Coronavirus prep

Replies

• COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,145 Member
    COGypsy wrote: »
    @COGypsy
    Yeah, it was hard enough to deal with food when my senses were stronger. Now I seem to be stuck in a crazy binge/restrict cycle. Not because I'm trying to keep my calories low, but because nothing sounds good to eat and I don't have strong hunger urges generally, so I just don't eat. Then eventually my body has enough of that and I eat everything that isn't nailed down. I thought I was pretty sick when I had COVID, but this post-viral stuff has been no joke.

My neighbor is going through this, but her sense of smell has not returned. Nothing really tastes good, so she makes homemade, hot potato chips on the daily. She wants a salty crunch, followed by a sweet chaser. She's mixing corn syrup, oatmeal, peanut butter and cocoa powder together. She's living on potato chips and sugar bombs.

At least none of that stuff can spoil, that’s a positive. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve gotten sick because I can’t use the “sniff test” any more. Cottage cheese, yogurt, bagged salad, meat….I pretty much live in a single serving world now because no food can be trusted.

The issue I’ve got is that I cook good nutritious food, which I know isn’t mouldy. But then it tastes mouldy so I can’t eat it. I’ve ruined fish, meat, vegetables, cake, chocolate- anything with a flavour. And I usually love my decaf cup of tea but that tastes vile too. I need to eat quite a lot of protein for my sport and I’m just not doing it. Blasted virus.

The worst for me was ironically that my taste came back first. So I couldn't smell food burning, but could totally taste the char! I've been taking a regimen of supplements that I really do think have helped (n=1 of course, but several parts of it were recommended by docs I work with. I work at a medical school and my department houses most of the specialties involved in treating and researching COVID). If you want to send me a friend request, I'd be happy to share in more detail. I'm not sure it's very interesting to the rest of the people in this thread.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,747 Member
    @yirara great news that the virus is declining in your bod! I was SO HAPPY yesterday in that I was able to schedule and get my bivalent moderna in the afternoon, and did not have to wait until the 30th. I haven't had a booster since Nov 21 so it's timely for me and I will get a flu shot at work in a few weeks. It reminded me of when the vaccines first came out and you just had to keep looking to get an appt.

Either the cases are ramping up again or it's a big coincidence that quite a few folks I know are getting sick. And this new round of Omicron appears to be more flu like than the last one which was mostly a razor sore throat for many in Jan/Feb.

I was looking at our work #s because those reflect reality in our little microcosm vs official #s anymore due to home testing etc... the spike we had in mid July was similar to the one we had in Jan. Our county in Jan was red but in Jul it never got about yellow. I hope that means that less folks are having to go to the hospital and treatments are easier to procure. But I think part of it is the underreporting as well.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    I don't know if this will help those of you who lost taste/smell because of COVID, but when I have a bad cold and lose some taste/smell, I eat a lot of spicy Asian soup, and this does get through to my senses.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    @yirara great news that the virus is declining in your bod! I was SO HAPPY yesterday in that I was able to schedule and get my bivalent moderna in the afternoon, and did not have to wait until the 30th. I haven't had a booster since Nov 21 so it's timely for me and I will get a flu shot at work in a few weeks. It reminded me of when the vaccines first came out and you just had to keep looking to get an appt.

Either the cases are ramping up again or it's a big coincidence that quite a few folks I know are getting sick. And this new round of Omicron appears to be more flu like than the last one which was mostly a razor sore throat for many in Jan/Feb.

I was looking at our work #s because those reflect reality in our little microcosm vs official #s anymore due to home testing etc... the spike we had in mid July was similar to the one we had in Jan. Our county in Jan was red but in Jul it never got about yellow. I hope that means that less folks are having to go to the hospital and treatments are easier to procure. But I think part of it is the underreporting as well.

Thanks a lot :) And so glad for you that you got the new shot. I don't think it's available here yet but I keep my eyes peeled and will get it eventually.

Here it's totally a case of underreporting. My GP wouldn't want to see me and basically nobody cared whether I got an official pcr test or not :( I got one nonetheless, after some searching on where I could do this. From what I heard, a massive amount of colleagues is off sick. Basically, most of management in my department is sick as they were in the same meeting with an infected person. Some of them don't care and still come to work >:) There's a big department meeting later next week, and I will not come in, basically saying I'm still testing positive. I'm sure I'll manage some coughs and sick looks during Teams meetings. Some colleagues have said the same. Glad I'm 80% home office anyway.
  • smithker75
    smithker75 Posts: 80 Member
    @COGypsy
    Yeah, it was hard enough to deal with food when my senses were stronger. Now I seem to be stuck in a crazy binge/restrict cycle. Not because I'm trying to keep my calories low, but because nothing sounds good to eat and I don't have strong hunger urges generally, so I just don't eat. Then eventually my body has enough of that and I eat everything that isn't nailed down. I thought I was pretty sick when I had COVID, but this post-viral stuff has been no joke.

My neighbor is going through this, but her sense of smell has not returned. Nothing really tastes good, so she makes homemade, hot potato chips on the daily. She wants a salty crunch, followed by a sweet chaser. She's mixing corn syrup, oatmeal, peanut butter and cocoa powder together. She's living on potato chips and sugar bombs.

Wow, that is exactly like my experience. I only ate hot chips and vegemite wholemeal bread sandwiches for a solid week (Australian here). It was akin to pregnancy cravings/tolerances. I've not heard of anyone else that had such distinct food preferences with COVID.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Someone I know had Covid in Jan & still says things taste like soap. Yuck!
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,981 Member
    Not sure it's covid related - had my round with covid a couple months ago, and recovered like normal. No lingering symptoms. Then last week had a very mild virus - like, a canker sore, very slight congestion (like had to blow my nose in the morning and a few times during the day) - then it was clearing up and noticed a metallic taste in my mouth. Now my sense of taste is greatly diminished - smell is not though (from my new normal anyways) only taste. Sweet, salty, sour all very diminished. Food just tastes - bland more than anything. Once I'm not overtly hungry I have no desire to keep eating despite how good something smelled and I wanted to eat it.

Some tastes coming through - sitting here with a cup of lemon ginger tea (no sugar added) and can taste that in full - but my coffee tasted black this morning even though my normal creamer was in there....I think I want things, then they have no flavor and I'm just "meh" about them.

Might make intuitive eating very possible though LOL!

Could be a million things - but just odd. I hadn't bothered taking a covid test since I just had that...
  • Hiawassee88
    Hiawassee88 Posts: 35,754 Member
    I'm receiving my tweaked vax in a few days. The hair of the dog cures the bite. 🥰 Here's to a good hair day for everyone.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    lokihen wrote: »
    My parents are seeing an upsurge in their circle of people. One friend went to the clinic while positive wearing a mask. He was surprised the nurse wasn't wearing one, she said she has had it 5 times. Then the doctor, no mask, said he's had it 4 times.

Mom fell and fractured ribs last month. Coughing still hurts so she is extra diligent to not catch it.

Huh, here in Massachusetts masks are still required for everyone in a health care setting, which includes places like my Mom's eye doctor and physical therapy.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,668 Member
    So I had the 'rona in late July, knocked me out for about 10 days and took most of August to start feeling "normal". Then around 2 weeks ago, I started feeling like I had it again, exactly the same symptoms. Kept testing negative, for 'rona and everything else, but it was all back - the cough, the exhaustion, the razor throat, the huge dizziness on coughing (which I've not had before 'rona), the headaches and fatigue. I still haven't kicked it, I can function but I'm definitely not well again. It's so frustrating. I don't know if it's some other virus or long Covid or what.

Did you get the anti-viral meds? There are a lot of rebound cases in people who get the anti-virals. I don't know what the percentage is, but it seems to be fairly common.