal having a nibble, but I assumed my buoyancy was rubbish and didn't look back.) We spent most of our time inside the wreck; there are many exits so you can do this without needing to reel off.

Then we aimed to do a deeper wreck dive. The current was running a lot when we got there, which was expected as we wanted a decent amount of time to shot the wreck. It was springs, so the slack window was brief. The tide broke a rope on the shot line.

A shot line is a heavy weight attached to rope attached to, in this case, 2 small buoys attached to 1 large buoy. The aim is to get the heavy weight on the wreck so you have a line to descend to get on the wreck. The small buoys remain under the surface if the tide is running, and plop up when it slackens off. So they give a visual guide as to how diveable the wreck is.

The rope between the big buoy and the the small buoys sheared off. We recovered the big buoy, but the small ones weren't buoyant enough to make the surface. We marked the location with a man overboard on the boat's charts. We didn't get a second dive

We came back on Sunday to see if we could recover it. The wreck was really dark. It became clear that we'd need a huge amount of luck to find the shot. So after about 5 minutes, we switched from working dive mode to fun dive. It was a really nice dive, with conger, crab, lobster and many blennies on the wreck.

We only did the one dive as the logistics were hard. (Most people needed a fill, and slack window was low. I was on 110 bar on my twinset, which is actually enough for a third dive. My air consumption on UK dives with a twinset is a Surface Air Consupmption of 15l/minute, which is reasonably low.)

I lifted weights when I got home, doing:
    Bench, 3 sets of 5, 50 kgs.
    Deadlift, 3 sets of 7, 100 kgs.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Took Wed, Thursday and Friday off last week to take my wife to Scottsdale for a couple of days and to go to Phoenix for a Keith Urban concert. Not a huge country fan, but Keith Urban does a great show. We had a blast there.

Did 70 minutes of easy cardio yesterday. 20 minutes walking at 15% incline on the treadmill, then 20 something on the LateralX and 20 something on the AD Pro (Assault Bike). Also paddled around in the pool for another 30 minutes or so.
  • DSpence1973
    DSpence1973 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Today is day 32 of #75Hard challenge. Did 4 mile Run/Walk this morning for my outside 45 minutes. On my lunch hour I will do a 50 min full body strength training.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Must have slept wrong, because I woke up with a sore lower back, to go along with the stiff hamstrings I've been dealing with all weekend. Given my age and the fact it's been 10 weeks since my last gym break, I'm gonna take this week off and just recover.

I think you're right on track with the tight hammies having something to do with your back.

Year ago, I met a guy was really well known (he worked on my wife -- she had Piriformis Syndrome at that time) for muscle work. This guy worked a ton of famous athletes out of Cincinnati (MLB Pitchers, NFL players, etc.). He used to go out to work with Harvey Lewis, 2 time Badwater winner, during his races.

My wife's sessions would last an hour or so and we'd sit and chat. He always talked about how connected the fascia was with back/skeletal issues. It's amazing how tightness can strain bones/joints out of line. Hope the week off does some good!